Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th June 2017 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 537371)
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back. 2016

the lovely Cobie Smolders

Smulders actually but smolders fits her well. ;)

Justin101 10th June 2017 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 537397)
Just watched T2.

Very good,but very serious in comparison with the first!

My,my how we've all gotten older eh?

I too felt older with the cast and characters.....I was only 24 when I saw the original!:scared:

Choose Life....it goes in too fast!

I seriously thought you were talking about Terminator 2 until I got to the last sentence. I was wondering what you were going on about lol...

Buboven 10th June 2017 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 537321)
Sleep Tight (2011)

Spanish star Luis Tosar plays a concierge in a Spanish apartment block who feels he can never be happy. Dignified in his work but seemingly on a course of self destruction as he plots to make the lives of the tenants miserable, especially the lovely Clara.

The film veers into a twisted psychopathic world as Tosar breaks into Clara's apartment hides under her bed at night, waits until she's asleep before chloroforming her and....

Sadly director Jaume Balagueró in a way lets the side down by erring on the side of caution. The whole idea is far creepier and scarier than what actually plays out on screen. It certainly starts with us feeling uncomfortable watching this sleazy invasion of privacy but rather than going all out twisted horror Sleep Tight becomes more of a Hitchcockian chiller as other characters are introduced.

Having said that Sleep Tight is still an excellent film, it's brilliantly paced with tour-de-force performances and an ending which is highly unsatisfactory if you are looking for sweetness and light.

Saw this at Frightfest many years ago and was one of my very favourites of the festival, extremely well done :clap:

Cinematic Shocks 10th June 2017 11:46 PM

The Belko Experiment (2016)

***1/2 out of *****

LaughingWindows 11th June 2017 12:31 AM

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...psxkozkkcq.jpg I enjoy seeing Gere taking some really diverse roles, he is really good here, and the story if predictable is good but its just not enough for anything really solid overall. 6/10

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...psutjzsw0g.jpg Fairly effective. Good story and performances. No real surprises though. 7/10

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...psyd9qvmbz.jpg

Really enjoy watching this movie always through the years until the ending. Nearly ruins the whole experience for me. I wish Crenna had done more roles like this as he is effective here as he was in Ghost Ship. He really would have found a very comfortable yet prolific niche in horror. 7.5/10

trebor8273 11th June 2017 04:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwA_ar7_qUw

I know its considered a classic but I found it to be overly long and on the whole unfunny apart from a few scene's. But reading online this film has aged the worst of all the movies and the others are a lot better, but as I didn't really enjoy this I don't know if I will like the others. 5/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th June 2017 04:52 PM

Round up time.

:star::star::star::star:

Santa Fe (1951)

A thoroughly enjoyable western starring the venerable Randolph Scott about the laying of the Santa Fe railroad through Kansas and into New Mexico. Nicely plotted with both major and local problems for Scott to deal with including rival railroad companies and his three brothers who keep robbing his paymasters. It digs a bit deeper into the outcome of the Civil War and the tensions which ensue even after guns were laid down than the majority of westerns do. Lively, pacy and well acted. Santa Fe is a recommended western.

:star::star::star:

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016)

As with the first film i haven't read any of Lee Childs Jack Reacher stories so neither know nor care if Tom Cruise is the epitome of Reacher. What i do know is just like the 2012 film Jack Reacher: Never Go Back is a rollicking action thriller with breathless set pieces and in my opinion a terrific lead star. Not many people make films like this anymore so i for one am grateful to the likes of Cruise and Vin Diesel for still producing escapist action movies.

:star::star:

Clown (2014)

An interesting idea - a clown costume is actually the skin of an ancient demon and becomes part of it's wearer as he slowly takes the shape of the demon once more - it has echoes of Krampus and is only partially successful. More character study than horror film which is a pity as it could have been an outstanding slasher film. The clown costume and make up as our poor clown unravels is very good but in truth this isn't a patch on Ross Noble's Stitches (2012) in the clown horror movie stakes

Confessions of a Pop Performer (1975)

Robin Askwith gets up to more saucy shenanigans in this 70's sex comedy. Supported by the likes of Tony Booth, Doris Hare, Bill Maynard, Carol Hawkins and Jill Gascoine (who certainly shows she has a gentle touch) Confessions of a Pop Performer is of it's time but proves a bit of escapist fun. Think Carry On! with smuttier jokes, tons of nudity and naturally Askwith's arse and you'll get the picture.

:star:

Beach Babes 2: Cave Girl Island (1995)

Wow! This was bad. Whereas the first Beach Babes film was a bit of fun with a semi-decent story, this is plotless, lifeless, rubbish. In this a trio of sexy alien girls land on earth during the stone age and... well it's just an excuse for a series of overlong softcore sex scenes. Stupidly i watched the uncut version. Next time, if indeed there is a next time i'll definitely opt for the cut version in the hope some of the unsexy sex is heavily trimmed. Total garbage which barely deserves a star rating.

J Harker 11th June 2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 537456)
:star::star::star::star:m
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016)
As with the first film i haven't read any of Lee Childs Jack Reacher stories so neither know nor care if Tom Cruise is the epitome of Reacher. What i do know is just like the 2012 film Jack Reacher: Never Go Back is a rollicking action thriller with breathless set pieces and in my opinion a terrific lead star. Not many people make films like this anymore so i for one am grateful to the likes of Cruise and Vin Diesel for still producing escapist action movies.

:star::star:

Clown (2014)

An interesting idea - a clown costume is actually the skin of an ancient demon and becomes part of it's wearer as he slowly takes the shape of the demon once more - it has echoes of Krampus and is only partially successful. More character study than horror film which is a pity as it could have been an outstanding slasher film. The clown costume and make up as our poor clown unravels is very good but in truth this isn't a patch on Ross Noble's Stitches (2012) in the clown horror movie stakes touch)

Thought you'd enjoy Reacher, seems a no brainer if you liked the first.
Surprised on Clown though Dem. I'll have to try Stitches again, i turned it off after ten mins as it seemed slightly very shit.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th June 2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 537460)
Thought you'd enjoy Reacher, seems a no brainer if you liked the first.
Surprised on Clown though Dem. I'll have to try Stitches again, i turned it off after ten mins as it seemed slightly very shit.

The way my :star: system works is thus.

Five stars is for exceptional films only. Four for very good ones. Three for good ones, two for average ones, films i might get rid of but most likely keep hold of, and one star for drek.

So there's every chance i'll keep hold of Clown and give it another go.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th June 2017 06:32 PM

I also watched Clown recently and didn't think it was as good as Stitches.

Rik 11th June 2017 06:55 PM

Never seen Stitches because I'm not a fan of Ross Noble, I'm guessing it's worth a watch then?
For the record, I've only seen Clown once, but I did enjoy it :nod:

trebor8273 11th June 2017 06:56 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAa5K-NrBqM

A group of mercenaries steal 3 million dollar's and force a pilot and his daughter to help them esacpe , one of their number double crosses them and esacpes with the money, they set out to hunt him down and recover the money. But soon becomes apparent that they have bigger problems than a double cross and stolen money. Creepy with some good kills but another film I don't understand why is in the slasher collection, just like children of the corn films and dead of winter. I don't count it as a slasher 7/10

Now watching Possession.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th June 2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 537469)
I also watched Clown recently and didn't think it was as good as Stitches.

I'm the same, but the difference in quality and enjoyment between them is small; I really enjoyed Clown.

Deadite 11th June 2017 07:47 PM

Stitches is ridiculous. How it got made i'll never know. :pound:

trebor8273 11th June 2017 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 537477)
Stitches is ridiculous. How it got made i'll never know. :pound:

In a good way or bad way?

trebor8273 11th June 2017 09:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTB15PPtMyA

Can't really count this as a straight out horror its more of a psychological and domestic drama with horror element's. It starts with the deterioration of a marrage and as the film goes on a decent into madness for both parties. As the film moves on it all becomes more and more surreal and disturbing as we find the wife is having multiply affairs and possibly with some strange creature. Fantastically shot and great use of the city its shot in which gives a great sense of desolation. Fine acting from both leads. No way that a film like this should of been included in the video nasty list. The scifi film that the director did called the silver globe looked very lntresting from what was showing in the extras, shame it was never finished. 10/10

Now watching

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th June 2017 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Shinjuku Incident (2009)

Jackie Chan stars as Steelhead, an illegal immigrant in Tokyo, who after a series of run-ins with the Yakuza, rises to power as the Don of Chinese illegal immigrants.

Ultra violent mob war thriller in which Chan plays against type and uses no martial arts whatsoever. Feeling like China's answer to Film Noir The Shinjuku Incident mixes family affairs with gang warfare giving you a set of characters you care about thus making it all the more shocking when the brutal violence erupts.

One of the best Jackie Chan films in years, a real breath of fresh air thanks to the lack of comedy.

Recommended.

Cinematic Shocks 11th June 2017 10:28 PM

Centurion (2010)

***1/2 out *****

Make Them Die Slowly 12th June 2017 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 537492)
The Shinjuku Incident (2009)

Jackie Chan stars as Steelhead, an illegal immigrant in Tokyo, who after a series of run-ins with the Yakuza, rises to power as the Don of Chinese illegal immigrants.

Ultra violent mob war thriller in which Chan plays against type and uses no martial arts whatsoever. Feeling like China's answer to Film Noir The Shinjuku Incident mixes family affairs with gang warfare giving you a set of characters you care about thus making it all the more shocking when the brutal violence erupts.

One of the best Jackie Chan films in years, a real breath of fresh air thanks to the lack of comedy.

Recommended.

Love this film, Chan is great playing against type in a serious role.

keirarts 12th June 2017 06:55 AM

The mummy (2017)

There's a good film somewhere in the mummy, or maybe just an acceptable one. Sadly layers of 'universe building' and Tom Cruise in a role clearly not written for Tom Cruise means the end result is a bizarre mess that probably torpedo's Universals stupidly titled Dark universe. Lets be fair here, they had the monsters cross over back in the original monster cycle, however at this point the studio had run out of things to do with the characters and they would be soon giving Abbot and costello some of their best films.
The mummy has some grim appeal to it. I found myself unintentionally chuckling and in fairness they don't drag the thing out for two and a half hours like Batman v Superman, so while it has some similarities to BVS given the choice I'd probably watch the mummy. All it really leaves is the question, how the hell did they get Tom Cruise in this $120 million B-movie car crash? My theory, secret gay videos.

Nostalgic 12th June 2017 11:49 AM

Attempting to watch a blade in the dark for about the 4th time this month. It's a great film & I love it, but every time I've put it on previously, eithrr chores, family or me being knackered & unable to concentrate (so have gone to bed) have stopped me, now I think I'll last the whole film as have day off!

Just curious, people on here seem to watch a phenomenal number of films (not since college/being single have I managed to marathon a tv show or watch more than two films a week if I'm lucky), I was just wondering how any members with family/full time job/lots of bills manages to do it?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!:thankingyou:

Demoncrat 12th June 2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 537533)
Attempting to watch a blade in the dark for about the 4th time this month. It's a great film & I love it, but every time I've put it on previously, eithrr chores, family or me being knackered & unable to concentrate (so have gone to bed) have stopped me, now I think I'll last the whole film as have day off!

Just curious, people on here seem to watch a phenomenal number of films (not since college/being single have I managed to marathon a tv show or watch more than two films a week if I'm lucky), I was just wondering how any members with family/full time job/lots of bills manages to do it?

Well I can only say here that I no longer watch tv per se. But then I have no 'distractions' either ahem. Sheer force of will?? Hence my preference for double bills .....;)

Susan Foreman 12th June 2017 12:12 PM

Quote:

At least you have already seen the film

I have never seen 'Stand By Me'. Every time I was shown on the television, and I set the video to record it, something would happen and the video would break - heads gone, motor went etc

I have now built up such a complex regarding that film, any time I now see it advertised on television, I get myself ready for a disaster to strike something electrical that I own!

Nostalgic 12th June 2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 537537)
At least you have already seen the film

I have never seen 'Stand By Me'. Every time I was shown on the television, and I set the video to record it, something would happen and the video would break - heads gone, motor went etc

I have now built up such a complex regarding that film, any time I now see it advertised on television, I get myself ready for a disaster to strike something electrical that I own!

Lol! Reminds me of the eight (yes eight!) times I attempted to see Hard Rain in my youth (yep, christian slater, morgan freeman, speedboats etc), twice at the cinema (projection system broke 5 mins in, then a screening was "oversold"-ie: they accidentally sold me tickets to a corporate screening & then wouldnt let me in), loads of attempts to rent either "sold out" or buggeered tapes, then same thing, blank tapes broke as I tried to tape it on tv. Finally watched it on channel 5, sadly not worth the effort, lol!

trebor8273 12th June 2017 07:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGbyNhMHc6U

A bunch of zombies, mutants come out of an airplane and start killing and infecting those in there path. Which is all just an excuse to get from one kill scene to another. Its OK but really never understood the point of the groundhog day/ Dallas ending. We have two copy's of the film with neither being brillant picture quality the arrow when when it doesn't have any damage looks great but the damage is so often its not worth watching, while the other is to soft. 6/10

Tonights viewings

Justin101 12th June 2017 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 537591)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGbyNhMHc6U

We have two copy's of the film with neither being brillant picture quality the arrow when when it doesn't have any damage looks great but the damage is so often its not worth watching, while the other is to soft. 6/10

Personally I prefer to watch the version with the film damage, as you say the good bits look really good, the damaged bits can be a bit annoying but it's mainly at the beginning and gets better as the films goes on :)

trebor8273 12th June 2017 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 537601)
Personally I prefer to watch the version with the film damage, as you say the good bits look really good, the damaged bits can be a bit annoying but it's mainly at the beginning and gets better as the films goes on :)

I switched to the other version after about 10-15 minutes as the damage seemed to be constant

Justin101 12th June 2017 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 537603)
I switched to the other version after about 10-15 minutes as the damage seemed to be constant

That's a shame, after the airport bit it gets significantly better, a few bad spots for the odd second here and there but not consistently throughout. Next time you watch it I recommend you persevere with it.

It's odd that they didn't do a composite version really.

Demoncrat 12th June 2017 08:18 PM

Hugo Stiglitz. That is all. ;)

Rites Of Spring (2011, Padraig Reynolds)

I would rather sit through the honest nonsense of NC one more time than peruse another po faced modern horror film. This being one such of that genre. Starts off in serial killer territory with two women being abducted it then switches to a bunch of kidnappers who abduct a child for the usual financial reasons. Doesn't quite go where I wanted it to ... and AJ Bowen's in it. Ahem. 4/10.

Cinematic Shocks 12th June 2017 08:26 PM

Out of Time (2003)

*** out of *****

Die Hard (1988)

****1/2 out of *****

J Harker 12th June 2017 09:07 PM

Quote:

Its something which genuinely does frustrate me Nostalgic. When i was younger watching films was pretty much all i did. It was a nice safe world to retreat to away from the less than favourable reality. Being able to watch what i want when i want is something i miss dearly. I wouldn't change marriage and kids for anything but i do often wish the missus could appreciate how much it means to me.

MrBarlow 12th June 2017 10:05 PM

Quote:

I don't have my own family but got a Mrs and she is hard work lol and got bills to pay, I do night security in a building and some nights are quieter than others, thats how I watch a lot of movies. Respect to others with families hats off to you.

SymbioticFunction 12th June 2017 11:57 PM

Watched Guillermo del Toro's Hellboy II: The Golden Army from 2008.

I would describe it as a comedic fantasy film (rather than a comedic superhero film). Is a very enjoyable movie that has outstanding make-up and practical effects, and also only uses cgi when seemingly absolutely necessary.

Actors are on top-form throughout and the story and script are well-written, I would highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't already seen it. Both this and the original film are well above par for comic book adaptions. Film score - 8.5/10.

btw Is a great shame that the franchise is apparently being rebooted instead of Hellboy III getting the green light. :(

Justin101 13th June 2017 08:22 AM

I might be in the minority but I prefer Hellboy II over the first film! I love both mind you, I could watch Guillermo del Toro films all day long. Even Pacific Rim...

trebor8273 13th June 2017 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 537638)
I might be in the minority but I prefer Hellboy II over the first film! I love both mind you, I could watch Guillermo del Toro films all day long. Even Pacific Rim...

i liked pacific it was a lot better kaiju film than Godzilla was, maybe not his best work but there always entertaining

bleakshaun 13th June 2017 08:26 AM

Quote:

i'm the same except for one detail, david hyde pierce as abe

trebor8273 13th June 2017 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 537641)
i'm the same except for one detail, david hyde pierce as abe

all the times i have seen them and i never knew it was him.

iank 13th June 2017 08:56 AM

I was thinking of going to see The Mummy today, but changed my mind, not least because of all the bad reviews. Instead I went to the video shop and rented a bunch of flicks, including Logan. Logan - aka Wolverine - is ekeing out a meagre existence as a chauffeur in 2029, trying to look after an ailing Professor Xavier (Patrick Stewart) in a world where mutants are dying out. Trying to stay under the radar, Logan instead finds himself becoming an initially reluctant bodyguard to a young girl being hunted by powerful forces and who has some very familiar powers... Hugh Jackman's stint as Wolverine comes to an end in this 2017 superhero flick that is darker than the norm - and certainly earns its R rating with the bloodletting. Pretty good, if a bit overrated and about half an hour too long. ;)

SymbioticFunction 13th June 2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

I honestly find it difficult to choose a favourite out of the 2 Hellboy films. I think both movies are excellent. Having said that, I might give the edge to the second film as I find the Johann Krauss and Hellboy interplay hilarious. :)

Must admit that I wasn't very fond of Pacific Rim - ended up selling it off. Have seen all his films but must confess that the only del Toro films I like enough to keep a physical blu-ray copy of, are Mimic, Blade 2, Pan's Labyrinth, and Hellboy 1 and 2. Still...five films ain't so bad.

Justin101 13th June 2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 537674)
I honestly find it difficult to choose a favourite out of the 2 Hellboy films. I think both movies are excellent. Having said that, I might give the edge to the second film as I find the Johann Krauss and Hellboy interplay hilarious. :)

Must admit that I wasn't very fond of Pacific Rim - ended up selling it off. Have seen all his films but must confess that the only del Toro films I like enough to keep a physical blu-ray copy of, are Mimic, Blade 2, Pan's Labyrinth, and Hellboy 1 and 2. Still...five films ain't so bad.

Even The Devil's Backbone? I personally think that's his best film.