Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 10th October 2020 04:35 PM

Better laterish than never in my book, enjoy, Curse is an odd wee thing, Great double bill with Invasion :nod:;)

nicholasrope 10th October 2020 09:58 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Incredible Burt Wonderstone

Steve Carrell plays an ego-centric magician who looses everything but makes a comeback along with his partner Steve Buscemi and Assistant Olivia Wilde. Jim Carrey also stars as a completely insane rival. One of those 15 rated Comedy Movies that Warner brothers have been releasing, it is also one that is overlooked and under-rated. It is rather enjoyable.

Beethoven

Classic Family Film in which a rather large St. Bernard is taken in by a grumpy/reluctant Charles Grodin and his family. Dean Jones plays an evil Vet who has a sideline in Animal Experiments. This film also has before they were famous roles for David Duchovny, Stanley Tucci and Oliver Platt

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Jim Carrey plays the title role who has to find the Mascot of the Miami Dolphins which has been stolen. Courtney Cox co-stars. I bought this in the January Sales back in 1996 (I think) for 6.99 (Which was a bargain back then) and I loved it, whilst still good in places, I found Ventura to be a rather annoying juvenile character.

Love Actually

Modern Classic Xmas Film which follows several storylines on the run up to Xmas in London. Saw this film many times at the Cinema, it's still great but didn't really need the Martin Freeman or Keira Knightly storylines.

Beethoven's 2nd

Beethoven finds a mate and ends up fathering Puppies. The owner of the mother of the Puppies wants to sell them but Charles Grodin's family ends up looking after them. I found this to be better than the 1st film, unfortunately this series fell into Straight To Video/DVD Hell after this.

Bloodsport

One of my earliest VHS purchases and one of my favorite films of all time sees Jean Claude-Van Damme enter a Martial Arts Tournament. Great film, great fight scenes and a under-rated soundtrack. It also has the bonus of Oscar Winning Actor Forest Whitiker in it.

This needs a Blu-Ray release with tons of extras, hopefully 88 or Arrow do it but knowing my luck, it'll be part of the HMV Premium Collection where it'll only have the trailer and poster.

Crank 2: High Voltage

Jason Statham returns and this time his Heart is stolen and replaced by a mechanical one that needs to be constantly charged. A rather crazy film which is still a decent watch.

Nostalgic 11th October 2020 01:20 PM

The Beyond (Shameless blu)

The late, great (and I must emphasise GREAT) Lucio's masterpiece, dreamlike, terrifying & full of pace and action.
Strange comparison but it's like his Suspiria.

Watched the Shameless disc, really don't like the artwork & the disc was upside down (ie: playable side facing up) when I opened it! The print is ok & the extras (commentaries etc) good, but just makes me want to watch the film over & over.

The Citizen Kane of Italian Horror Cinema!

10/10

MrBarlow 11th October 2020 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ernest Scared Stupid. 1991.

Ernest P. Worrell's descendants buried a hideous troll under a tree in the town of Briarville, years later Ernest accidentally releases the troll and has to find a way to destroy it.

I will admit, the Ernest movies will never be academy award winning movies, as they seem daft, stupid but then they appeal to my sense of humour, Jim Varney stars as the sanitation worker Ernest who unleashes a terror and with the help of the local kids and hermit lady played by Eartha Kitt tries to put a stop to it. The costumes designs for the trolls look daft but look at the title they are guaranteed to make you laugh.

Attachment 228401

gag 15th October 2020 05:13 PM

Tbh I’ve only seen about 2 films in over a month at the moment, just been busy and playing gone days and some missions are pissing me off cos I’m struggling to do them :lol:, and fact it’s a foooking huge game as well, I’ve played around 20 plus and still not even half way through .

nosferatu42 15th October 2020 07:31 PM

I've given up on quite a few games because they are too long these days, yeah you get you're moneys worth if you're hardcore, but i've got the attention span of a Gnat.

Still haven't finished the first Red dead redemption even though i was enjoying the game, pretty sure it kept telling you you had to find some guy and do something.

I remember doing that and it turned around and said now do this and i was like **** this shit, i didn't sign up for that.:lol:

Also never finished Mass effect 2.

Lately i've played Conan and No man's sky and got to a point where i'm a good way in and just bailed out through a mix of fatigue and existential tedium.

gag 15th October 2020 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 637797)
I've given up on quite a few games because they are too long these days, yeah you get you're moneys worth if you're hardcore, but i've got the attention span of a Gnat.

Still haven't finished the first Red dead redemption even though i was enjoying the game, pretty sure it kept telling you you had to find some guy and do something.

I remember doing that and it turned around and said now do this and i was like **** this shit, i didn't sign up for that.:lol:

Also never finished Mass effect 2.

Lately i've played Conan and No man's sky and got to a point where i'm a good way in and just bailed out through a mix of fatigue and existential tedium.

They could shorten it and still be a long game, just a lot of it more or less exactly the same just different part of the map.
Go here and do so and so
Then come back and go so and so and do exactly same thing, but repetitive at times but still otherwise a good and decent game.

Demoncrat 15th October 2020 09:24 PM

Cyborg Cop 2 (1994, Sam Firstenberg)

David Bradleys his way through this mayhem fest the best he can. A sworn foe is let loose with bits added on, as is the way of this world haha, so it's up to Jack Ryan (COUGH) to defeat his nemesis with whatever comes to hand.
Glorious and camp and violent all at the same time, I cannot wait for the 3rd to come into my orbit (fingers crossed it's set in space :laugh:)

RECOMMENDED.

Graveyard 15th October 2020 09:36 PM

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...%2C215_AL_.jpg

Imagine The Thing with a global warming message and you have Thaw, nice low budget movie, probably spend all the money to hire Val Kilmer to have 5 minutes on the screen. Nice gore & effects. Recommend.

P.S. My other half is making me watch the Twilight Saga, but I got a sweet deal, after this she needs to watch the complete franchise of the Friday 13th :lol:

MrBarlow 15th October 2020 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graveyard (Post 637805)

Imagine The Thing with a global warming message and you have Thaw, nice low budget movie, probably spend all the money to hire Val Kilmer to have 5 minutes on the screen. Nice gore & effects. Recommend.

P.S. My other half is making me watch the Twilight Saga, but I got a sweet deal, after this she needs to watch the complete franchise of the Friday 13th :lol:

you can't grumble at that sweet deal :lol:

Nostalgic 15th October 2020 10:46 PM

Just watched The Lineup (Don Seigel) in anticipation of the Indicator set, WOW!!!! Solid noir concerning a drug trafficing ring, fast paced & tense!

8/10

Susan Foreman 16th October 2020 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 637790)
Tbh I’ve only seen about 2 films in over a month at the moment, just been busy and playing gone days and some missions are pissing me off cos I’m struggling to do them :lol:, and fact it’s a foooking huge game as well, I’ve played around 20 plus and still not even half way through .

Yer a married man fer Goddess sake

What the heck are you doing playing computer games?

gag 16th October 2020 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 637820)
Yer a married man fer Goddess sake

What the heck are you doing playing computer games?

she has illnesses and alsorts wrong with her that’s why I’m her carer,
She got a pacemaker due to a dodgy heart,
Blood deficiency, B12 or folate deficiency anaemia,
Passes out,
Fibromyalgia,
Has panic attacks,
Got depression,
Sometimes struggles to get her breath,
Thyroid problems,
Headaches,
she got problems with her arms and struggles sometimes to do the most simplest tasks without being in pain, she going for a X-ray in a few week about that to try and see what the real issue is with them.

She on lots of different tablets.

So she gets tired easy and full of aches and pains And headaches so goes for a lie down in bed in the afternoon, I’ll play it then , and at night when she goes to sleep if I’m still awake and can’t sleep I’ll stick it on then as well.

MrBarlow 16th October 2020 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 637822)
she has illnesses and alsorts wrong with her that’s why I’m her carer,
She got a pacemaker due to a dodgy heart,
Blood deficiency, B12 or folate deficiency anaemia,
Passes out,
Fibromyalgia,
Has panic attacks,
Got depression,
Sometimes struggles to get her breath,
Thyroid problems,
Headaches,
she got problems with her arms and struggles sometimes to do the most simplest tasks without being in pain, she going for a X-ray in a few week about that to try and see what the real issue is with them.

She on lots of different tablets.

So she gets tired easy and full of aches and pains And headaches so goes for a lie down in bed in the afternoon, I’ll play it then , and at night when she goes to sleep if I’m still awake and can’t sleep I’ll stick it on then as well.

And that's why you are guaranteed a good spot in heaven gag,

Dave Boy 16th October 2020 07:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 228588
IVANHOE (1952)

Excellent. I have loved this movie since I first saw it when I was a kid. I think the movie is responsible for my love of medieval Knights and jousting.
Ivanhoe tracks down King Richard who is held prisoner in Austria after the Third Crusade. Prince John refuses to pay the ransom for his brother so Ivanhoe enters a jousting contest against the Norman Knights to gain support and raise the ransom money..
Colourful, romantic and great action as Ivanhoe is helped by Robin Of Locksley and his men to storm a castle and rescue the maidens held captive by The Normans. :cool:

Attachment 228599 Attachment 228600

MrBarlow 16th October 2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 637894)
Attachment 228588
IVANHOE (1952)

Excellent. I have loved this movie since I first saw it when I was a kid. I think the movie is responsible for my love of medieval Knights and jousting.
Ivanhoe tracks down King Richard who is held prisoner in Austria after the Third Crusade. Prince John refuses to pay the ransom for his brother so Ivanhoe enters a jousting contest against the Norman Knights to gain support and raise the ransom money..
Colourful, romantic and great action as Ivanhoe is helped by Robin Of Locksley and his men to storm a castle and rescue the maidens held captive by The Normans. :cool:

Attachment 228599 Attachment 228600

A film I have never seen but been very drawn to it, but your comments has it sold to me

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th October 2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 637823)
And that's why you are guaranteed a good spot in heaven gag,

You're kidding right?

She was fine until she met gag. :behindsofa:

:broomstick:

gag 16th October 2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 637898)
You're kidding right?

She was fine until she met gag. :behindsofa:

:broomstick:

Cheers, how rude :lol: sadly she had pacemaker since 4 yr old and most these problems before she met me that’s why I gave up my job and become her carer, I’ve only known her 3 and half Yrs.

Graveyard 16th October 2020 09:44 PM

I'm sure everyone already watched this documentary, so that's it. For fans & not fans from Nightmare.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th October 2020 12:36 PM

Ghostbusters (1984) ★★★★★

When the advertising began for Ghostbusters, I was too young to notice and it wasn’t until it was screened on television that I saw, and loved, the film. The marketing campaign was genius, starting first with posters just of the “No Ghosts” logo and then the picture with “They’re coming” as the accompanying caption. When it was released in 1984 it, and the theme song by Ray Parker Jr., became a phenomenon and, since then, has established itself as a firm fan favourite gathering new followers every generation.

Written by, directed and starring men behind Second City, Saturday Night Live, Caddyshack, National Lampoon’s Animal House and Meatballs (to name but a few), this was almost guaranteed comic genius. It began as an idea of Dan Aykroyd’s as his family were strong believers in the supernatural and he read an article on quantum physics and spirits, thinking it would make an interesting premise for a film. Teaming up with friends Ivan Reitman and Harold Ramis, they devised a film where hunting ghosts was something normal, like firefighting, but then changed it to a business development story.

The film begins with the three members of the parapsychology department at Columbia University being dismissed because their work is weird and fails to gain results. Two of the doctors, Ray Stantz and Egon Spengler are convinced by the garrulous Peter Venkman to go into business as professional Ghost Busters – even talking Stantz into taking out a third mortgage on his house (at horrendous rates) to finance the operation.

When Dana Barrett is unpacking and the eggs on the counter jump from the shelves and begin cooking on the worktop, she is a little freaked, but this is compounded when she looks in the refrigerator and sees a different universe where a voice yells ‘Zuul’ at her. Sceptical, but frightened, she calls the Ghost Busters after seeing their amateurish commercial on TV and they begin investigating. They also start taking calls from all over New York City, trapping ghosts and earning more money than they ever expected.

Their investigations into Zuul prove that there is something big afoot in the Big Apple that only they can handle but the authorities are tough to persuade and their efforts are hampered by über-bureaucrat Walter Peck.

Though the casting was almost done by default, with Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd filling two of the main roles, the addition of Bill Murray to the trio was an inspired decision – the three represent different parts of the team, with Ramis’ nerdy Spengler as the brains, Aykroyd’s naïve Stantz as the heart and Murray’s cynical and sarcastic Venkman as the mouth. It is in this sort of role that Murray excels, though his over the top silliness in Caddyshack is wonderfully memorable. When he is spouting facetious one liners with a straight face that would do Buster Keaton proud, he is a joy to watch and it is Murray that steals the show but, without the other two, his performance wouldn’t be half as memorable – they provide the straight men. In the other smaller but important parts, Sigourney Weaver is marvellous and as far removed from Ripley as she could probably get; Rick Moranis plays her geeky neighbour in a role that was written for John Candy but Moranis is so brilliant that it’s impossible to imagine Candy in that role. In smaller parts, Annie Potts and Ernie Hudson provide great support to the bigger names, especially Hudson, whose Zeddmore (the fourth Ghost Buster) is the audience’s way into the jargon as things have to be explained to him and, vicariously, to us.

I’ve been a fan of Ghostbusters since I first saw it and remember reading one of the comic books based on the animated TV series – the theme song was a staple at school discos throughout the 1980s (and apparently still is).

Ghostbusters is a great movie, an endearing classic that will live on as every schoolchild sees it and falls in love with it. The writing is smart so there is plenty for kids to enjoy and lines that go over their heads so they might wonder what the adults are laughing at.

Demoncrat 17th October 2020 05:53 PM

Born To Fight (2004, Panna Rittikrai)

From the director of Ong Baks 2 and 3 comes this high octane action fest (not arf!). Why isn't this better known? It's bonkers. An ex cop and his athlete sister go out to the countryside on a PR stunt. Sadly nasty types are floating around.
Some mental stunts ensue ... the odd explosion ... etc.
Recommended!!!! :nod:

MrBarlow 17th October 2020 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I Saw The Devil. 2010.

When a sadistic killer kills the daughter of the chief of police, her fiancee a trained secret agent goes on a hunt for the killer, can a man become a monster to stop a monster?

American and British gave us decent revenge films like Death Wish and Harry Brown, along came the Japanese and basically said "what you can do we can do better". This is my first time seeing this and certainly won't be the last, Byung-hun Lee plays the heartbroken Soo-hyeon set on a path of self destruction against crazed killer Jang played brilliantly by Min-sik Choi who plays a cat and mouse game. The acting, directing and cinematography is done brilliantly well and the fight choreography is done amazingly, just when you thought Soo catches the guy they start playing their game again. Well worth a watch.

Attachment 228649

Linbro 18th October 2020 09:33 AM

'High Rise'. No idea how this was received, but I have a feeling it's a love or hate reaction.
Me, I quite liked it. Though, I just happened to be in the right mood for something so...'excessive'. Maybe not the right word to describe it - absurd might be closer to the mark. A bit long, would be one of my only criticisms.
My viewing was interrupted, so watched it in two sittings - not ideal, and I actually fancy a rewatch.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th October 2020 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linbro (Post 637985)
'High Rise'. No idea how this was received, but I have a feeling it's a love or hate reaction.
Me, I quite liked it. Though, I just happened to be in the right mood for something so...'excessive'. Maybe not the right word to describe it - absurd might be closer to the mark. A bit long, would be one of my only criticisms.
My viewing was interrupted, so watched it in two sittings - not ideal, and I actually fancy a rewatch.

I really liked it.

Ben Wheatley attempts the unfilmable (No, not Into the Dalek) and produced something remarkably watchable.

Justin101 18th October 2020 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 637978)
I Saw The Devil. 2010.

When a sadistic killer kills the daughter of the chief of police, her fiancee a trained secret agent goes on a hunt for the killer, can a man become a monster to stop a monster?

American and British gave us decent revenge films like Death Wish and Harry Brown, along came the Japanese and basically said "what you can do we can do better". This is my first time seeing this and certainly won't be the last, Byung-hun Lee plays the heartbroken Soo-hyeon set on a path of self destruction against crazed killer Jang played brilliantly by Min-sik Choi who plays a cat and mouse game. The acting, directing and cinematography is done brilliantly well and the fight choreography is done amazingly, just when you thought Soo catches the guy they start playing their game again. Well worth a watch.

Attachment 228649

If this is the one I think it is, I really want to see it.
The main guy goes after rapist/killer and hunts him down to cause him harm but not kill him multiple times to make him suffer??

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th October 2020 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 638002)
If this is the one I think it is, I really want to see it.
The main guy goes after rapist/killer and hunts him down to cause him harm but not kill him multiple times to make him suffer??

Avoid the UK release. It's heavily cut.

Justin101 18th October 2020 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 638004)
Avoid the UK release. It's heavily cut.

That's shame but thanks for the warning because I almost bought it in HMV a few weeks back and it's been on my radar!

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th October 2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 638005)
That's shame but thanks for the warning because I almost bought it in HMV a few weeks back and it's been on my radar!

Actually this makes interesting reading. I'd always avoided the film because i simply presumed it was cut for violence / sex etc but it seems both versions of the film are worthwhile as the cut version is two minutes longer than the uncut release.

Read on....

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=847718

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th October 2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linbro (Post 637985)

As I haven't read the novel on which it's based, I can treat the film as a stand-alone achievement rather than an adaptation. I think of seen it twice and both times found to be superbly constructed with brilliant performances and is riveting to watch. It's been a long time since I've seen it, so it's overdue a rewatch.

Demoncrat 18th October 2020 09:16 PM

The film is relatively sane compared to the book tbh Nos. :nod:

Relatively. ;)

nicholasrope 18th October 2020 10:09 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Fished out my VHS Player and I went through a phase where I bought a lot of Ex-Rental Videos in order to watch the Adverts for nostalgic purposes, I loved 80's Warners, CBS Fox, RCA Colombia...etc as well as the obscure labels. However I realized that I had some titles that haven't had the DVD/Blu-Ray release and some actually looked good as well, so here's what I've seen so far.

Wisdom

Emilio Estevez is frustrated with his life, so after watching a TV Report highlighting House Repossessions, he decides to hold up Banks in order to destroy records, Demi Moore assists him as they become heroes whilst being chased across the country. Not bad but has a cop out ending. However it has to be one of the softest 18 Rated Videos I can think off.

Peggy Sue Got Married

Kathleen Turner gets an injury whilst at her reunion and ends up going back in time so she can re-do some things in her life. Nicholas Cage has this weird voice (Which I think he used in G-Force) and Jim Carrey in one of his earlier roles. The title and VHS cover always gives me those Video Shop memories and it was an enjoyable film but I get a feeling, I would have enjoyed it more back in the day.

Deadly Friend

Wes Craven Directed film in which a genius teen is able to insert a microchip into his dead friend's brain in order to bring her back to life, but she ends up into a robot/zombie state who gets bloody revenge on the people who wronged her. This film must be in rights hell because I have no idea how a Wes Craven Horror has not seen a re-release, it is a really good enjoyable film.

Summer School

One of my favorite films from the 80's in which Mark Harmon is the easy going P.E. Teacher who is forced into teaching Summer School to rag-tag bunch of misfits.

I WOULD APPRECIATE A UK RE-RELEASE PLEASE

Strike Commando

Vincent Dawn Italian Vietnam film in which Reb Brown is a Commando who attempts to get revenge on the Russian/Vietnam Force who slaughtered the Villagers who saved him. What to make of this one. it's got dodgy acting, corny lines, has plenty of Action, it has one of the worst Fight scenes ever and an emotional scene (Which if being kind, looked better on the script) but other than the un-necessary Cock Fight scene near the end, it's quite entertaining.

This must be in rights hell or there isn't a good print around because this is a perfect film for 88 or Arrow.

Wildcats

Goldie Hawn wants to coach a High School American Football team, so she ends up at the worst school possible, follows the usual clichés, not sure if it's a Comedy or Drama. Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson co-star. It's not bad but I've seen plenty of these type of films already. Again if I saw it back in the day, I might have liked it more.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th October 2020 10:17 PM

Great reviews. Of those films, the only one I've seen is Deadly Friend :lol:

Graveyard 18th October 2020 10:46 PM

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...,67,98_AL_.jpg

A movie with James Stewart, John Wayne, Lee Marvin, Lee Van Cleef - you know it will be good, and it was - Good western .

nosferatu42 18th October 2020 11:47 PM

I'm pretty sure i've got an american release of Deadly Friend on dvd so the print is out there...

nosferatu42 18th October 2020 11:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That..

Attachment 228709

MrBarlow 19th October 2020 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 638092)
I'm pretty sure i've got an american release of Deadly Friend on dvd so the print is out there...

Where did you get that from Nos if you don't mind me asking??

nosferatu42 19th October 2020 12:11 AM

Not sure, probably Amazon.

MrBarlow 19th October 2020 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 638095)
Not sure, probably Amazon.

I still have the VHS tape of it but can never get a decent dvd release, cheers though.

iank 19th October 2020 03:07 AM

I have that one too, off eBay.
The Hand is awesome. :rockon:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th October 2020 08:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought the US Warner Home Video DVD from eBay in 2010. I have no idea whether it's still in print or not.