Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

sjconstable 25th October 2011 05:44 AM

The House of the Devil, what a pleasant surprise! It kept me in suspense throughout, and I do love a good occult horror. The main girl looked just like Suzy Bannion from Suspiria in parts haha! 7.5/10.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th October 2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 192679)
I wouldn't say they were OTT judging from what I hear every day :) The number of kids who pass by my window 'chatting' like that means I've become inured to it to some degree, but I'd say Cornish and those actors did a spot on job of representing a slice of London youth culture - blud :tongue1:

(The lurking pedant in me wants to say it's south London too ;) )

In order to write my review, I went through all the extra features and it's surprising how little acting the kids did in terms of their voices, with some sounding exactly like the characters when casually chatting offscreen.

Also, it was set in South London, where Joe Cornish lived for a while and was mugged, something he used for inspiration.

Make Them Die Slowly 25th October 2011 09:06 AM

"Crypt of Dark Secrets", terribly dull and slow moving witchcraft/voodoo film by the director of "Mardi Gras Massacre" enlivened every so often by a greasy looking witch shaking her hoodoo humps in a series of ritual dances. However this SWV release contains the excellently titled, LSD short film "Acid Skull" which is worth a look for fans of psychedelic bump and grind.

DryJack 25th October 2011 09:43 AM

Watched "Zombie Diaries 2". The acting and story were actually a lot better than I thought they'd be but the zombies were lame. I love slow moving zombies but these guys pretty much stood still!

Also watched "The Pack". I just love French horror at the moment and although this isn't the best film ever it had a great atmosphere and some nice moments. The old woman was a brilliant character and the creatures were cool. The scene when you first see them crawl out of the ground was great.

PaulD 25th October 2011 09:54 AM

Watched Paranormal Activity 1 and 2 late last night as I'm off to see the third one tonight. Still pretty enjoyable and scary even if the jump shock stuff gets a bit forumaulaic after a while. Was surprised how much of the 3rd one seems to be hinted at in the first two, if my suspicions are correct.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th October 2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryJack (Post 192718)
Watched "Zombie Diaries 2". The acting and story were actually a lot better than I thought they'd be but the zombies were lame. I love slow moving zombies but these guys pretty much stood still!

Also watched "The Pack". I just love French horror at the moment and although this isn't the best film ever it had a great atmosphere and some nice moments. The old woman was a brilliant character and the creatures were cool. The scene when you first see them crawl out of the ground was great.

I also enjoyed The Pack. It stands out from the rest as its not the ususal bunch of high school brats in the cast.

InDogWeTrust 25th October 2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 192730)
I also enjoyed The Pack. It stands out from the rest as its not the ususal bunch of high school brats in the cast.

I won The Pack here on Cult Labs a while back...I still have yet to watch it, Should do that sometime soon!

Rik 25th October 2011 03:31 PM

Just had a double bill of kids films with my boys. Flushed Away first, excellent Aardman film with a great cast of voices followed by Wall:E, even though the title character is a rip off of Jonny 5 from the Short Circuit films, still a highly enjoyable film as is to be expected from Pixar, I'm yet to see a bad film from them.

Sometimes, dead is better

Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. 25th October 2011 06:12 PM

Watched The Last Circus the other night, absolutely insane. Wonderful Blu. Easily his most polished film to date. Hopefully it will sell well and lead to more of his films getting awesome high def releases.

pedromonkey 25th October 2011 10:12 PM

what did i watch hmmm....

A Christmas Carol: the new Version directed by Robert Zemekis, boring as chuff, just a straight version of the book and the mocap animation was just creepy, there was no heart in the film, I'll be sticking to the muppet version from now on.

Step Brothers: Normally cannot stand Will Ferrel but i find this film hysterical, i shouldn't but it's that dumb gross out childish comedy that you need sometimes.

The Quest: Jean Claude Van Damme directs this adventure film that's a cross between Mortal Kombat and Allan Quartermain. Dunno why this is an 18, there's barely any violence apart from the fight scenes, but they're really shot, good film though.