Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

gag 28th August 2020 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 634074)
Planet Of The Apes. 1968.

A astronaut crew slip through a time barrier and crash land on a planet in the future where apes are the leaders and the humans are enslaved.

Both this film and 2001: A Space Odyssey seem to be the year box office films were released and held a audience in captivation, 52 years later and both films have still captivating this generation of film goers with special effects from the start and make up process.

Charlton Heston plays Taylor a survivor of the crew and leader who is treated like a prisoner and test subject to Zira (Kim Hunter) until she realises he can communicate and Cornelius (Roddy McDowell) has his doubts but is slowly warming up to Taylor, Dr. Zaius (Maurice Evans) believes man to be a threat and is seen as a bully but is afraid as well.

The first time i saw this i was amazed by the great acting involved with the actors portraying the apes on how they walked and acted like apes and the make up by John Chambers who was the creative designer and brilliant cinematography Leon Shamroy and excellent background score by Jerry Goldsmith.

Attachment 227283

I love the tv series, always remember watching it, well kinda my parents had it on and I was only a child but sat there watching it with them, It’s become a cult tv show in its own rights, it was something completely different than anything thats been done before.

MrBarlow 28th August 2020 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 634076)
I love the tv series, always remember watching it, well kinda my parents had it on and I was only a child but sat there watching it with them, It’s become a cult tv show in its own rights, it was something completely different than anything thats been done before.

Never seen the tv series, is it worth a watch?

gag 28th August 2020 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 634077)
Never seen the tv series, is it worth a watch?

100% absolutely I rewatched it about 10yrs ago r so, there 5 films from the original franchise, Then all the modern remakes, if you like the films you’ll love the series.

MrBarlow 29th August 2020 12:04 AM

:thankingyou: gag, will have a look for them

MrBarlow 29th August 2020 12:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Beneath The Planet of the Apes. 1970.

A sole survivor of a interplanetary rescue mission looks for survivors from the first expedition only to uncover a planet ruled by apes and a city underneath ruled by telepathic humans.

This was a decent follow up to the first film, Linda Harrison and Charlton Heston makes a small appearance at the start and towards the end so we can only assume what he went through with the telepathic humans. Kim Hunter also returns as the sympathetic Zira and David Watson as Cornelius. This part follows Brent (James Francisus) who somehow landed at the near exact same time as Taylor only to discover intelligent apes.

Even though this may seem to drag on for a little bit, it does get interesting on how subterranean humans seem to be at war with the apes and seeking help to over rule them and looking for a way to kill them and reclaim the planet for humans. Only thing i found creepy about this film was the humans when they were chanting to their god with their natural scarred faces.

Attachment 227285

gag 29th August 2020 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 634081)
:thankingyou: gag, will have a look for them

Cex has boxsets of all 8 films for just £6 and tv series for £8.

MrBarlow 29th August 2020 03:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Escape from Planet of the Apes. 1971.

After a U.S. Spacecraft lands and three talking chimpanzees crawl out they are strangers then treated as celebrities until one man believes them to be a threat.

The film is set in 1973, as the apes have crossed over the same whirl pool as Taylor and Brent, except they have gone back in time. Roddy McDowell and Kim Hunter reprise their roles as Cornelius and Zira, who prove to be more intelligent than man and seem to have a laugh with the tests they are put through and in front of a panel. With the destruction of their planet and Zira being pregnant a member of the President's office deems them to be dangerous. Right from the start we are warmed up to them and then feel some sympathy for the couple as they attempt to live with humans. Charlton Heston once said that they should be no sequels as Planet of the apes is a film on it's own which he is right as the first being a true classic but the sequels make the film series enjoyable to watch. Sal Mineo and Ricardo Montalban make some nice small role appearances.

Attachment 227287

MrBarlow 29th August 2020 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. 1972. (Extended Cut)

After a disease has wiped out cats and dogs in 1983, monkeys and apes are trained to be domesticated. in 1991, circus owner Armando arrives with a ape to distribute fliers for his circus, when they see apes being treated badly the monkey speaks, Armando sticks up for the ape who is told to hide amongst his kind. He is then sold at auction and decides to form a rebellion against mankind, alas Caesar has voice and lead his people to freedom.

Taking place some years after the previous film, Roddy Mcdowell takes lead stage again as Cornelius and Zira's son Caesar who survived with Amramndo played Ricardo Montalban who has a longer role in this film. Hari Rhodes plays MacDonald who is chief aid to Gov. Breck ( Don Murray) and finds Caesar can talk and tries to help him .

With the extended version there is more violence that was taken out and the ending changed due to negativity from test audiences, it was good to see the original intended ending with the apes stacking up bodies and all we can do is sit back and cheer, apes can be more intelligent than man and never be taken for granted,

Attachment 227288

Nostalgic 29th August 2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 634074)
Planet Of The Apes. 1968.

A astronaut crew slip through a time barrier and crash land on a planet in the future where apes are the leaders and the humans are enslaved.

Both this film and 2001: A Space Odyssey seem to be the year box office films were released and held a audience in captivation, 52 years later and both films have still captivating this generation of film goers with special effects from the start and make up process.

Charlton Heston plays Taylor a survivor of the crew and leader who is treated like a prisoner and test subject to Zira (Kim Hunter) until she realises he can communicate and Cornelius (Roddy McDowell) has his doubts but is slowly warming up to Taylor, Dr. Zaius (Maurice Evans) believes man to be a threat and is seen as a bully but is afraid as well.

The first time i saw this i was amazed by the great acting involved with the actors portraying the apes on how they walked and acted like apes and the make up by John Chambers who was the creative designer and brilliant cinematography Leon Shamroy and excellent background score by Jerry Goldsmith.

Attachment 227283

Amazing film.

I'm not a sci fi person but this is endlessly watchable, clever & thought provoking.

Never been bettered.

I have just watched The Old Dark House (eureka) THREE TIMES in two nights.
Love this movie, and I have loads lined up to follow it....
Invisible Man, Frankenstein & Bride of (Whale), Dead of Night, The Innocents, The Uninvited (criterion), Cat & the Canary.

Can anybody reccomend a good list of "old dark house" movies, either humerous or serious, the kind I could get from an ebay seller *cough*

Muchly appreciated...

MrBarlow 29th August 2020 07:01 PM

Depends how far you go and if you like the classics check out YouTube 1940s horror movies, source of some old forgotten films that still keep me quiet.

gag 29th August 2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 634131)
Depends how far you go and if you like the classics check out YouTube 1940s horror movies, source of some old forgotten films that still keep me quiet.

Depending on what you want I just type in eg 60s horror Or 80s films and then you get over 500 films you can watch.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th August 2020 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 634129)
Invisible Man, Frankenstein & Bride of (Whale), Dead of Night, The Innocents, The Uninvited (criterion), Cat & the Canary.

Can anybody reccomend a good list of "old dark house" movies, either humerous or serious, the kind I could get from an ebay seller *cough*

Muchly appreciated...

Let me get back to you in a couple hours. I'll give you a list of old dark house movies i recommend not some random IMDB f*cking list.

Rob4 29th August 2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Amazing film.

I'm not a sci fi person but this is endlessly watchable, clever & thought provoking.

Never been bettered.

Muchly appreciated...

You have great taste Nos. ODH is endlessly rewatchable now... 'have a potato' :lol:

gag 29th August 2020 09:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Amazing film.

Never been bettered.

Muchly appreciated...

Does this help

https://www.forcesofgeek.com/2014/01...mysteries.html

MrBarlow 29th August 2020 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 634145)

It's helped me that i need to re-watch them gag cheers

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th August 2020 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 634145)

Oh there's that random list. Anyone can do that. Tell us your recommendations from the list gag.

gag 29th August 2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 634149)
Oh there's that random list. Anyone can do that. Tell us your recommendations from the list gag.

I’ll have to have a look and see what I’ve seen, just trying to help by giving some ideas.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th August 2020 10:09 PM

@Nostalgic

I rather enjoy a good old dark house movie here are one or two that i recommend.

If you want to pick up a couple of British ones i really like The Night Has Eyes - about a couple of teachers who end up staying at James Mason's creepy old place on the Yorkshire moors.

Then there's The Door With Seven Locks from 1940 starring the menacing Leslie Banks from The Most Dangerous Game in a crusty old mansion replete with tombs, cob webbed corridors, Iron Maidens and murder.

Then there's The Terror. Part crime mystery that quickly becomes a secret crypt and ghostly figures old dark house movie.

All three are available from Network for i would guess under a fiver each.

Have you seen The Spiral Staircase? A masterpiece by Robert Siodmak which beautifully blends Gothic horror and Film Noir.

1934's The Black Cat is an old dark house horror with a difference. The difference being that the house is a gorgeous modern affair, however the film is grim as hell, in fact brutal for the time and boasts great performances from Lugosi and Karloff.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th August 2020 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 634150)
I’ll have to have a look and see what I’ve seen, just trying to help by giving some ideas.

Nostalgic asked for recommendations from members of this forum. He could have found a list himself.

Speak from your own knowledge of movies. I try to.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th August 2020 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ouija House (2018)

An overlong movie even at 95 minutes which wastes a reasonable cast in small roles (Mischa Barton, Dee Wallace, Tara Reid, Chris Mulkey, Tiffany Shepis) but it's central premise is quite interesting.

Given a larger budget with the name actors in the leading roles and some script tightening then this would have had potential. As it is i still preferred it to movies like The Gallows and it's even worse sequel.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th August 2020 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Leave Her to Heaven (1945)

A very enjoyable drama in which the stunning Gene Tierney wants to possess new hubby Cornel Wilde all to herself.

Quite a slow burn affair but one with gorgeous scenery and idyllic locations that takes it's time for it's drama to unfold but when it does it becomes unmissable and sadistic viewing with a terrific courtroom finale where Vincent Price's lawyer lets rip at Wilde and lovely Jeanne Crain with breath taking ferocity.

Demoncrat 30th August 2020 09:45 AM

Dr Jekyll's Dungeon Of Death (1979)

Haven't fallen asleep during a film since The Colour Of Money at the pictures, but this made the grade :laugh::pound::lol:

AVOID.

MuckyFunster 30th August 2020 10:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 227299

Watched “Drive” last night.

Ryan Gosling’s character was like an introvert who was a really great driver, but outside of the car he was pretty silent and just kind of stared at folk. The driving scenes were exciting, but there weren’t a lot of them. I’d been hoping for a car chase film, something like Vanishing Point or Blues Brothers. Away from the driving scenes the film felt kind of formulaic.

I enjoyed it but I don’t think Mrs. Funster was as keen. She commented that she thinks Ryan Gosling would be a bit like that in real life!

7/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob4 30th August 2020 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 634151)
@Nostalgic

I rather enjoy a good old dark house movie here are one or two that i recommend.

If you want to pick up a couple of British ones i really like The Night Has Eyes - about a couple of teachers who end up staying at James Mason's creepy old place on the Yorkshire moors.

Then there's The Door With Seven Locks from 1940 starring the menacing Leslie Banks from The Most Dangerous Game in a crusty old mansion replete with tombs, cob webbed corridors, Iron Maidens and murder.

Then there's The Terror. Part crime mystery that quickly becomes a secret crypt and ghostly figures old dark house movie.

All three are available from Network for i would guess under a fiver each.

Have you seen The Spiral Staircase? A masterpiece by Robert Siodmak which beautifully blends Gothic horror and Film Noir.

1934's The Black Cat is an old dark house horror with a difference. The difference being that the house is a gorgeous modern affair, however the film is grim as hell, in fact brutal for the time and boasts great performances from Lugosi and Karloff.

Good choices Dem

The Door with Seven Locks is available from Kino as Chamber of Horrors.

A few I've seen from the 30s and 40s that are worth checking out:

The Bat Whispers
Murder by the Clock
The Phantom of Crestwood
The Ghoul
The Cat and the Canary
(Bob Hope)
The Ghost Breakers (Bob Hope)
Horror Island
The Night Monster
Arsenic and Old Lace
The House of Fear
(Basil Rathbone, Sherlock Holmes)
And Then There Were None
Dragonwyck

I think Hitchcock's Rebecca fits quite well in the old dark house category as well.

There were literally dozens of these type movies, both serious and comedies, made in the 30s and 40s and to be honest I've hardly scratched the surface in catching up with them mainly due to availability. The general category of old dark house also fits under many horror sub-categories: hauntings; fake hauntings; murder mystery; masked phantoms; monster on the loose; psychological thriller, etc.

J Harker 30th August 2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 634166)
Good choices Dem

The House of Fear[/B] (Basil Rathbone, Sherlock Holmes)

Sherlock Holmes Faces Death is another good installment that fits comfortably into the Old Dark House catagory too. An old convalescent house that seems to be perpetually battered by howling winds is the scene of a series of murders connected to a mysterious old ritual. Good film.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th August 2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Good choices Dem

The Bat Whispers
Murder by the Clock
The Phantom of Crestwood
The Ghoul
The Cat and the Canary
(Bob Hope)
Horror Island
The Night Monster
Arsenic and Old Lace
The House of Fear
And Then There Were None
Dragonwyck

I think Hitchcock's Rebecca fits quite well in the old dark house category as well.

There were literally dozens of these type movies, both serious and comedies, made in the 30s and 40s and to be honest I've hardly scratched the surface in catching up with them mainly due to availability. The general category of old dark house also fits under many horror sub-categories: hauntings; fake hauntings; murder mystery; masked phantoms; monster on the loose; psychological thriller, etc.

The comedies do nothing for me sadly, as far as being old dark house movies anyway. I can't deny i love Arsenic and Old Lace but wouldn't recommend it to someone who wanted to watch an old dark house horror film.

I've never rated Bob Hope's comedy either.

Dragonwyck, an interesting choice. Seen it twice this year and there are certainly some sequences of brilliant Gothic horror especially the shot from outside looking in on Price. However for someone just getting into the genre it's quite a mellow dramatic film for the most part and has little in the way of chills until the last few minutes.

Rob4 30th August 2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 634168)

Dragonwyck, an interesting choice. Seen it twice this year and there are certainly some sequences of brilliant Gothic horror especially the shot from outside looking in on Price. However for someone just getting into the genre it's quite a mellow dramatic film for the most part and has little in the way of chills until the last few minutes.

Yes mainly melodrama, but as you say some fine gothic touches. And of course there's VP in all his mad glory.

Interestingly I had a debate with someone online who insisted it wasn't remotely horror, but for the life of me I can't find anywhere in the film where there is an explanation for the ghost?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th August 2020 02:27 PM

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002) ★★★★

Sam Rockwell is one of those actors who seems to improve every film in which he appears so it's a treat when he is the lead. In this, George Clooney's directorial debut, he plays Chuck Barris, a game show host and producer, who I hadn't heard of prior to watching the film.

Clooney teams up with people with whom he worked as an actor: editor Stephen Mirrione (Ocean's Eleven) and cinematographer Newton Thomas Sigel (Three Kings) and the result is a film which – even on DVD – looks brilliant. The bright sets of The Gong Show and The Dating Game contrast starkly with Barris's CIA missions in Helsinki and East Berlin.

The supporting cast is excellent, from Drew Barrymore to Julia Roberts, Rutger Hauer to Clooney himself and even Michael Cera as a young Chuck Barris are very well cast (there are fun cameos from Brad Pit and Matt Damon who have nonspeaking roles as contestants on The Dating Game). That said, this is Rockwell's movie and he rightly (and predictably) shines in a film which is part absurdist fantasy and part thriller.

Clooney handles the subject material extremely well; the film is as much a character study as a Cold War thriller and yet the tonal changes never feel clunky or unnecessary. It's an excellent film which I last saw probably around 2005 and bought the DVD very cheaply to see if my memories of the film were accurate. It was as good as I remember and I'll probably upgrade to the Blu-ray release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EkARnq7XRE

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th August 2020 02:32 PM

Arthur Christmas (2011) ★★★★

It's been several years since I saw this last, and this was my second viewing. It might seem a strange film to watch in August, but I have a system of buying films and adding them to a queue and watching the ones I have owned the longest and this was at the front of the queue.

The story is fairly simple, and completely charming, and it's directed with tangible energy and excitement. The voice acting from the entire cast, from James McAvoy to Jim Broadbent, Hugh Laurie to Jane Horrocks, Imelda Staunton to Bill Nighy is perfect for each character and imbues the action with humour, humanity, and a necessary amount of danger.

I'll probably watch this again in a few months time as part of the run-up to Christmas and can see it becoming regular festive viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxcz1XIKUmo

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th August 2020 02:38 PM

Krull (1983) ★★★

If you took Flash Gordon, added most of Hawk the Slayer, added a dash of Star Wars and then removed most of the fun and excitement, you'd end up with Krull.

Like Flash Gordon and Hawk the Slayer, it's a bit of a narrative mess, a film that only just hangs together without becoming unbearably dull. Some of it is incredibly well-designed, it's shot with skill, and it's quite funny to see Liam Neeson and Robbie Coltrane looking reasonably young and freshfaced!

Krull is the sort of film you could watch while doing the ironing – you don't have to give it your full attention and it ultimately doesn't matter if you miss five minutes here and there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZpUVFe-4ok

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th August 2020 02:40 PM

Da 5 Bloods (2020) ★★★★½

I had been intending to watch this since it was first put on Netflix so I'm feeling somewhat guilty that it took a shock of yesterday's sad news about Chadwick Boseman to make it my Friday night viewing.

Unsurprisingly, Spike Lee's politics are front and centre – it's a film deeply rooted in the Black Lives Matter movement, Trump's presidency and the upcoming presidential election, so I was surprised when I discovered the script was originally written in 2013 and had been more recently developed.

Of the cast, I've loved watching Delroy Lindo since I first saw Mulholland Drive many years ago and casting two mainstays from The Wire (Clarke Peters and Isiah Whitlock Jr.). With Chadwick Boseman playing 'Stormin' Norman', the squad leader who the other 'Bloods' go back to find, the scenes involving Norman's death and grave now have an added poignancy and are even more emotive than they would have been last week.

Da 5 Bloods looks fantastic thanks to great locations and superb cinematography by Newton Thomas Sigel. The score, by long-time Spike Lee collaborator Terence Blanchard is a stunning composition which should earn him many industry nominations and awards.

Making a film about the Vietnam War Is tricky because directors often play the 'America as victim' card or fall into the racist trap of making every Vietnamese person appear suspicious and dangerous. By explaining how the conflict turned family members against each other and it's a lot more nuanced than the typical Manichean narrative. With the storyline incorporating the past and present, Lee has created something both cathartic and hopeful.

This is a phenomenally impressive film by Spike Lee, possibly even more impactful than 2018's BlacKkKlansman and, like that, I can't think of another director who could have made this film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5RDTPfsLAI

Nostalgic 30th August 2020 04:39 PM

Quote:

Good choices Dem

The Bat Whispers
Murder by the Clock
The Phantom of Crestwood
The Ghoul
The Cat and the Canary
(Bob Hope)
Horror Island
The Night Monster
Arsenic and Old Lace
The House of Fear
And Then There Were None
Dragonwyck

Thank you all! :thankingyou:

I've now an even bigger list to findm, as if my "to watch" pile wasn't big enough already, lol!

Currently into lots of different stuff including

Godzilla/Gamera/Japanese monster movies
Old Dark House movies
Screwball comedies (30's-50's)
Giallo movies
Classic 80's horror
Japanese horror (The Ring etc),

So yeah, sorted for viewing for probably a year!

Quick question, does anyone else find themselves watching more old films than new?

There are more films being produced than ever before & yet I hardly find any I love now.

Love and good wishes to all!

Rob4 30th August 2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 634177)

Quick question, does anyone else find themselves watching more old films than new?

There are more films being produced than ever before & yet I hardly find any I love now.

I'd say about 70% of what I view is pre-1990 film or television.

Most new stuff I view are usually cinema with either my wife or son which would be things like arthouse/oscar bait with my wife or the latest blockbuster with my son (must get out to see Tenet). Otherwise all my modern viewing are streamed boxsets e,g, Umbrella Academy or BBC drama e.g. Line of Duty which we can all watch together.

gag 30th August 2020 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 634177)

I've now an even bigger list to findm, as if my "to watch" pile wasn't big enough already, lol!

Currently into lots of different stuff including

Godzilla/Gamera/Japanese monster movies
Old Dark House movies
Screwball comedies (30's-50's)
Giallo movies
Classic 80's horror
Japanese horror (The Ring etc),

So yeah, sorted for viewing for probably a year!

I’m always watching older movies over today’s especially before 2000.
So answer to your Q? Is yes I do and I agree about amount of films there is these days but hardly out that wow’s you any more, just ok.

J Harker 30th August 2020 06:11 PM

Personally i watch more older films than new because I'm still catching up. There's dozens and dozens of old films that are still 'new' to me.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Demoncrat 30th August 2020 06:47 PM

Whilst there are some decent directors producing new films (Eggers, Strickland, Cosmatos etc ) the majority of what I watch is from last century. If only to gawk at Hypocritewood's gall. See Carbon Copy or Soul Man ahem.

MrBarlow 30th August 2020 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Battle for Planet of the apes. 1973.

Ten years after the ape revolution and a nuclear war, Caesar has lived with his primates in peace but when a barrier is crossed he has to protect everyone including humans from a human cult and try to restore balance within after his son is killed.

This was the first time i have seen this instalment of the franchise and to be honest it was good, not the best, John Huston gives a nice piece of intro as The Lawgiver who provides the intro on the discs. Roddy McDowell returns as Caesar who has restored balance with humans in their land but curiosity gives in when he, Macdonald and another ape go to the city to view archive footage of his parents unad upset the balance of peace. Claude Atkins plays Aldo who believes he should be leader. Lew Ayers plays Mandemus, keeper of the weapons.

Even though this was the last of the films and we see humans and apes living together and peace and a statue of Caesar erected but it was left open as we don't see how they seem to fall out and humans becoming slaves and prisoners is never told.

Attachment 227305

iank 30th August 2020 09:04 PM

Alice, Sweet Alice. Alice is a troubled and difficult 12 year old girl, jealous of her prettier younger sister and resentful of her judgmental, overbearing aunt. So when her sister is murdered and her aunt attacked by a masked figure wielding a knife, Alice soon becomes prime suspect. But is it really Alice's face behind the killer's mask? This mid 70s horror thriller, clearly influenced by the Italian "giallo" horror genre, was actually a pretty effective mystery chiller. You know all bets are off and a film means business when an innocent little girl (Brooke Shields in her film debut) is the first to get offed, and this unpredictability extends through the rest of the film. The killer reveal, for instance, comes not in the climax but about 25 minutes earlier, allowing for the suspense of wondering when and how they'll get caught, and the tension of an innocent character being in their presence and oblivious to the danger they're in. This was a pretty solid flick, actually, I rather enjoyed it. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th August 2020 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Fanatic (2019)

A bit of a well worn story about a geeky cult movie fan who is fobbed off by his action hero idol whose fan worship quickly escalates from obsession to violence.

The story itself is quite enjoyable if not remarkable. Devon Sawa is decent as cult action hero Hunter Dunbar, there's some good Hollywood photography and director Fred Durst (Yes that one) keeps things ticking over nicely whilst quietly ramping up the suspense. I should also add that it's incredibly funny but not always for the right reasons.

However it's John Travolta that kept me wrapped in this movie. He's unrecognizable in both looks and mannerisms, i found his performance quite astonishing to be honest. If they ever do a live action Simpsons movie and want someone to play 'Comic Book Guy' then Travolta is your man.

MrBarlow 30th August 2020 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Planet of the apes. 2001.

A astronaut lands on a planet after going after a chimp that went through a time gap during a electrical lightning storm in space and lands on a planet run by apes.

Aside from having a good star cast and Tm Burton at the helm this should have been a good film, but with 20th Centuary Fox creating so many difficult tasks and not letting the director have creative power...no wonder this film sucks, I have no idea how I managed to sit through this film again. Does 20th Centuary fox not give a dam, they done it with Alien 3 taking control, looked daft and it's now become a favourite amongst other sci-fi fans but this ain't going to be a classic. Did they give Tim Roth a coffee and sugar fix as he didn't like to be stood on the ground alot.

Attachment 227310