Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179626Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2012, 02:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Maybe Pete needs to watch films from a new genre.

The Seventies Sci-Fi thread (curse you seventies sci-fi thread) has got me interested in old sci-fi films that previously i just ignored.

Just ordered Zardoz and This Island Earth today, together with The Chosen Survivors and The Earth Dies Screaming which arrived this week it should be a cool change of genre for me.
Old 21st January 2012, 03:21 PM
Active Cultist

It was blu ray that reignited my dormant film obsession, not even so much the picture quality as the rewatching of all these old movies I hadn't seen in years. That said, last night it was a DVD of one I last saw 20 years ago - Creepshow. This hasn't dated too badly, the cockroach segment still one of cinemas most disgusting 20 minutes, Stephen Kings efforts one of its least distinguished performances. Leslie Nielson fair chews the scenery too!
Old 21st January 2012, 04:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

SISTER STREET FIGHTER - A nice widescreen, uncut, subtitled print. Starring Etsuko Shiomi and guest starring Sonny Shiba. Not as violent or OTT as THE STREETFIGHTER, but still great fun with lots of comic book villains and a few splashes of gore. Just need to watch the other three SSF films next.

bdc likes this.
"A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself."
Old 21st January 2012, 04:43 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I have been informed that some journos tried to find anyone who had complained and asked for refunds at this (apparently in Liverpool) showing or cinema staff who had been complained to and could find no foundation to this story at all.

Slow news day publicity stunt?
Probably a bit of both! Thanks for rebutting the story - it's good to know cinemagoers aren't that stupid. Even so, Michael Bay's films seem to make hundreds of millions of dollars, so appealing to the lowest common denominator pays dividends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I haven't watched any films for a while now, I think I've become a bit sick of them.
Something will spark your interest as, as others have said, it may just be a case of overkill. I tend to watch three or four films a day and the list of unwatched discs is shrinking quite rapidly. Even so, I always find titles I want to see or DVDs I want to upgrade to BD, so always have things in order!

In the meantime, just think of all that money you're saving!
Old 21st January 2012, 06:49 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I can't go a day without watching a film, It's what i grew up doing and it's what i'll grow old doing. Ive been introducing my brother to some newer films and while thinking of something to watch i suggested Tucker & Dale VS Evil. I loved it first time around and loved it even more the second time, my bro really enjoyed it too. May introduce him to some Chuck Norris or Van Damme tonight.

Also watched these this week...

Friends With Benefits
The Change Up
Fright Night (2011)
Earth Vs The Spider
The Family Stone
Delta Force
Old 21st January 2012, 07:09 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Tucker & Dale vs Evil (2010) - Tucker and Dale are two friends who own a holiday lodge out in the middle of backwoods America. Trouble is, they look like cannibal hillbillies and when they rescue a young girl from drowning and take her back to their cabin to restore her to health, her friends are convinced they've kidnapped her. The girl's friends then endeavour to save her and literally kill themselves in the process. Tucker and Dale can't figure out what's going on with people dying all over their property. They reckon it must be some kind of teen suicide cult. A brilliant comedy of errors that got some genuine laughs out of me. An absolute winner. Loved it.

Rockets Galore (1958) - A loose sequel to Ealing's Whiskey Galore wherein the Scottish island of Todday is being scoped as a potential rocket launching site, but it means some will lose their homes. The locals are not happy and successfully scupper their plans. A charming little comedy with a decent cast that includes Donald Sinden and a young Ronnie Corbett. Harmless entertainment. Really enjoyed this one.

Dirty Harry (1971) - Thought I'd dip into the Blu-ray boxset (which was a steal at £13) and thoroughly enjoyed revisiting this crime classic. Harry (Eastwood) is on the trail of a demented serial killer (Andy Robinson) and will stop at nothing to get his man. An absolute classic in every sense of the word and the BD looks stunning, best I've ever seen it. Eastwood is perfect as the gruff and rough cop who's as tough as the criminals he chases. Brilliant.

Scream 4 (2011) - Saw this Blu-ray in the bargain bin going cheap, so grabbed it for a watch, as I was curious. This time Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell) returns to Woodsboro for a book signing and it's not long before the bodies are piling up and Ghostface is on the rampage again.

Sadly, the joke's worn thin now, and Kevin Williamson can't really come up with anything clever enough to make this stand out to any of the other entries. Instead it's just another tiresome retread that thinks it's more witty than it is. Trying to make a statement on remakes and sequels just doesn't work here. Williamson needs to step up his game if he's going to pen anymore sequels.

I've warmed to the original over the years, but I can't see this one ever being a favourite. Some nasty violence for a 15, though. Overall it was fairly entertaining, but it's no classic.

Is Anybody There? (2009) - Edward (Bill Milner) is an unusual child, but that's to be expected growing up in an old folks home run by his parents. But he has an obsession with discovering what happens after death and latches onto Clarence (Michael Caine) who he hopes can provide some answers. Clarence is concerned with Edward's fascination with death and urges him to reconnect with the living.

It's a lovely little drama this with Caine and Milner both on top form and doesn't shy away from the themes of ageing, death, and regret, but does so in a sensitive (and, at times humorous) way. Really quite enjoyed this one. Well worth a look.

The Stranger (2010) - Blu-ray rental. Steve Austin is the 'Stranger', a tough guy who's lost his memory. But as he starts beating people up he starts to remember why he's beating them up. Crap, really. Think Segal's straight-to-video shite and you'd be close.

Thor (2011) Thor (Chris Hemsworth) defies his father Odin (Anthony Hopkins) and reignites a war with the Frost Giants. Odin banishes Thor and his hammer to earth and strips him of his powers. Finding himself alone on earth, weak and mortal, he sets about trying to retrieve his hammer. Meanwhile, back in Asgard, Odin falls ill and Thor's brother, Loki, takes the throne. But he has evil intentions and it's up to Thor to get back and sort things out.

It's all spectacle and nonsense, but I really thoroughly enjoyed this slice of superhero mayhem. Branagh proves that he's amazing at doing FX movies. He should stop dicking around with Shakespeare and make more films like this! I thought it was ****ing brilliant. I'm now eagerly looking forward to the Avengers next year. Let's hope director Joss Whedon gives us something better than the appalling Buffy that he cursed airwaves with in the 90's.

Magnum Force (1973) - Dipped into the Dirty Harry Blu-ray set again and this time Harry's on the trail of killers who are wiping out local crime figures. Harry comes to suspect that the killers might be fellow cops...

A worthy sequel to the incredible debut and Eastwood doesn't fail to sparkle in the role. He's tough as nails, but doesn't overstep the law. Ted Post directs with a sure hand and Hal Holbrook is fantastic in his supporting role. Lalo Schifrin once again provides a solid music score. I really enjoyed revisiting this one after not seeing it for so long.

Witchfinder General (1968) - Picked this up on Blu-ray as it's one of my favourites. This release from Odeon really breathes new life into the film and leaves previous DVD releases standing in the dust. It makes the old Metrodome and ABUK releases look like VHS transfers. Yes, it's that good. As for the film, well, what can you say? It's magnificent and utterly brilliant in every way. Even Ian Ogilvy is good.

Retreat (2011) - Blu-ray rental. Cillian Murphy and Thandie Newton play a young couple, Martin and Kate, who go to a cut off island retreat to recover from the loss of their child. Things take a strange turn when a man (Jamie Bell) washes up on the shores claiming that an airborne killer virus is wiping out humanity. The couple have to decide whether or not to believe what he is telling them. Is he being truthful or telling lies? Or is there more to his story than he's letting on?

Quite an intriguing film and the cast are excellent with what they're given. Not quite as clever as it thinks it is, it's still an entertaining mystery-thriller and I quite enjoyed it. No classic, but worth a look.

Fright Night (2011) - Pretty pointless remake of a genuine 80's classic. In this one they tell it a little differently, with Ed being the initial believer trying to convince Charlie that he's living next door to a vampire. Sadly, the whole film is a bit of a dead loss. Whilst it's nice that it's not just a Twilight knock-off, it's still undeniably boring and average. Colin Farrell is okay as Jerry Dandridge, but removes all the grace and elegance of Sarandon's performance in the original, and instead portrays him as something of a lager lout. David Tennant, again, is okay as Peter Vincent, the Vegas showman who Charlie turns to for help, but he's barely in the film. He's certainly not a central protagonist like he was in the original.

It's a nice attempt at updating the story, but it isn't entirely successful. The first half of the film, which is more moody, is far better than the second half, when we're treated to an overdose of really bad CGI FX. Whoever signed off on these FX needs to be fired. Now.

Overall, a bit of a misfire and wholly unnecssary. But, on a certain level, I found it mildly entertaining. Not a film I'd ever watch again, though. So I guess that speaks volumes.

The Descent Part 2 (2010) - Blu-ray rental. Overall this wasn't a bad sequel. It picks up straight where the first one left off and the Sheriff, in his frustration in trying to jog the survivors memory, takes her back to the caves with his team. It's meant as a rescue mission as they still don't know what's become of the other girls and hope to find them. But something else is waiting for them and before long its grue and gore all round.

This was far better than expected and director Jon Harris really throws everything into the film that he can. Particularly nice is the fact that all the blood is real (fake) rather than CGI. When it spurts it really spurts and doesn't look all computerised. So yes, not a bad effort, well worth a look. I enjoyed it.

Confucious (2011) - Blu-rental. Chow Yun Fat is Confucious and we follow him through his life as a wandering philosopher devoted to music, harmony and peace. I found this absolutely riveting and Yun Fat has never been better and really gives everything he has. The production is lavish, the battle scenes truly epic, but never overdone, and every performance is pitch perfect. I was spellbound, it's a truly magical film. Absolutely worth tracking down for a watch.

The Omen (1976) - Picked up the trilogy on Blu-ray so thought I'd get stuck in. The story is familiar, Thorn family adopt baby, turns out to be Satan's offspring, it's the end of the world as we know it. It's still a wonderful piece of religious mumbo-jumbo but one I always find myself enjoying. Peck and Remick shine in their roles and there's some nice Brit support from David Warner and Patrick Troughton. Definitely not to be taken seriously, but as a slice of classic horror it's unmissable. Looks great in HD too.

Let Me In (2011) - Hammer's remake of Let the Right One In. Actually, it's very good and accurately captures the mood and spirit of the original. However, as good as it may be, it's still utterly pointless. If asked, I'd point people to the original. Nicely done, but ultimately worthless.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) - Experiments into a drug that could cure alzheimer's disease is tested on chimps with alarming results. The chimps start to become super intelligent and it's not long before they start turning against the humans.

That's it in a nutshell, but it's really a quite complex and intelligent tale that's brilliantly rendered on screen. Really enjoyed this reboot of the popular series and it's excellent all round. The CGI is very good and head and shoulders above poor efforts like Fright Night. It's not perfect, but close as dammit. Very much recommended, this is definitely worth your time.

The Enforcer (1976) - Back into the Dirty Harry BD set and this time Harry is up against some mad terrorists and it's up to him to stop them. There's the usual headbanging with the top brass as Harry enforces the law in his own uncompromising way and finds himself suspended. But, being the dogged Inspector he is, he carries on tracking the bad guys anyway. Another cracking entry in the Dirty Harry series and this transfer looks the best of the lot so far. Really enjoyed this one again - and Tyne Daly was quite a fox in her day! Much better looking then her rather bloated appearance in Cagney and Lacey.

Hereafter (2011) - Blu-ray rental. Clint Eastwood directs this intriguing tale of people seeking to learn the truth about life after death. It doesn't present any easy answers and asks more questions than it answers. It's really offbeat and I rather liked the vibe of the film. The opening scene of a tsunami is one of the greatest things I've seen on film for a long time. Overall, it's a bit slow, but has some interesting ideas and themes and, for once, Matt Damon proves he's capable of some depth as an actor. So....it's not bad and worth a look, I reckon.

Cowboys and Aliens (2011) - Aliens are invading the wild west and Daniel Craig has all the answers, if only he could remember. It's all whizz-bang spectacle and hammy acting, but I loved this. Setting cowboys against aliens was a stroke of genius that could have seriously misfired. But director Jon Favreau has a wealth of talent both in front and behind the camera and it certainly pays off. Really enjoyed this one - highly recommended.

The Man Who Changed His Mind (1936) - Karloff is a mad scientist again! No good can come of it! This time he's discovered how to swap the mind (not brain) of one being to another and decides to use it to stay young and garner power. But, as is to be expected, it all goes disastrously wrong. Another fine performance from Karloff, this is a definite winner. Loved it.

The Hit List (2011) - Cuba Gooding Jr is a rogue CIA assassin who's gone a bit nuts. He meets a random stranger in a bar (Cole Hauser) who's having a really bad day. The two get talking and the disgruntled stranger drunkenly draws up a list of people he'd like killed, thinking it's just like fantasy role play. But when the people on his list start turning up dead he has to race against time to prevent the Hit List from being completed. I actually found this to be a lot of fun and competently executed and doesn't outstay its welcome. Worth a look, definitely.

Everybody's Fine (2009) - Robert De Niro is the father expecting his family home for the weekend, but when all his kids make up excuses not to come, he decides he'll go and give them all a surprise visit. But he's not in the best of health...

Oversentimental pap that leaves you wondering why they made the film at all. It does have a bit of punch at the ending, but it's too little too late. Not very good, I'm afraid. What the **** has happened to De Niro? Where's the powerhouse actor gone?

From Paris With Love (2010) - Blu-ray rental. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is a political aide in Paris who's also trying to get into the line of spying. When he's teamed up with manic operative John Travolta all hell breaks loose. This was great fun and once the action starts it's non-stop. Travolta's hammy style perfectly suits his role here and I really enjoyed this. Luc Besson produces (and came up with the idea) and Pierre Morel does a fine job of directing.

Captain America (2011) - Poor Chris Evans has a skinny CGI body, then the miracles of modern science give him a super-fit body, the CGI disappears, and he becomes Captain America and goes off to fight the Nazis. It's all noise and bluster, but it's great fun and hugely enjoyable. Nothing too taxing on the brain here, but I had a great time. The teaser trailer at the end for The Avengers had me drooling in anticipation!
Old 21st January 2012, 07:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Great post Daemonia.
Old 21st January 2012, 07:23 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Tucker and Dale is a great film, very well done and pumps fresh blood into an old genre.

I like Is Anyone There? too.
Daemonia and Prince_Vajda like this.
Old 21st January 2012, 08:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

I also got round to Tucker and Dale vs Evil last night. Gotta say, it didn't really do it for me. Felt like one gag from a sketch show padded out to feature length. Not to say it was all bad, thought Tyler Labine as Dale, and his relationship with Katrina Bowden's character was quite endearing. Didn't think much of the rest of the cast though - and the kid playing the 'villain' was awful! A very low laugh rate for me, unlike Super which I rewatched the night before and laughed my ass off once again . . .
Old 21st January 2012, 08:35 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I sometimes feel like I can't be bothered watching films either, though. I think it came down to the fact that I had so many of them, it was such a daunting task choosing one to watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
God yeah, same here. The amount of time I spend in front of my shelves deciding what to watch I could easily have fitted another film in
That's perfectly normal, don't worry!

Greetings!

Like this? Share it using the links below!