Old 10th December 2011, 03:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Rewatched Trick or Treat.Good idea ,mediocre execution
Old 10th December 2011, 03:14 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Last night some handy insomnia meant I got the chance to see:

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things: last time I saw this if was on a dreadful multi-generation VHS copy so VCI's "35th Anniversary Exhumed Edition" was a revelation! Loved it more than ever and spotted for the first time just what a huge influence this must have been on Sam Raimi's The Evil Dead.

Deep End: I have wanted to see this for years primarily because my all-time favourite song was composed for the soundtrack. Yet, this conversely put me off watching it once I had it in case I was disappointed. Well, I wasn't. It's a small masterpiece. An utterly wonderful film with which I fell in love. However, I watched a copy of the dreadful old UK VHS release which was taken from a jumpy, damaged 4:3 print. So the BFI Blu-Ray is an essential purchase for me as soon as I can afford it!
bdc, Slippery Jack and Phurious like this.
Old 10th December 2011, 05:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream demon View Post
I love Woody Allen.
So what are your top picks, so far I only have Manhattan on my rental list . . . ?
Old 10th December 2011, 05:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post

Deep End: However, I watched a copy of the dreadful old UK VHS release which was taken from a jumpy, damaged 4:3 print. So the BFI Blu-Ray is an essential purchase for me as soon as I can afford it!
Release of the year for me, awesome film . . .
Phurious likes this.
Old 10th December 2011, 05:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Town. Not a bad film but it had a predictable storyline which I have seen so many times before.
Old 10th December 2011, 07:22 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
So what are your top picks, so far I only have Manhattan on my rental list . . . ?
Bit of a Woody fan myself. I had never seen one and just presumed I would hate his work, just one those silly pre-conceptions. Anyway, saw Play it Again Sam at Christmas around 10 years ago and thought it was brilliant. Went on a DVD spending spree after that and those DVDs were some of the few that survived the mass cull about a year ago.

Some of my Favs are -

Bananas, Sleeper, Annie Hall, Manhattan, Hannah and Her Sisters, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Mighty Aphrodite, Everyone Says I love you, Deconstructing Harry, Small Time Crooks and Scoop. Vicky Christina Barcelona is on TV tonight so will taking that in.
Old 10th December 2011, 08:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Broadway Danny Rose

Broadway Danny Rose,is my fav Woody Allen film,its really funny and has one of my all time fav line-
Danny Rose: [asks about her ex-husband] What'd you do, you divorced him, or got a separation, or what?
Tina Vitale: Nah, some guy shot him in the eyes.
Danny Rose: Really? He's blind?
Tina Vitale: Dead.
Danny Rose: Dead. Of course, 'cause the bullets go right through.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broadway Danny Rose.jpg (93.4 KB, 7 views)
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 10th December 2011, 08:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolahrock View Post
Bit of a Woody fan myself. I had never seen one and just presumed I would hate his work, just one those silly pre-conceptions. Anyway, saw Play it Again Sam at Christmas around 10 years ago and thought it was brilliant. Went on a DVD spending spree after that and those DVDs were some of the few that survived the mass cull about a year ago.

Some of my Favs are -

Bananas, Sleeper, Annie Hall, Manhattan, Hannah and Her Sisters, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Mighty Aphrodite, Everyone Says I love you, Deconstructing Harry, Small Time Crooks and Scoop. Vicky Christina Barcelona is on TV tonight so will taking that in.
Cool, reckon I'll work through the early stuff first. Another thing I meant to mention about Annie Hall - the shot of a cinema screening Messiah of Evil . . .
PaulD likes this.
Old 10th December 2011, 09:53 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

"Red White & Blue". Noah Taylor and Amanda Fuller star in this revenge flick which is pretty amazing stuff. Excellent film, highly recommended and my modern horror/revenge find of the year.
Phurious likes this.
Old 11th December 2011, 05:19 PM
Active Cultist

Cheers for the welcomes everyone.

What a film Deep End is, definitely my favourite purchase this year, everything about it is perfect. I've collected all the Flipsides and this is the crown jewel, I would urge anyone to pick it up.

Like this? Share it using the links below!