LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st April 2012, 03:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Sacrilege! Stone the heretic!

Seriously, I'm surprised to find someone who didn't like it as it's one of the great overlooked '80s slashers. Still, to each their own.
Its overlooked because its dull, flat and lifeless, oh and fairly bloodless too.
Old 21st April 2012, 04:34 PM
Cult Addict

WATERMEN.

Very generic backwoods/hills have eyes/texas chainsaw rip-off but set on the ocean with inbred hillbilly fishermen raping and killing a bunch of rich slackers on a boat and carving them up for bait. So long as you can get past the feeling you've seen it all before its not terrible, just mediocre.
Old 21st April 2012, 04:40 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Its overlooked because its dull, flat and lifeless, oh and fairly bloodless too.
In my book, that's a total no-no for a Slasher.

Greetings!
Old 21st April 2012, 05:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
In my book, that's a total no-no for a Slasher.
Hey, Halloween is fairly bloodless, with all the horror through atmosphere and suspense. If I remember correctly, Michael only kills five people and a dog!
Old 21st April 2012, 05:22 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Hey, Halloween is fairly bloodless, with all the horror through atmosphere and suspense. If I remember correctly, Michael only kills five people and a dog!
You've got a point there!

Honestly, I don't count Halloween as a Slasher. It's so much more than just the first Slasher - but that would be worth a discussion on its own on another thread.

Greetings!
Old 21st April 2012, 05:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
You've got a point there!

Honestly, I don't count Halloween as a Slasher. It's so much more than just the first Slasher - but that would be worth a discussion on its own on another thread.

Greetings!
Black Christmas is also all about the increasing dread and horror from the from the phone calls, knowing the killer is inside the house. I think Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street changed things and made filmmakers focus on the death scenes and 'body count' to a greater extent.

Like you say though, if there isn't a thread for this, there should be.
Old 21st April 2012, 08:45 PM
Active Cultist

Lourdes - Another slow moving bullet into the brain from Jessica Hausner. I'm not a Catholic, in fact I'm not religious at all and I find all the arcane rituals and liturgical music somewhat creepy. This movie is a serious exploration of this world and gripped me despite (because of?) the glacial pace. The director has a very personal style, she's definitely an auteur based on the 2 movies I've seen - this is like Hotel - a succession of beautifully composed medium/long shots, static but with multiple movements within the frame. Check the opening scene for a perfect illustration. The lead actress is fantastic and is surrounded by a great gallery of flawed characters all with their own agendas. Lourdes itself is part Catholic Disneyland part Vegas - I'II never visit it so it was fascinating to see. Inspired choice of closing music - randomness of fate mirrored in randomness of sound! In case you haven't guessed I'm loving the cerebal, subtly creepy films of Jessica Hausner and look forward to seeing more.
Old 21st April 2012, 10:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Just seen Code of Silence.

An excellent Chuck Norris action film with a little more going on in the storyline than many films of this ilk. In this case a side story regarding corrupt cops from Norris' unit which gave the main rival mobs storyline a run for its money.

Nice violence, with a seedy turn from the great Henry Silva.

Possibly gave the makers of Robocop an idea as well.

Recommended for action fans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1985-code-of-silence-poster1.jpg (78.9 KB, 1 views)
mark meakin, Pete and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 21st April 2012, 10:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just finished watching last series of prison break ...
Shame its finished i highly enjoyed it but wasnt keen on series 4 got bit daft and stupid and ridicolous to be honest in my opinion So many things annoyed me about it..
I highly enjoyed series 3 despite the critism it got ....
I still think the last bit the 1 and hr special would have still been a pretty decent watch even if it was recycled same story line as series 1 and 3 and was a whole series of trying to break sarah out..
Old 21st April 2012, 11:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

FRANKENSTEIN GENERAL HOSPITAL - Very silly comedy in which the great, great grandson of Baron Frankenstein continues is grandfather's experiment and creates his own monster, who then escapes, rampages around the hospital and ends up having kinky sex with, and then eventually marrying, the sexy Hospital Psychologist. Amusing, but could have been so much better. Still, it's not a bad way to waste a afternoon.

ZACHARIAH - Dubbed the worlds first 'electronic' western, and plays like a glorified music video for several late 60's/early 70's mostly obscure (well to me anyway!) American musicians. The story is about two boys (one played by Don 'Miami Vice' Johnson) who decide to leave everything behind and become outlaws. Had this played as a straight western without the music gimmick it would have been ok but the musical interludes prove to be nothing but a distraction.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Like this? Share it using the links below!