Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

nicholasrope 1st December 2020 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 641378)
Dragged Across Concrete (2018)

I absolutely loved Zahler's Bone Tomahawk, an outstanding western, so was looking forward to this.

Unfortunately the opening hour was so slow moving that it felt like it was dragging me across concrete but it did improve once Mel and Vince began trailing the robbers across town, eventually becoming a less unhinged and smaller scale version of Ben Wheatley's Free Fire albeit with added disemboweling.

Disappointing but worth a reappraisal in future.

The Tomb: Devil's Revenge (2019)

F*cking hell! This really did feel like being dragged along concrete, by the balls.

William Shatner stars and he's f*cking terrible, hammy as can be without any redeeming qualities whatsoever. Fellow Star Trekker Jeri Ryan tries her best in a thankless support role but nothing could prepare her or the viewer for Shatner's shiteness in this largely plotless excuse for a movie.

Despite the devil's of the title getting plenty of screen time they unfortunately fall into the trap of looking like a poorly realised Doctor Who monster from the seventies.

Avoid at all costs.

Dragged Across Concrete was way too long, there were too many scenes that were stretched out for no real reason. Especially the scene where the new mother was reluctantly leaving for work only for......(Not spoiling) but it was a completely unnecessary drawn out scene.

I swear some Directors think that their Films should be 2 and half hour plus epics no matter what.

nicholasrope 1st December 2020 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Horrible Bosses 2

The gang are back and this time they are conned into supplying (Christoph Waltz) an order of the product they invented. To get revenge they fake kidnap his Son (Chris Pine) to recoup their losses. Again Jennifer Anniston steals the show.

This was fun to watch but it was hard to root for the 3 main characters, they are incompetent when hiring and Kevin Spacey sums it well when he says that he wants to meet the people who didn't get a deposit to cover cost.

Linbro 2nd December 2020 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 641455)
Also revisited Black Mountain Side

Still quite the oddity. An archaeological team uncover an unusual structure. What happens next isn't like The Cruisemummy TF. Or that witless Thing remake. Watch this instead.
Ahem.

I picked this up at a JB HiFi sale a while ago, but haven't watched yet. Have heard that it's pretty good.

Dave Boy 2nd December 2020 09:02 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 229802
INVASION OF THE VAMPIRES (1963)

Count Frankenhausen uses his daughter to lure men out into the night so he can make them in to the undead. A Dr. arrives and tries to stop the growing vampirism. The Count can change in to a huge bat, and if killed, his undead victims will rise..

Mexican horror. Sequel to 'The Bloody Vampire' (1962).
Pretty good horror that is filled with some great atmospheric moments and a creepy soundtrack.
Great ending in which the undead rise from their coffins and wander around the town (still with stakes in their hearts !??).

Attachment 229803 Attachment 229804

Demoncrat 2nd December 2020 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Equinox (1970, Jack Woods)

WOOOOOH FEMALE IDENTIFIED PARENT.
The times they have chan-ged. Always remember seeing the cover of this one in a local store back in the long long ago. Whether I did take it out is lost to the mists of time ....

4 40 year olds visit some academic in the woods. What they find wouldn't make great reading on Trip Advisor tbh :laugh:
Apparently the prof has been delving into arcane lore (it looks like Hebrew to me ....) and has come a cropper. A hoot. Interesting on many levels, predating The Evil Dead sliiiightly, and as a time capsule of a time gone by .... where women knew their place ahem :behindsofa::pound:
Decentish stop motion adds to the fun somewhat.
REWATCH! Recommended. Criterion did the best job they could. Kudos etc etc.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd December 2020 07:00 PM

Decemberdike # 1

1 Attachment(s)
Victor Crowley (2017)

The Hatchet films are loads of fun and not to be taken seriously despite them having tremendous gory murders that would terrify the BBFC back in the day.

This fourth installment is no different. A young couple are hacked to pieces in beautifully bloody fashion in the first five minutes to signal the start of the mayhem and away we go. We've got gratuitous nudity - a book signing by original film survivor Perry Shen is laugh out loud funny - ridiculous dialogue, awful over acting, Tiffany Shepis. (Yay!), and of course Kane Hodder as Victor Crowley, back to slice up anyone he can by any means he can.

If you like the other movies then you'll have a lot of fun with this.

There's an excellent 25 minute interview with director Adam Green as one of many extras. The dvd is worth buying for this alone as once again his likability and sheer enthusiasm for the horror genre shines through and he tells the most touching story about George A Romero i've heard in a long time.

Demoncrat 2nd December 2020 08:32 PM

Batman Forever (1995, Joel Schumacher)

A candy coloured clown they call the set designer, tiptoes through my vision, giving me a fright (ful headache).
Ahem.
I laughed more this time. How silly tis. Saw Don Wilson this time. Never again though.

Brainsmasher: A Love Story (1993)

Andrew Dice Clay and Teri Hatcher? Hmmm. To be brutally honest, I really wish I could find Bound & Gagged: A Love Story, another "quirky" 90s oddity. But this was about as undemanding as it gets as a model and a bouncer have to fight off a Chinese sect bent on claiming an artifact for their own nefarious needs.
Remake? SURE. Just switch the two leads and make the baddies ... some other race ... Welsh?? :laugh: That's PC in a nutshell (or rather Hypocritewood's take on it, those tryhard fools). Clay plays his usual NOO YOIKER to the hilt and Lois looks pretty (thin) in a variety of outfits.

The next film I watched was ..... different. More to come!

Nordicdusk 2nd December 2020 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 229811

4 collage girls desperate to head to Miami for spring break hatch a plan to make more money when their savings for the trip are way short of the target. Three of the girls hold up a diner and the trip is back on. On arrival to Miami its pure paradise for them drink drugs partying not a care in the world they feel untouchable. That soon fades when there is a drug bust snd the girls are sent to jail for a few days. When they cant afford bail they are sent back to their cell for a further two days but s local drug and gun dealer posts bail snd the trip takes a totally different direction.

I always avoided this film think i expected a a film filled with annoying airheads but boy was i wrong book cover and all that. This is a darker tale of drugs greed boredom the longing for change a search for excitement a break from the norm self discovery. The film is shot so beautifully the whole film feels like you are having an out of body dream like experience. The music and the colours almost gives the feel of an other worldly nightmare. I enjoyed the acting and the story but the directing is what is was all about blurring the lines between beauty and a felling of unease always expecting something nasty to happen.

7/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd December 2020 09:54 PM

Spring Breakers improves with subsequent viewings too i think.

Nordicdusk 2nd December 2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 641522)
Spring Breakers improves with subsequent viewings too i think.

Definitely adding it to the collection i just spotted it on Netflix thought I'd give it a shot.

Im not a Britney Spears fan but that scene where they were singing at the piano was so haunting.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd December 2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 641523)
Definitely adding it to the collection i just spotted it on Netflix thought I'd give it a shot.

Im not a Britney Spears fan but that scene where they were singing at the piano was so haunting.

I really like the photography, it's like some sort of fluorescent nightmare.

Nordicdusk 2nd December 2020 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 641524)
I really like the photography, it's like some sort of fluorescent nightmare.

I really like that description.

Nordicdusk 2nd December 2020 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 229816

Two brothers rob a bank and its all going so smooth they just walk out ditch the clothes and get into the getaway car as cops speed past without any idea the two men were involved. While they are leaving town they hear a strange noise in the bag and the red dye inside explodes and fills the car causing a crash which kills the driver now the brothers must flee on foot covered in dye with ever cop in the city out to get the robbers. One of the brothers is mentally challenged and when the cops pull them over to ask questions he freaks out and runs for it after a short chase the brothers are separated and the mentally challenged brother gets napped and sent to jail. His brother Connie must raise $15000 to bail him out. When your a low life in the streets of New York you are going to have to do some low life things to raise money like that and the streets are not sympathetic to any mans cause.

This is a really raw gritty experience going on a journey with a desperate man who is out of options to try do the right thing by his brother and he knows more than anyone his brother will never survive in prison. The whole film is shot over one night where Connie hooks up with a small time hood who he accidently breaks out of hospital and they go on a search for a bottle of liquid acid and a bag of cash to get Connies brother out. In the same style as Spring Breakers there is a lot of neon and bright in your face colours again creating that dreamy uneasy vibe. The film feels real they way the dialogue is delivered the odd chemistry between the cast like they never met and that creates that uncomfortable feeling between them and its like its all shot where the actors have one chance and thats how its going to be presented in the film. Robert Pattinson is great here and its the second film i have seen him in this week and i really like him he has a way about him that feels natural like he is not acting pulling you in to his characters even more. There are some real touching moments with the brother also which they pulled off perfectly there is one scene with him where i felt i was there in the room with him not watching him through a screen and that was very effective.

7/10

Nordicdusk 3rd December 2020 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 229817

When a young boy loses his mother to cancer his father is driven crazy by the loss and commits suicide in the woods in front of a makeshift alter and crucifix at the back of their house. The traumatised young boy is sent to live with his uncle and grandmother and a small girl a simular age him whose parents left her. This young boy has no time for praying after his father forced him to pray every single day hard to save his mother's life and even as young as he was he could see how religion can drive a person crazy. He must put his feelings aside has he grows cause this small town and its people build their lives around church and these people will do anything for the love of god. But in this town people use church to hid the people they really are underneath it all.

The best way to go into this is blind dont read about it dont watch trailers i didn't even read the write up on netflix just pressed play. A film full of atmosphere a feeling of something is off here you know something is bubbling under the surface and very few people are not hiding behind a mask of religion thst has driven these people crazy justifying their acts by claiming they are doing the work of god and the scary part is no body can see through it.

Robert Pattinson and Tom Holland both with some real stand out performances in a film filled with great performances.

I know we dont do religious talk here but all ill say is that it kind of freaks me out a bit that places like this actually exist.

7/10

Dave Boy 3rd December 2020 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 229820
STAR WARS EPISODE VIIII
THE RISE OF SKYWALKER
(2019)

Could this have gone any other way? With Rian Johnson making his own movie with The Last Jedi, Lucasfilm had no endgame for this trilogy. They were making it all up as they went along. Daisy Ridley has said about the constant script changes. One day she is a Skywalker, the next day a Kenobi..
JJ Abrams took the flak for all this but he was only trying to mesh togerther a ton of ideas thrown at him. They should have taken their time with this movie. I would rather have waited a few years more and maybe a two parter to get it right. Kathleen Kennedy strikes again to destroy the franchise.

Nordicdusk 3rd December 2020 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 641551)
Attachment 229820
STAR WARS EPISODE VIIII
THE RISE OF SKYWALKER
(2019)

Could this have gone any other way? With Rian Johnson making his own movie with The Last Jedi, Lucasfilm had no endgame for this trilogy. They were making it all up as they went along. Daisy Ridley has said about the constant script changes. One day she is a Skywalker, the next day a Kenobi..
JJ Abrams took the flak for all this but he was only trying to mesh togerther a ton of ideas thrown at him. They should have taken their time with this movie. I would rather have waited a few years more and maybe a two parter to get it right. Kathleen Kennedy strikes again to destroy the franchise.

This film hurts my soul.

Linbro 3rd December 2020 07:08 PM

'Midsommar' - wow, wow, wow, this is amazing. Had me mesmerised from start to finish. The pre-title sequence is shattering and kicks off a feeling of dread that lasted the whole film. I wasn't prepared for a couple of the scenes, truly shocking.
I'm not really up with current popular films/tv, so apart from a couple of sort of familiar faces, I didn't recognise the cast - but man, Florence Pugh was fantastic in this. Absolutely fantastic.
4.5/5.

nicholasrope 3rd December 2020 09:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Pacifier

Vin Diesel is a Navy Seal that is given a assignment to protect a Scientist's Children. Naturally they are at loggerheads before they start to get along. Standard Live Action Disney movie but it's a lot of fun.

Best Shot

1986 film starring Gene Hackman as a Basketball Coach at a very small town School. His methods don't go down well with the obsessed townsfolk. It is your typical sports movie but it's very well done. Dennis Hopper co-stars.

This is one of those random films where the title and VHS cover has always stuck with me and gives nostalgic feelings similar to American Flyers and Peggy Sue Got Married.

MrBarlow 3rd December 2020 09:29 PM

Quote:

Best Shot

1986 film starring Gene Hackman as a Basketball Coach at a very small town School. His methods don't go down well with the obsessed townsfolk. It is your typical sports movie but it's very well done. Dennis Hopper co-stars.

This is one of those random films where the title and VHS cover has always stuck with me and gives nostalgic feelings similar to American Flyers and Peggy Sue Got Married.
One film I came across by chance and totally loved it, Gene Hackman in one of his best performance since playing French Connection

nicholasrope 3rd December 2020 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 641609)
One film I came across by chance and totally loved it, Gene Hackman in one of his best performance since playing French Connection

Yeah, I came across it in a CEX in a box set with Bull Durham and Midnight Sting, I like these types of sport movies and I do have memories of this title from my much younger days but never really actively tried to get it until I saw it in store

gag 3rd December 2020 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linbro (Post 641585)
'Midsommar' - wow, wow, wow, this is amazing. Had me mesmerised from start to finish. The pre-title sequence is shattering and kicks off a feeling of dread that lasted the whole film. I wasn't prepared for a couple of the scenes, truly shocking.
I'm not really up with current popular films/tv, so apart from a couple of sort of familiar faces, I didn't recognise the cast - but man, Florence Pugh was fantastic in this. Absolutely fantastic.
4.5/5.

I highly rated midsommar, but the hatred it gets is unreal and people keep saying wickerman rip off, oh come wickerman was released in the 70s and apart from wickerman not really many films can compare either of these two if that was the case you could almost compare nearly every film to another film these days, just glad that a film that was different than remakes, sequels, reboots, spin off, tv version of a film, marvel / Dc etc etc, it’s good that there is slowly a few films breaking out and breaking away from the norm and providing something new fresh and different eg vvitch, the lighthouse etc, the light house is a fantastic film that again is getting bad reviews but I think people are missing the story and concept about slow decent into madness because there only 2 people in the film and complaining it’s slow dull and boring, if that’s the case then stick to mind numbing crash bang wallop action packed soulless Micheal Bay shite.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd December 2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 641624)
I highly rated midsommar, but the hatred it gets is unreal and people keep saying wickerman rip off, oh come wickerman was released in the 70s and apart from wickerman not really many films can compare either of these two if that was the case you could almost compare nearly every film to another film these days, just glad that a film that was different than remakes, sequels, reboots, spin off, tv version of a film, marvel / Dc etc etc, it’s good that there is slowly a few films breaking out and breaking away from the norm and providing something new fresh and different eg vvitch, the lighthouse etc, the light house is a fantastic film that again is getting bad reviews but I think people are missing the story and concept of the about slow decent into madness because there only 2 people in the film and complaining it’s slow dull and boring, if that’s the case then stick to mind numbing crash bang wallop action packed soulless Micheal Bay shite.

Midsommar is also quite similar to Ti West's The Sacrament as well as The Wicker Man.

In all honesty it's is unsettling in it's final third but lacks any dramatic tension up till then and the story is hardly gripping, seemingly borrowing from a multitude of genre sources in reaching it's destination and it's way too long.

Basically it was over hyped i thought and although i didn't hate it or anything like that but anyone into Folk Horror in all it's guises won't find anything new with it aside from it's shot totally in sunlight.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th December 2020 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cheeky (2000)

I'm sure there's a story somewhere in this classic piece of erotica from auteur Tinto Brass but given all the boobs, vagina's, anuses, fingerings and erect cocks i never really noticed.

Cheeky would probably make Jess Franco blush with the sheer number of zoom shots and provides a lot of soft core erotic fun , but this is not a movie to watch with your kids, nor with your parents.

Dave Boy 4th December 2020 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 229859
HOT ROD GIRL (1956)

A trouble making newcomer to town stirs up the local hot rodders to race on the roads rather than on the drag strip.

AIP drive-in movie. One of the juvenile delinquency movies of the time.
In fact, it warns of the dangers of hot rods racing on the roads.
Lori Nelson (Revenge Of The Creature, Day The World Ended) stars as the girlfriend of a driver haunted by a road death. Usual AIP music segments with Bebop music playing on the juke box. Good.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th December 2020 12:37 PM

Decemberdike # 2

1 Attachment(s)
Hunter's Moon (2020)

Low budget horror that has a very good concept at it's heart but is painfully slow even at 78 minutes and said concept is sign posted far too early.

Initially playing out as a home invasion movie when three young thugs make their way into the new orchard home of gorgeous Katrina Bowden and her two sisters whilst their parents are away for the night. It begins promisingly enough and adds to proceedings with Thomas Jane's grizzled sheriff but from then on it meanders with nothing notable happening until the final ten minutes, but by that time it's painfully obvious what's going on even if it is well thought out. It's unfortunate that even the best ideas seem poor when they are clunkily executed as they are in Hunter's Moon.

Four days into this and i'm already lagging behind.

Dave Boy 5th December 2020 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 229872
HORRORS OF THE BLACK MUSEUM (1959)

Crime writer Michael Gough comits murder with the help of his assistant, who he injects to turn him in to a monster.
Gough, obsessed with the police Black Museum of death instruments, uses the devices to kill and then write a book about it.
Good movie with Gough at his bet as the crazy killer.
The US version released by AIP, had a 12 minute prologue called 'HypnoVista', a gimic to cash in the William Castle movies.

Justin101 5th December 2020 02:27 PM

Mank (2020) (David Fincher) on Netflix

https://i.ibb.co/hLP510P/image-q-85-...20-2020-10.jpg

I'm not a Citizen Kane fan I'll get that out of the way. I did enjoy Mank though, the story of the man who wrote the famous screenplay, mainly for the performances (Oldman and Seyfried) and the technical aspects of the film making. That pin sharp high contrast B&W looks beautiful.

It did start to lose me though, as the narrative started to focus more and more on politics, which I understand was important to the characters and their relationships, I started to feel a little restless and dare I say it bored. Then it just actually ended.

That was the only problem I had with an otherwise great film, it kind of fumbled the landing!

Demoncrat 5th December 2020 04:30 PM

The Invisible Kid (1988, Avery Crounse)

Mate turned up with this. I remembered the cover from the vhs days. A rather odd blend of Teen Wolf, Back To The Future and other things. Karen Black plays his mum. Yet again, the real stunts ( and hokey FX) won me over. I returned the favour by showing him that Equinox, as he's a big stop motion fan etc.

Later if I gets a chance it'll be that Host , as I liked Unfriended etc etc (those twits deserved what was coming to them :laugh:)

Nostalgic 5th December 2020 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 641557)
This film hurts my soul.

After Last Jedi, I just gave up. They would have been better off having Hamil reprise the role of CockKnocker from Jay & Silent Bob!

Haven't seen this, and the minute the next Mr Robot, Game of Thrones, Witcher, Walking Dead, Sabrina, (ie: the next "best show on netflix etc") comes out, the Mandelorian will be cast aside to chase the next cash cow.

And we all thought Lucas was a moneygrabber, it's actually become worse after his dodgey prequals!

*all views my own & do not represent Star Wars fans in general. Please don't get angry.

Currently watching MURDER BY CONTRACT, excellent noir by Irving Lerner about a hitman having second thoughts about his latest assignment.

nicholasrope 5th December 2020 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Killer Crocodile

A group of Environmentalists find out that someone has been dumping chemicals into a river in South America (Which looks like the river from Cannibal Holocaust) which turns a Crocodile into a giant killer Crocodile. Not bad, the lead characters were annoying that they wanted to save the Crocodile originally but it was gory when it needed to be.

Dave Boy 6th December 2020 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 229887
THE WORLD OF VAMPIRES (1961)

Vampire Count Subota, seeks out the descendants of a family that were responsable for persecuting vampires in Europe.

Crazy Mexican horror. Everyone moves slowly and it's like they are speaking to the camera while talking endless Monologues.
In a twist of the vampire lore, the undead can be brought to their knees by hitting the right notes on the keys of a piano or organ !!
That said, it is enjoyable enough due to the atmospheric scenes in the vampires lair.

trebor8273 6th December 2020 12:28 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFXQQ2uAeHM

A aging actress takes a immortality potion after seeing how well her bitter viral has aged. She doesn't realise that her rival also took the potion. The rival conspires with the actress husband who was her ex boyfriend , the two women kill each other but can't die and set there sites on the husband who was once surgeon and is now a undertaker to look after a e maintain there bodies.

A enjoyable a fun tale that has a back to the future Easter egg, Goldie Hawn says she took the potion on October 26 1985,the day Marty went to the past. 8/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJNenKqmOMU

While it's doesn't have the charm of the original , it's better than I thought it would be and is a enjoyable bit of fantasy. 7/10

Now watching
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euz-682_mjo

iank 6th December 2020 07:25 PM

lol I just realised I put that review in the wrong thread... oops. :xmasworry::hohoho:

MrBarlow 6th December 2020 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gremlins 2: The New Batch. 1990.

Billy and Kate have moved to New York and working for a media mogul Daniel Clamp, When Gizmo's owner dies and his shop demolished, Gizmo is picked up by two doctors who work in the Genetic Lab, and being released by Billy, Gizmo is let loose and gets wet, creating a new spawn of Gremlins.

Director Joe Dante prefers this film to the original, at times I can see why , you got a mogul Daniel Clamp which has been seen as business type like Trump or Ted Turner (the guy who owned CNN and WCW). Robert Prosky acting like Grampa from The Munsters, a one person cooking show, and a different selection of Gremlins that create the laughter than horror.

Zach Galligan, Phoebe Cates return with Dick Miller and Jackie Joseph as The Futermans, who seem to have got over the house crashing in the first film. John Glover stars as Daniel Clamp, Robert Picardo plays the bully manager type who seems to have charmed Greta the Gremlin that comes with some funny comments. The film does seem to parody other movies, the first was a bit of a dark comedy horror where this is just more comedy and still made me laugh.

Attachment 229893

Dave Boy 6th December 2020 09:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 229891
RUNAWAY DAUGHTERS (1956)

Three girls unhappy at home with their lives and strict and embarrassing parents, decide to runaway to LA. Stealing cars and then being chased by the police, the girls find work in a seedy dance hall full of drunks. Two of the girls begin to have a change of heart..

Another of AIP's drive-in teenage delinquent movies. The school gang the girls hang out with to begin with use the "It's coolsville Daddy-O" dialogue against the usual rock n roll music and of course the adults are treated as Dinosaurs. Good.

Attachment 229892

gag 7th December 2020 11:02 AM

Mikey

Early 90s about a evil child who capable of anything including killing,
The way the film is it comes across like a made for tv film on one of the sky channels, mikey thinks he misunderstood but actually quite evil, it was banned in the uk because at the time was the case of the James Bulger killing, and far as I’m aware never been released since, the film isn’t violent, gory or the omen so if it was released today it shouldn’t have much problem being released as a 12 rating, there isn’t much worse than what you see in home alone Except odd quick clip here and there and fact home alone was more slapstick and humour and mikey isn’t, a little tadge cheesy at times but definitely worth of adding to you collection just don’t go expecting great things, a lot better out there but also a hell of a lot worse .

Demoncrat 7th December 2020 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mikey is a hoot.

The Brain Sucker (1988, Herb Robins)

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH.
SOV mayhem. A hilarious "mad scientist" opening leads to the worst editing I've seen yet. A suave young buck sets up camp in the "fanciest" hotel in town, using it as a base for his nefarious deeds. The dialogue is barely audible (I've had to turn the volume up several times etc), but who cares when you can hear the director prompting the lead to smile and t'ing. :hohoho:
A sequence with a barfly and her daughter would get this cancelled now so SSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :lol:
Classic trash. REWATCH!!!!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th December 2020 07:06 PM

Decemberdike # 3

1 Attachment(s)
Hellboy (2019)

The next time i walk Milly around the Pendle villages i'll explain to her that not only was it the home to the Pendle Witches during the 17th century but it was also the place that King Arthur dismembered Mila Jovovich's evil blood queen Nimue in Hellboy.

Could it be any cooler? Hell, Yes!

Returning to Pendle Hill in the present day to battle Nimue and Stephen Graham's giant pig like beast as Alice Cooper's Welcome to my Nightmare thunders over the soundtrack.

Although this wasn't a patch on the Del Toro Hellboy movies, i thought Neil Marshall's reboot was a lot of fun and i enjoyed it more than the majority of comic book movies i've endured these last few years.

Demoncrat 7th December 2020 07:22 PM

I liked it too D. Violent and cheeky and whatnot. His new one looks more like his older stuff for all that ...

iank 7th December 2020 07:24 PM

Go. A group of young people trying to have a good time get into some serious scrapes on Christmas Eve in this late 90s youth comedy-drama. Haven't seen this in like 11 years but still a lot of fun, bouyed by the lovely Katie Holmes and Sarah Polley. PQ was surprisingly decent for a nearly 20-year old DVD, which frankly I half-expected to not even play properly!*:xmastreedance: