Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st May 2021 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Clint Eastwood, Telly Savalas, Donald Sutherland and gold bullion. You'd almost think this classic war film was a spaghetti western, indeed Lalo Schifirin's fine score does allude to that genre as the film comes to a near Mexican stand off during it's finale, but no, Kelly's Heroes is a rollicking boys own adventure style epic about a group of maverick American soldiers led by Eastwood and Savalas who hear of $16m of gold bullion hidden in a French bank in the small town of Clermont. There's only a couple of snags. The bank vault is 30 miles behind enemy lines and is guarded by three Tiger Tanks of the 1st SS Panzer Division as well as a platoon of German infantry.

Needing his own tanks, Kelly inadvertently recruits Oddball (A brilliant Donald Sutherland) an American tank commander with three US Sherman tanks.

Kelly's Heroes is for me a timeless classic. I've watched and loved it dozens of times over the years. Director Brian G Hutton, who also directed Eastwood in the equally brilliant Where Eagles Dare two years previous, makes the film flow beautifully whether it be full on superbly realised action sequences or the quieter moments with their crackling dialogue.

Eastwood and Savalas go about their assignment with laid back cool and frenetic gusto but are upstaged by Sutherland's clearly bonkers and equally spaced out Oddball. The sight of Oddball in the midst of battle chilled out drinking wine and eating cheese whilst sat at his own table and chair is just brilliant as Eastwood and Savalas approach in sheer amazement "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know". It's just so bizarre and so, so funny.

The action culminates in an assault on the French town and a showdown with the three Tiger Tanks. It's expertly staged and shows the sheer fire power of the Tigers as buildings crumble to dust in their wake.

As well as being one hell of a good time and a thrilling adventure, Kelly's Heroes also manages to satirize what i would call typical war films with it's moral ambiguities and it's this satire and occasional outright laughs that sets it apart from so many war movies placing it firmly in the crime caper genre of The Italian Job (1969). Alright, The Italian Job crossed with The Dirty Dozen.

MrBarlow 2nd May 2021 12:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Let The Right One In. 2008.

Oskar, a bullied 12 year old boy stuck between his parents divorce befriends a girl from his flats Eli, as their friendship progresses, Oskar finds out Eli is a vampire.

This is the second time seeing this film and still amazes me, from the start to finish it never gets boring more interesting and never read the book to this, leaves things questionable like was Eli grooming Oskar to be the new helper if Hakan (current helper/guardian) leaves her but never really revealed but Eli doesn't seem to be manipulative.

Kare Hedebrant and Lina Leandersson play the young leads of Oskar and Eli pretty well, they built up the chemistry between the actors decently from being strangers with a bad attitude to being friends that makes it believable. For a vampire movie there is some blood but never goes over the top. For Hakan's face make up that was done decently and horrific that you can feel his pain almost.

Attachment 232937

davcol 2nd May 2021 06:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Weird Science.
I'm sure everyone who frequents this site must of seen this film at least once so I won't bother with a synopsis. I have a deep nostalgia for the mid to late 80s as it was all about going to the local video shop or playing on my Atari. I first seen this in the summer of 87 and have loved it ever since.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd May 2021 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 651253)

This is the second time seeing this film and still amazes me, from the start to finish it never gets boring more interesting and never read the book to this, leaves things questionable like was Eli grooming Oskar to be the new helper if Hakan (current helper/guardian) leaves her but never really revealed but Eli doesn't seem to be manipulative.

It's a brilliant book, Mr B. It one I found very easy and quick to read, and enjoyed it because it's superbly written, gripping, and slightly different to the film adaptation.

MrBarlow 2nd May 2021 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 651262)
It's a brilliant book, Mr B. It one I found very easy and quick to read, and enjoyed it because it's superbly written, gripping, and slightly different to the film adaptation.

At your recommendation Nos, will check it out.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd May 2021 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 651265)
At your recommendation Now, will check it out.

You might want to borrow it from a library or buy it from eBay where it's only £3.29 (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133707369080); it's fairly cheap (£3.39) at Music Magpie (https://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/store/...3-a7ad9854d318).

MrBarlow 2nd May 2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 651268)
You might want to borrow it from a library or buy it from eBay where it's only £3.29 (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133707369080); it's fairly cheap (£3.39) at Music Magpie (https://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/store/...3-a7ad9854d318).

:thankingyou:

Demoncrat 2nd May 2021 08:20 PM

Live

All I wanted was to watch some more idiots traipse to their doom, instead I got this rather depressing tale of a woman who is kidnapped "live" whilst chatting with her online family. Mainly talking heads (mockumentary then?? :rolleyes:) after the fact.
Savageland did that angle far betterer tbh.
Was that bummed out, had to watch some Bottom afterwards to cheer myself up ahem. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd May 2021 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The War Lord (1965)

Charlton Heston plays a knight who takes over a tower on the Normandy coast and is told by his duke to hold it in order to strengthen the duke's authority in the area. All goes well until Heston falls for local villager Rosemary Forsyth and uses the local Pagan laws in order to keep her for himself much to the anger of the locals.

The first hour is more melodrama as it explores the clashes between the church and crown and Pagan ritual and lore that consumes the villages of the time and examines the social breakdown between Lords and peasants.

However the second hour is a full on medieval assault on the castle tower by the locals aided by previously defeated Frisian raiders. It's gritty, exciting stuff as an assortment of catapults, battering rams... basically everything you can think of when it comes to a brutal medieval siege. Imagine Peter Jackson's The Two Towers but done without any CGI and you have The War Lord.

Director Franklin Schaffner (Who seemingly plucked half his Planet of the Apes cast from this film) handles the action brilliantly - top quality stunt performers too including Richard Farnsworth and Buddy Van Horn - which is helped no end by the ease at which he allows the build up to capture the viewers imagination via some colourful characters and fine interplay between Heston, Richard Boone and Guy Stockwell.

The film is gorgeous to look at thanks to Eureka's beautiful high definition print. Highly recommended.

Inspector Abberline 3rd May 2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

I'll say straight away, i had a lot of enjoyment watching Willy's Wonderland. It was everything The Banana Splits Movie should have been. A bit creepy, violent, gory and a whole load of fun
Totally agree a great film, fantastic that Nic Cage never utters word .... They need to start flogging those t-shirts.(there's some out there but not as good as used in the film)...

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd May 2021 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 651327)
Totally agree a great film, fantastic that Nic Cage never utters word .... They need to start flogging those t-shirts.(there's some out there but not as good as used in the film)...

Those t-shirts for sale would be fantastic.

Dave Boy 3rd May 2021 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 232956
HOMICIDAL (1961)
THE TERROR OF THE TONGS (1961)

Another good original double bill.
When I first saw Homicidal many years ago, I never guessed what the end was going to be. Did anyone?
Years ago I saw Terror Of The Tongs at a special screening, 35mm I think. I had never seen it before and Geoffrey Toone was a guest. It was very rare to see the film then and it was not available anywhere on home media. I managed to get a copy from ebay from someone seelling rare films on DVDr. I never imagined that later on down the line it would be available on DVD and then Blu ray.

trebor8273 3rd May 2021 06:15 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzCeVeVvCnQ

Enjoyable but it's really more a political thriller with the prime Minster of Korean kingdom using a plague and story of a monster roaming the countryside, too gain control of the kingdom for himself, but the creature turns out too be real.

Now watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEsZ2yjmGfI

This is bad, not so bad it's good it's just crap. Shit acting, effects , characters and story, it has nothing going for it, well it's a nice transfer I suppose far better than this turkey deserves! Well let's be honest no one bought the 101 films release for the movie.

Next
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zreNh78kTjg

SymbioticFunction 3rd May 2021 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 651253)

Oskar, a bullied 12 year old boy stuck between his parents divorce befriends a girl from his flats Eli, as their friendship progresses, Oskar finds out Eli is a vampire.

Kare Hedebrant and Lina Leandersson play the young leads of Oskar and Eli pretty well, they built up the chemistry between the actors decently from being strangers with a bad attitude to being friends that makes it believable. For a vampire movie there is some blood but never goes over the top. For Hakan's face make up that was done decently and horrific that you can feel his pain almost.

Great movie. I also very much like the second adaption, 'Let Me In.' I happily keep blu-ray copies of both versions.

Susan Foreman 4th May 2021 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 651331)
Now watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEsZ2yjmGfI

This is bad, not so bad it's good it's just crap. Shit acting, effects , characters and story, it has nothing going for it

That's how I remember the film from when I saw it on VHS all those years ago

Justin101 4th May 2021 09:55 AM

John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness

Last time I watched this was on a DVD, I have since bought the Blu-ray (2 years?? ago unwatched) and a used 4k from CEX last week which I watched last night. Out of the 4 Studio Canal Carpenter films, Prince of Darkness was the one I wanted to upgrade.

It looks amazing, far better than I remember.
The soundtrack is fantastic as well!
I think it's my favourite of the mid period Carpenter films, very tense and atmospheric, spooky visuals and an interesting plot involving pre-christianity evil!

Also Alice Cooper spears some poor scientist through the belly with a rusty old bike frame!

Read a review last night by someone calling it a 'Diet The Thing' and wondered if they watched the same film as me... they only scored it 3 stars so they obviously don't know what they're talking about :lol:

MrBarlow 4th May 2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 651377)

Last time I watched this was on a DVD, I have since bought the Blu-ray (2 years?? ago unwatched) and a used 4k from CEX last week which I watched last night. Out of the 4 Studio Canal Carpenter films, Prince of Darkness was the one I wanted to upgrade.

It looks amazing, far better than I remember.
The soundtrack is fantastic as well!
I think it's my favourite of the mid period Carpenter films, very tense and atmospheric, spooky visuals and an interesting plot involving pre-christianity evil!

Also Alice Cooper spears some poor scientist through the belly with a rusty old bike frame!

Read a review last night by someone calling it a 'Diet The Thing' and wondered if they watched the same film as me... they only scored it 3 stars so they obviously don't know what they're talking about :lol:

Nobody appreciates a good classic horror these days Justin, rating a film like that a 3 they may aswell slapped Carpenter in the face.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th May 2021 12:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Resident Evil (2002)

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004)

Resident Evil: Extinction (2007)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 651292)
Be careful, the soundtrack on the last three films are likely to blow your sub, it's rather loud lol.

F*ck me! You weren't kidding.

The LPCM track on Apocalypse was impressive, but when the motorbike roared into view at the beginning of Extinction in 5:1 True HD i thought the house was going to fall down...I had to turn the Yamaha amp down by -20 decibels. Scary thing is i haven't even got to the three films Justin warned me about.

I didn't think the first film picture quality wise was much improved from the dvd but it's clearly better from the second onwards.

The films themselves are all enjoyable time wasters with some impressive set pieces, fun characters and awesome creatures throughout. The Umbrella Corp base in the desert outside Vegas with zombies clamoring to get in (Extinction) i've always thought was a nice homage to Romero's Day of the Dead .

Justin101 4th May 2021 12:48 PM

It's time for a re-watch of the saga for me too I think, it's been a couple of years. The first and the 3rd are my favs but I found enjoyment in all of them, as daft as they are :D

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th May 2021 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 651388)
It's time for a re-watch of the saga for me too I think, it's been a couple of years. The first and the 3rd are my favs but I found enjoyment in all of them, as daft as they are :D

My fave by a distance is the fifth film. With the fourth the worst. Like you say there's enjoyment to be had in all of them.

Susan Foreman 4th May 2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 651377)

As I have mentioned before, Alice resurrected this gag for his live shows

MrBarlow 4th May 2021 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Child's Play. 1988.

A young boy receives a good guy doll for his birthday that is possessed by the soul of a killer.

The one that started it off the Chucky movies, director Tom Holland teamed with Don Mancini for this piece of horror/thriller from the good old 80s. Despite a bit of a slow start the tension is well built up even though Chris Sarandon tries to turn the charm he had in Fright Night to single mother Catherine Hicks. Alex Vincent plays the young Andy who wants a good guy doll only to get the one that's possessed by Brad Dourif, who transferred his soul into it after a shootout and needs a another body to inhabitant. For me this is a classic film with a great haunting background score by Joe Renzetti.

Attachment 233002

trebor8273 4th May 2021 05:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zreNh78kTjg

A highly enjoyable parody of slasher movies specifically Friday the 13. After a teenage girls mother is killed in a car accident she ends up in the slasher film camp bloodbath, she starred in after accident of a screening of the film. She and her friends have to try too survive the psychotic killer while the young woman has too deal with her mother being alive. Great parody of the 80s slashers. With some enjoyable kills and very likable cast. I found this a more enjoyable Friday the 13th than the original. :behindsofa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMoSnrd7i5c

It still has many faults , the terrible acting of Anakin the overly long pod race and jar jar ****** binks. But we have the fantastic duel of the fates lightsaber battle Qui-Gon Minn and this time round I even quite liked the Senate scenes. A lot better than the new trilogy with probably the exception of the force awakens. AT the end of the day dispite it's faults it still feels like a star wars movie something that can't be said on the whole about the new trilogy

nicholasrope 4th May 2021 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 651180)
The Dead Pool (1988)

Not my favourite of the Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry films nor the worst (Hello Sudden Impact and Sondra Locke). The Dead Pool is a little on the formulaic side with a plot sat somewhere in the middle of slasher and cop thriller.

The film has a few fun set pieces and isn't lacking in ideas, such as the car chase through San Francisco's streets where Callaghan is being pursued by a nifty remote control car, whilst Harry's visit to San Quentin brings a laugh or two. If made now it actually has a great cast in Eastwood, Liam Neeson, Jim Carrey and even Guns N' Roses in walk on parts, but on the whole The Dead Pool lacks something in comparison to Dirty Harry and Magnum Force.

Having said that tonight must be the 20th time i've watched it and i certainly prefer it to any Ryan Reynolds film with a similar name.

Could have sworn that I saw articles stating that there were rumors that Gran Torino was to be a Dirty Harry movie. To give closure or to pass the torch.

nicholasrope 4th May 2021 09:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Jersey Boys

Film based on the musical based on the story of Frankie Valli And The For Seasons. A fine film telling an interesting story with a couple of funny bits.

Sully: Miracle On The Hudson

Tom Hanks plays Sully who landed a Plane on the Hudson River. Aaron Eckhart plays his Co-Captain. Again another fine effort which focuses on the Investigation with my favorite bit being when he was able to prove his point that the recreations were faulty and the look of disdain of his friends when it was revealed that there were 17 practice attempts at the simulation.

Best Laid Plans

Not the Reece Witherspoon Film but one based loosely based Off Mice And Men where Stephen Graham is in debt and is forced to persuade the person he cares for (Adewale Akinnudye-Agbaje) to fight in Underground Cage Fights. Not bad, you did feel for Agbaje's character when he was in distress whilst fighting.

Porkies II: Next Day

Enjoyable sequel which follows the lads as they face off against a Religious Group and The KKK. Very enjoyable throwbacks to some of the funniest scenes from the 1st Porkies. In my opinion, a very under-rated film.

Demoncrat 4th May 2021 10:04 PM

Watched that Lockout, the Guy Pearce thing. Laughed a lot at Gilgun's "accent" :pound:. What a load of nonsense twas.
Does Maggie Grace do nothing but get kidnapped during her career or what? :lol::laugh:

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th May 2021 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 651468)
Watched that Lockout, the Guy Pearce thing. Laughed a lot at Gilgun's "accent" :pound:. What a load of nonsense twas.
Does Maggie Grace do nothing but get kidnapped during her career or what? :lol::laugh:

I thought it was a lot better film second time around.

Demoncrat 4th May 2021 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 651469)
I thought it was a lot better film second time around.

I may watch it sober certainly. The good neighbour wanted some solace as his family life isn't great at the moment. He asked me to pick the next film, so on went The Fog. Even as squiffy as I am, it still works. But then it does. you could pick holes in it all day long, but as a whole it works. Much like yer boy Lovecraft :pound::rolleyes:. The overall effect trounces any underlying faults.

Ahem.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th May 2021 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 651470)
I may watch it sober certainly. The good neighbour wanted some solace as his family life isn't great at the moment. He asked me to pick the next film, so on went The Fog. Even as squiffy as I am, it still works. But then it does. you could pick holes in it all day long, but as a whole it works. Much like yer boy Lovecraft :pound::rolleyes:. The overall effect trounces any underlying faults.

Ahem.

You could have claimed Lockout was a Carpenter film too. ;)

Demoncrat 4th May 2021 11:05 PM

I'll leave that for the rewatch methinks. ;)

MrBarlow 4th May 2021 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Childs Play 2. 1990.

After the events of what happened to Andy and his mum, Andy is now in foster care while his mum is in a psychiatric unit when the police don't back up their story, the Chucky doll is rebuilt and soon follows Andy.

This is a decent sequel although Catherine Hicks, Chris Sarandon and director Tom Holland didn't return. Brad Dourif returns his voice as the good guy doll Chucky, Alex Vincent reprises his role as Andy Barclay along side Jenny Argutter and Gerrit Graham as the foster parents who don't believe Andy's story till its too late and Chucky goes on his murder spree, this one seems to have more blood splatter in it than the previous film. There is different versions of this film that is longer and more content of the teacher getting killed, still a fun movie to watch.

Attachment 233041

SymbioticFunction 5th May 2021 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 651468)

I actually like Lockout. :) I love Snake Plissken and am fully on board with also owning an unofficial film. btw I'm not surprised that John Carpenter won a plagiarism case in the French courts.

Demoncrat 5th May 2021 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 651480)
I actually like Lockout. :) I love Snake Plissken and am fully on board with also owning an unofficial film. btw I'm not surprised that John Carpenter won a plagiarism case in the French courts.

Really? I did get that Escape vibe even though the box proclaims it to be Die Hard in space :lol:. Noted all the same.

Demoncrat 5th May 2021 09:22 AM

The Rohl Farm Haunting (2013)

A rural take on a certain home invasion flick, so the title is either some attempt at misdirection or they changed their minds during production :lol:

Jessica's Room (2013, Erik J Wright)

Hilarious possession caper. Cheap as chips. A film crew investigate the events that led up to 5 deaths the previous year in a suburban house. The acting is ... sub par to say the least, so I just treated it as a comedy. :nod:

SymbioticFunction 5th May 2021 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 651482)
Really? I did get that Escape vibe even though the box proclaims it to be Die Hard in space :lol:. Noted all the same.

Yeah, Luc Besson was ordered to pay around 450,000 euros to Carpenter. :) It's also worth noting that a third Snake Plissken film (which obviously unfortunately never came to be) was to be called 'Escape From Earth.' btw Kinda funny that front cover blurb about Die Hard in space when it so clearly borrows from John Carpenter.

MrBarlow 5th May 2021 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Child's Play 3.. 1991.

8 Years have passed since Andy faced Chucky for a second time, Andy now a teenager is enrolled in military school, Chucky has been rebuilt and sets out to find Andy again.

This one has always been a hit and miss with me, even though it does look like a darker chapter to the franchise with Chucky have a more creative way of killing people, just at times it feels parts can drag on at times. Justin Whalin takes over from Alex Vincent as Andy, with Brad Dourif reprising his voice as the devil doll with the red hair. Andrew Robinson appears as the military barber who seems to be a bit of a bully while cutting hair and gets his comeuppance in a good way.

Attachment 233049

MrBarlow 5th May 2021 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Willy's Wonderland. 2021.

A drifter agrees to take a job to clean up a family amusement centre and his car will be fixed, locked in the animatronics come to life and the drifter and teens who try to get him out fight for their lives.

I'm not a huge Nicholas Cage fan, only seen The Rock, Con-Air, Face/Off and the dreaded The Wicker Man, this one is a decent film he has done cos he doesn't say a word, it does show his decent acting skills at fighting. The film is daft, cheesy, stupid yet it was brilliant, the acting may not be great but the actors do try and make it entertaining.

Attachment 233080

trebor8273 5th May 2021 08:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYbW1F_c9eM

Probably still the weakest of the prequels which is thanks largely too the pacing and the cringe inducing way the romance of Anakin and Padmé is handled and the usual star wars bugbear dreadful dialog. But we have Jango Fett even if he loses his head quickly , R2 and C3PO starting there love affair , Christopher Lee whom always brings class to any role and Yoda kicking ass, thankfully a lot less of Jar Jar whom is now partially responsible for wiping the Jedi out.

Now watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkmSNt4moNg&t=11s

Inspector Abberline 5th May 2021 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 651524)
Willy's Wonderland. 2021.

A drifter agrees to take a job to clean up a family amusement centre and his car will be fixed, locked in the animatronics come to life and the drifter and teens who try to get him out fight for their lives.

I'm not a huge Nicholas Cage fan, only seen The Rock, Con-Air, Face/Off and the dreaded The Wicker Man, this one is a decent film he has done cos he doesn't say a word, it does show his decent acting skills at fighting. The film is daft, cheesy, stupid yet it was brilliant, the acting may not be great but the actors do try and make it entertaining.

Attachment 233080

You are for getting the awesome T-shirts. ..:pound:

MrBarlow 5th May 2021 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 651541)
You are for getting the awesome T-shirts. ..:pound:

:lol: my bad, how many times did he had to change T-shirts? and have about 4-5 breaks:lol: