Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179618Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2011, 11:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

CHILDREN OF THE CORN, one of the 80s horrors that just passed me by(despite coverage in Fangoria) just seemed like a rip on THE OMEN. Never bothered on video, but picked it up on dvd in a Poundshop, turns out it's a pretty good mid-west USA horror more in common with THE WICKER MAN(not in the same league, of course) but much better than I expected. A good double with PHANTASM maybe.
Old 26th October 2011, 04:28 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
CHILDREN OF THE CORN, one of the 80s horrors that just passed me by(despite coverage in Fangoria) just seemed like a rip on THE OMEN. Never bothered on video, but picked it up on dvd in a Poundshop, turns out it's a pretty good mid-west USA horror more in common with THE WICKER MAN(not in the same league, of course) but much better than I expected. A good double with PHANTASM maybe.
I highly recommend this (it's in two parts) Disciples Of The Crow, one of King's first dollar babies and it was made a year before the Children of the Corn feature:

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 26th October 2011, 04:37 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I saw Videdrome on the big screen at a midnight showing at the weekend.

It's a film that I've seen loads and love, but BIG and LOUD enhanced the experience tenfold.
Shore's score really unpinned Renn's downward spiral and the effects, well they still hold up superbly after all these years (apart from the close ups of the revolver morphing into Max's hands - but it's such an amazing idea you don't care if it looks a tad fake).

It appeared that a number of people in the audience hadn't seen it before judging from the gasps and guffaws - what a film to see for the first time at the cinema?

Tonight I've got a double of The Prowler and the original My Bloody Valentine to look forward to at the cinema!

Old 26th October 2011, 09:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

watched
North By Northwest and Strangers on a Train both with the comms.
Lehmann's comm for NBNW interesting if repetitive, the Strangers 1 is a mish mash of archive interviews (including hitch himself) and is a great listen if you know the film well (and the book!)
both films look great though i did notice some grain on NBNW...

also watched Dead Birds...a US civil war set haunted house tale....was ok until i realised that the ending was telegraphed severely early on.
Buio Omega a curse on BTD haters....still as repellent as when i first saw it, and it looked quite lovely on me telly...blu-io omega next methinks!!
Old 26th October 2011, 02:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Saw Exit Throught the Giftshop which I really liked but two complaints - Geoff Barrow's dull soundtrack - I expected better from the Portishead man, and adding Air's Kelly Watch the Stars was a low point... Something along the lines of Burial would have been much better. Second thing I didn't like was the choice of narrator - Rhys Ifans, the Welsh dude from Nothing Hill and Twin Town... Anyway, if you like documentaries this is a threat...

Old 26th October 2011, 06:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Blood From the Mummy's Tomb. Quite liked this one. Oh and Valerie Leon was one hot mummy
Old 26th October 2011, 10:18 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

"The Smurfs". Sometimes being a parent is the shittiest job in the world.
Old 27th October 2011, 08:53 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Saw My Bloody Valentine (original) and The Prowler last night as part of Cigarette Burns Lacerated Lovers double bill at the Prince Charles Cinema in London.

I'd seen neither before, although I had seen the MBV 3D remake at the cinema (the first and only 3D film that I actually enjoyed) and I knew that Savini was behind the effects for TP.

Anyway apart from the twats who kept talking and scrunching their sweet wrappers at the back it was a great night and the films were both thoroughly enjoyable, although I slightly preferred MBV as it had a more unusual setting and featured one of the best lines of dialogue I've ever come across:

Patty talking about a dress to Sarah:

"It's cut down to here (motions to her cleavage) and slit up to here (points to the top of her leg)."

MBV was a more light hearted and shonky affair, but the killer looked great in his gas mask and he had a more varied way of despatching his victims, which I liked too.
Also it was amazing to see an X certificate screen opening a film and one of the reels towards the end went lurid pink - all added to the atmosphere.

The Prowler was quite different. It was much slicker and way more abstract, leaving the audience with loads of unanswered questions, but this was no bad thing and Savini's effects were executed with aplomb.
There were some great music cues too that put me in mind of Wendy/Walter Carlo's synth work for Kubrick - droney stabs that were really atmospheric.

So two excellent films and now I can't wait for their next event which is Fulci's House By the Cemetery!

Oh, almost forgot I also picked up one of Cigarette Burns limited edition T-shirts that they print up for their events and this one was designed by this forum's very own Slippery Jack! I think you'll agree it looks pretty damn awesome:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0382.jpg (96.2 KB, 3 views)

Old 27th October 2011, 01:04 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

MY BLOODY VALENTINE (original and remake) and THE PROWLER are excellent slahers
the original MBV sp.ed which I've got is one flm I was wanting to see for years uncut
Prince_Vajda and Phurious like this.
Old 27th October 2011, 01:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

While clearing some space on my Sky + box ready for all the Halloween goodies, I found Childs Play that I recorded months ago. Just finished watching it and I've got to say it's not like I remember it from my younger days! Enjoyable enough but I put that down to the excellent work of Brad Dourif

Sometimes, dead is better
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!