Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th May 2012, 10:59 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Watched Daylight last night for the first time in years. I remember watching it as a kid on a VHS tapped from TV - complete with adverts! Brilliant film, though I remember the dog playing a bigger - and more emotional - part in my child brain.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:35 AM
Cult Acolyte

Guys, I have a bit of a problem I need help with.
I'm getting th BU Zombie Blu Ray for my birthday, and I've never seen it. I'm hyping it up so much it's ridiculous.
I keep imagining as the most fun I'll ever have watching a movie, and this is based on a 4 minute clip I saw on YouTube, and I know it'll never live up to my expectations, and if anything it'll terrify me. (Bloody Fulci zombies)
So could you all tell me your honest opinion of Fulci's Zombie, just to get a rough idea of what to expect? Thanks

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 16th May 2012, 12:13 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
I'm getting th BU Zombie Blu Ray for my birthday, and I've never seen it. I'm hyping it up so much it's ridiculous.
I keep imagining as the most fun I'll ever have watching a movie, and this is based on a 4 minute clip I saw on YouTube, and I know it'll never live up to my expectations, and if anything it'll terrify me. (Bloody Fulci zombies)
So could you all tell me your honest opinion of Fulci's Zombie, just to get a rough idea of what to expect? Thanks
Oh it's really boring mate, tedious, not gory, not scary. Get something good for your Birthday instead................ (only kidding everyone, I think it's a bloody classic)

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 16th May 2012, 12:44 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

been really ill last few days but at leaast got to watch these from under my cover

captain america 6/10
sherlock holmes 2 8/10
chinatown 6/10
laid to rest 3/10
total recall 8/10
thor 7/10
tyrannosaur 8/10
Old 16th May 2012, 01:18 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
So could you all tell me your honest opinion of Fulci's Zombie, just to get a rough idea of what to expect?
Being brutally honest...

I first saw 'Zombie Flesheaters' (as us Brits know it) back in the 80's on video, and I thought it was a great film - lotsa blood in the opening sequence, jaw dropping shark scene, legendary eyeball scene, sickening zombie buffet scene, gripping final speech on the radio

Watching it now, about 20 years older, and I find it laughable. The pace is very slow, the effects look incredibly phoney, the characters are stupid, there is no logic and the plot is only there to separate the gore

However...I'm sure you already knew that

The great film I saw as a teenager, which I couldn't stop raving over, is now a typical friday night leave-your-brain-at-the-door, beer-and-kebab film

It is awful, but it is also a classic and I love revisiting the island of Matoul!
damek likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 16th May 2012, 01:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It's generally regarded as a classic but, as suziginajackson said, it hasn't aged as well as some of Fulci's more plot oriented films: some of the dubbing is laughable, the acting leaves a lot to be desired and the SFX make-up is frequently unconvincing.

However, I love it as the time seems to fly by and I seem to like it more with every viewing. It's a step below something like Dawn of the Dead (even though the zombie effects are similar) as it doesn't have the intelligence of Romero's zombie masterpiece.

Just try and clear your mind as much as possible and watch it without any preconceptions so you can give it an honest appraisal.
Old 16th May 2012, 03:01 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

it seems to be regarded higher than Fulci's other films like The Beyond and City Of The Living Dead which i find baffling as those two are atmospheric, gory and really beautifully shot, Zombie is a bit of a bore for me as i find it a chore to sit through but the BU disc is a thing of beauty..
Old 16th May 2012, 03:16 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
chinatown 6/10
a 6 for chinatown?
bu...but...
it's chinatown!
Old 16th May 2012, 03:16 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
tyrannosaur 8/10
I loved Tyrannosuaur: great film.

Also: I hope you're feeling better soon!
Old 16th May 2012, 03:17 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
a 6 for chinatown?
bu...but...
it's chinatown!

Forget it, Rhodes. It's Chinatown.

Like this? Share it using the links below!