Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th October 2011 01:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I tried watching the 1970 documentary Legend of the Witches. last night.

The soothing imagery and voice over kept putting me to sleep and i never got past 30 minutes in two attempts. :doh:

Delirium 29th October 2011 02:48 PM

Watched 'The Ward', which is far from a return to form for Carpenter - in fact it's as stale and banal as modern horror comes. Set in a psyche ward, in which the girls look like extras from Sucker Punch, it owes more debt to J-Horror (without half the talent) with its ghostly presense stalking and killing off the young ladies. Incredibly boring.

Equally tedious was 'Mothers Day', which loses the humour of the goofy Troma original and goes for a straight laced home invasion movie, of which it's certainly at the lower end of the scale. Rebecca De Mornay, the big name of the film, does not save it.

sjconstable 29th October 2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 193818)
Watched 'The Ward', which is far from a return to form for Carpenter - in fact it's as stale and banal as modern horror comes. Set in a psyche ward, in which the girls look like extras from Sucker Punch, it owes more debt to J-Horror (without half the talent) with its ghostly presense stalking and killing off the young ladies. Incredibly boring.

I totally agree, there's nothing to show it's a John Carpenter film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th October 2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 193776)
For anyone who hasn't seen them BBC 2 are showing the excellent Ginger Snaps, Ginger Snaps Unleashed and Ginger Snaps The Beginning over the next three nights starting tonight.

Three excellent werewolf films, the first two set in the modern day with the third set in the 19th century. Highly recommended, and no advert breaks. :clap:

They are all great films and well worth watching or recording on your Sky+/V+ box if you don't already own them. They are interesting takes on the vampire legend and Katharine Isabelle (Ginger) it easy on the eyes!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 29th October 2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 193863)
Katharine Isabelle (Ginger) it easy on the eyes!

No argument there! ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th October 2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 193864)
No argument there! ;)

Although she's older than the character, the first one is a little weird as Ginger is approaching her 16th birthday, but she was about 18 at the time, so it's okay to look at her 'that way'!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 29th October 2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 193873)
Although she's older than the character, the first one is a little weird as Ginger is approaching her 16th birthday, but she was about 18 at the time, so it's okay to look at her 'that way'!

I was only 17 and still at school when the original Ginger Snaps was released, so have never seen it as a problem.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/phot...81-660-495.jpg

:happy:

Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. 29th October 2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyscreams (Post 193352)
Eyes without a face (1960)
A real masterpiece this one, with some macabre scenes that you won't forget. And also a sad but wonderful story. I recommend this to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Eyes without a face is a prime example of why film was created. It solidifies the phrase " they just don't make films like that anymore." what a shame that years of advances in technology and I would much rather sit down and watch this film than 90% of the movies made in the last ten years. Yet, I did just watch Kevin Smiths Red State and was pleasantly surprised by it. It felt like he actually made a movie. Not sure if I would buy it or watch it repeatedly, but I am glad I saw it.

Prince_Vajda 29th October 2011 10:23 PM

I've just watched Mad Love (1935), starring Peter Lorre. After The Mummy another great Horror movie directed by one of the greatest masters of cinematography, Karl Freund. Outstanding performance of Mr Lorre. Highly recommended! There will be a review of this in my Classic Horror thread pretty soon - some films stills can already be found in the respective thread! :)

Greetings!

platostotal 29th October 2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 193912)
I've just watched Mad Love (1935), starring Peter Lorre. After The Mummy another great Horror movie directed by one of the greatest masters of cinematography, Karl Freund. Outstanding performance of Mr Lorre. Highly recommended! There will be a review of this in my Classic Horror thread pretty soon - some films stills can already be found in the respective thread! :)

Greetings!

Oh yeah, love a bit of MAD LOVE, Frances Drake is gorgeous and Lorre is great as the baddie, ahead of it's time by some margin.