Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. 30th November 2011 05:59 PM

Watched Equinox last night and the Seventh Seal the night before. Seen both more times than I can count, but put them on so me and the wife could relax and not worry about falling asleep to something we had not seen before. Of course stayed awake and watched them both all the way through. Always happens. I spend half an hour or more picking something out to zone off to late at night, and then stay awake through it all. I cannot say anything about The Seventh Seal that has not been said before. I doubt anybody on here has not seen it, but just incase BUY IT, RENT IT, STEAL IT, JUST WATCH IT!:happy:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th November 2011 06:32 PM

Well said. I have the Criterion Collection BD on its way to me and can't wait to watch it again, only this time in HD to showcase the beautiful direction and cinematography.

Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. 30th November 2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 200997)
Well said. I have the Criterion Collection BD on its way to me and can't wait to watch it again, only this time in HD to showcase the beautiful direction and cinematography.

Yeah, the whole time I was watching it I was thinking how much I want to upgrade my copy to Blu. Along with all my Criterion discs.:nod: Especially Onibaba, and Ugetsu, and... Well, like I said, all of em'!

sawyer6 30th November 2011 06:44 PM

Watched Akira Kurosawa's Scandal , an attack of the press during post-war japan and the classic Invasion Of The Body Snatchers by the brilliant Don Siegel !

Prince_Vajda 30th November 2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 201008)
Watched Akira Kurosawa's Scandal , an attack of the press during post-war japan and the classic Invasion Of The Body Snatchers by the brilliant Don Siegel !

I agree. An excellent movie, very well-made and really creepy. :nod:

Greetings!

bdc 30th November 2011 07:49 PM

The Demon's Baby (1998)
"A general (gets) rich from looting a tomb, where he also happened to unearth 5 demon spirits that were sealed there. These demons are a nasty bunch, taking root in a pregnant woman and corrupting both her and the fetus. If all 5 demons get as far as birth, it's the end of the world."
Made at end of the HK film boom and it's noticeable I'm afraid...
The first 45 mins is mainly (decent) drama/romance stuff but then it's horror time...however after some good WTF moments this quickly loses it's way.
It all ended up leaving me somewhat disappointed.
The apparent small budget and continuity problems (possible censor cuts?) didn't help.

Nice to see Anthony Wong as a good priest here though. ;)

The Haunted Cop Shop (1987)
"Ricky Hui and Jacky Cheung star as Chiu and Macky, two wacky cops who are witness to the resurrection of an evil Japanese vampire. It seems their police station was once a club for Japanese officers, but after the war they all got together and committed seppuku (ritual suicide)."
Fun horror comedy that made me start looking for it's sequel because that's supposed to be even better. ;)

Another entertaining Ricky Hui film (he's also in The Trail)!

Check out this scene from HCS:
2 motorcycle cops,who are eagerly helping our heroes (who have just stumbled upon the residence of a priest) find "a woman junkie running around naked" (actually a female vampire),turn up to tell them they've found the "woman addict"! :lol:
Spoilers!

haunted cop shop - YouTube

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th November 2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 200963)
The dvd's are only worth buying for that interview.

...and to appreciate the acting skills of the great Mr Vincent.

Make Them Die Slowly 30th November 2011 08:47 PM

"Blacula", starts out with a total WTF opening with an African Prince at Castle Dracula to discuss ending the slave trade before heading into more familiar 70s US vampire type scenario. Stand out scene is a big fight in a warehouse with all the vampires looking like they have just stumbled out of Andy Milligan's "The Body Beneath". Enjoyable.

keirarts 30th November 2011 10:07 PM

Fright night remake.

Not dreadful, certainly not in the same feacle-league as the turgid god-awful abortions that were nightmare on elm street and fog remakes, I think the word i'm looking for with this one is mediocre.

DREADFUL cgi effects, poorly plotted and genuinely forgettable (i cant remember whole chunks of it and I just got home from watching the damn film.) But distracting enough that it never dragged, if it turns up for £2 on marketplace or a charity shop I might buy it (something I would never do with fog or noes remakes).

Phurious 1st December 2011 05:03 AM

The Last Horror Film aka. The Fanatic

Joe Spinnell and Caroline Munro come face to face again in an ultra low budget slasher flick.
Spinnell plays a taxi driver with dreams of being a movie director. Munro is the world's biggest horror movie starlet who Joe wants to be in his 'movie'. He tracks/stalks her to Cannes where the 1981 film festival is taking place as believes she'd be perfect for his, but people in her entourage suddenly become victims of a crazed killer and it looks like Joe's obsession could be murderous.

This flick is very, very low budget with dreadful dialogue, which proves no problem for ol' Joe who handles his role with the same aplomb he did for Lustig's Maniac albeit with his tongue in his cheek, however you can see Munro having a hard time with the script and her terrible hair style - very late 90s chav (you know with those blond highlights at the front of the hair - yuck), but she's not alone as there's poor acting-a-plenty.
But in spite of this I found myself really enjoying this film. Shot guerilla style mostly in Cannes (although the film's bookended in New York which features some touching, but very funny scenes between Joe and his real life mum) as the film makers couldn't afford a permit, director David Winters manages to a pretty good job of soaking up the real festival spirit whilst also creating an ersatz festival for the film itself.
The whodunnit element of the film is handled pretty well and the reveal at the end caught me a bit off guard, but I never really try very hard to figure out who the killers are in slashers and gialli, which means I'd probably make a pretty good detective in said films.

Overall, it ain't no masterpiece, but with one particularly cool set piece and a surprisingly subversive subtext about fame and fandom, it's definitely worth a look.