That of course, would be illegal!
Shhh!!
Kyle likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 20th May 2012, 09:46 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Watched several films yesterday:

THE HUSTLER (20thC Fox digibook, 1961): Brilliant! Felt very much like a noir in style, loved the seedy two-bit pool halls and grimy locations + George C Scott was immense.

THE IRON ROSE (Kino & Redemption, 1973): The atmosphere and cinematography were excellent. The graveyard was a great place to film and set the majority of the movie. However I found the characters a little annoying and felt it could have benefited from a bit of a story, although I realise that's not what Rollins is about.

THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE (Criterion, 1921): Again, excellent atmosphere. The fact it was filmed on nitrite gives it this eerie silvery sheen + lovely tints. Characters were good, story was good although tending to the melodramatic a bit as silent films generally do, visual effects were very impressive for the time. The phantom coach & its driver (death) were effective too.

All of the above blu rays had exceptional transfers, very impressive jobs done by the publishers.

THE LAST GUN / 4 DOLLERS OF REVENGE (Mill Creek, 1964&1968) : I was pleasantly surprised with this double Spag West release from Mill Creek. Seeing as it only costing £5, the quality of the transfers were much better than I was expecting. It is definitely HD, and despite the surface noise (pops & crackles) it was nicely done I thought. The films were better than I was expecting too, particularly THE LAST GUN. Good characters and a good story, although 4 DOLLERS had the better soundtrack for definite. Looking forward to receiving KEOMA/THEGRAND DUEL double bill too.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 20th May 2012, 11:36 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

inception 8/10
apartment 143 6/10
outpost: black sun 6/10
Old 20th May 2012, 11:39 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
As for FRIGHT NIGHT (2011). Sorry I thought it was fairly bad, not dreadful but let down by poor quality CGI and the fact the new gerry dandridge has no familiar and just goes nuts when he's uncovered rather than play mindgames.
Fair enough. I don't get hetup by CGI like others do. None of the effects even registered as "bad" with me, they were just part of the story. I thought it was a different Jerry Dandridge for a different film. I'm not the biggest admirer of the original though, so there were no precious memories to be sullied for me.

It certainly wasn't a masterpiece, but as modern remakes go, this was one of the very best and least pointless I have seen. And I was really expecting to dislike it and find fault throughout.

But that's just me!
Old 20th May 2012, 12:17 PM
Ex-member

BODY DOUBLE
THE UNTOUCHABLES
Old 20th May 2012, 01:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Abduction

Not a good film but not a bad film
Once gets going Taylor lautner plays the character along the lines of matt damon as jason bourne...
Old 20th May 2012, 04:20 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
BODY DOUBLE
THE UNTOUCHABLES
Nice DePalma double bill. What did you think of Body Double?
Old 20th May 2012, 04:28 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Orca -
Well...I really liked it! Sure, I can see what people find silly about it, but I let myself buy it and let the film operate within its own world. Clearly it was intended to cash in on Jaws but it is quite different. The big, bitey dolphin is not really the bad guy and this adds a nice element to the story. It seems perfectly well made to me also and has decent performances - despite many internet critics lambasting the FX and Richard Harris's turn. Again, I really liked it.

So...yay, Orca!
Orca Killer Whale is certainly better than the vast majority of the Jaws sequels that were ever made.

It's far superior to anything that came after Jaws II in my opinion.
mark meakin likes this.
Old 20th May 2012, 04:28 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
Watched several films yesterday:

THE HUSTLER (20thC Fox digibook, 1961): Brilliant! Felt very much like a noir in style, loved the seedy two-bit pool halls and grimy locations + George C Scott was immense.

THE IRON ROSE (Kino & Redemption, 1973): The atmosphere and cinematography were excellent. The graveyard was a great place to film and set the majority of the movie. However I found the characters a little annoying and felt it could have benefited from a bit of a story, although I realise that's not what Rollins is about.

THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE (Criterion, 1921): Again, excellent atmosphere. The fact it was filmed on nitrite gives it this eerie silvery sheen + lovely tints. Characters were good, story was good although tending to the melodramatic a bit as silent films generally do, visual effects were very impressive for the time. The phantom coach & its driver (death) were effective too.

All of the above blu rays had exceptional transfers, very impressive jobs done by the publishers.

THE LAST GUN / 4 DOLLERS OF REVENGE (Mill Creek, 1964&1968) : I was pleasantly surprised with this double Spag West release from Mill Creek. Seeing as it only costing £5, the quality of the transfers were much better than I was expecting. It is definitely HD, and despite the surface noise (pops & crackles) it was nicely done I thought. The films were better than I was expecting too, particularly THE LAST GUN. Good characters and a good story, although 4 DOLLERS had the better soundtrack for definite. Looking forward to receiving KEOMA/THEGRAND DUEL double bill too.
how was the iron rose?
Old 20th May 2012, 04:56 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Would try, but i think my Dad is completely over buying things over the Internet for me after our credit cards getting hacked 4 times and a couple of problems with Amazon uk and order cancelations and per orders and everything.

If I wanted to watch it again a dvdr of the code red transfer would suffice
If anyone's willing
You can pay bill via paypal, i've had zero problems. (But then i've never had problems with amazon either but code red stuff on there is mightly expensive, and I should know )

Like this? Share it using the links below!