Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2012, 01:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Oh yeah, actually I think your review on Amazon swayed me into buying it in the first place! I'm glad, because despite the aspects which don't work it's clearly very much one of a kind.
mark meakin and keirarts like this.
Old 15th April 2012, 01:49 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Saw Cabin the Woods in the theatre, and thought it was pretty brilliant, actually. Review forthcoming, but I highly recommend it!
Old 15th April 2012, 03:24 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Oh yeah, actually I think your review on Amazon swayed me into buying it in the first place! I'm glad, because despite the aspects which don't work it's clearly very much one of a kind.
cheers, It was a tough film to review because objectively there were many reasons to slate the film. All listed in previous posts here. But some films I like in spit of themselves and the redeemer is certainly one of those movies.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 15th April 2012, 05:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default What films have you seen recently?

A few rewatches today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg splinter.jpg (98.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg zombieland.jpg (102.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg fightclub.jpg (96.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 15th April 2012, 05:59 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicDakin View Post
A few rewatches today
Splinter is a great monster movie, some really good practical FX in there too.
VicDakin likes this.
Old 15th April 2012, 06:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN - Recommended. Disturbing and depressing. L Ramsay's take on the aftermath of a high school massacre, although it's possibly more about a woman's alienation from her socially prescribed role. T Swinton is great and invites connection despite the emotional constriction of self and environment on display.
7 DAYS - Father takes it all out on murderer of daughter. Chilly, clinical, again, something of a downer - although for me it lacked intensity somehow and I felt uninvolved. Perhaps this was intentional in a Haneke-esque sort of way - I like movies based around the theme of revenge, but their emotional dynamics are often dodgy, similar to those manipulated by certain sections of the media during wartime.
DEVIATION - It's alright, but nothing new. Nurse is kidnapped by escaped psychopath, and the pair begin a twilight journey through big uncaring London. Dyer is OK. The whole thing sustains enough interest, mostly, without ever tipping over into anything more intimidating or intense than the usual captor-captive schtick. But it does succeed in generating the foreboding sense of the city at night - foreboding to the extent that, whatever the threat, no-one really gives a shit if it's not happening to them. Also the evocative sense of endless empty streets. Shame though, the title makes me think of some lost 70s Brit grot with the potential to be quite perverse.
PONTYPOOL - Virus spreads through smalltown Canadia, leaving hordes of violent plague carriers in its wake as reported on from within the confines of a radio studio. This time, the virus is transmitted through speech patterns. '28 Days' does Burroughs? Conceptually ambitious, all the more so for trying to realise its aspirations in the context of a genre flick. Partially successful, I really liked the first half, which managed to sustain a really grim atmosphere of looming horror - after the halfway mark, it all became just a bit too 'similar'.
SWEATSHOP - Annoying clubbers decide to put on a show in an abandoned warehouse, forgetting that they look like extras from an early eighties Italian post-apocalypse rip off rather than actual ravers. Or, having not bored the shit out of some random stranger with a gyratingly jaw-lined and chemically treated appraisal of how great they are for a while, it may be that I'm out of touch with today's Yoot. In any case, this a standard trap 'em and slash 'em by numbers effort, elevated slightly by the oppressive environment, the high level of gore and the fact that the killers, for no apparent reason whatsoever, are a ghoul in a tattered wedding dress and a fur 'n' hides clad behemoth wielding an anvil-like killing device. How 'elevated' that actually gets you will depend on individual response and tolerence - I wasn't exactly floating, but I was probably grinning like a dickhead at points.
Old 16th April 2012, 08:51 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Cabin in the Woods - not going to say much about it but go and see it. Seriously. Such an enjoyable, well-made, funny (although not at all scary) horror film.
Old 16th April 2012, 11:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched The Last Exorcism on telly last night. liked. for all it's faults, i enjoyed this. The trailer did put me off, as i thought twas just another found footage film, even i'm getting sick of them etc, but for me the last segment, though a tad farfetched (whadda want ferchrissakes? it's a HORROR film ) really made me want to watch it again.

Getting quite excited about seeing Demons tomorrow on the big screen, not really bothered if the young ones laugh at it. Though this IS the reason i'm nae going to see Inferno in Dundead sadly, as i don't want it ruined by ignorant SAW fans....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th April 2012, 04:47 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Watched The Beast in Space today - no idea what to say really - over-the-top, crazily, mad, sex-filled, sci-fi nonsense. I loved it!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 16th April 2012, 04:52 PM
Ex-member

watched HIGH LANE aka VERTIGE a slow and boring French 'horror thriller'
if it was fast paced it might of been a better film..
ADVENTURES OF A PRIVATE EYE - a 70's comedy (I had seen before) which I saw with my girlfriend and despite the corny jokes was funny, and my sister was in it for about 4 seconds! They filmed some scenes in a night club where was working at the time

Like this? Share it using the links below!