Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Angel 23rd September 2008 03:10 PM

I thought Dollman was absolutely terrible.

Could hardly be worse.

Halloween_22 23rd September 2008 03:26 PM

The premise was better than the film itself unfortunatley. A thirteen inch tall alien cop cleaning up the hood :p priceless. Shame it turned out to be so bad.

TALL DUDE 23rd September 2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halloween_22 (Post 14395)
The premise was better than the film itself unfortunatley. A thirteen inch tall alien cop cleaning up the hood :p priceless. Shame it turned out to be so bad.

Dollman vs demonic toys will be with us on r2 dvd very shortly.

Cant wait!:jest:

cloud 23rd September 2008 05:41 PM

I ordered me the 21 disc Hammer set today against my better judgement :rolleyes:. I found it going for ?27 delivered and just couldn't resist. To be honest I already own most of the titles but there are 7 or 8 I don't have and it'll look stunning on the shelf so what the hell!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd September 2008 05:44 PM

Cracking set Cloudy-I bought this and sold the individuals on Amazon....;)
Btw,I had a quick look at Evil Laugh-Pic quality and the extras are fine mate....

cloud 23rd September 2008 05:47 PM

Nice one. Is the film any good?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd September 2008 05:50 PM

Never watched it-stuck Quadrophenia on instead-I was only testing to see if it was of vhs quality....;)

TALL DUDE 23rd September 2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 14408)
Never watched it-stuck Quadrophenia on instead-I was only testing to see if it was of vhs quality....;)

The term classic was coined not for citizen kane,as many believe,but for the masterpiece that is quadrophenia!
All together now.."we are the mods,we are the mods,we are,we are,we are the mods."
Feckin brilliant.:cool:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd September 2008 07:06 PM

Why should I care,if I have to cut my hair......;)

vincenzo 23rd September 2008 08:59 PM

I first saw Quadrophenia on a double bill back in the early 80's with Death Race 2000.

Both films had the audience cheering. Fabulous stuff.

dougal 24th September 2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TALL DUDE (Post 14419)
The term classic was coined not for citizen kane,as many believe,but for the masterpiece that is quadrophenia!
All together now.."we are the mods,we are the mods,we are,we are,we are the mods."
Feckin brilliant.:cool:

Possibly the best film of all time!! :cool:

Halloween_22 26th September 2008 03:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up this little beauty in HMV today for 30 quid. All six Babycart/ Lone wolf & Cub films digitally remastered all with nice new matching artwork and info booklets :cool: Definatley worth picking up for that price.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th September 2008 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Recieved this today,always meant to get round to seeing it on vhs in the eighties,but never did,so I'm looking forward to it.....
Slightly pissed though-I paid 15 dollars for it from Amazon and it arrived with a BEST BUY price sticker attatched to it for 8.99 dollars.....shafted....:mad:

cloud 26th September 2008 05:12 PM

Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between the BABYCART series and the SHOGUN ASSASSIN ones?

Halloween_22 26th September 2008 05:24 PM

Shogun Assassin was made by combining footage from 'Sword of Vengeance' and 'Babycart at River Styx' to make one film. I think it was those two anyway, not 100% sure.

trench 26th September 2008 05:24 PM

"Shogun Assassin" was released as an English language compilation for the American audience, edited mainly from the second film ("Babycart at the River Styx"), with 11 minutes of footage from the first ("Sword of Vengeance"). Also, the third film, "Baby Cart to Hades" was re-released on DVD in the US under the name "Shogun Assassin 2: Lightning Swords of Death".

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th September 2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 14619)
Recieved this today,always meant to get round to seeing it on vhs in the eighties,but never did,so I'm looking forward to it.....
Slightly pissed though-I paid 15 dollars for it from Amazon and it arrived with a BEST BUY price sticker attatched to it for 8.99 dollars.....shafted....:mad:

Anyone else seen this?

cloud 26th September 2008 05:31 PM

But hang about chaps, I'm checking Amazon and there are 4 sequels to Shogun Assassin... my confusion is growing :confused:.

TALL DUDE 26th September 2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 14625)
Anyone else seen this?

Yonks ago on the old cic video release.Not bad,wouldnt mind seeing it again.
You know where i am if you want rid.;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th September 2008 05:47 PM

If it's shite,then I know who phone mate.....:jest:

TALL DUDE 26th September 2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 14633)
If it's shite,then I know who phone mate.....:jest:

Thought yah would!;)

Halloween_22 26th September 2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 14628)
But hang about chaps, I'm checking Amazon and there are 4 sequels to Shogun Assassin... my confusion is growing :confused:.

hmmm, so there is. I dunno cloud. Maybe the other babycart films got released titled as Shogun Assassin sequels at some point. I dont know if thats actually the case but it's all I can come up with. Trench might know more about it maybe.

Halloween_22 26th September 2008 09:10 PM

Aswell as Babycart I also picked up a bunch of cheap cheesey looking action and kung-fu films in CEX this afternoon. Got Final Executioner, Low Blow, One Man Force, Killer X, Portrait of a hitman, Drunken Master, Revenge of the Drunken Master, Red Shadow, Hired to Kill and The Gladiator. The whole lot came to under a tenner. :woot: Just gotta find the time to actually watch them now :rolleyes:

WaveCrest 27th September 2008 05:51 PM

DVD (Film):

The Entity (1981) (R1)
Midnite Movie Double Bill - Countess Dracula/The Vampire Lovers (R1)
The Entrance (horror starring Sarah-Jane Redmond who played Lucy Butler in the TV series Millennium).

I haven't watched any of these films yet so I can't say if I can recommend them or not.

Halloween_22 28th September 2008 11:37 AM

Watched a couple of films last night I picked up recently. Charles Band's Hideous! and recent brit shocker Broken.

Hideous! was a pretty bad film in all respects but good old Charles Band sure knows how to make bad films entertaining ;) It was pretty fun (it probably helped that i'd had a few beers beforehand) but if you like Puppet Master, Ghoulies and the like you might enjoy this. Jacqueline Lovell walking round pretty much naked the whole time certainly helps :p

Broken was a pretty nasty Saw/ Hostel type cash in about a woman kidnapped and held captive in some woods where she's made to do pretty sick things in some kind of endurance test to see if she'll stick it out in hopes of getting her daughter back, or give up and kill herself. Not a bad film at all really, it was a bit grim and downbeat in places but dragged a bit in others. Worth watching though overall.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th September 2008 07:31 PM

Bought the 3 disc Memento today-anyone know how to access the egg to play the film from start to end?

cloud 28th September 2008 08:04 PM

Wise purchase, reaps. Memento is a masterpiece, the modern day Citizen Kane. I amazingly found the 3 discer in a charity shop for ?1, back in 2006!!

The chronological version is on disc 2. It's somewhere by the bottom of the torso and you press right or left on the control.

WaveCrest 28th September 2008 10:29 PM

Hawaii Five-O: Season 4 (R2)
Dallas: Season 9 (R2) - it's really season 8 as Warner Brothers cocked-up with the labelling of the boxsets when they started releasing Dallas on DVD

Minder - Series 6 & 7 (R2).

trench 28th September 2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halloween_22 (Post 14646)
hmmm, so there is. I dunno cloud. Maybe the other babycart films got released titled as Shogun Assassin sequels at some point. I dont know if thats actually the case but it's all I can come up with. Trench might know more about it maybe.

That's exactly what happened, they're just English dubbed versions.

mark meakin 29th September 2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trench (Post 14783)
That's exactly what happened, they're just English dubbed versions.

This is the definitive "Lone Wolf & Cub" set below IMHO.The UK boxed set is cut for violence & sexual violence and the prints/subtitling are poorer.I believe the first film was apparently re-released in a remastered version here, but if you can get the r1 set cheap get it ,as the films still put many recent action films to shame http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lone-Wolf-Cu...2684101&sr=1-9

WaveCrest 29th September 2008 10:42 PM

DVD (TV):

Early Edition: Season One (R1)

DVD (Film):

Bryan Loves You (R1) - horror movie
The Dead Girl (R2) - murder mystery/ensemble drama.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 29th September 2008 11:39 PM

The Last Shark-hilarious Jaws ripoff with a shark that has a bigger IQ than Carol Vorderman and can eat helicopters.....what the hell accent is Vic Morrow supposed to have? Irish? Italain?.....:rofl:
Almar,you mentioned this a while back-well worth getting a hold of mate....;)

abaddon 1st October 2008 12:11 PM

I bought the UK Lone Wolf & Cub boxset ages, but a couple of the movies were cut and picture quality was fairly poor. Ended up selling them on ebay and getting most of my money back. I bought the R1 singles in a DeepDiscountDVD sale rather than the boxset to avoid import duty and being ripped off by the post office. Absolutely cracking set of films. Shogun Assassin was based on the first two movies, Sword Of Vengeance & Baby Cart At The River Styx, probably my favourites of the series. I know the third movie Baby Cart To Hades, was also released as Shogun Assassin 2: Lightening Swords Of Death but didn?t know the rest had. I don?t know if Shogun Assasin was recut & dubbed like the original Shogun Assassin, or if its just a renaming.

Abaddon.

abaddon 1st October 2008 01:13 PM

It's been a while since I gave a run-down on my recent purchases, so here goes:

All The Colours Of The Dark - Instantly became one of my favourite Giallos of all time. Can't recommend this enough.
The Beast In Space - Bought both versions, but should have listened to advice and just gone for the unrated one. Definitely one of the so-bad-its-good movies. I was surprised how badly Sirpa Lane had aged though since The Beast.
Blood Trilogy - Enjoyed Blood Feast & particularly Two Thousand Maniacs but thought Colour Me Blood Red was just boring.
Cloverfield - Didn't think I'd enjoy this, but actually thought it was quite good.
Doriana Grey - Not Franco's finest moment - leaves far too little to the imagination and has a really poor dub. Why couldn't we have had subtitles to go with the original language soundtrack.
Evilspeak - Just seen the extended version so far on this Anchor Bay double disc. Nice little movie and probably sits in the middle of the video nasty spectrum. Well worth watching once you've run out of the top-tier nasties.
Flesh For The Beast - Got this in a Shriek Show triple feature. It's the R-rated version rather than the unrated-version, but I can't see a bit more flesh making this any better. Avoid. Already put this on eBay.
French Connection & French Connection II - Haven't seen these in ages and managed to pick up this double feature really cheaply. I know the first movie is meant to be the classic, but I actually preferred the sequel which is very unusual for me. Both fantastic films though.
The Gore Gore Girls - My favourite H.G. Lewis movie. It may be seedy exploitative trash, but it's exceedingly good seedy exploitative trash.
Inglorious Bastards - One of the most enjoyable movies I've seen in a long time. I'm really dreading to see what Tarantino does to the remake. I bought the 3-disc SE and can thoroughly recommend it.
James Bond Collection - Saw this for 60 quid at HMV and couldn't resist it. I'm about half way through the set (watching in order of production rather than the daft order it comes in) and enjoying every minute. Plenty of nostalgia value.
Jess Franco Double Bill Vol. 2 - Devil Island Lovers was quite enjoyable. Believe it or not, replacing the copious quantities of nudity usually seen in Franco's other entries in this genre with some plot actually made it a decent movie. Shame we couldn't have had both though. I found Night Of The Assassin quite boring.
Rambo - Great for a mainstream film. Unbelievable carnage levels. Highly recommended particularly now its hit the sales.
Visiting Hours - OK but not worth its reputation as a video nasty even in its uncut import state. Still, one for the collection.
Werewolf Woman - Also got this in a Shriek Show triple feature (probably the same one that Flesh For The Beast came in). Surprised myself my really enjoying this, though if you buy it to see werewolves you're going to be disappointed - apart from a five minute intro there aren't any to be seen. Still, highly recommended piece of psychological exploitation horror.
Witch Who Came From The Sea - Another video nasty and one of the better ones. Can't believe I haven't seen this until now. Got the R1 import since I already had most of the other films in the Box Of The Banned.

Cheers,
Abaddon.

Creepshow 1st October 2008 02:35 PM

I got it some time ago but anyone missing the CREEPSHOW 2-Disc Special Edition is seriously missing out.

What a release...

Matt 2nd October 2008 09:02 AM

Play.com has an excellent horror sale on at the moment (it's under their 'DVD Bargains' section as 'Price Massacre'). I had to limit my spending because the missus would have chainsawed my face off had I bought everything I wanted, but I ordered the Scanners Trilogy, the Phantasm boxset and The Crazies which came to about ?20. They've got some great stuff in there for ?3. I was on the brink of ordering the Sleepaway Camp trilogy for ?6, but figured the madness had to end somewhere and since I've only seen the first and wasn't a fan that was probably the place to stop.

Also picked up the Wicker Man 3 disc set from HMV at the weekend for ?7.

Sarah@Cult Labs 2nd October 2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 14956)
I was on the brink of ordering the Sleepaway Camp trilogy for ?6, but figured the madness had to end somewhere and since I've only seen the first and wasn't a fan that was probably the place to stop.

The second and third Sleepaway Camp films are quite good. Bar being set in summer camps, they're very different to the first film which, if I remember rightly, was quite slow and stylised. Parts 2 and 3 are a bit like postmodern horror before there was postmodern horror. Worth a watch although I think some of the gore is still cut...

Matt 2nd October 2008 03:00 PM

I have since caved in and bought the Sleepaway Camp set. So it's good to know that the sequels might be better.

It's terrible really, I think being bored at work accounts for about half the DVD's I buy.

Sarah@Cult Labs 2nd October 2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 14982)
It's terrible really, I think being bored at work accounts for about half the DVD's I buy.

I have a similar problem. Right now I'm meant to be reading a book on media and politics (doesn't that sound exciting?) but somehow I managed to convince myself to browse play.com instead!

Halloween_22 3rd October 2008 12:18 PM

Cheers for the info on Play.com. Just stopped by and picked up Sleepaway Camp trilogy, Trauma, Ghosts of Edendale, The Exterminator, The Crazies, CHUD 2: Bud the Chud, Razorback, Children shouldn't play with dead Things and Mother of Tears. The whole lot for 30 quid :cool: