All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th April 2012, 08:36 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Another film night with a close friend of mine. Our regular meetings (every three or four weeks) not only consist of movie marathons. There's also lots of chatter and decent meat and drink; that is why we only watched three films, before falling asleep at 5am.

Natural Born Killers - The Director's Cut (1994). Nice mix of crazy editing, quite a bit of violent action, and social criticism/commentary. A modern version of Bonnie and Clyde. Both Harrelson and Lewis play their roles with enthusiasm - he's really cool and she's really hot. Juliette Lewis never looked better - and she's a very convincing crazy criminal chick. Tom Sizemore's and Tommy Lee Jones' performances are (positively) over the top. Great soundtrack, too.
The strange editing and the visual gimmicks (graphic novel look, red filter, black and white,…), some of the film's merits, get a little bit repetitive, though.

---
Mallory: That's the worst ****in' head I ever got in my life! Next time don't be so ****in' eager!

Scagnetti: Oswald might've been a pussy, but he was a great shot.

[Studying Mallory's imprint at a crime scene]
Jack Scagnetti: Now that is a perfect ass.

Mallory: Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad!
---

*** out of ****

Commando (1985). Non-stop action, a myriad of one-liners, humour, and Arnie – what’s not to like? Seriously, I think this is one of the best Action films of the 80s, and maybe my personal favourite of this genre. Of course, you have to accept the fact that our hero is almost invincible - but the same goes for almost all 80s Action flicks, and Arnie most certainly does look invincible. Look out for a The Prowler style kill in the final scenes.

---
Matrix: Remember, Sully, when I promised to kill you last?
Sully: That's right, Matrix! You did!
Matrix: I lied.

Cooke: You scared, mother****er? Well, you should be, because this Green Beret is going to kick your big ass!
Matrix: I eat Green Berets for breakfast. And right now, I'm very hungry!

Gen. Kirby: Keep on the airwaves and let me know if you hear anything unusual.
Soldier: I'll keep at it. What are you expecting?
Gen. Kirby: World War Three.
---

*** ½ out of ****

High Tension (2003). One of the finest modern Horror films. Really creepy, with fantastic cinematography, a great amount of gore (Giannetto De Rossi!), and a convincing (and cute-looking) Cecile De France in the leading role. Philippe “The Butcher” Nahon (Gaspar Noé’s Irreversible and I Stand Alone) takes a low-key approach to the role of the sadistic killer – perfectly proving that less can be more. As for the final twist: if you really payed attention to the movie, you’ll get it and applaud loudly. I got it, I forgot about a few little inconsistencies, and I loved it till the very last seconds. Mr Ebert, go get yourself some brain cells!*

*** ½ out of ****

All three are highly recommended.

As for my friend: he did like Natural Born Killers (although he thought it was a bit too crazy; he also had to put up with me constantly praising Juliette Lewis' lovely bum and her flithy voice; we both adored the orange Challenger), he very much liked Commando (and loved Sully's yellow Porsche, and almost burst into tears when it was heavily dented; we both loved Arnie's Austrian accent and could not stop imitating him afterwards), and he loved High Tension (he was 'dead tired' (wink, wink) and yet he managed to keep himself awake till the end; his first words: "She (i.e. De France) is a lesbian, isn't she?")

Greetings!

* Quite a few of Ebert's reviews are highly entertaining and spot-on, but his High Tension review is a disgrace.

PS: I moved this post from another place (see page 1310 of this thread) - you'll find a mini review of The Witches there.

A perfect night in my eyes great films and a crap load of MEAT.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 20th April 2012, 08:42 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
A perfect night in my eyes great films and a crap load of MEAT.
As for meat...there's one scene in Commando where Matrix and Cooke are fighting in a hotel room, resulting in a total destruction of the latter.
Cindy's comment: "These guys eat too much red meat."

Both my friend and me had eaten beef steak for supper!

Greetings!
PaulD and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 20th April 2012, 08:47 PM
Cult Master

I see in your score for Commando you gave 3 1/2 hope the half point off was that the movie had to end thats the only downside to that movie for me
PaulD likes this.
Old 20th April 2012, 08:56 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
I see in your score for Commando you gave 3 1/2 hope the half point off was that the movie had to end thats the only downside to that movie for me
Within my rating system, four stars are restricted to all-time classics and all-time masterpieces - films that are not only top-notch within their genre, but in general. Commando is one of the finest Action flicks out there, but it's "only" a Action flick. That's why this Arnie flick got a *** 1/2 rating - if I only rated it in terms of entertainment, I'd have to give four stars, of course.

Greetings!

Last edited by Prince_Vajda; 21st April 2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 20th April 2012, 09:11 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Within my rating system, four stars are restricted to all-time classics and all-time masterpieces - films that are not only top-notch within their genre, but in general. Commando is one of the finest Action flicks out there, but it's "only" a Action flick. That's why this Arnie flick got a *** 1/2 rating - if I only rated at it in terms of entertainment, I'd have to give four stars, of course.

Greetings!
Thats a good point i just get caught up in all the testosterone fueled action it sort of clouds my judgement
Old 20th April 2012, 09:41 PM
Cult Addict

I watched a few Richard Kern short films earlier. They no longer hold the transgressive power they once had and now seem rather quaint.

DEATH VALLEY '69. Basically a video to the song by Sonic Youth.

RIGHT SIDE OF MY BRAIN. Lydia Lunch narrates a series of sexual fantasies and acts them out on screen. The fantasies become increasingly violent and less sexual as the film progresses. Look out for Henry Rollins beating up a child and Jim Thirlwell getting XXX with Lydia.

YOU KILLED ME FIRST. Highly funny tale of a dysfunctional family eating a huge turkey whilst berating the odd bod family member before she kills them all. I couldn't tell if this was meant to be serious or not. However Lung Leg is great, a mass of twitches and barely suppressed rage.

THE BITCHES. Two women compete to get a man's attention before they dress him up as a girl and spit roast him with jizz spurting strap ons! Very graphic but warm and fluffy at the same time.

THE SEWING CIRCLE. Using only deep breathing to numb the pain, a woman has her labia pierced before having her vagina sewn shut.Ouch.

X IS Y. A montage of girls and guns. It will seem very familiar to those who post on the random pictures thread.

FINGERED. Truly awesome and foul story of phone sex, fisting, anal sex, violence, guns, knives, cars and general mayhem. Imagine NATURAL BORN KILLERS made for £10 with the same mentality as FORCED ENTRY. Hunt it down now, it's great and deserves to be seen by more people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2010-05-15-22h51m47s220.jpg (14.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg tumblr_lhxcdueELG1qcvdh0o1_500.jpg (23.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg henry-rollins-lydia-lunch-hrll1.jpg (58.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 5462big.jpg (38.2 KB, 2 views)
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 20th April 2012, 09:45 PM
Cult Master

Henry Rollins beating up a child ha ha now that i gotta try see.
Old 20th April 2012, 09:49 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Henry Rollins beating up a child ha ha now that i gotta try see.
It's quite a brutal scene, the boy is only about 8 or 9 years old but Henry has him pinned up against a wall and at one point strangles him whilst bending the poor kids head right back.
Old 20th April 2012, 10:11 PM
Cultist

Watched a couple of Alberto De Martino flicks, Blazing Magnum and The Antichrist, all good fun! Gave Lizard In A Womans Skin a second viewing, Cirio H Santiago's Sisterhood, Fulci's AWESOME Contraband, Castellari's The Big Racket and Martino's The Violent Professionals, QUALITY!!!
Pete likes this.
Old 20th April 2012, 10:12 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
It's quite a brutal scene, the boy is only about 8 or 9 years old but Henry has him pinned up against a wall and at one point strangles him whilst bending the poor kids head right back.
Sounds pretty brutal and not as funny as i had first imagined. My apologies

Like this? Share it using the links below!