Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

MrBarlow 20th January 2021 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graveyard (Post 644464)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...tro-Poster.jpg

Xtro doesn't need any introduction I'm sure - 1st time watching, and was impressed with the special effects, the story itself it's ok - and it's always nice to see Maryam d'Abo on the screen :pound:

It gets better with every viewing

trebor8273 20th January 2021 07:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50NZq9DNVa0

When some sailors go missing , it is soon comes to light that they have been killed by giant molluscs , a captain and a scientist along with his female assistant set out too stop these beasties. A enjoyable bit of 50s B-movie. 7/10

Now watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgHPumVN4Fo

MrBarlow 20th January 2021 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Amityville Toybox. 2016.

At a 50th birthday party, Mark is given a toy monkey like he had when he was younger, the toy came from a antique shop in Amityville.

Aside from My Amityville Horror and The Amityville Haunting which i have seen before this is the last Amityville on prime, this one starts with the Defeo killings, don't let that fool you, the toy doesn't make a single move or turn up possessed, it seems to draw a man's father back from the dead and encourages his son to kill. The acting is very laughable how i got through the 70 minutes of this film is a wonder, only decent thing in this film was watching the big busty lass almost busting out of her top.

Gonna check out the new version of The Turning.

Attachment 230750

MrBarlow 21st January 2021 12:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Turning. 2020.

A young governess is hired to look after a young girl but when her problematic brother returns from boarding school, things take a unexpected turn and secrets of the house emerge.

Based on the book The Turn of the Screw by by Henry James, which was a strange read but interesting and more darker, the film was darker...even with the lights off it was still a bit too dark to see what was going on. The old lady in the book and film certainly deserves a slap, the young boy Miles definatly needs discipline but if you read the book you understand why he behaves the way he does. This is not the best take on the book it wasn't masterly made suspenseful but the acting was decent.

Attachment 230751

MrBarlow 21st January 2021 01:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Elvira's Haunted Hills. 2001

Elvira and her maid stop at a castle en route to Paris discovers she resembles the dead wife of the count who owns the castle.

Total parody of the old gothic haunted castle films we all love, every sinlge take has a cliche in it that resembles the old films and a small nod to The Pit and the Pendulum film and some fourth wall breaking which is hysterical. Richard O' Brien seems to take a nod at Boris Korloff role as the not so creepy count but does wonders with his eyes through sunglasses. This does make up for the naff films over the last two days. Anyway probably bored you all so Mr B is off to his coffin, take care all nighty night.

Attachment 230752

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st January 2021 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bloody Murder 2: Closing Camp (2003)

Set a couple of years after the utterly bollocks Bloody Murder (2000), Bloody Murder 2 is more of the same.

Fortunately this time they decided to use actors, realised a slasher film would benefit from some gore and threw in some nudity courtesy of Tiffany Shepis going starkers four times. I love Tiffany, she's a force of nature and just as she is here, a golden ray of sunlight in a world gone to shit.

A vast improvement on the first film, but still extremely derivative. The plot's identical in that Huddersfield mill owner Trevor Moorhouse turns up to kill the dim witted folks at Camp Placid Pines.

Absolutely nothing you won't have seen many times before.

iank 21st January 2021 07:53 PM

Heathers. Winona Ryder hates her own friends, her school's elite clique of snobbish "Heathers", but is still somewhat taken aback when her new boyfriend Christian Slater's idea of bringing them down turns out to be murder. This darkly comic high school satirical comedy thriller remains an anarchic blast from start to finish. :nod:

MrBarlow 21st January 2021 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dracula. 1931.

After a estate agent arrives at the castle of Dracula and succumbs to his powers, they both travel to London for the Count to take a bride.

Apart from some of the scenes and production set, this is what true horror is, not for the Bram Stoker character but the acting of Bela Lugosi portraying the character, watched this film upteen times and still get the chills. Dwight Frye as Renfield is picture perfect for his role and almost steals the show with his acting as a raving lunatic. Edward Van Sloanis always a peasure to see him in any film but this one makes him more superior as Van Helsing and having hits wits pitted against Dracula.

Even in black and white it has that dark brooding Gothic atmosphere in Castle Dracula with it's dark, damp web filled areas and even in the cellar it has that cold chilled factor that makes it look eerie.

Attachment 230761

marvinnashsear 21st January 2021 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 644587)
Dracula. 1931.

After a estate agent arrives at the castle of Dracula and succumbs to his powers, they both travel to London for the Count to take a bride.

Apart from some of the scenes and production set, this is what true horror is, not for the Bram Stoker character but the acting of Bela Lugosi portraying the character, watched this film upteen times and still get the chills. Dwight Frye as Renfield is picture perfect for his role and almost steals the show with his acting as a raving lunatic. Edward Van Sloanis always a peasure to see him in any film but this one makes him more superior as Van Helsing and having hits wits pitted against Dracula.

Even in black and white it has that dark brooding Gothic atmosphere in Castle Dracula with it's dark, damp web filled areas and even in the cellar it has that cold chilled factor that makes it look eerie.

Attachment 230761

OK, I think this might be one of the most unpopular opinions I've ever posted but I hated this. I thought Lugosi was terrible and Frye I couldn't take seriously at all. I laughed out loud quite a few times at how bad I thought it was. I also found it incredibly boring and thought the ending was massively anti climatic. My mate nearly disowned me when I told him this. Please don't hate me. And be gentle.

MrBarlow 22nd January 2021 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvinnashsear (Post 644590)
OK, I think this might be one of the most unpopular opinions I've ever posted but I hated this. I thought Lugosi was terrible and Frye I couldn't take seriously at all. I laughed out loud quite a few times at how bad I thought it was. I also found it incredibly boring and thought the ending was massively anti climatic. My mate nearly disowned me when I told him this. Please don't hate me. And be gentle.

Where's my pitchfork and torch :lol: Tbh This version and Hammer Horror 1957 film are both on my top list of Dracula, everyone has their favourite Dracula movie.

Justin101 22nd January 2021 08:00 AM

My favourite Dracula film isn't the same one that I think is the best one, the one I like the most is Francis Ford Coppola's version, but the one(s) I think are the best, 1931 or 1957!

Dave Boy 22nd January 2021 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 230766
FAME (1980)

Following the lives of students at the High School of Performing Arts in New York. Taking in the auditions through to the senior year.
As the film progresses, there is humour but we also see the hardships faced by the students.
Good songs here, notable is the 'Hot Lunch Jam' in which the students spontaneously burst in to music and dance in the lunch room and the 'Fame' song which sees the students spill out on to the streets to dance.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd January 2021 10:41 AM

Quote:

I don't hate it but it's not one i choose to watch very often either.

Rob4 22nd January 2021 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 644601)
My favourite Dracula film isn't the same one that I think is the best one, the one I like the most is Francis Ford Coppola's version, but the one(s) I think are the best, 1931 or 1957!

The Coppola version is derided because it subverts the novel to provide some redemption for Dracula. I agree with that criticism but taken on its own level and what it sets out to achieve, its undeniably, hugely entertaining.

Dave Boy 22nd January 2021 03:24 PM

The best version of Dracula for me is the the BBC 1977 'Count Dracula'.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd January 2021 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 644641)
The best version of Dracula for me is the the BBC 1977 'Count Dracula'.

Agreed. Louis Jourdan is excellent.

It's not my favourite Dracula film though. That honour still lies with Taste the Blood of Dracula and the 1957 Dracula...depending on which i watched last. :lol:

My favourite Frankenstein adaptation is probably different to most - The Hallmark Channels's mini series from 2004 starring Luke Goss as the monster. It's the most faithful version i've seen.

Again, my favourite Frankenstein films are the classic Universal Frankenstein as well as Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed.

MrBarlow 22nd January 2021 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Brides of Dracula. 1960.

A young woman on her way to a school to teach, takes up residency at the Chateau Meinster, when she sees a young man on the balcony below her window, she goes to help him and is told he is mad and has to be locked up and shackled. When she sets him free unaware she has released evil in to the village.

Dracula is dead, but his disciples life on in the form of the Baron Meinster played by David Peel. His performance did start off decently as he is introduced but as the film went on it became more wooden and boring to the point of thinking "just shut the hell up".

Yvonne Monlaur plays the young french teacher Marinne Danielle who succumbs to the seduction of the Baron, who seems to spend most of her time stupidly wandering into dangerous situations, acceptable in some cases, but in this film it just makes you question what level of intelligence they were trying to impart to her character.

Peter Cushing reprises his role as Doctor Van Helsing who battled Dracula in the previous film now to take on a younger Vampire, Peter Cushing seems more energetic in this film and manages to make a cross appear in the form of a windmill, a man that thinks on his feet. Michael Ripper and Miles Malleson make a small appearance. This is still worthy of the hammer horror right from the opening credits and score which makes it more haunting and the Gothic castle, thankfully Christopher Lee returned to the role of Dracula.

Attachment 230771

MrBarlow 22nd January 2021 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
State Of Emergency. 2011.

After a disused chemical plant explodes and releases a toxin in the air turning people in surrounding towns in to zombies four people hold up in a factory band together to survive and wait to be rescued.

This is a bit of a slow burner but a interesting one as well as it does focus more on the characters and the build up on who can you trust in a apocalypse and can strangers be trusted.

Filmed on a low budget don't expect it to be like Dawn of the dead or The Crazies, as the mutated people are stretched out and are few in between with some small blood splatter. The film does go back and forth a but with people's lives before the accident and after, there is some tense moments, go into a open mind and don't focus on other zombie flicks with this.

Attachment 230772

Demoncrat 22nd January 2021 08:41 PM

A mixed bag.

Demons 2

Ah, it looks bonny this time. Nice and clear. Grotty AF as ever, this one I've watched on and off a lot over time. Rhodes is entertainment personified as always.

Blue Monkey (1987, William Fruet)

If you know the name, you'll know what to expect. Steve Railsback and John Vernon? Ahem. Rather apt that I watched this now as tis tangentially relevant cough slightly ahem. A lot of fun, a bizarre blend of genres cough.

Zombie 5: Killing Birds (1987, Claude Milliken)

Finally got to see this entry. Not as crazed as the opening suggests it will be ahem. Somewhat sluggish, even for this series cough, but the deaths were reasonably nasty. Vaughn must have filmed his scenes in about 2 hours tee hee.
Will revisit more than likely.

Mad Max (1979, George Miller)

"I wanna know what you're doin' ..."
The economy of the structure of this film is still a joy to behold. Not a trace of fat. :nod:
HKB a joy to watch, just on the right side of camp, but never losing the menace etc .
Another bonny looking print, the sweat on the cops neck at the start etc etc.
Musn't leave it so long again.

nicholasrope 22nd January 2021 08:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Visiting Hours

Michael Ironside is the deranged killer who is stalking a TV Host after he puts her in Hospital. William Shatner co-stars. This film was entertaining but it felt a little disjointed for me therefore it doesn't quite reach the heights of being one of the top Slasher Movies. But it was close.

Hard Way

James Woods is the grumpy Cop who has to take Film Star, Michael J. Fox around with him for research purposes whilst hunting Killer, Stephen Lang. A quite entertaining Film from the early 90's.

Killer Crocodile 2

Another giant Crocodile is stalking a river which is polluted by Nuclear Waste. Decent fodder.

MrBarlow 22nd January 2021 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Terror Train. 1980.

After a party prank goes wrong three years earlier the students are stalked and killed on a party train by a unknown masked killer.

Another slasher killer movie that happy drunk horny teens seem to be the victim from the early 80s, it has a creative idea of having the teens on a moving train in costumes that the killer assumes the costume each time. Jamie Lee Curtis stars as the damsel in distress but also as the karma victim who was in on the prank but was never aware how far the prank would go. May not be for everyone but it's a nice movie to come back to every once in a while.

Attachment 230777

nosferatu42 22nd January 2021 11:22 PM

Seeing as people were debating Dracula and ~Frankenstein films, or at least saying favourites then i have to say Bela,is a solid count but the films too slow, my favourite Bela vampire film is the "Return of the vampire" not necessarily Dracula in name but might as well be and it's goofy as hell with his wolfman sidekick and the War setting is unusual.

Actual favourite Dracula film is either Dracula, Prince of darkness, Dracula has risen from the grave or Blood for Dracula because they are either the ones i remember watching most as a kid or are just entertaining.

The one i think is the best as a proper adaption is the Louis Jordan BBC job.

I'm with Dem on my favourite Frankenstein films, the original Karloff or Frankenstein must be destroyed, although i've warmed to Frankenstein and the monster from hell since the Blu release as it's ****in nuts, and also features Madeline Smith.:clap:

nosferatu42 22nd January 2021 11:33 PM

Also thinking about it my favourite Hammer Dracula scenes are from other films, I love the Peter Cushing running along the table scene from the first Hammer Dracula and also the intro coach battle from Dracula A,D 1972.

MrBarlow 22nd January 2021 11:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Us. 2019.

A family's beach holiday turns into a nightmare when they begin to be terrorised by the doppelgangers.

I went in to this film with no high hopes and came out with no high hopes, the premise of it was just a bit daft but there are those who believe we have doppelgangers around us and they do watch us. They ending is a bit messed up with the secret bunker/facility so basically everyone was cloned one way or another and time to be let loose on the world, even after having 10 minute nap I don't think i missed anything and caught up on it quite quickly.

Attachment 230778

nosferatu42 22nd January 2021 11:38 PM

...And i have to say that i rewatched the Nosferatu remake the other day, and in my mind both Nosferatu films strike a chord with me and there's no denying they are Dracula adaptions, these are i think the most haunting/affecting versions of all, maybe not that much fun but both versions are eerie and linger in the mind.:pop2:

MrBarlow 22nd January 2021 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 644689)
...And i have to say that i rewatched the Nosferatu remake the other day, and in my mind both Nosferatu films strike a chord with me and there's no denying they are Dracula adaptions, these are i think the most haunting/affecting versions of all, maybe not that much fun but both versions are eerie and linger in the mind.:pop2:

Klause Kinski basically nailed it with his version of Nosferatu and able to keep a stare that freaked me out, I watched Vampire in Venice that is still bad but good. The original Nosferatu will always be a classic film to me.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd January 2021 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 644686)

I'm with Dem on my favourite Frankenstein films, the original Karloff or Frankenstein must be destroyed, although i've warmed to Frankenstein and the monster from hell since the Blu release as it's ****in nuts, and also features Madeline Smith.:clap:

For a long time Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell was my fave Frankenstein movie closely followed by The Revenge of Frankenstein but for whatever reason Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed has come out of nowhere these last few years to become my favourite.

Dave Boy 23rd January 2021 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 230784
I AM YOUR FATHER (2015)

Documentary film with Dave Prowse as he talks about his role as Darth Vader in the Star Wars Original Trilogy. Dave talks about his role in Star Wars and also playing The Green Cross Code Man.
Dave speaks about how he was blamed for plot leaks in The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi and not being invited to any official conventions.
Including interviews with producer Gary Kurtz, associate producer Robert Watts and Daily Mail staff who confirm that it was not Dave who leaked information.
The crew also set out to refilm the unmasking of Darth Vader but with Dave instead.

Demoncrat 23rd January 2021 01:56 PM

More pick and mix ahem .....

Brain Damage (1988, Frank Henelotter)

Nice to see it intact after all this time. The heartwarming tale of a boy and his parasite :laugh:
Still mad as ****, as if he thought "I've made Basket Case, I can go one further though ..." :lol:

Paranormal Activity 2: Tokyo Night (2010)

Yep, you read that right. "Inspired" by Peli's success, here come de exploitation. Not as much of a carbon copy as I had feared, but the scares are all fudged, one sequence leaving me in tears alright ... of laughter :pound:
Ahem.

Cemetery Of Terror (1985, Ruben Galindo Jr)

A lot of fun this as it stood. Plus Stiglitz. His "sexy" image is the scariest thing here tbh, well, keep watching :lol:
Slightly daft, but there are tropes galore to tick off, so entertainment on any level ahem.

trebor8273 23rd January 2021 02:34 PM

Quote:

I agree with some points , Lugosi was laughable and agree on Frye but it's far from terrible think the Spanish version is superior in nearly every way, it's biggest problem was it was just so slow and boring.

gag 23rd January 2021 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 644715)
More pick and mix ahem .....

Brain Damage (1988, Frank Henelotter)

Nice to see it intact after all this time. The heartwarming tale of a boy and his parasite :laugh:
Still mad as ****, as if he thought "I've made Basket Case, I can go one further though ..." :lol:

Paranormal Activity 2: Tokyo Night (2010)

Yep, you read that right. "Inspired" by Peli's success, here come de exploitation. Not as much of a casrbon copy as I had feared, but the scares are all fudged, one sequence leaving me in tears alright ... of laughter :pound:
Ahem.

Cemetery Of Terror (1985, Ruben Galindo Jr)

A lot of fun this as it stood. Plus Stiglitz. His "sexy" image is the scariest thing here tbh, well, keep watching :lol:
Slightly daft, but there are tropes galore to tick off, so entertainment on any level ahem.

Basket Case and Brain Damage are both excellent films, love films that are different and a millions miles away from the norm killer/ slasher type .

trebor8273 23rd January 2021 04:57 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc_0dlmSq7I

The rare beast were a remake is better than the sequel . A film that excels at giving a sense of paranoia and isolation . A group of people begin too notice that people aren't behaving like themselves , they soon learn this is connected to strange looking plants that have suddenly appeared and the population is being slowly replaced. Well acted and very tense and just like the characters as the film goes on you just don't know who too trust . The end scene is iconic and the bango man dog is more funny than scary. 9/10

Going to watch this later, anyone seen it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtYTwUxhAoI

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd January 2021 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 644724)

Going to watch this later, anyone seen it?

Yes, i reviewed it on here just after Christmas.

iank 23rd January 2021 07:48 PM

Ready Or Not is a blast. :nod:

MrBarlow 23rd January 2021 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Timestalkers. 1987.

A history teacher becomes involved with two time travelers from the future, one to alter everything while the other one tries to stop him.

Made for T.V. movie this was a enjoyable little Science-Fiction flick from the 80s, William Devane a history teacher and a wild west fan and writer, is coerced to join Lauren Hutton who attempts to track down Klaus Kinski who wants to alter the future. There is no over the top special effects that will mesmerize you just straight to the point acting and a film that goes back and forth to the present and the past.

Attachment 230801

trebor8273 23rd January 2021 09:52 PM

A young woman is about to get married ,arriving at her boyfriends ancestral home , things take a strange turn when she is told a story of the family's history and how they came into their wealth which involves a strange game, becoming a member of this family she thinks nothing of it and agrees , she ends up having to play hide and seek, she agrees think it's strange but harmless, but things soon take a sinister turn she finds out the family are Satanists is set too kill her believing it they don't they will lose their wealth and they will die .

Very enjoyable and funny , black comedy with a range a deranged / oddball characters 8/10

Next up a something completely different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91-807VKYEA

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd January 2021 09:59 PM

9/10 for Ready or Not, Treb?

Wow. That puts it among the best films ever made in my book. :lol:

trebor8273 23rd January 2021 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 644734)
9/10 for Ready or Not, Treb?

Wow. That puts it among the best films ever made in my book. :lol:

That should be a 8.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd January 2021 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 644735)
That should be a 8.

What did you make of that finale where they all blew up?

At the time i thought wow, brilliant! But looking back now it also felt like a bit of a cop out too. I'm not sure. I'll know better on second watch i guess.

trebor8273 23rd January 2021 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 644736)
What did you make of that finale where they all blew up?

At the time i thought wow, brilliant! But looking back now it also felt like a bit of a cop out too. I'm not sure. I'll know better on second watch i guess.

I liked it but as you say it was a little bit of a cop out, was expecting some sort of twist, when she started giggling and people exploded I thought she had played them all and was the devil. I do think some sort of twist would of been a better ending. But the the exploding people was pretty cool and funny.