LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th May 2012, 09:13 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
By a mile, film projection is around the 4K mark isn't it?
I think 70 mm is around that, yes, with a BD able to store about 2K. I'm pretty sure you can get the information from the 35mm negative onto a BD, but the resolution from 70 mm is to large even for a disc with such a large storage capacity.

The HD encoding for the 2001: A Space Odyssey BD was taken from the 70 mm negative which is why it looks so good, but the BD couldn't cope with the sheer amount of information which had been digitally scanned.
Old 17th May 2012, 09:15 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Vertigo boring?? I must have been watching a different film then. It's his sickest film bar none, just think about it......

AAnyway, since my Attack Of The Herbals still hasn't turned up, i showed someone else God Bless America, and it keeps getting funnier every time i see it.

May watch Alyce (came from Poundland) later.
Daemonia and Baseball Fury like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th May 2012, 09:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Reasons why you should never watch a a so called horror/scary film with someone who doesnt watch these type of films..

Watched the women in black last night with the wife and she was just jumping all the time at nothing..
Half way through she said its realy scary i cant watch anymore could we watch it with sound down ...Baffled i said er no, how... wont be able to hear when they are talking...
Oh yes she said ok ill turn round, facing the couch closed her eyes and then ask me to give her a running commentary,
He just opened a door, he looking around, there so so in the room, he slowly walking in the room its dark and i was like this for almost rest of the film Not speaking when they spoke in the film to let her hear .....
Then suddenly she jumped and i laughed i said eh how come you jumping at nothing when your not even watching anything. Yes but i was just imagining what going to happen next and it made me jump.....

Old 17th May 2012, 09:31 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I think 70 mm is around that, yes, with a BD able to store about 2K. I'm pretty sure you can get the information from the 35mm negative onto a BD, but the resolution from 70 mm is to large even for a disc with such a large storage capacity.

The HD encoding for the 2001: A Space Odyssey BD was taken from the 70 mm negative which is why it looks so good, but the BD couldn't cope with the sheer amount of information which had been digitally scanned.

I thought 4K was the convention for 35mm scanning (certainly for library and archive storage), with 70mm requiring far more?

I had always heard/read that 35mm resolution outstrips BD by some degree, rather than being an "ideal fit".

I shall look into it further as soon as this hangover shows any sign of shifting!
Old 17th May 2012, 10:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I thought 4K was the convention for 35mm scanning (certainly for library and archive storage), with 70mm requiring far more?

I had always heard/read that 35mm resolution outstrips BD by some degree, rather than being an "ideal fit".

I shall look into it further as soon as this hangover shows any sign of shifting!
I think you're right, based on the MOC catalogue

Old 17th May 2012, 11:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Wow you've never seen zombie by fulci! You are in for a treat.
The gore scenes are incredible,the music is first class,and the sense
of dread and decay are present in most scenes. The acting is ok and after
romero's day of the dead and dawn of the dead I hope you enjoy
what I consider to be the third best zombie movie ever made. And after the movie
you have a whole other disc of goodies to check out. Enjoy
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 17th May 2012, 11:19 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Yes, exactly those films!

That's true. Savini's gore effects are excellent, but the grey and blue zombies clearly look as if the actors have been painted.

I'd have loved to be there watching that double feature as both films are superbly made, but slightly different. There's a bit more humour in Rear Window than Vertigo, but the scripting, design and direction in Vertigo are in a class of their own and it's Hitchcock's most accomplished picture. I feel like doing that double bill on my own one evening now!

Seeing it in 70 mm must have been a great visual experience and (I think) would have more information than you could fit on a dual layer BD.

Just in terms of Hitchcock's films, my favourite is Psycho, but his best is Vertigo.
70MM was quite a treat, looking just like an amazing blu ray, only with natural grain! It is a suburbly made movie, but in my mind there are good movies, like Oscar winners, which can be smart and well made, but an absolute bore, then entertaining movies, like schlocky horror, which can be utter crap but a really fun movie.

Other 70MM films my local cinema shows are 2001, Aliens, The Last Starfighter, The Right Stuff, Baraka, Hamlet, Titanic, Poltergiest, Ben Hur.

They also show restorations of old films, like 2K Raiders, Labyrinth, South Pacific, Olkaholma, Oliver, Ferris Bueller, Scarface, Ghostbusters, Fright Night, and 4K Taxi Driver, Sound Of Music, Dr Strangelove, Big Leblowski

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 17th May 2012, 11:29 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post

I've just finished reading the booklet which came with the Criterion Collection BD of Salò, the 120 Days of Sodom (which I watched a few days ago) and that was only scanned at 2K before being put through several programs to reduce noise, dirt, scratches etc.

I think Baraka was scanned at 8K (the BD looks spectacular) so I guess it all depends on the source material.
Old 17th May 2012, 11:36 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Watched Osombie last night. Bin Laden's back from the dead and causing havoc!

To be honest, it's not as great as it sounds. This could have made a hillarious zombie comedy - so much potentional! - but sadly the film is a completly serious low-budget action, war zombie film with not much to offer other than walking around the desert shooting muslim extremist zombies. The idea is much better than the execution in this case. I was surprised to even find it in Tesco! This low budget film has done brilliantly well for itself.

If you fancy a bit of Bin Laden Zombie action save yourself some money and get the DVD version. The Blu-Ray has nothing extra to offer and I'm sure there's not that much difference between the PQ of the Blu-Ray and the upscaled DVD version.
Old 17th May 2012, 11:42 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
I think Baraka was scanned at 8K (the BD looks spectacular)
I keep meaning to pick that up...you may have given me the prompt I needed!

Like this? Share it using the links below!