Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Justin101 1st February 2021 09:56 PM

These all seem like Amazon Prime video specials Nord :lol: Are you trying to find a diamond among the shit :D

Justin101 1st February 2021 09:59 PM

Well tonight I watched Island of Death since Arrow has launched their streaming video service and it comes with a free month.

Good God, you're all sick pervs for recommending that I watch this one :lol: It has it's moments, and I'm all for him pissing on that woman, but seriously, terrible film making all around, makes D'Amato look like a pro. Glad I don't have the disc in my collection so I don't have to get rid of it lol...

Nordicdusk 1st February 2021 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 645413)
These all seem like Amazon Prime video specials Nord :lol: Are you trying to find a diamond among the shit :D

Yeah i felt like watching as many shit films as i could today....... i had a blast :happy:

Nordicdusk 1st February 2021 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 645415)
Well tonight I watched Island of Death since Arrow has launched their streaming video service and it comes with a free month.

Good God, you're all sick pervs for recommending that I watch this one :lol: It has it's moments, and I'm all for him pissing on that woman, but seriously, terrible film making all around, makes D'Amato look like a pro. Glad I don't have the disc in my collection so I have to get rid of it lol...

Yeah a nasty film now you know why i said i hated everyone in the film :lol:

Justin101 1st February 2021 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 645417)
Yeah a nasty film now you know why i said i hated everyone in the film :lol:

I like the Greek farmer at the end :lol: :rockon:

Demoncrat 1st February 2021 10:47 PM

It's a film that still makes a friend physically shudder when I mention it ....

Job done!! :laugh::hail::pop2:

gag 1st February 2021 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 645415)

Good God, you're all sick pervs for recommending that I watch this one :lol: It has it's moments, and I'm all for him pissing on that woman, but seriously, terrible film making all around, makes D'Amato look like a pro. Glad I don't have the disc in my collection so I don't have to get rid of it lol...

I've seen it but it was year's ago, can still remember the goat scene, but I would still rather watch this than films like a Serbian film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st February 2021 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Commuter (2018)

Risible, preposterous guff from director Jaume Collet-Serra and star collaborator Liam Neeson.

The plot is convoluted nonsense but it's still reasonable fun. Neeson is in every scene whilst other established stars (Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson, Sam Neil) wander in and out of shot occasionally. Of the four films Neeson and Collet-Serra made together this is comfortably the worst and the daftest. And that's saying something.

Nordicdusk 1st February 2021 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 645425)
The Commuter (2018)

Risible, preposterous guff from director Jaume Collet-Serra and star collaborator Liam Neeson.

The plot is convoluted nonsense but it's still reasonable fun. Neeson is in every scene whilst other established stars (Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson, Sam Neil) wander in and out of shot occasionally. Of the four films Neeson and Collet-Serra made together this is comfortably the worst and the daftest. And that's saying something.

Actually added this to my watchlist on Amazon Prime earlier today.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st February 2021 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 645426)
Actually added this to my watchlist on Amazon Prime earlier today.

It's entertaining enough. T'was my second viewing of it tonight. I'll stick my neck out and say it's better than anything you've watched today.

Nordicdusk 1st February 2021 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 645427)
It's entertaining enough. T'was my second viewing of it tonight. I'll stick my neck out and say it's better than anything you've watched today.

Well that would not be hard :lol:

MrBarlow 2nd February 2021 12:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Nightingale. 2018.

1825 Tasmania, Clare a young Irish woman beaten, raped and widowed by British soldiers and her baby killed goes after those who wronged her with Billy, a Aboriginal orphan as a guide. Marked with trauma's of their past, the two fight to overcome distrusts and prejudice during The Black War.

After seeing a clip of this I went into this with a blind watch and this was tough to sit through with the first part of violence, nothing new I haven't seen but it can be difficult. Aisling Franciosi did bring a solid performance as Clare who is hell bent on revenge and will go to lengths to get it, Baykali Ganambarr plays the guide Billy who hates "the whites" for what they have done to his people and slowly builds up trust to one person.

Jennifer Kent who wrote and directed this film, did do a lot of research on The Black War and brought her interpretation to the film and almost how accurate British Colonist treated those around them and will do anything to take the land away as well as treating the locals without any pity. I'm not sure if I would say yes this is recommended but on the other hand I would say no due to the story line, If you want a decent solid film with great acting and 2 hours to spare then this film may suit you.

Attachment 231021

MuckyFunster 2nd February 2021 11:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My Bloody Valentine (1981)

Brilliant slasher [emoji106] This has potential to be the benchmark I compare other slashers to. It has everything - a true classic of the genre.

Attachment 231024

My Bloody Valentine (2009)

This was the first real3D movie i ever saw at the cinema and it blew my mind! It was such great fun to see a slasher in 3D. Watching it again in regular old 2D some 12(!!) years later, I think it holds up as a great slasher movie. At the start it feels a bit *“made for TV”, but it soon finds its pace and you can settle into it. I’m glad I waited so long to watch it as I’d forgotten the kill scenes and the unmasking. The movie has a few spectacular kills which you can tell we’re designed to be viewed in 3D, but I don’t think they lose anything from the 2D alternative.

Attachment 231025

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demoncrat 2nd February 2021 06:00 PM

Night Shot (2010, Hugo Konig)

For a change, I watched deux French clods traipse around an abandoned asylum .............. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz .................. WAKE UP !!!! :lol:

Done apparently in one take. Probably??
Welcome to the world of "urban exploration" or as we call it, breaking and entering :laugh:
Really liked the yellow subtitles. Suffice to say, the place has a history, which could have been less spoonfed to me cough.

Nordicdusk 2nd February 2021 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuckyFunster (Post 645450)
My Bloody Valentine (1981)

Brilliant slasher [emoji106] This has potential to be the benchmark I compare other slashers to. It has everything - a true classic of the genre.

Attachment 231024

My Bloody Valentine (2009)

This was the first real3D movie i ever saw at the cinema and it blew my mind! It was such great fun to see a slasher in 3D. Watching it again in regular old 2D some 12(!!) years later, I think it holds up as a great slasher movie. At the start it feels a bit *“made for TV”, but it soon finds its pace and you can settle into it. I’m glad I waited so long to watch it as I’d forgotten the kill scenes and the unmasking. The movie has a few spectacular kills which you can tell we’re designed to be viewed in 3D, but I don’t think they lose anything from the 2D alternative.

Attachment 231025

Never got to see the 3D version of My Bloody Valentine which is a shame i love Friday 3D its alot of fun.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd February 2021 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 645477)
Never got to see the 3D version of My Bloody Valentine which is a shame i love Friday 3D its alot of fun.

Isn't the blu 3d?

The dvd is. It's not bad at all even though i'm not usually keen on that early red/blue kind of 3d.

Justin101 2nd February 2021 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 645479)
Isn't the blu 3d?

The dvd is. It's not bad at all even though i'm not usually keen on that early red/blue kind of 3d.

The one I have has the proper 'true-3D' on it but I don't have a 3D TV so no chance for me to watch it, I think the earlier version had the older red/green 3D and my box does have 2 pairs of glasses in it too :lol:

trebor8273 2nd February 2021 08:15 PM

It's February 2nd , so that means my annual viewing of one of my favourite Bill Murray films.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GncQtURdcE4
Murray plays Phil Connors a Weatherman who is sent to report of the ground Hog Festival for the fifth year. He awakens the next day it's Ground Hog day once again and so is the next and the next.

At first he likes it as he can do what ever he wants, but then grows disillusioned an depressed after a number of suicide attempts , he sets he goals in winning the heart of his producer and make himself a better person in the proccese.

Always enjoyed this film , so much so that I watched everyday for about a week when it came out too the pictures.

It's is based on a real event in a real town, have been to it when I was a kid and yes the place is called Gobblers Knob! 10/10

Now watching
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkmlp...has_verified=1

iank 2nd February 2021 09:07 PM

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. Slight but fun. Karen's nice in it. ;):nod:

Demoncrat 2nd February 2021 09:22 PM

She was the best thing in it personally. Not just visually either ;):lol:

nicholasrope 2nd February 2021 10:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Karate Kid (1984)

The film that (Probably unintentionally) launched one of the hottest TV shows currently around sees a young Daniel LaRusso getting bullied by a young Johnny Lawrence and he meets Mr. Miaggi who ends up teaching him Karate so that they can have a showdown at a Karate Tournament.

This is one of the earliest films, I ever saw and in 1984, this is was a 15 rated film (I know) but this to me is in iconic as well as a classic movie. Martin Kove as John Kreese is everything you want in a villain.

I wonder if Sony have the rights to the originally trilogy. Imagine what a extras laden Special Edition Blu Ray could be like considering most of the original cast are still around. Would love a Ralph, William and Marin retrospective commentary.

The Inbetweeners 2

The boys are back this time they go to Australia in order to find Jay's Ex. Losts of laughs in this one, I preferred this to the original movie (Which is not a knock on that one)

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd February 2021 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The A-Team (2010)

Lots of shooting, explosions and shouting but zero suspense and tension.

This is the second time i've watched this tv series remake. I'd completely forgotten anything that happened in it following that first watch a decade ago and i'm sure by tomorrow morning, aside from the flying tank, i'll have forgotten it all once again.

Justin101 2nd February 2021 11:06 PM

I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998)

https://bloodyflicksblog.files.wordp...still-know.gif

OK, I really enjoyed this. Perhaps because I was expecting it to be rubbish I had my expectations quite low but it's loads of fun, has some creative and graphic kills and the soundtrack is good too!

Sure, the plot wasn't entirely plausible and Jack Black is woefully misjudged but it was the 90s!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8gVmD39AmI

MuckyFunster 3rd February 2021 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 645479)
Isn't the blu 3d?

Yes the blu I’ve got gives you the option to watch in either 2D or 3D. It’s the blue and red glasses type of 3D rather than the RealD or whatever they call it. I can never really ‘see’ the blue/red glasses type
Of the 3D. Just looks blurry to me and ends up giving me sore eyes and a headache, so I don’t bother with it. My Friday 13th part 3 is the same, as is the 3D part in the Nightmare on Elm Street movie.

Demoncrat 3rd February 2021 02:41 PM

Always Watching: A Marble Hornets Story (2015, James Moran)

I caved. At least tisn't 9 bloody hours long this time.

An investigative team discover something awry when looking into local home foreclosures.

WAKE UP!!! :lol:

Yes, it's another Slender Man tale, but it was far better than the film called that ahem. A spiralling sense of doom envelopes them as they find that they've drawn "his" attention.
A cameo from another Tall Man may cheer you. It certainly gave me pause to smile and go "awwww" AHEM.

MrBarlow 3rd February 2021 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mission Of Justice. 1992.

Bitter ex cop Kurt Harris joins a group of "Peacemakers" formed by a ruthless woman who wants to be mayor and to keep the streets clean and free of crime unaware Kurt has joined to find out what happened to his friend who was killed.

Jeff Wincott plays the bitter cop pushed by his sergeant and joins a movement after friend Tony Burton is killed and believes peacemaker founder Brigitte Nielsen and brother Matthias Hues are behind it. The acting is not the greatest but makes up with the fight scenes that are well choreographed even Karen Shepherd is able to pull out a few kicks and punches. Entertaining.

Attachment 231055

MrBarlow 3rd February 2021 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Superman II. The Richard Donnor Cut.

The Last son of Krypton sacrifices his birthright to be human and start a relationship unaware three Kryptonian criminals are heading to earth to rule.

Filmed with Superman before being fired and 75% filmed, Richard Donnor should have never been replaced, as we see more of Marlon Brando as Jor-El, and stock footage of Superman turning the world back round. The editing and sound it's not the best as it does seem jumpy and the sound goes lower but we do see The White House getting wrecked by General Zod and his two minions. This version did eventually grow on me and have come to enjoy it a lot especially with Lois trying to prove Clark is Superman.

Attachment 231057

trebor8273 3rd February 2021 08:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_fYAgUDuTw

A Giant fire breathing turtle that can also fly at supersonic speeds is released from its slumber after a nuclear explosion , it promptly goes on a destructive rampage in Japan , nothing can stop it not even nuclear weapons so the scientist of the world come up with a secret plan , that involves trapping it and blasting it too mars, a enjoyable kaiju movie, always enjoyed these with men in suits destroying models which have a certain charm. Only thing I didn't like was the annoying kid who kept defending Gamera. The original turtle in a half shell! 7/10

Now watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XExSyF6Wl20

Demoncrat 3rd February 2021 09:19 PM

The Mountain Kings (2018)

Ah, a return to watching people you would cross the county to avoid.
A scummy quartet (is it five though??) traverse an uncaring landscape as they torture and maim their way round town.
Like a Fisher Price August Underground, it waves its "transgressive":rolleyes::rolleyes::lol: elements in your face, mainly because there's very little else. The one neat bit of business what with the 4th wall breakage and that was instantly nullified by the next scene :nod::lol:.
Plus it was 105 minutes. Brevity FFS!!

NOT FF. Shot in the black and the white so it sort of reminded me of Clerks. If Ed Kemper had directed Clerks, that's it :laugh:

Dave Boy 3rd February 2021 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 645535)

I know this version is sort of a concept version of what might have been but this is how I would have loved Superman II to have been theatrically.
I hate the comedy in the theatrical cut. It's just stupid.
General Zod, Ursa and Non, so evil in those brief scenes in Superman The Movie were reduced to the three stooges.
Also it's great to hear the John Williams score on the main titles rather than the Ken Thorne version which just has not the power.

gag 3rd February 2021 11:10 PM

Surprising how many directors debut films are outstanding,
Tarantino, reservoir dogs

Hugh Hudson Chariots of fire

George A. Romero Night of the living dead

Well Joe penna Arctic comes as no exception, it’s simple, gripping, and effective about one mans fight for survival in the wilderness in the Arctic after crashing his own light aircraft, when he thought he was about to get rescued by a chopper that crash lands because of the weather and leaves one survivor a female, the Rest of the film is about trying to survive and save the female as well while she badly hurt and dying, everything about this film is beautifully shot, the acting, the cinematography, the music score, scenery etc, highly recommend.

MrBarlow 3rd February 2021 11:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Blade. 1998.

Half human half vampire Blade is on a crusade to rid the world of vampires while searching for one vampire Deacon Frost who's goal is to become the ultimate vampire.

Decent comic book turned feature length film with Wesley Snipes when he was in his prime of action movies from Passenger 57 and Demolition Man, here he is teamed with Whistler played by Kris Kristofferson, who are hunting down Stephen Dorf who wants to full fill a vampire prophecy and becoming a god..there is always one bad guy who wants to be a god. The martial arts and stunts are decently done as well the visual effects and cinematography, what makes things blend to this film well is the background soundtrack, Stephen Norrington done well with the script by David S. Goyer.

Attachment 231075

MrBarlow 4th February 2021 01:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Blade II. 2002.

Blade forms a alliance with a group of vampires who have been training to take him down to hunt a new strain of vampires who feed on humans and vampires.

Guillermo Del Toro does the directing here with a creative mind that only he does best and gives us a new form of vampires, this one is darker and better with the lights off to enjoy it more, Kris Kristofferson returns and even a bigger badass and Norman Rebus as helper Skud. This one doesn't really have any character building except Nomak played by Luke Goss who makes a convincing vampire and his father Damaskinos played by Thomas Kretschmann.

The fight scenes are choreographed well in this film which are done by Donnie Yin who has a small role in here and we all love Ron Perlman in this who seems to have a bad attitude towards Blade, the soundtrack is better in than than the previous film. I'm going to avoid the third film as I watched it twice and never really enjoyed it.

Attachment 231078

Justin101 4th February 2021 12:56 PM

There is a fantastic 1hr interview between Kim Newman and Roger Corman on the new The Masque of the Red Death release. It was filmed on stage at the BFI in 2013 and focuses mainly on his gothic cycle but also touches on his well known films between A Bucket of Blood in 1959 and The Terror in 1968.

It's definitely a worth a watch if you've bought the new disc. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th February 2021 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 645604)
There is a fantastic 1hr interview between Kim Newman and Roger Corman on the new The Masque of the Red Death release. It was filmed on stage at the BFI in 2013 and focuses mainly on his gothic cycle but also touches on his well known films between A Bucket of Blood in 1959 and The Terror in 1968.

It's definitely a worth a watch if you've bought the new disc. :nod:

Even though i preordered the set i was thinking of saving the whole thing until this Christmas Eve.

Less than 11 months away. :lol:

Justin101 4th February 2021 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 645609)
Even though i preordered the set i was thinking of saving the whole thing until this Christmas Eve.

Less than 11 months away. :lol:

It'll be worth the wait it looks amazing and vibrant. I couldn't wait that long though, I had it playing within 3 hours of it arriving I was excited :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th February 2021 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 645610)
It'll be worth the wait it looks amazing and vibrant. I couldn't wait that long though, I had it playing within 3 hours of it arriving I was excited :lol:

It's not like i haven't seen the film loads of times.

I actually only bought it for the extras if i'm honest.

I mean. Is a shitty February when plague stalks the land really the right time to watch this movie? :lol:

Justin101 4th February 2021 01:47 PM

Any time of the year is fine to watch Hazel Court sear an inverted crucifix into her breast and pronouncing herself Satan's handmaiden!

Susan Foreman 4th February 2021 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 645611)
I mean. Is a shitty February when plague stalks the land really the right time to watch this movie?

gag 4th February 2021 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 645535)

The Last son of Krypton sacrifices his birthright to be human and start a relationship unaware three Kryptonian criminals are heading to earth to rule.

Filmed with Superman before being fired and 75% filmed, Richard Donnor should have never been replaced, as we see more of Marlon Brando as Jor-El, and stock footage of Superman turning the world back round. The editing and sound it's not the best as it does seem jumpy and the sound goes lower but we do see The White House getting wrecked by General Zod and his two minions. This version did eventually grow on me and have come to enjoy it a lot especially with Lois trying to prove Clark is Superman.

Attachment 231057

I’ve never seen this version , is there a big difference ? is it same film just trimmed down, or bits that are completely different ?