Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

sawyer6 27th November 2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 200365)
Just seen The Thing remake.
It was ok I suppose, better then Fright Night remake but the CGI ruined it and the test they used to check if your human was laughable.

If you're referring to the 2011 movie it's actually a prequel not a remake!

nekromantik 27th November 2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 200366)
If you're referring to the 2011 movie it's actually a prequel not a remake!

I know but it is very similar to the Carpenter film.
Apart from what they found and the ending its almost like a remake with a few differences here and there.

Demoncrat 28th November 2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 200365)
Just seen The Thing remake.
It was ok I suppose, better then Fright Night remake but the CGI ruined it and the test they used to check if your human was laughable.

indeed. its a resounding meh from the highlands for this pointless pointless film.

Levres des Sang no it's still nae clicking. felt turgid. last half hour had some interesting dialogue, but its not looking good for JR in this corner....c'est la vie!

sawyer6 28th November 2011 05:52 PM

Watched The Stendhal Syndrome, very good film and very close to the golden age of Argento and I also watched after a long time Creature From The Black Lagoon ,great underwater sequences!!

Prince_Vajda 28th November 2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 200484)
Watched The Stendhal Syndrome, very good film and very close to the golden age of Argento and I also watched after a long time Creature From The Black Lagoon ,great underwater sequences!!

The Stendhal Syndrome is indeed one of Argento's finest. Great performances by Asia and Thomas Kretschmann. I own both the BU Blu-ray and the Arrow DVD - the first one for the special features, the latter because of the picture quality, the artwork, and - most important - the poster. ;)

Creature From The Black Lagoon is a classic. Period.

Greetings!

Gojirosan 28th November 2011 08:28 PM

The Stendhal Syndrome is one of Argento's very best, so far as I'm concerned. I think it deserves a far higher reputation than it has.

PaulD 28th November 2011 08:35 PM

Watched Fulci's Zombie/Zombie Flesh Eaters/Zombi 2 etc today - lovely-looking bluray. Amazing how good some films look in HD. I really winced at some of the gore scenes, even though I'd seen it before. Started on some of the extras too but keeping them for a rainy day

Followed it up with Graduation Day. Not great to be honest, especially the crappy Hollywood dvd print. Didn't help that the killer's identity was revealed in the blurb on the back of the box! Some inventive kills but a lack of horror and suspense and it really dragged in places

Gojirosan 29th November 2011 01:22 AM

In Dreams

A painful viewing experience. Neil Jordan's derivative and clumsy attempt to dabble in David Lynch territory is an unmitigated disaster throughout. The pacing is all over the place, the plotting confuses "messy" for "ambiguous" and both Annette Bening and Robert Downey Jr give hysterically bad performances that make Bette and Joan in Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? look restrained and dignified.

It clearly wants to be a head scratcher, leaving you wondering about what might be real, who is or isn't real or if any of it is real, but it just leaves you glad it's all over. A really, really bad film.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 29th November 2011 08:15 PM

Recent viewings:

Tetsuo: The Iron Man - Cyberpunk madness at its finest.
Onibaba - One of the greatest Japanese horror films ever made.
Silent Running - Stunning BD from Eureka of this fantastic film.
The Seventh Victim - Chilling classic that I very much enjoyed revisiting after such a long time.
Vampyr - Beautiful classic from Carl Theodor Dreyer.

Gigantor 30th November 2011 03:07 AM

CHOPPING MALL
MUNCHIES
GHOULIES 4