Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions


Like Tree36433Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #19291  
Old 10th January 2013, 06:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bremen
Default

Tonights film Carancho.

One of my favourite films of 2010 (although I only saw it because there were no seats left for the Fantastic Fest screening I wanted to attend so I watched this instead) so I was a little cautious returning to it. No worries, its still a great story and a fantastic film. Its about the relationship between an ambulance chasing insurance investigator and an emergency doctor who repeatedly meet at the scene of motor accidents in the Argentinian capital - at the time there were a lot of 'deliberate' accidents arranged in collusion with the investigators so that people could claim large amounts of insurance money.
Reply With Quote
  #19292  
Old 10th January 2013, 06:40 PM
PaulD's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Newcastle, UK
Default

Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. I'm doing a Tarantino quiz at my local cinema next week so thought it was a good time to go through his filmography.
Hawkmonger likes this.
__________________
Letterboxd | Twitter | Facebook
Reply With Quote
  #19293  
Old 10th January 2013, 06:45 PM
suziginajackson's Avatar
Cult Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Behind the bar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. I'm doing a Tarantino quiz at my local cinema next week so thought it was a good time to go through his filmography.
Maybe this'll help

__________________
People try to put us down
Just because we get around

Golly, Gee it's wrong to be so guilty
Reply With Quote
  #19294  
Old 10th January 2013, 07:17 PM
bizarre_eye@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Black Lodge
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Recent viewings:

Reply With Quote
  #19295  
Old 10th January 2013, 07:30 PM
bdc's Avatar
bdc bdc is online now
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Belgium
Default

Nice selection BE.
What are your thoughts on Night of Fear and So Young,So Lovely,So Vicious?
Reply With Quote
  #19296  
Old 10th January 2013, 07:51 PM
bizarre_eye@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Black Lodge
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Nice selection BE.
What are your thoughts on Night of Fear and So Young,So Lovely,So Vicious?
Thanks, b.

Night of Fear was surprisingly good, clocking in at under an hour, on the surface it appears to be pretty standard Aussie outback horror fare, but is also actually quite surreal in places with some interesting jump cut imagery, and pretty solid performances.

So Young, So Lovely, So Vicious was slightly disappointing. It's a lightly erotic drama, that meanders a bit too much... although a (pretty much constantly) naked Gloria Guida certainly makes up for it
bdc likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #19297  
Old 10th January 2013, 07:56 PM
bdc's Avatar
bdc bdc is online now
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Belgium
Default

I thought Night of Fear was pretty strong for a (unaired) pilot of a (never made) tv series (Fright).
It was banned for many years by the Aussie censors...
Reply With Quote
  #19298  
Old 10th January 2013, 08:12 PM
JoshuaKaitlyn's Avatar
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: On the wet side of the Pennines!
Default

Bluebeard (Barbe-bleue) (1901)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post311201
sawyer6 likes this.
__________________
"I, who served the Cross. I, who commanded nations, hundreds of years before you were born."
Reply With Quote
  #19299  
Old 10th January 2013, 09:07 PM
Hawkmonger's Avatar
Cult Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bolton...The Cursed Earth of Europe
Default

Darkness Light Darkness (1990)- Jan Svankmajor
After mine and Goji's...enlightening...discusions elsewhere concerning the artistic choices of various sources I thought i'd check out something from his 'faveorate' director, a short claymation film of his. It didn't do much for me. Personaly I thought it was well crafted but the realism was creepy, and thats not what i want in animation, realism. I want escapism and although 7 minuets isn't alot of time to ask at the very least make something happen. I get the feeling this was supposed to be a statement of some kind, but besides a penis getting wet and shrinking (alas, we all know how that feels) there wasn't any real depth. Maybe I need to give one of his feature's a chance to understand where Goji is coming from.
Reply With Quote
  #19300  
Old 10th January 2013, 09:11 PM
bizarre_eye@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Black Lodge
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
I thought Night of Fear was pretty strong for a (unaired) pilot of a (never made) tv series (Fright).
It was banned for many years by the Aussie censors...
I never knew it had been banned. It is quite manic and there is a lot of implied sexual violence. Nothing too extreme, although I suppose TV does have it's own 'standards' of violence.
Reply With Quote
  #19301  
Old 10th January 2013, 09:16 PM
Gojirosan's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Liverpool, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Darkness Light Darkness (1990)- Jan Svankmajor
After mine and Goji's...enlightening...discusions elsewhere concerning the artistic choices of various sources I thought i'd check out something from his 'faveorate' director, a short claymation film of his. It didn't do much for me. Personaly I thought it was well crafted but the realism was creepy, and thats not what i want in animation, realism. I want escapism and although 7 minuets isn't alot of time to ask at the very least make something happen. I get the feeling this was supposed to be a statement of some kind, but besides a penis getting wet and shrinking (alas, we all know how that feels) there wasn't any real depth. Maybe I need to give one of his feature's a chance to understand where Goji is coming from.

Interesting. I have no idea where you are coming from with the "Realism" thing. It is, if anything, Surrealist. It couldn't be further from Realism!
Reply With Quote
  #19302  
Old 10th January 2013, 09:18 PM
Hawkmonger's Avatar
Cult Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bolton...The Cursed Earth of Europe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Interesting. I have no idea where you are coming from with the "Realism" thing. It is, if anything, Surrealist. It couldn't be further from Realism!
I'm more refering to the obvies use of human mould for the model, it just looked like an anatomical doll granted life. I didn't enjoy looking at it, actualy unnerved me quite a bit. Sureal yes, but not entertainingly so.
Reply With Quote
  #19303  
Old 10th January 2013, 09:20 PM
Frankie Teardrop's Avatar
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Leeds, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Recent viewings:

Some great choices there as always, Bizarre_Eye.I love 'The Demon Seed'... it's pretty perverse and weird for a mainstream(ish) sci-fi film. My fantasy is that Hisayasu Sato will one day do a really vicious XXX remake.

What's 100 tears like? I was looking for a copy recently, but couldn't find one. I know it's supposed to be quite gory, and, as trite as it sounds, I'm a sucker for clowns.
Reply With Quote
  #19304  
Old 10th January 2013, 09:21 PM
Gojirosan's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Liverpool, UK
Default

Well, I find Darkness Light Darkness to be one of his lighter, funnier animations (despite the almost Cronenbergian aspects of body reshaping and flux). So maybe I would avoid his other stuff if you were unnerved by that!
Reply With Quote
  #19305  
Old 10th January 2013, 09:23 PM
Hawkmonger's Avatar
Cult Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bolton...The Cursed Earth of Europe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Well, I find Darkness Light Darkness to be one of his lighter, funnier animations (despite the almost Cronenbergian aspects of body reshaping and flux). So maybe I would avoid his other stuff if you were unnerved by that!
I'm pissed off after a crap Biology exam today, so might be my bad. I'll revist him some day for sure, it was an interesting short viewing, not sure if it'll age like wine or vinegar though.
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Tags
cinema, paranormal activity, recently watched, upcoming films, watched

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Have You Bought Recently? The Reaper Man@Cult Labs General Film Discussions 39295 Yesterday 06:30 PM
SEEN ANY BRITISH GEMS RECENTLY? The Reaper Man@Cult Labs General Horror Chat 86 12th February 2015 03:24 PM


Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.