Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179476Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2012, 02:22 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

saw MACHETE again last night, with my girlfriend
a brilliant film
violence, nudity, humour....great film
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 28th January 2012, 02:55 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
saw MACHETE again last night, with my girlfriend
a brilliant film
violence, nudity, humour....great film
Yes indeed. Watch a triple bill with Planet Terror and Death Proof some time later - the three movies belong together!

Greetings!
Old 28th January 2012, 03:02 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Yes indeed. Watch a triple bill with Planet Terror and Death Proof some time later - the three movies belong together!

Greetings!
wasn't a fan of DP/PT due to the excessive 'Grindhouse look' esp on PT
but MACHETE which had its deliberate print damage in the beginning but after the credits, great pq and a fantastic film, though my girlfriend did look away a number of times at the violence while i was loving and laughing at it, so OTT
imo its better than HOBO as well
Old 28th January 2012, 03:08 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I still haven't seen Machete. I was disappointed by Hobo but I probably wasn't in the mood for that type of film when I watched it and to top it all, the wife was moaning about how terrible it was!
Old 28th January 2012, 03:14 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'm sure some will disagree but I thought Machete was way way better than Hobo. I think Hobo tries to hard to throw in too many homages and ends up as a bit of a comical mess.

Machete goes a bit OTT at the end but is a pretty good film overall.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 28th January 2012, 03:16 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
I also got round to Tucker and Dale vs Evil last night. Gotta say, it didn't really do it for me. Felt like one gag from a sketch show padded out to feature length. Not to say it was all bad, thought Tyler Labine as Dale, and his relationship with Katrina Bowden's character was quite endearing. Didn't think much of the rest of the cast though - and the kid playing the 'villain' was awful! A very low laugh rate for me, unlike Super which I rewatched the night before and laughed my ass off once again . . .
Ha! I watched that film just the other night and luved it! I thought it was brilliant and very clever - a nice take on the genre without being a spoof and without being pretentious post-modern garbage like Scream 4. I thought it was a lot of fun and will definetly be watching it again soon.
Old 28th January 2012, 04:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

Yeah I thought the idea was quite clever, but like I say, probably would've worked better as one sketch in a sketch show. They stretched it a bit too far in the film, and events felt increasingly forced in order the keep the gag running . . .
Old 28th January 2012, 04:55 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Saw Fincher's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Thought it was incredibly well done. Amuses me that it keeps getting referred to as 'the Hollywood remake' when there's nothing very Hollywood about it; after the Oscar attention of Benjamin Button and The Social Network I'm glad he went for something a lot less compromising and more hard-going. Reminds you what a versatile director he is. A great adaptation of the source material and I really hope he does the other 2 in the series

Also watched Kubrick's The Killing last night. One of those films I've wanted to see for ages and it did not disappoint. Excellent noir-y tone, wonderful plot and storyline and some fantastic camerawork (especially the shot where you see Johnny enter the Chess and Checkers building not realising you're watching him reflected in the mirror until the camera pulls back. Incredible stuff). Criterion did a hell of a job with the transfer too, although you wouldn't expect anything less really. Highly recommended.
Old 28th January 2012, 04:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

Me and Orson Welles

My first Zac Efron film, and I bloody loved it . Of course, the main attraction here isn't the shiny song n' dance fella, but the towering performance by Christian McKay as Orson Welles. He gets the voice, mannerisms, arrogance, and charisma errily spot-on, and the film is a joy to watch whenever he's on screen. In addition to that, you get an ensemble of fine Brit character actor performances, my favourite being rising star Leo Bill as Norman Lloyd. The climactic production of Julius Caesar is thrillingly recreated, and really gives a sense of how innovative Welles' staging was to audiences of the time. Efron and Claire Danes are saddled with a highly conventional romantic subplot, but the good will generated by the rest of the film is more than enough to compensate. Linklater bathes everything in a warm nostalgic glow, and is a perfect sunday afternoon entertainment . . .
Old 28th January 2012, 05:01 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Also watched Kubrick's The Killing last night. One of those films I've wanted to see for ages and it did not disappoint. Excellent noir-y tone, wonderful plot and storyline and some fantastic camerawork (especially the shot where you see Johnny enter the Chess and Checkers building not realising you're watching him reflected in the mirror until the camera pulls back. Incredible stuff). Criterion did a hell of a job with the transfer too, although you wouldn't expect anything less really. Highly recommended.
It's a brilliant piece of film making and Sterling Hayden as Johnny Clay should be mentioned in the same discussion when talking about people like Bronson, Eastwood and Lee Marvin. It shows how brilliant a visionary film maker Kubrick was. I even ejoyed the dragnet style voice over.

Like this? Share it using the links below!