Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th June 2021 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Vanishing (2018)

Thriller based on the 1900 disappearance of three lighthouse keepers in the Outer Hebrides, the Flannan Isles to be exact, off the west coast of Scotland.

Starring Gerard Butler, Peter Mullan and the unknown to me Connor Swindells, this was a nicely gripping tale involving gold, murder and an endlessly thickening atmosphere of psychological horror.

It's really well acted (Yes, even from Butler who's mind slowly unravels throughout) with strong violence penetrating the escalating tension in shocking style. Atmospheric from the off - lighthouses are great locations for horror and thriller movies - i'm surprised it took me so long to give this uneasy thriller a second watch.

Recommended to those like me who fell asleep watching Robert Eggers' The Lighthouse.

J Harker 17th June 2021 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 654442)
I don’t get why ppl complain this film isn’t entertaining, it’s a true story of people being killed it isn’t meant to be fun or happy, Also complaining it’s grim and disturbing if you want something more upbeat then don’t watch a horror or a true story, or watch it Hollywood style after all they make films all cheer-full and happy even it’s not meant to be, if going to potray a true story you want one that pulls you in and disturbed you as well, the style and tone of this film does exactly that, doesn’t rely on gore and has little violence etc, relies on the tone of the film being grim and bleak, occasionally hints of what’s going on and using your own imagination for the rest can sometimes work even better than what you see.

What the heck are you on about gag??

gag 18th June 2021 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 654467)
What the heck are you on about gag??

Lol :pound:

Sorry just realised I didn’t put title of the film I’ve watched oops. :pound:

Just watched snowtown.

I’ll alter it :nod:.

Inspector Abberline 18th June 2021 09:33 PM

Heat is on

6 Attachment(s)
Maybe it's the heat,but I enjoyed all of these,yes even The Hand....Demon Wind tried my patience,but dehydration and an out of body experience helped......

trebor8273 19th June 2021 08:02 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgSWhFnELiY

A young woman investigates the disappearance of her friend whom is believed to of been killed by Bigfoot , she tricks her way into giving a ride to the last person to see her friend.

As the film goes on we soon learn that the woman whom last saw her friend appears to be far more dangerous than Bigfoot. A little slow and not really a Bigfoot movie I the usual sense. We have more lesbian love scenes than anything else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wBImbHqhFk

Excellent, a deranged film director is making a film about zombies, when actual zombies start attacking but the director wants to keep shooting no matter what or does he?

As a lot of reviews say keep watching after 37 minutes , when you watch to will understand why. Well worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRXT1J0kqdY

Easily one of the best of not the best werewolf films since American werewolf . It's the story of two outsider sisters , in which one of the sisters is biting by a werewolf and becomes a sexed up vamp who begins to grow her and a tail and a taste for blood, her sister sets out too try and save her. Excellent.

Now watching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-iwm_auOCQ

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2021 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Guardian (1990)

I really like this William Friedkin directed mixture of scary babysitters crossed with folklore.

Jenny Seagrove is excellent as the mysterious nanny who turns up slightly out of the blue to become nanny to Carey Lowell and Dwight Brown's child. So far so scary nanny type film. However it's when Seagrove is observed going deep into the nearby woods that things take a sharp turn for the weirdly folkloric.

The Guardian perhaps isn't a widely seen horror film in comparison to others from the period so won't go any further into the plot other than to say it involves sacrificial rites to trees, wood nymphs and some pretty fun gore.

There's a good interview with Jenny Seagrove on the Second Sight dvd in which she says the film is daft but remains great fun all these years later.

MrBarlow 19th June 2021 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 654542)
The Guardian (1990)

I really like this William Friedkin directed mixture of scary babysitters crossed with folklore.

Jenny Seagrove is excellent as the mysterious nanny who turns up slightly out of the blue to become nanny to Carey Lowell and Dwight Brown's child. So far so scary nanny type film. However it's when Seagrove is observed going deep into the nearby woods that things take a sharp turn for the weirdly folkloric.

The Guardian perhaps isn't a widely seen horror film in comparison to others from the period so won't go any further into the plot other than to say it involves sacrificial rites to trees, wood nymphs and some pretty fun gore.

There's a good interview with Jenny Seagrove on the Second Sight dvd in which she says the film is daft but remains great fun all these years later.

This one I enjoyed viewing and seems very underrated.

trebor8273 20th June 2021 07:59 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiOuB_pZ1NE

A enjoyable mixture of comedy, horror and office backstabbing/ politics. A young man working at a corporate law firm who has just been fired is infected as is the rest of the building which make you lose your inhibitions and self control and become murderous and sex crazed , he teams up with a young woman that has been screwed by the same company and they site out to confront the board of directors which are on the top floor maming and kill and trying to stay alive as the try making there way to the top floor.

Now watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPlaCcty0-k

Justin101 20th June 2021 08:14 PM

I saw Mayhem a couple of years ago and enjoyed it, is it still streaming on Shudder?

trebor8273 20th June 2021 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 654585)
I saw Mayhem a couple of years ago and enjoyed it, is it still streaming on Shudder?

It is, I did watch it on the last drive in, but the film it's self will still be there as if they lost the rights the episode would be removed as well.

The super deep is also on Shudder was just added a few days ago, small amount I've seen enjoying it influenced by the thing by the look of it.

Justin101 20th June 2021 08:27 PM

Oh, well then I might re-watch it with Joe Bob in that case :lol: :pop2:

trebor8273 20th June 2021 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 654587)
Oh, well then I might re-watch it with Joe Bob in that case :lol: :pop2:

Sometimes he's quite interesting especially when he has guest but still a lot of angry old man rants which I suppose I appreciate more and more as get older!

Mind it's best too a vpn if you have one as a lot of episodes are missing on the uk.

As I've mentioned before both the evil speak and hellraiser 2 episodes are great and well worth a watch.

Justin101 20th June 2021 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 654588)
Sometimes he's quite interesting especially when he has guest but still a lot of angry old man rants which I suppose I appreciate more and more as get older!

Mind it's best too a vpn if you have one as a lot of episodes are missing on the uk.

As I've mentioned before both the evil speak and hellraiser 2 episodes are great and well worth a watch.

I do, It's always on (although usually to a UK server) but I can certainly change it to a US server and watch some other stuff, Shudder is owned by one of the big American studios so they can license a lot more films over there. That being said, I've not subscribed for about a year and they've completed refreshed the UK catalogue so I'll watch as many as I can for the next couple of months and then lapse the membership again :)

nicholasrope 20th June 2021 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 654541)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgSWhFnELiY

A young woman investigates the disappearance of her friend whom is believed to of been killed by Bigfoot , she tricks her way into giving a ride to the last person to see her friend.

As the film goes on we soon learn that the woman whom last saw her friend appears to be far more dangerous than Bigfoot. A little slow and not really a Bigfoot movie I the usual sense. We have more lesbian love scenes than anything else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wBImbHqhFk

Excellent, a deranged film director is making a film about zombies, when actual zombies start attacking but the director wants to keep shooting no matter what or does he?

As a lot of reviews say keep watching after 37 minutes , when you watch to will understand why. Well worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRXT1J0kqdY

Easily one of the best of not the best werewolf films since American werewolf . It's the story of two outsider sisters , in which one of the sisters is biting by a werewolf and becomes a sexed up vamp who begins to grow her and a tail and a taste for blood, her sister sets out too try and save her. Excellent.

Now watching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-iwm_auOCQ

Regarding One Cut Of The Dead, have you seen the sort of Sequel, it's over 50 minutes but it's really good?

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th June 2021 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Eye of the Needle (1981)

Based on the novel by Ken Follett, Eye of the Needle is a genuinely gripping war time set thriller starring Donald Sutherland as a German spy desperately attempting to get out of Britain and back to Germany with plans of the upcoming Normandy invasion.

At times this veers dangerously close to slasher film territory especially during the last half hour as Kate Nelligan becomes the 'final girl' hunted across a remote Scottish island by Sutherland. At other times it feels like a classy British thriller from the late forties although that illusion is frequently exposed by sex and gory murders.

Both Sutherland and Nelligan are believable and ably supported by Christopher Cazenove, although Ian Bannen (Tracking Sutherland) is sadly underused, whilst director Richard Marquand maintains suspense throughout.

nicholasrope 20th June 2021 10:06 PM

6 Attachment(s)
2 Fast 2 Furious

Paul Walker is now a Street Racer and in order to clear his record, he has to team up with Tyrese to help The Police take down a Money Launderer. Ludacris and Eva Mendes co-star. This is my favorite film of the franchise, it's such a fun film, I remember watching Hulk (Eric Bana) and I was more entertained by the opening 5 minutes of this one than Hulk. The car chases/races are thrilling and Miami was a great setting.

Warlock

Julian Sands is the Warlock who is able to escape Execution in 1891 and travel to modern day America where he is hunted by Richard E. Grant. This is still enjoyable as it was back in the day, I did think that this film might of been outdated but it isn't.

Fast And Furious 7

Jason Statham is out for revenge so Vin Diesel's group is out to stop him. At this stage, the franchise is what it is, once you get pass the absurdness (Surely if a Helicopter is shooting up L.A, you'd think The Military would be on it pronto) it's enjoyable. Again the chases are good and I did like the parachuting car scene.

Tango And Cash

Sylvester Stallone and Kurt Russell are rival Cops when they are framed by Criminal, Jack Palance. Very good Action Film, mind you that Prison had some dodgy electric wires during the escape. Realized that my 15 rated was cut, might have to get the Blu-Ray.

Space Jam

Classic Film which sees the Looney Tunes have to play a game of Basketball in order not to become Prisoners on a distant planet. Michael Jordan assists them. Still enjoy this Film and the Basketball players who had their talent stolen still the show.

Rollercoaster

Timothy Bottoms is bombing Rollercoasters and it's up to George Segal to stop him. Saw the recommendations from this thread and I enjoyed this Film. It was thrilling and Bottoms plays a really convincing bad guy.

trebor8273 20th June 2021 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 654590)
Regarding One Cut Of The Dead, have you seen the sort of Sequel, it's over 50 minutes but it's really good?

No didn't know their was one.

nicholasrope 20th June 2021 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 654593)
No didn't know their was one.

Yeah, there recently was a new Blu-Ray released and it had the original and sequel on it.

Susan Foreman 21st June 2021 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 653611)
Attachment 233751
KING KONG (1976) 3hr 15 min TV Version

Apparently there is an Easter Egg hidden somewhere on the Shout Factory release...

trebor8273 21st June 2021 05:17 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx4EdYi5hZ4

A enjoyable Russia body horror. A team is sent to secret underground facility which contact has been lost with. It's soon apparent something dreadful has happened, a type of fungal infection has infected and changed people making them bloodthirsty killers, but worse things are deeper in the base. Great practical effects.

A mixture of The Thing, alien and 70s Doctor Who, it could of done with a bit more editing and slightly shortened run time, but still worth watching.

Now watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsa9ymSDoJ0

Was going to watch one of these afterwards but havet decide which.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEg8kV2b7v4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkKv4YqMVWg

iank 21st June 2021 09:29 PM

The Rock. When Alcatraz is occupied by renegade soldiers armed with rockets filled with lethal poison, chemical weapons expert Nicolas Cage finds himself roped into going into the field for the first time - along with the only man to ever escape the prison: Sean Connery. I haven't seen this mid 90s action flick in roundabout 20 years but it remains a kick-ass load of fun. :nod::woot:

nicholasrope 21st June 2021 09:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Fast & Furious 8

Vin Diesel is blackmailed by Hacker, Charlize Theron into betraying his team. Jason Statham is then drafted to help stop him. Again when you forget all sense of realism, it is an entertaining film. The scene with the zombie cars is amazing but I feel that the films are too long though.

In The Heights

Musical based on the lives of a Puerto Rican neighborhood in New York. This was billed as the feel good movie of the year but I found it really dull, the songs weren't catchy as they felt like they were singing the script. TBH, it's completely forgettable.

Bringer Of Funerals 22nd June 2021 05:00 PM

Inglorious Basterds

I really liked this and its one that seems to be forgotten in Quentin's filmography. Most people have seen the film by now with it being 12 years old. Yet, there is 1 scene that annoyed me and that was:

When Michael Fassbender goes into the pub and starts throwing his weight around by threatening them, then he wonders why they are all eyes on him.

nicholasrope 23rd June 2021 08:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Breakdance The Movie

A couple of Street Dancers team up with a female Dancer has they battle a rival group and recognition from traditional Dance companies. This was one of Cannon's big success stories and TBH, I can see why, it tapped into a market and it gave the viewers what they wanted, which was plenty of Dance scenes. They were subtle references to sexual harassment and racism but nothing overpowering. Christopher McDonald (Happy Gilmore) co-stars along with Ice-T And I'm sure that I saw Jean Claude-Van Damme as an extra.

War With Grandpa

Robert De Niro moves in with his Daughter (Uma Thurman) therefore takes over his Grandson's Bedroom, which leads to a prank war between the two which involves their respective friends which includes Christopher Walken. This is a Film if it was shown at Cinemas would probably have been released during a School Holiday and have a couple of showings in the morning. Circumstances I'm guessing now led it to be a straight to DVD release and whilst it's silly and unrealistic, it's actually not all that bad, there's certainly a lot worse out there.

Ghost Warrior

Otherwise known as Sword Kill, this is the story of a Samurai who is killed but somehow is found by an American Research Lab and his brought back to life where he struggles to adapt to modern life and is hunted by The Lab and Police. He is helped by a Woman who was at the research facility. This could have been a Comedy but they made it to be a serious movie and whilst I did doze off (Not because of this film) I did enjoy what I saw therefore, I will go back to this soon.

Stone Cold

Brian Bosworth is a suspended Policeman who goes undercover to infiltrate a criminal biker gang lead by Lance Henrikson. An early 90's Actioner which was a target rental when it came out and it was a very decent watch again, it was short (92 minutes) didn't go on any unnecessary detours and had plenty of Action, which is what I want from this type of film.

MrBarlow 23rd June 2021 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
King Of New York. 1990.

Frank White a convicted drug lord is released from prison with one goal, to control the drug dealing and take back the streets from rival gangs to build up his empire again, a group of New York detectives stand in his way and to take him down again.

Director Abel Ferrara who can be unpredictable and never know how his films will end is able to create a character and Christopher Walken is able to bring the character to the screen as the drug lord Frank. From start to finish this is non stop utter violence which makes the film outstanding. There is a good car chase between the drug lord and police but can never match up to The French Connection even though there is a great shootout. David Caruso, Wesley Snipes and Laurence Fishburne play decent parts and Fishburne may be overacting with his death scene that kinda made me laugh a bit. This is still a great film to watch and never be bored of it.

Attachment 234181

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd June 2021 10:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Psychic (1977)

Rewatching the Severin dvd in possible anticipation of the forthcoming Shameless release of this minor Fulci film it became obvious why i remembered so little about it.

There's not an awful lot to remember. It's from what i've seen Lucio Fulci's most talky movie with little in the way of action or indeed typical Fulci set pieces of any kind.

Borrowing as much from Poe's The Black Cat, a theme he obviously liked as he'd return to it for his own loose adaptation in 1981, the story is intricately plotted but much of what came in between a gloriously graphic Fulci opening and the well thought out finale is fairly forgetful stuff.

Justin101 23rd June 2021 10:16 PM

The Child (1977)

An interesting and peculiar low budget American indie. This has some of the strangest acting I've seen for a while; and I'm here for it! There is an entire scene near the beginning, with two ladies sharing some tea and talking to each other as if there were two separate conversations happening.

Everyone is talking about 'don't go out when it's dark' either because the tramps live near the cemetery or because wild animals live in the woods, but it turns out that an unhinged pre-teen is feeding pets to her psychic zombies because she misses her dead mum.

That's pretty much all of the plot points, I enjoyed this though.

Also, was *almost* a video nasty, it was on the section 3 list which was "we probably can't get away with prosecuting this one". Some good gory special effects though!!

https://stigmatophiliablog.files.wor...mbie-fight.png

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd June 2021 10:21 PM

The Child is the only one of that set i own (Or have seen) and i quite like it. It's got that weird vibe that could never be replicated nowadays probably due to a lack of budget regional film making sort of thing.

Hopefully Arrow release it either standalone or, if you rate all the films in the box, stick it in their next sale.

Linbro 23rd June 2021 10:30 PM

'The Body Snatcher', via Shout Factory bluray.
Loved this, Karloff is so good in it. Looks and sounds great - the scene where the 'singing girl' walks down the alley, into the rain, while Karloff's horse/buggy comes up behind her, is fantastic. And of course, Karloff's shadow on the wall, when he enters the room with his grave digging gear over his shoulder...great stuff.
The dog scene genuinely shocked me and there's a classic Lewton jump scare that also got me!

Justin101 23rd June 2021 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 654746)
The Child is the only one of that set i own (Or have seen) and i quite like it. It's got that weird vibe that could never be replicated nowadays probably due to a lack of budget regional film making sort of thing.

Hopefully Arrow release it either standalone or, if you rate all the films in the box, stick it in their next sale.

I do wonder why Arrow didn't put them out by themselves before they out out the budget version of the set, they did on set one and I bought them all individually.

I just finished watching the Stephen Thrower interview, he absolutely loves this film for all of the same reasons I liked it, the miss-matched performances, the soundtrack being just weird, half romantic pianos and half nightmarish synths and the over all weird and strange tone of the film. He goes on to say that when writing his Nightmare USA book, it hinged entirely on whether he could track down the makers of The Child so that he could do a feature on it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd June 2021 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linbro (Post 654748)
'The Body Snatcher', via Shout Factory bluray.
Loved this, Karloff is so good in it. Looks and sounds great - the scene where the 'singing girl' walks down the alley, into the rain, while Karloff's horse/buggy comes up behind her, is fantastic. And of course, Karloff's shadow on the wall, when he enters the room with his grave digging gear over his shoulder...great stuff.
The dog scene genuinely shocked me and there's a classic Lewton jump scare that also got me!

One of my top five horror films. Delighted you loved it, Linbro.

I didn't actually know it had been released on blu. I shall be watching it on Christmas Eve in HD now i know that's for sure.

Linbro 23rd June 2021 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 654751)
One of my top five horror films. Delighted you loved it, Linbro.

I didn't actually know it had been released on blu. I shall be watching it on Christmas Eve in HD now i know that's for sure.

Pretty sure it's Region A locked, can check for you if you like.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd June 2021 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linbro (Post 654752)
Pretty sure it's Region A locked, can check for you if you like.

Thanks, it's okay as i'm all region for blu.

Graveyard 24th June 2021 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 234197

Spiral (2021)

Spiral it's your drinking game movie for 2021 - every time Chris Rock tries to put a serious face you should have a shot - probably you will be drunk after 30 minutes and you can enjoy the rest of the movie.

Jokes aside - it's bad, I like the saw franchise, it went downhill after the 3rd, but 8 movies it's impossible to keep the quality - but this one is just dull, the traps are boring, the gore is too clean, the story we saw it before like 300 times.

Avoid, at all costs, unless you want to get drunk.

nicholasrope 24th June 2021 10:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Fast & Furious 9

The gang minus Hobbs and Shaw are back this time, they have to stop Dom's brother from stealing a weapon. It's definitely in the category of if you like the previous movies, you'd probably like this one. If not, then it's more than likely best to forego this one.

Breakdance 2: Electric Boogaloo

The original trio are back and this time they are trying to save a youth center from being demolished. Again they didn't over-complicate things with the script (which they didn't need too) and they did more elaborate routines (however I hate it when they include unnecessary background characters in the songs/dances) not bad but the 1st one is better.

Also a pet peeve of mine is when they rename a film on the cover (Breakdance) but the original title (Breakin') is in the credits.

Warlock: The Armageddon

Julian Sands is reborn and it's up to some modern Druids to stop him. After watching the 1st few minutes, I thought it was a film that was given the Warlock name but it appears to be a legit sequel. THIS FILM IS AWFUL, it's probably one of the worst films, I've seen in a while. It looks like a TV movie with worse effects than the original. Julian Sands does make a convincing Warlock though.

Justin101 24th June 2021 10:12 PM

Weird, I was going to watch Breakdance 2 tonight, but I watched that 'unearthed' Romero film on Shudder, The Amusement Park, wish I watched the Cannon film instead :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th June 2021 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 654802)
Fast & Furious 9

The gang minus Hobbs and Shaw are back this time, they have to stop Dom's brother from stealing a weapon. It's definitely in the category of if you like the previous movies, you'd probably like this one. If not, then it's more than likely best to forego this one.

I was so disappointed by Hobbs and Shaw that i really have no interest in seeing anymore Fast and Furious movies.

I despised it. Took it to Cex the day after watching it and they gave me £8 of my £10 spent back.

MrBarlow 24th June 2021 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 654804)
Weird, I was going to watch Breakdance 2 tonight, but I watched that 'unearthed' Romero film on Shudder, The Amusement Park, wish I watched the Cannon film instead :lol:

Did you find The Amusement Park disturbing or was that just me?

MrBarlow 24th June 2021 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 654807)
I was so disappointed by Hobbs and Shaw that i really have no interest in seeing anymore Fast and Furious movies.

I despised it. Took it to Cex the day after watching it and they gave me £8 of my £10 spent back.

That's what happens when someone's ego gets way to big and does a spin off without any help from Vin Diesel and the end product sucks

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th June 2021 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 654812)
That's what happens when someone's ego gets way to big and does a spin off without any help from Vin Diesel and the end product sucks

I was really looking forward to seeing it. I love most Dwayne Johnson action flicks and all Jason Statham ones. How could they **** it up so badly?