Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

MrBarlow 19th July 2021 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 656160)
You'd have to pay me to sit through 2001 again!

2001 ain't that bad, just the end part was confusing :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th July 2021 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 656161)
If, O lucky man, Britannia hospital isn't it?

Yes, that's Lindsay Anderson's Mick Travis trilogy and all three films are brilliant. I've seen them many times and thoroughly enjoy him.

Dave Boy 20th July 2021 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 234741
THE EXTERMINATOR (1980)

Not seen this in quite a while , so good to give it a spin again.
Stan Winston's effects still look good. I remember my brother saw it on release and mentioned the decapitation sequence when he came back.
I remember being at the cinema and they had a standee of the Exterminator from the poster. Me and my mates were talking about going to try and sneak in and see it but it we never did.

iank 20th July 2021 09:28 PM

Night of the Creeps. 30 years after an alien landing, an infested corpse held in cryogenic suspension is accidentally let loose and zombie-creating alien parasites are soon on the prowil. This mid 80s comedy-horror is something of a cult fave but I wasn't all that impressed to be honest. It's okay, but feels a bit undercooked to me and certainly pales next to the likes of Return of the Living Dead and Night of the Comet IMO.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st July 2021 07:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Humanoids from the Deep (1980)

A second viewing of the 88 Films Blu-Ray after i read the in depth cover story on it in The Dark Side a couple of issues back. I must admit i never noticed any of the 'mirror' shots or any of the other technical tricks director Barbara Peeters said were used in the climactic attack by the humanoids on the pier festival.

Humanoids from the Deep is one of the best horror films from the eighties even if it does rip off other films such as Alien at times. (What about Planet of the Vampires, Mr. O'Bannon). Doug McClure, Ann Turkel and Vic Morrow head a decent cast and the film has a terrific early score from the legendary film composer James Horner. Peeters directs the film assuredly and it goes at a gallop. The additional scenes of gore and sex that producer Roger Corman filmed give the movie an almost video nasty edge that spice things up nicely and for me help make this the exploitation classic that it is. Take them away and you have the unremarkable but entertaining tv movie which Corman produced in 1996.

Demoncrat 21st July 2021 09:51 AM

Fatal Instinct (1993, Carl Reiner)

Armand Assante, Sean Young and Sherilyn Fenn take the wee out of Fatal Attraction and Basic Instinct (and a few more :lol:) in this amusing spoof. Hadn't seen this in years, I'm glad to report it still works :nod:
Ned Ravine has his hands full what with a full caseload and the odd femme fatale setting her sights on him. All in a days work for your average lawyer/policeman :laugh:

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st July 2021 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 656241)
Fatal Instinct (1993, Carl Reiner)

Armand Assante, Sean Young and Sherilyn Fenn take the wee out of Fatal Attraction and Basic Instinct (and a few more :lol:) in this amusing spoof. Hadn't seen this in years, I'm glad to report it still works :nod:
Ned Ravine has his hands full what with a full caseload and the odd femme fatale setting her sights on him. All in a days work for your average lawyer/policeman :laugh:

Can you believe i saw this at the cinema on a date? :lol:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st July 2021 12:10 PM

Shaun of the Dead looked fecking amazing in 4k!:scared:

Btw do we have a dedicated 4k UHD thread?

If not,shall we start one? :eyebrows:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st July 2021 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 656237)
Humanoids from the Deep (1980)

A second viewing of the 88 Films Blu-Ray after i read the in depth cover story on it in The Dark Side a couple of issues back. I must admit i never noticed any of the 'mirror' shots or any of the other technical tricks director Barbara Peeters said were used in the climactic attack by the humanoids on the pier festival.

Humanoids from the Deep is one of the best horror films from the eighties even if it does rip off other films such as Alien at times. (What about Planet of the Vampires, Mr. O'Bannon). Doug McClure, Ann Turkel and Vic Morrow head a decent cast and the film has a terrific early score from the legendary film composer James Horner. Peeters directs the film assuredly and it goes at a gallop. The additional scenes of gore and sex that producer Roger Corman filmed give the movie an almost video nasty edge that spice things up nicely and for me help make this the exploitation classic that it is. Take them away and you have the unremarkable but entertaining tv movie which Corman produced in 1996.

Spot on mate.:clap:

A bonafide cult classic along with GALAXY OF TERROR.:nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st July 2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 656219)
Attachment 234741
THE EXTERMINATOR (1980)

Not seen this in quite a while , so good to give it a spin again.
Stan Winston's effects still look good. I remember my brother saw it on release and mentioned the decapitation sequence when he came back.
I remember being at the cinema and they had a standee of the Exterminator from the poster. Me and my mates were talking about going to try and sneak in and see it but it we never did.

I remember those standees.Our local video hole used the same type of prop when they first released it on vhs,which no doubt came from a cinema.
It stood imposingly in his widow display.
You should’ve sneaked in and blagged it......:lol:

nicholasrope 21st July 2021 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 656227)
Night of the Creeps. 30 years after an alien landing, an infested corpse held in cryogenic suspension is accidentally let loose and zombie-creating alien parasites are soon on the prowil. This mid 80s comedy-horror is something of a cult fave but I wasn't all that impressed to be honest. It's okay, but feels a bit undercooked to me and certainly pales next to the likes of Return of the Living Dead and Night of the Comet IMO.

Gave it a go but gave up early on, the cheap Alien costumes and the way the scene set in the 50's was filmed, I realized it wasn't for me.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st July 2021 10:44 PM

Criterion's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD on the 4k player.

As in Barr's Irn Bru......

ORIGINAL AND BEST.;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st July 2021 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 656280)
Criterion's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD on the 4k player.

As in Barr's Irn Bru......

ORIGINAL AND BEST.;)

Which is he best blu of Night of the Living Dead. Best as in picture and sound quality. Extras not necessary.

nicholasrope 21st July 2021 10:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Escape Room: Tournament Of Champions

Survivors from previous Escape Rooms are again placed in Escape Rooms where they try to survive. It's more of the same really and I believe that the makers think that they are being clever but don't pull it off. TBH, I would have liked it if they had explained how the company running it are able to pull it off apparently in New York without no-one noticing.

Mermaids

Set in the 60's, this film sees the story of Cher and her Daughters, Winona Ryder and Christina Ricci as they move to a small town and encounter relationships and crushes. Bob Hoskins co-stars. I really liked this one, it was fun and has a good soundtrack.

Black Widow

Following on from Captain America: Civil War sees Natasha Romanoff try to take down the person responsible for her training. Yeah instantly forgettable and TBH, the next 2 films in the Marvel Universe don't intrigue me either.

Maximum Overdrive

Stephen King Directs Emilio Estevez in the story machines turning crazy and killing people. The reviews for this one aren't favorable however this is one of those films where I can't understand why, I found it to be completely enjoyable, great opening sequences.

Final Round

1994 B-Movie take on The Running Man which sees Lorenzo Lamas kidnapped and then hunted by sadistic killers. This is one of those, it is what it is type of movies, the kind you know whether you like it or not by looking at the cover.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st July 2021 10:59 PM

Criterion hands down mate.Incredible pic and sound.
The museum of modern art funded the transfer and it will blow you away.

Also come with a second disc of extras.
Buy it.
Watch it.
Come back and say...
Reaper you weren't kidding!:nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st July 2021 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 656286)
Criterion hands down mate.Incredible pic and sound.
The museum of modern art funded the transfer and it will blow you away.

Also come with a second disc of extras.
Buy it.
Watch it.
Come back and say...
Reaper you weren't kidding!:nod:

:thankingyou: There's a couple of Criterions i'd like (Midnight Cowboy, Dazed and Confused) so the next time Amazon knock a few pounds off i'll order the three. They regularly knock em' down to £13

MrBarlow 21st July 2021 11:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Toll. 2020.

Cami takes a Uber from the airport to visit her family, Spencer her driver follows his GPS up a different stretch of road, when the car breaks down they realise its the least of their problems when they are being tormented by a supernatural threat.

This is like The Blair witch without the found footage and going in circles and we actually see the threat, low budget psychological horror with one or two jumps scares and urban legend type story created by the writer and director. It does start off slow but does build the characterisation up well with the two main actors, best watched in the dark.

Attachment 234775

MrBarlow 22nd July 2021 02:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane. 1976.

13 year old Rynn lives in a quiet town, claiming that her poet dad is there with her who nobody sees, Mrs Hallet who Rynn rents the house from wants to know everything about her, Rynn also finds out her son Frank who visits the house is a pervert, but Rynn has secrets of her own.

This one I have somehow avoided as it didn't really appeal to me but Shudder have on there and thought why not...this was a little gem that I should have watched before now. Jodie Foster does have the makings of a sociopath in this and even at the end giving a blank expression while someone dies in front of her. Martin Sheen plays Frank who is the landlady's son and something of a predator in this and half expecting him to meet his maker and finally it happens. Probably back in the day it may have been a horror but it's more chiller/thriller now and entertaining.

Attachment 234776

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd July 2021 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 656296)
The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane. 1976.

Bought this in their last sale along with River's Edge.

Still haven't got round to watching it. (Nor River's Edge)

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd July 2021 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Phantom of the Opera (1943)

By far the worst of the Universal Monster movies, Phantom is practically redundant as a horror film and the great Claude Rains suffers from barely being in the middle third despite being the star of the show as the masked phantom who haunts a Paris opera house. Instead we get Nelson Eddy and Edgar Barrier bumbling about attempting to woo lovely Susanna Foster.

Having said that the chandelier sequence remains a classic slice of grand guignol and the classic Universal sets and sound stages look terrific in stunning high definition.

I'm biased about Phantom. I don't like any of the movies made other than the 1925 silent version and Dario Argento's slasher style reinterpretation.

Justin101 22nd July 2021 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 656289)
:thankingyou: There's a couple of Criterions i'd like (Midnight Cowboy, Dazed and Confused) so the next time Amazon knock a few pounds off i'll order the three. They regularly knock em' down to £13

Dazed & Confused is one of their £26 ones so you won't get a bargain on that one unfortunately but it's a great disc, I paid full price for it. Has a really comprehensive booklet.

Night... is one of the cheaper ones though, it's often reduced, either 2 for £25 or similar, well worth it, the picture quality is top notch, worth grabbing Carnival of Souls too. Knocks the socks off the Network discs for both films :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd July 2021 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 656305)
Dazed & Confused is one of their £26 ones so you won't get a bargain on that one unfortunately but it's a great disc, I paid full price for it. Has a really comprehensive booklet.

Night... is one of the cheaper ones though, it's often reduced, either 2 for £25 or similar, well worth it, the picture quality is top notch, worth grabbing Carnival of Souls too. Knocks the socks off the Network discs for both films :)

Cat People is another i want.

Justin101 22nd July 2021 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 656308)
Cat People is another i want.

That one looks fantastic as well!
There has only recently been a Criterion multi-buy offer so it might be a couple of months for the next one, but I'm sure they did one around late Sep/early Oct last year.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd July 2021 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 656289)

MIDNIGHT COWBOY is another must......

HMV are doing 20% off Criterions mate.....;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd July 2021 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 656247)
Btw do we have a dedicated 4k UHD thread?

If not,shall we start one? :eyebrows:

Yes, there's one here:

https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/gen...ay-thread.html

MrBarlow 23rd July 2021 12:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Mummy. 1959.

In 1895 a small expedition find the tomb of Egyptian Princess Ananka and accidentally awaken the her High Priest. 1898 back in England The High Priest is seeking revenge with help of a follower.

This was another great piece from Hammer Horror with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing with Terence Fisher at the helm, nobody would win a academy award for this but you can't help notice the colourful sets of the tomb and the interiors of the houses and the gloomy atmosphere over the bog at the end of movie. Even the climatic end always made me sit on the edge of my seat no matter how many times I watch it.

Attachment 234806

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd July 2021 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Matrix Revolutions (2003)

Considering how good the original Matrix film still is, it's such a pity that it's two sequels, made to expand on the story are such messes. This final film to date is pretty appalling for it's first hour, seemingly rehashing the plot of the second film.

It's far too talky and the talk is inane nonsense. It's only in the second hour and the attack on Zion by millions of Sentinels does it become anything more than merely watchable. Even then it's simply a CGI space battle which although spectacular lacks any excitement.

I hope the fourth film, out later this year, focuses on the characters and grounded combat as in The Matrix rather than CGI madness because they'll never outdo Marvel when it comes to chucking planets at one another.

iank 23rd July 2021 09:39 PM

10 To Midnight. Charles Bronson faces off against a sicko serial killer in this early 80s flick that mixes police thriller with slasher horror. An interesting and entertaining effort, though Bronson is fairly unlikeable himself - although we know who the killer is straight off, when Bronson first plants evidence to frame him (which fails and gets him off, and then sends him after Bronson's daughter) he really has very little reason to be that convinced he's guilty! :scared::confused::nono:

MrBarlow 23rd July 2021 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Green Inferno. 2013.

A group of college students head out to save the Amazon Jungle and encounter a small village of cannibals.

I have always held off watching this and just watched it on Shudder, was Eli Roth trying to make a homage to Umberto Lenzi and Ruggero Deodato with their cannibal flicks we know and love? In some parts it seemed ok and other parts was Eli trying to introduce laughter and less tension cos that didn't really work for me at all, once seen and may not be seen again.

Attachment 234861

MrBarlow 24th July 2021 12:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Curse Of The Crimson Altar. 1968.

Robert Manning receives a letter from his brother and goes to a quiet English village and stops at a manor house where his brother was last seen, the owner tells him he has never heard of his brother and invites him to stay, Robert feels that something is not quite right.

This may not have the best played out plot but does have two male horror icons Boris Korloff and Christopher Lee who do share some screen time together, even though Christopher Lee states this is one role he has hated playing. With both icons in one scene you don't really know which one is more sinister than the other. Barbara Steele plays the witch who was burned at the stake and seeks revenge who's appearances have always brought joy to the screen. It does have it's sinister gothic look and a man says he has torture instruments...that will be the que to get out of dodge. Apart from the weak plot this was enjoyable.

Attachment 234862

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th July 2021 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tenebrae (1982)

Seeing this on Blu-Ray for the first time was like watching it for the first time. So much so that i'd actually forgotten the ins and out's of the story as well as who the killer was (Thankfully).

Dario Argento's direction is inspired, not only with the beautifully gory splatter of blood, or the famous camera climbing the walls technique but in so many other ways too such as the gripping chase as a Doberman pursues a hapless victim, not to mention some surreal scenes on a beach which only make sense come the finale. Then there's the reveal of a character (No spoilers) completely hidden, stood behind another character, which even though so simple to do looked superb and proved a genuine shock reveal.

Anthony Franciosa is excellent as thriller writer Peter Neal, caught up in a murderous web with close associates meeting violent ends as you try to guess what brutalities Argento will throw at you next, all the time accompanied by a sublime score by Goblin.

Seeing Tenebrae again was a breath of fresh air. I absolutely loved it.

Nordicdusk 24th July 2021 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 656430)
The Green Inferno. 2013.

A group of college students head out to save the Amazon Jungle and encounter a small village of cannibals.

I have always held off watching this and just watched it on Shudder, was Eli Roth trying to make a homage to Umberto Lenzi and Ruggero Deodato with their cannibal flicks we know and love? In some parts it seemed ok and other parts was Eli trying to introduce laughter and less tension cos that didn't really work for me at all, once seen and may not be seen again.

Attachment 234861

I hated this i only watched it the once and the humour parts just didnt work for me and ruined the whole film.

MrBarlow 24th July 2021 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 656478)
I hated this i only watched it the once and the humour parts just didnt work for me and ruined the whole film.

Seeing a guy in a cage with other people tugging and talking about stress relief doesn't really belong in a cannibal film unless it's a parody, that's what ruined the film for me, suppose in the same situation we may loose control of our bowels a bit but Amy must have been holding in a few days worth. I did laugh at how they planned on escaping cos you know it would never work.

Nordicdusk 24th July 2021 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 656480)
Seeing a guy in a cage with other people tugging and talking about stress relief doesn't really belong in a cannibal film unless it's a parody, that's what ruined the film for me, suppose in the same situation we may loose control of our bowels a bit but Amy must have been holding in a few days worth. I did laugh at how they planned on escaping cos you know it would never work.

I kept thinking maybe i should revisit it just to give it another chance but when i think of scenes like you just mentioned i dont think i can handle it :lol:

MrBarlow 24th July 2021 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 656481)
I kept thinking maybe i should revisit it just to give it another chance but when i think of scenes like you just mentioned i dont think i can handle it :lol:

They are forever etched into my brain :pound:

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th July 2021 10:57 PM

I quite liked The Green Inferno. Then again, i'm not the biggest fan of cannibal movies. I won't be upgrading any of them to Blu-Ray.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th July 2021 01:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Vamp (1986)

Pretty dismal horror comedy which felt like it was from the same universe as Fright Night yet lacking any of that 1985 films thrills.

Part frat comedy and part horror supposedly set in a sleazy LA strip club, you know the type, so sleazy that the strippers don't actually strip, and following a fun slightly gory vampire kill by Grace Jones... well, that's about it as far as gore was concerned.

Sure Vamp is lively enough but it falls short of being funny comedy or quality horror. As a first time viewing this was a disappointment.

nosferatu42 25th July 2021 02:47 PM

I remember not being very impressed with Vamp when it first came out on VHS, i rewatched it recently and liked it a little better, but it's still no classic in my eyes.:pop2:

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th July 2021 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ben-Hur (1959)

Outstanding historical / religious epic starring Charlton Heston as Judah Ben-Hur, a Jewish merchant from Judea betrayed by former friend, the Roman, Messala (Stephen Boyd) and sent to be a slave in the galley of Roman Consul Quintus Arrius (Jack Hawkins), who he wins the favor of in an attack by Macedonian pirates by saving his life.

Taken back to Rome by Arrius, Ben Hur becomes an outstanding charioteer who some time later returns to Judea and ends up racing Messala in a chariot race... the rest as they say is history, or at least Bible history.

Even now, sixty two years later Ben Hur is some achievement. William Wyler's film sports a cast of thousands of extras and stunning sets with the chariot race the action center piece, an action sequence that cost $1m to make even then. It's remains a thrilling spectacle, filmed by men and horses and you can really tell during the fifteen minutes it's on screen. Today even with the best CGI you simply couldn't achieve the same sense of realism.

The sea battle is also a stand out, although having watched this earlier today (and the chariot race) on the original 1925 silent original version of Ben Hur i can state that the silent version of the sea battle is actually more spectacular and certainly more violent. For the record, the silent chariot race is almost as good as Wyler's, when you consider they didn't have the filming techniques or equipment back in the mid 1920's that really was some achievement.

Ben Hur isn't a perfect film, not by any stretch of the word. At 3h 44mins it's far too long and I find the first quarter extremely talky and not very interesting. Some of these scenes could have been shortened considerably without losing anything from proceedings.

Yet it remains a classic of cinema history and always will do. Seeing it on Blu-Ray was pretty special. Every frame beautifully restored, so even when the mind might have wandered the eyes were continuously transfixed on the screen.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th July 2021 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Love Ban (1973)

Hywel Bennett and Nanette Newman simply can't stop shagging, unfortunately it means they have a house full of brats due to Bennett's Catholic beliefs, so Newman, sick of being lumbered with six kids in eight years, bans sex.

Pretty soon Bennett's fantasies take over and he begins to see every pretty girl he meets naked when he shuts his eyes.

A reasonable premise but not especially funny, for it is a comedy, nor is it particularly sexy. The idea of Maddie Smith playing one of Bennett's fantasies certainly was of interest except it wasn't Smith who appeared naked, wasn't anyone who actually looked like her either other than having long brown hair.

Milo O'Shea as a priest who kept visiting became annoying although Nicky Henson lit up all his scenes and there was a fun extended cameo from John Cleese taking an adult class about birth control.