Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

nekromantik 8th April 2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 72508)
Audition is bonkers :p (Miike knows how to freak his audience out THATS for sure!)

Its a good movie but the first half kinda drags till the actual torture scene.
Ichi is messed up from the start however its a diff kinda movie :lol:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 8th April 2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phats (Post 72507)
Labyrinth which was terrific but doesn't really fit in with the other movies I watched.

Funny that - I watched that film last night! What are the chances?! :laugh: Great film!

mazon2709 8th April 2010 01:38 PM

Unborn with Gary Oldman -Average a couple of good jump scenes (the wife found it a bit nerve wracking!) :eek:

Gojirosan 8th April 2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 72510)
Good film but it needled me a bit. :D

:dance::lol:

vincenzo 8th April 2010 02:43 PM

Parts of it were quite hard to pin down. :heh:

(I'll stop now. I can feel your pain)....... :madgrin:

pedromonkey 8th April 2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 72523)
Funny that - I watched that film last night! What are the chances?! :laugh: Great film!

we Had Labyrinth on a loop in work to show the upscaling of dvd on a hd TV, must have seen that film hundreds of times, it was also wriiten by a python and has one of the greatest 80s movie soundtracks this side of the Streets Of fire one...

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 8th April 2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 72558)
we Had Labyrinth on a loop in work to show the upscaling of dvd on a hd TV, must have seen that film hundreds of times, it was also wriiten by a python and has one of the greatest 80s movie soundtracks this side of the Streets Of fire one...

Couldn't agree more. I thought it was just a nostaligic thing with me watching it, growing up, but it seems everyone luvs the film. I watched it last night as I'm using it for an essay (masculinity in musicals - the androgynous Bowie - what could be better?!). I'm also trying to get Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes, The Forbidden Zone and Jessie's dance sequence in Nightmare On Elm Street II
:pound: :pound:

The fireys or whatever they're called (the ones with the removable heads etc) are my fav, easily.

gag 8th April 2010 02:53 PM

I think labyrinth is a gr8 family film
Thought id watch remake of death race 2000
original is a good little film but deffo dated to watch
quite enjoyed the reamke not a bad film
Now just going to watch rollerball original

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 8th April 2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 72562)
I think labyrinth is a gr8 family film
Thought id watch remake of death race 2000
original is a good little film but deffo dated to watch
quite enjoyed the reamke not a bad film
Now just going to watch rollerball original

Ah I've only seen a bit of the Death Race remake on sky and thought it was great fun (what I saw off it). Balls to the wall action! Unlike the Rollerball remake which was terrible, I thought. Have you seen that remake, gag? :)

Gojirosan 8th April 2010 03:00 PM

I think Labyrinth is a truly exceptional film.

I once had a theory it was all about Sarah's first period...but I forget the details of that critique now! :lol:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 8th April 2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 72566)
I think Labyrinth is an exceptional film.

I once had a theory it was all about Sarah's first period...but I forget the details of that critique now! :lol:

Oooh that's interesting! :laugh:

pedromonkey 8th April 2010 03:24 PM

my favourite scenes in Labyrinth are where Sarah meets the little catapilla when she enters the labyrinth for the first time, He's stood in a hole in a wall wearing a scarf and i think a flat cap and he's asking her to come in a meet the missus, pure genius and my other fave scene is the magic dance song where Bowie or as he's named in the film Jareth the goblin king is singing and the Goblins are tossing toby around in the background....i've seen this film way to many times what can i say im a sucker for anything Henson related...

Gojirosan 8th April 2010 03:42 PM

I like the "false bedroom" scene. I think it's the key scene in the film where Sarah realises that she can't just go back to her safe childhood (the bedroom) and that she has to face growing up and all its scariness (her selfish, ugly desire to stay a child represented by the witch laden with baggage) and rescue Toby (symbol of the good things about being an adult woman).

Exceptional scene.

Edited, because I just remembered the scene better! :lol:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 8th April 2010 03:43 PM

"'ello"
"Did you just say 'Hello'?"
"Nah, I said 'ello, but that's close enough." :pound:

How can anyone NOT like Jim Henson?! The man was a genius!

Does anyone remember the TV show 'Muppets Tonight'? I used to watch it religiously as a kid - watched it on the tv, recorded it, and watched it non-stop all week! :pound:

"We've got a show to do, guaranteed brand new, so click on the Muppets, click on the Muppets, click on the Muppet's Tonight." Woooo!

Gigantor 8th April 2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 72580)
"'ello"
"Did you just say 'Hello'?"
"Nah, I said 'ello, but that's close enough." :pound:

How can anyone NOT like Jim Henson?! The man was a genius!

Does anyone remember the TV show 'Muppets Tonight'? I used to watch it religiously as a kid - watched it on the tv, recorded it, and watched it non-stop all week! :pound:

"We've got a show to do, guaranteed brand new, so click on the Muppets, click on the Muppets, click on the Muppet's Tonight." Woooo!

I liked that show but it didn't last very long did you see the Waldorf and Statler Webseries?

Gojirosan 8th April 2010 03:53 PM

The original The Muppet Show was essential viewing in our house. Suppose I was about 6 or so when it first appeared.

I still have The Muppet Show and The Muppet Show 2 albums on vinyl from back then.

pedromonkey 8th April 2010 04:18 PM

here is a rundown of my Henson/muppet related ownage....

Muppet Christmas Carol VHS
Muppet Christmas Carol DVD (cut)
The Great Muppet Capper DVD
Muppet's Take Manhatten DVD
Muppet Show season 1 DVD
Kermit: the Swamp Years VHS
It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie DVD
Muppet Treasure Island VHS
Labyrinth DVD
Dark Crystal, The: 2 disc anniverary edition DVD
Assorted Muppet Babies Episodes Recorded from Nickelodeon and Channel 5
Totally forgot about Star Wars - all original creatures including Yoda were made by Henson Studios.
i did own Elmo's Adventures in Grouchland too but even i'm too old for that, it did have the awesome Mandy Patinkin in it though.
Wakka Wakka Herdy Gerdy indeed...

eNoize 8th April 2010 04:23 PM

Growing up, every morning was dedicated to Danger Mouse, Robotech, and The Muppet Show. Those were great times. :biggrin:

As for Labyrinth, it is a terrific film and Bowie is excellent!

pedromonkey 8th April 2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eNoize (Post 72608)
Robotech

There's a show i'd forgotten all about, Heavily cut for kids tv along with most anime shown in the UK..

For me it was Thundercats, Transformers, M.a.s.k and He-man with abit of Roland Rat on the side. but mainly the muppets of course...

eNoize 8th April 2010 04:36 PM

LOL

Those shows were requisite viewing in the afternoon along with G.I. Joe and Jem and the Holograms.

All these talks really make me reminisce.

Gojirosan 8th April 2010 05:04 PM

When it comes to badly edited anime on GB kids' TV I am afraid I go back to Marine Boy.

Oddly I loved that programme as a kid but don't really like anime now!

Ah, Marine Boy, The Mole (Krtek) and Mary Mungo and Midge...that's what being off sick was all about!

pedromonkey 8th April 2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eNoize (Post 72616)
LOL

Those shows were requisite viewing in the afternoon along with G.I. Joe and Jem and the Holograms.

All these talks really make me reminisce.

I grew up with G.I joe but as it was known in the UK as Action Force, i forgot Jem, i even remember the theme...Jem!, Jem is Excitement ooooo, Jem!!!

antmumford 8th April 2010 09:45 PM

I've set up a new thread under 'General Chat' so we can solely discuss childhood favs. You never know, someone might jog a few memories for you.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 8th April 2010 10:22 PM

Ooooh nice idea Ant!

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 8th April 2010 10:28 PM

Just watched Don't Answer The Phone! (thanks again Daemonia). I bought it mainly because of the 'DON'T' title as well as the reputation I had heard it had. I thought it was pretty good really, nowhere near as sleazy as I was thinking it would be and I don't really see why it was cut so much (I saw the uncut version). There's hardly any gore, although there's a lot of nudity. I'm pretty sure it would get through uncut here, no problem - tho I'm no expert on this obviously. :laugh: There were a few comedy scenes which I weren't really expecting to see either. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot, glad I own it now finally.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th April 2010 11:10 PM

The uncut version is a lot stronger than the one released by ABUK.:nod:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 8th April 2010 11:12 PM

I've got the BCI Eclipse one mate. And to be honest, I didn't think it was that bad at all.

Meh.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th April 2010 11:22 PM

Same as mine,but did you ever see the AB release?

Gojirosan 9th April 2010 12:43 AM

I just watched Shriek Show's Creatures From The Abyss...Goshdarned weirdest film I think I have ever seen!

It's....it's just bizarre!!!

:confused::suspicious::eek:

snapon 9th April 2010 06:52 AM

new films

just got the baader meinhof complex.bangkok dangerous.and tokyo gore police.i dont know if i can say the store cex uk new to the site if i cant sorry.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 9th April 2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 72766)
Same as mine,but did you ever see the AB release?

Nah this was the first time I had seen it, Reaps. The AB version must be pointless!

BioZombie 9th April 2010 10:38 AM

I tired to watch Repo: The Genetic Opera last night but couldnt get past the first 20mins. I found the songs to be annoying (I like alot of other musicals just wasnt a fan of these songs) and there was way too much poor cgi for my liking. Its annoying cause I liked the concept and the comic book opening that set up the film.

Should I give it another try? Does it get better futher in?

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 9th April 2010 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 72835)
I tired to watch Repo: The Genetic Opera last night but couldnt get past the first 20mins. I found the songs to be annoying (I like alot of other musicals just wasnt a fan of these songs) and there was way too much poor cgi for my liking. Its annoying cause I liked the concept and the comic book opening that set up the film.

Should I give it another try? Does it get better futher in?

Me too! I hate the film (most of the time) - it just seems to be so muddled and so LOUD and IN YOUR FACE all the time. I did it for a group presentation and had to watch it over and over and over again. I practically know all the bloody words! Ahhhh!

Watch it again if you want - its definetly an aquired taste imo.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 9th April 2010 11:25 AM

I know this is going to be a big stretch, but has anyone ever seen a 1976 Austrailian film called Oz? I think it's also known as 20th Century Oz and Oz- A Rock 'N' Roll Musical. Here's the trailer and a clip that may jog your memory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJD8xFpvuiw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvic4nRxomI

Any help will be briliant! I can't even find the DVD of it ANYWHERE! :doh:

antmumford 9th April 2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapon (Post 72790)
just got the baader meinhof complex.bangkok dangerous.and tokyo gore police.i dont know if i can say the store cex uk new to the site if i cant sorry.

CEX actually stands for Computer Exchange but we all know it as CEX anyway. You can get some awesome bargains in there. Good purchases indeed :thumb:

Kick Ass, Blood Feast 2 and Edmond
have been reviewed on my Diary page if anyone wants to check them out. Comments and discussions are always welcome :D

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th April 2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 72855)
I know this is going to be a big stretch, but has anyone ever seen a 1976 Austrailian film called Oz? I think it's also known as 20th Century Oz and Oz- A Rock 'N' Roll Musical. Here's the trailer and a clip that may jog your memory...

Had a search and looks like it was released on dvd in Australia,but I don't no if it's still available.

oaxaca 9th April 2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapon (Post 72790)

I've made a little song up about CEX (:suspicious:): "cex, cex, cex... your a bargain... but your DVDs... are sometimes broken"

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 9th April 2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 72861)
Had a search and looks like it was released on dvd in Australia,but I don't no if it's still available.

Mmmm. I have no idea if it's still in print even. Cant find ANYTHING on amazon or eBay! Booo! The film looks great!

Phats 9th April 2010 11:40 AM

I'm not a fan of CEX at all. Bought The Wrestler in there once, fella puts the disc in, holding it with his thumb on the underside of the disc. :doh: Big thumbprint on there. It still works but I just get the feeling all the people who work there are knobheads, the one I went to anyway.

I last watched Benny's Video. Classic Haneke.

oaxaca 9th April 2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phats (Post 72864)
I'm not a fan of CEX at all. Bought The Wrestler in there once, fella puts the disc in, holding it with his thumb on the underside of the disc. :doh: Big thumbprint on there. It still works but I just get the feeling all the people who work there are knobheads, the one I went to anyway.

I last watched Benny's Video. Classic Haneke.

Well CEX are run by a big army of teenagers (or overgrown teenagers) who exist merely to put the wrong DVDs in boxes :p

(Please don't sue me for slander, CEX):laugh: