Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Frankie Teardrop 1st June 2012 06:27 PM

DON'T OPEN THE DOOR - Humid 70s claustrophobia from SF Brownrigg. Less gurningly hysterical than '... Basement', but still heavy on sweaty, moody atmos. Follows a woman who returns to home town '13 years later', ostensibly to nurse sick grandmother... thankfully, a psycho phone predator with a creepy doll fixation and a rip-off MO from 'Black Xmas' lurks in and around her old, dark house. Although some may yawn through the build up, when brooding menace intertwines with soapy melodrama, the final act is a crescendo of trippy dread the likes of which were only ever possible within the confines of that era of grindhouse cinema. Whether you twiddle your thumbs or gawp entranced will entirely depend on your stance towards this kind of film making. I wish Brownrigg's other films were available in worthwhile versions - the PQ on this one from VCI is pretty good.

nekromantik 2nd June 2012 10:48 AM

Saw Prometheus at the BFI IMAX yesterday and OMG it was amazing!
Best movie since Dark Knight!

People need to go in thinking its a new movie, new world and new mythology and not go in thinking its going to be Alien 4 as it is not and is a very different movie BUT it is related story and theme wise to Alien. Ridley has been saying it has strands of Alien DNA but it is not a alien movie which is true but it contains more then strands of DNA thats for sure! It was a all out amazing film and the end made me almost wet meself!!!

The imagary and Gieger art was awesome and the 3D worked really well and was not over used at all! It brought up a lot of questions which it did not answer but thats the reason they said it will be a new trilogy.

Wont spoil it but its a AWESOME ending! Some people wont like end as the way it finishes but its got me so excited. The hype WAS worth it!

:clap: to Ridley Scott!

9/10

Nordicdusk 2nd June 2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 246923)
I've just watched 'Super 8'

Typical Spielberg film - don't trust the government (in this case, the Air Force), dysfunctional families, children riding bikes, told from a child's point-of-view, no kids get killed

but...it was highly enjoyable, and highly recommended

No kids get kill ......But it was enjoyable.. You seem disappointed that no kids got killed:lol:

Susan Foreman 2nd June 2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 246923)
I've just watched 'Super 8'

Typical Spielberg film - don't trust the government (in this case, the Air Force), dysfunctional families, children riding bikes, told from a child's point-of-view, no kids get killed

but...it was highly enjoyable, and highly recommended

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 247168)
No kids get kill ......But it was enjoyable.. You seem disappointed that no kids got killed:lol:

Not disappointed, it's just that it's become a classic Spielberg cliche!

Gojirosan 2nd June 2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 247168)

I was very disappointed that the annoying brats in Super 8 didn't get killed!

:lol:

Nordicdusk 2nd June 2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 247171)
I was very disappointed that the annoying brats in Super 8 didn't get killed!

James Morton 2nd June 2012 01:07 PM

saw about 45 mins of the Brit film THE LIVING AND THE DEAD on the horror channel and got very bored with it
saw some hilarious stuff, about 10 mins or so as I was channel hopping with the very overrated and flawed, and also unaccurate THE QUEEN:o
what a piece of this shit this was, but found it cheesy and funny, even my girlfriend was giggling at the film
last night saw the uncut MANIAC COP on the horror channel and really enjoyed this, last time I saw this I think was on video:)

Gojirosan 2nd June 2012 01:19 PM

The Stuff - 1985 USA D: Larry Cohen

Lovely to finally see a clear, clean widescreen version of this excellent satire. Larry Cohen is the king of this kind of...ahem...stuff. The dialogue is clearly the work of a master screenwriter and often made me laugh out aloud. As a horror sideswipe at consumerism it is rather overshadowed by Romero's Dawn Of The Dead, but it's a brilliant film that doesn't deserve to be overlooked. Paul Sorvino and Garrett Morris are just hilariously excellent.

Snowtown - 2011 Australia d:Justin Kurzel

Mostly accurate and utterly harrowing true crime film. Extremely clever use of photography (the colour seems to intensify through the film as the evil intensifies), and far more "arty" than I expected. Really brilliant, with astonishing performances from the actors.

Hawkmonger 2nd June 2012 03:51 PM

Cropsy- I'm going to be having nightmares for the next week. B+
Harrowing stuff. :eek:

Frankie Teardrop 2nd June 2012 06:04 PM

MUTANT GIRLS SQUAD - Excellent Japanese splatter-actioner sees a teenager join an underground sect of mutant terrorists after she grows a weird clawed hand for her 16th birthday. For me, probably the best of its ilk since 2008's 'Tokyo Gore Police': many other examples of the slapstick - hard gore template coming from Japan in recent years have put me off by just being too silly. What we need is some really bleak, soul searingly perverse ero-guro, but these latter day transgressive exports seem to have found comedy blood and guts a more marketable approach. Anyway, this is really good and shifts from Pythonesque blood letting to cloying sentimentality to jarring cruelty with grace and poise, and never seems incoherent or overwhelmed by its manic weirdness and violence.
DON'T DELIVER US FROM EVIL - More teens into wanton cruelty. Loosley based on Parker - Hulme: less involving than 'Heavenly Creatures' on a basic character / psychology level, but entrancing as a whole and in some places shocking. Clearly a very personal film for its first time director, but sold as exploitation by maverick distributor Anthony Balch when it showed in Brtitain in the early seventies (I cannot believe this was certified uncut by the BBFC at the time, but apparently it was... dunno how it'd fare these days).