Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th April 2012, 06:09 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

went to see THE AVENGERS today. First film i've seen in 3D and to behonest it kind of ruined the experience for me. The Film however is great fun, non stop action, comedy and one liners from start to finish. The Hulk completely steals the film and Mark Ruffalo makes the best Bruce Banner. The 3D kind of ruined it for me because the glasses made everything darker , like watching a film in sunglasses.
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th April 2012, 06:20 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
went to see THE AVENGERS today. First film i've seen in 3D and to behonest it kind of ruined the experience for me. The Film however is great fun, non stop action, comedy and one liners from start to finish. The Hulk completely steals the film and Mark Ruffalo makes the best Bruce Banner. The 3D kind of ruined it for me because the glasses made everything darker , like watching a film in sunglasses.
my local cinema has made it hard to see the movie in 2d by severly limiting the screening times. Avengers needs to be seen 2D imo, the cinematography and color schemes of the film are brilliant and given my past experience of 3d trashing captain america and thor I decided to miss 3d this time round. At first I thought it was a harmless gimmick but 3d is making more and more annoyed.
Old 29th April 2012, 06:33 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
I saw it in 2D and, because it was shot that way and converted to 3D afterwards, I see no point in watching the stereoscopic version which probably only exists so people will pay more for the 'pleasure'.

If you can, try to find a 2D showing as it looks great like that and I can't imagine how the stereoscopic element would improve the viewing experience.
Old 29th April 2012, 06:43 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I can't imagine how the stereoscopic element would improve the viewing experience.
simply put. It dosent.

The marvel franchise are true, unabashed comic book movies in the mold of movies like like barbarella or mike hodges flash gordon. Unashamed of their more outlandish or camp aspects but instead using them to full advantage and revelling in them. AS a result the marvel films are SUPPOSED to be bright, colorful affairs and the 3d almost ruins that for a cheap gimmick designed by an increasingly desperate hollywood. Ironically the 2d screenings I managed to get too (yes, i've seen the avengers TWICE, what can I say, I've been a mighty world of marvel geek LONG before I was into cult movies) have all been full of people LOVING THE MOVIE. Even laughing and cheering. And the box office for the movie would have been a resounding success either way.
Old 29th April 2012, 06:50 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I haven't read a single comic book about one of the Avengers characters, but have seen the individual films which introduced these characters. I saw it on Thursday morning and, like the screening you mentioned, people were laughing out loud and having a great time – no doubt helped by not having to wear dark glasses!

I'll probably see it again next week and, though it felt a bit long, I'll probably enjoy it just as much as on Thursday.
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th April 2012, 06:57 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I haven't read a single comic book about one of the Avengers characters, but have seen the individual films which introduced these characters. I saw it on Thursday morning and, like the screening you mentioned, people were laughing out loud and having a great time – no doubt helped by not having to wear dark glasses!

I'll probably see it again next week and, though it felt a bit long, I'll probably enjoy it just as much as on Thursday.
i grew up with the comics and they're pretty true to the sources. I'm very vocal with my views on 3D, i don't like it, it's a gimmick that barely worked in the 50s and the 80s and only works now because technology is more advanced. I have bad eyesite so i have to wear glasses but thought i should at least watch one film in 3D in the cinema. I WONT be watching anymore 3D films if i can avoid it.
Daemonia and keirarts like this.
Old 29th April 2012, 10:19 PM
Cult Addict

"Unarmed But Dangerous". A post Tarantino revenge/gangster flick featuring Mat Fraser who was born with small arms due to thalidomide. Fraser plays a martial artist on the revenge trail after his wife is shot and his daughter kidnapped. The film also features Faye Tozer from the group Steps as an alcoholic, potty mouthed gangster's wife who takes it up the dumper and wants to pour acid on children! Fun from start to finish.
Old 29th April 2012, 10:24 PM
Cult Addict

just watched the optimum double bill of blacula and scream blacula scream.

blacula.jpg

plain no-nonsense vampire fun in the best tradition of AIP. Incredibly entertaining and well-made on a low budget. Optimums release looks fantastic as well.
Old 30th April 2012, 09:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Fire Walk With Me. Like a Douglas Sirk film if he had the same hangups as Todd Solodonz, this claims to be the "last 7 days of Laura Palmer' s life".
Hated this at the time, as i felt the all star cast over balanced the actual premise, and i still have misgivings about this, as i feel that along with WAH this is his most "by-the-numbers" period imo. You can almost see Lynch bucking against this in the frankly deranged giallo-esque ending, though elements of this contradict the tv series.

The bit in the club still rocks though

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th April 2012, 10:15 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Ghostkeeper

Ages ago that I watched this and didn't remember a lot it seems (the vhs was very dark I seem to remember).
The fact that it's looking very good on the new CR disc means there's a lot more to enjoy.

As it's a moody and slow film I would recommend going in open minded and not expecting too much.

I loved a lot of the moody cinematography btw and the story unfolding is certainly not what you would typically expect from this kind of film.
Watched it twice actually and liked it even better the second time.

A weird,moody and unusual "slasher" without many of the typical slasher trappings.

Footnote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendigo

Last edited by bdc; 30th April 2012 at 11:01 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!