LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st November 2011, 11:42 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
The Haunting. why bother with anything else on halloween
The Haunting is fantastic, although I've always been more partial to The Legend of Hell House.
Daemonia and Demoncrat like this.
Old 1st November 2011, 01:02 PM
Cult Rookie

Last night I watched Last Cannibal World, The Crazies (1973) and Nightmare in a Damaged Brain all for the first time.
platostotal likes this.
Old 1st November 2011, 01:16 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

watched episode 3 of The Walking Dead S2 followed by the latest simpsons Tree House Of Horrors then House On Haunted Hill (Price Version)
Old 1st November 2011, 03:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Watched Night of the Demon (1980), absolute rubbish, of course, with terrible acting, lousy fx and an awful score which sounded like it belongs in a daytime American soap opera from the 1970's.Sometimes I really don't know why I love these films as much as I do but I just can't help myself.
DryJack likes this.
Old 1st November 2011, 04:26 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Was in town and figured I'd pick up The House on the Edge of the Park but HMV didn't have it in and so partly out of morbid curiousity and partly just because I didn't think it was out for a few weeks yet (and it's not, barring the HMV exclusive) I picked up The Human Centipede 2.

Hmm...it's just a load of s--t really, figuratively and literally. It's actually quite a good idea and an interesting angle for a sequel (if a bit too self-indulgent and not as clever as it'd like to be) and it starts off quite interesting but it quickly loses its way. In opting for upping the gore and 'extreme' nature of the film rather than concentrating on the idea of people's reaction to horror movies Tom Six misses the chance to make a genuinely interesting statement on imitable behaviour and just creates an over-the-top waste of time which manages to be both shocking and boring at the same time and which ends up drowning under the weight of it's own self-parody (you'll know which bit I mean when you see it). Suffers from a total cop-out of an ending too which is just absymal and which has been done much more effectively, especially in another famous film.

Thankfully shall be remedying this awful waste of an hour and a half with a double bill of The Beyond and Maniac Cop on the big screen tonight. Yay!

Last edited by PaulD; 1st November 2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 1st November 2011, 06:11 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I kicked off my Halloween viewing with The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, a superb genre defining giallo and then Tobe Hooper's underrated slasher film The Funhouse.

After that, it was a Halloween triple bill of John Carpenter's superb slasher film, the maligned sequel (the 1080p picture is pretty good, but it's a shame there's no HD soundtrack) and Halloween III: Season of the Witch. It would be a much more popular and appreciated film rather than something with a small cult following if it was just called Season of the Witch and wasn't part of the Halloween franchise.
Old 1st November 2011, 06:15 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

FANGORIA BLOOD DRIVE 1 & 2
Old 1st November 2011, 07:14 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Just finished watching He Lives by Night (1982) and The Rape After (1984).
He Lives by Night was a solid slasher type film with stylish kill scenes (obviously inspired by Argento) and hefty doses of comedy.
My only quibble would be that the "final girl chase" had a bit too much comedy (the other kills are all played straight btw).

After that I watched The Rape After and where I wanted less comedy in the previous film,this made me wish for comedic interludes (there is one very short comedy scene though).
Bleak and nasty as they came during HK cinema's new wave period (this remembered me at times of Giallo a Venezia)...but basically it's another black magic horror gross-out which delivers the goods and makes you feel like you need a shower.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 1st November 2011, 08:54 PM
Cult Addict

"Dracula A.D.1972". Much more enjoyable than I remembered.
Old 1st November 2011, 10:09 PM
Cult Rookie

Watched the first Human Centipede film Sunday afternoon. (Not watching the sequel until I can get my hands on an uncut version - damn BBFC and their scissors. )

I actually thought it was quite a good film, although it left more to the imagination than I was expecting it to. Minimal blood and gore. That said, I suppose the concept in itself is revolting enough...

And Dieter Laser as the madman... didn't have to say or do anything to scare me. Just his face was terrifying enough!

Interesting to hear Tom Six say in an interview on the DVD that this would be like My Little Pony compared to the sequel (and having read the spoilers for the second film, I believe him!). I dread to think what'll be in the third film!

Also watched Rob Zombie's 're-imagining' of the classic Halloween last night. Interesting film, especially the first half consisting of a sort of 'mini-prequel' involving Michael's childhood.
If I said this film was better than the original I'd be lying, but it is amazing in it's own right. Good to hear the original creepy music, as well. Glad that the gore level had been increased (the violence never really let up from the very beginning). Good little twist in the film, as well (despite the fact I figured it out halfway through). And Scout Taylor-Compton was as cute as ever.
The only thing that irritated me about this film was Laurie's friends - I was glad when Michael disposed of them because they were really bloody annoying.
All in all, a very good film, but the original will always be the best.

Like this? Share it using the links below!