Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

James Morton 30th November 2011 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 200562)
The Stendhal Syndrome is one of Argento's very best, so far as I'm concerned. I think it deserves a far higher reputation than it has.

agree with you there
i have the BU bu ray (the best pq anywhere of this film) and dvd as well as Arrow's dvd

Argento's excellent giallo is underrated

Gold6082 30th November 2011 06:01 AM

Watched Headhunter which cost only £2.29 on ebay

I wasn't expecting much (low budget,low price,) but liked the sound of the plotline.

I however was surprised it was a brilliant film,very creepy at times very gory and worked very well a real bargain.

Demoncrat 30th November 2011 11:11 AM

Snowtown
Can i just say this is the film of the year?
chilling true account of notorious Oz criminal that leaves Chopper in the dust, gasping for air.
funny story, this was the film i wanted to go and see in London but was outvoted for the over stylized ....Kevin poo fest. im not often wrong, but certainly wasnt on this ocassion!!:nod:

RECOMMENDED!!

gag 30th November 2011 03:29 PM

I Bought xtro of Broonage never seen it befroe but heard about it..
Honestly i gave up half way through thought it was awful rubbish..

Is this the film they wernt to keen on when it was released because they tried saying ...Something along the lines of they didnt want kids watching this and confusing it with a horror version of ET or something along that lines.

Phurious 30th November 2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 200922)

Is this the film they wernt to keen on when it was released because they tried saying ...Something along the lines of they didnt want kids watching this and confusing it with a horror version of ET or something along that lines.

Oh, that's a shame. I love Xtro. I feel it's like an X-rated BBC sci-fi flick with some absolutely amazing WTF moments. Panthers? Clowns?
And I hold my hands up and say that I genuinely like the wonderful electronic score which was 'thrown' together by Harry Bromley Davenport (the director) too.

Does your disc have the Harry Bromley Davenport interview? That is one of the funniest interviews I've ever seen; brutally honest yet absolutely endearing.

It was briefly a video nasty (HBD alludes to this with glee in the interview), but it's particularly memorable for me for the 'birth' - something which Takashi Miike does a good job of in Gozu too.

I reckon if you watch the interview, you'll probably be spurred on to give the film another go.

Phurious 30th November 2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 200922)

The interview is actually on You Tube in two parts - spoilers abound

Harry Bromley-Davenport XTRO interview pt.1.mov - YouTube

Harry Bromley-Davenport XTRO interview pt.2.mov - YouTube

Gold6082 30th November 2011 05:10 PM

Just watched She's crushed.

The Language and crude references made me cringe alot and that is from someone who has tourettes syndrome so says alot!

overall putting the above unneeded entrances to the film aside a good little film very gory and at times shocking takes the psycho bitch genre and puts it into 5th gear.

In response to XTRO it is not a bad film,not 1 of my favourites but not bad,it becomes hard to take seriously having Pauline Fowler's mother (Anna Wing) from eastenders present just makes you laugh.

Gojirosan 30th November 2011 05:39 PM

The Bad Lieutenant - Port Of Call: New Orleans

Let's get the crap out of the way first: despite obvious common thematic similarities it really is hard to consider this a remake of Ferrara's film "Bad Lieutenant". Had it not had the words "bad lieutenant" in its title more people might have given it a chance.

This is a superb film. An absolutely superb film. And exquisitely made bit of story-telling which mixes drama and comedy to wonderful effect. Herzog is at top form here: it's a joy to watch for fans of cinematic technique. The cast is amazing and performances are excellent. The lead character is perfect for Nic Cage's tics and flourishes, but he is surrounded by a cast giving everything.

A beautiful and great film.

ReturnToZero 30th November 2011 06:05 PM

Eyeball (1975)

A quite mediocre but still a fun giallo by Umberto Lenzi with some nice twists. The music by Bruno Nicolai is great!

Pete 30th November 2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 200928)

The dvd's are only worth buying for that interview.