Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Rik 2nd December 2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 201325)
Maniac Cop. An excellent mixture of a police thriller and a horror movie. Great pace, good actors (Tom Atkins! :clap:), clever dialogues, and a nice car chase in the end - add quite a bit of gore, and you'll understand why this is a really enjoyable movie. :nod:

3 out of 4

Recommended.

Greetings!

Maybe I need to rewatch this because I wasn't overly impressed with it when I watched it on the Horror Channel a couple of weeks back. I wonder if my opinion will change if I watch it in HD, seems highly recommended from plenty of you

Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. 2nd December 2011 05:45 PM

Watched Return to Horror High last night. Wow, I forgot what an illogical mess this film was. George Cloony is in it for about 5 minutes. But in those minutes you can clearly see how he has become who he is today. Even back in the day he had a very natural cool aura. My question to the filmakers is why replace him part way in the movie with someone who is so wooden that I kept thinking he shat his pants? But, what a great ending!?!:doh:

nekromantik 3rd December 2011 01:06 AM

just seen the original Straw Dogs, kinda slow to start off with and nothing much going on but once it picks up it got interesting. Overall it was ok but not great.

Will check the remake out also.

Slippery Jack 3rd December 2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 201482)
just seen the original Straw Dogs

bloody remakes :tsk: . . .

Baseball Fury 3rd December 2011 07:57 AM

Watched Brewsters Millions when I got home from the pub last night. Great film, but what am awful DVD!

antmumford 3rd December 2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 201482)
just seen the original Straw Dogs, kinda slow to start off with and nothing much going on but once it picks up it got interesting. Overall it was ok but not great.

Will check the remake out also.

I have to agree with you, the original isn't a great film by any means. The remake is meant to real bad though so it really must be a stinker.

Rik 3rd December 2011 11:04 AM

Watched a couple of films from my Sky planner last night. First up was The Exterminator, excellent film although I didn't think it was as violent as it was made out to be, unless the Horror Channel showed a cut version? Second up was one of my favourite films as a kid, Gremlins. I haven't watched it in ages and I have to say I still absolutely love it, definitely need to pick both this and the sequel up on blu ray.

Well hello Mister Fancypants.

bdc 3rd December 2011 11:26 AM

Finished watching Conspiracy (2000)...
I read somewhere that this was supposed to be a good thriller,however the person who wrote that seems oblivious to what constitutes a good thriller imho... :)
At best average is more like it with almost no exploitative elements and no nudity...how it ever got a IIB rating is a mystery to me.
The cover is pure exploitation!

Thankfully it's shot on film but otherwise it's a typical example of HK cinema well beyond it's heyday.
Actually it has a more western/American feel (US films started flooding the HK market by then).

As a pick-me-up I started watching a bit of Demoness of a 1000 years (1990),an almost forgotten and underrated low budget HK fantasy film... ;)

And just the first 10 minutes of this totally blew away Conspiracy! :rockon:

nekromantik 3rd December 2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 201499)
I have to agree with you, the original isn't a great film by any means. The remake is meant to real bad though so it really must be a stinker.

Yeah its not a good sign :lol:

platostotal 3rd December 2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 200365)
Just seen The Thing remake.
It was ok I suppose, better then Fright Night remake but the CGI ruined it and the test they used to check if your human was laughable.

Yeah, I have some fillings that have fallen out... oh my god, put that flamethrower down...ahhhh, and talk about disposable Norwegians... far too much of Carpenter's film in there as well and why isn't it cold? But it does link to Carpenter's film(almost to the second) and when the beastie is on screen it picks up speed considerably. Okay as a monster movie with some mates and a few beers(one thing always bugged me about the whole idea, if it can change into anything why not morph into something that can fly, get to civilization in no time)