Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th September 2021 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 659431)
The Doll Of Satan. 1969.

Eilzabeth has just inherited a castle from her Late Uncle, she is persuaded to sell it and decides to hang on to it but strange things begin to happen.

This was a blind watch for me and had no idea what I was going into, typical giallo, eccentric Uncle, distant relative and a house in the middle of nowhere...what can go wrong? Thing I have learned is if you are offered a creepy place don't stay the night, run fast run far. I don't get the jist of this one except someone doing a bit of chemistry in the basement and a criminal on the loose, will say this Erna Schurer was a beautiful lady, and Roland Carey is able to get help from a German Shepherd dog. Re-watch will be due again.

Attachment 236277

I ordered this a couple of hours ago.

Why couldn't you have just said it was ****ing brilliant? :lol:

MrBarlow 15th September 2021 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 659433)
I ordered this a couple of hours ago.

Why couldn't you have just said it was ****ing brilliant? :lol:

and being hunted down by you with a lighted torch and pitchfork for saying it no thank you :pound:

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th September 2021 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 659435)
and being hunted down by you with a lighted torch and pitchfork for saying it no thank you :pound:

In all fairness i read what others had said about it beforehand. I know it's no classic but i think i'll still enjoy it.

Besides it's something i haven't seen before. I get a bit fed up buying things i already own so this is pretty cool.

MrBarlow 15th September 2021 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 659437)
In all fairness i read what others had said about it beforehand. I know it's no classic but i think i'll still enjoy it.

Besides it's something i haven't seen before. I get a bit fed up buying things i already own so this is pretty cool.

To be honest it's not that bad, I'm sure we all have seen worst giallo movies, was thinking earlier (yes it's dangerous for me to think, I know) has anyone released The Red Monks? That is a film I wouldn't mind adding to my collection.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th September 2021 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 659438)
To be honest it's not that bad, I'm sure we all have seen worst giallo movies, was thinking earlier (yes it's dangerous for me to think, I know) has anyone released The Red Monks? That is a film I wouldn't mind adding to my collection.

I have that on dvd from a cheapo UK company called Shriek Films and it looks pretty good upscaled.

MrBarlow 15th September 2021 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 659440)
I have that on dvd from a cheapo UK company called Shriek Films and it looks pretty good upscaled.

I had the Hardgore release from Poundland but seemed to be edited badly

MrBarlow 15th September 2021 10:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Way Of The Dragon. 1972.

Tang Lung arrives in Rome from Bong Kong to help a friend out who's resraunt business is being targeted by ruthless gangsters.

Bruce Lee stars in his only writing and directorial feature film with one of the great fight scenes with Chuck Norris for a final showdown, it does show his comedic side with a small boy and a ice cream cone. There are some scenes that seem funny which are not really meant to be intentional but the fight scenes are well choreographed.

Attachment 236281

MrBarlow 16th September 2021 12:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Big Boss. 1971

Cheng who is a city person arrives at a small village to work with his cousins in a ice factory, when members of his family start to disappear, Cheng begins to suspect the manager has something to do with it.

The film that catapulted Bruce lee from tv stardom to international star with his style of Kung-Fu and acting that made him the legend he is still remembered by. Everyone needs their breaking starring store but I have always felt this wasn't a good movie, the fight scenes are awesome to watch but the pace of the film does seem to drag on at times, the film did get criticised I think for the amount of blood that was shown in a few kills, the birth of the dragon began here.

Attachment 236283

Justin101 16th September 2021 08:28 AM

I've never seen a Bruce Lee film, which seems crazy to me considering how much I love Jackie Chan (the new Bruce Lee). I was going to import that Criterion box set when it was reduced but never got around to it, perhaps I will in the next 50% sale.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th September 2021 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 649932)
The Banishing. 2020.

A young reverend and his wife and daughter move into a house with a supernatural past.

This was meant to be about the most haunted house in England in 1930s, it's more like the most non suspenseful film about a haunted house, the suspense is built up then it's like the enemy in The Neverending Story...Nothing. I have no idea how Sean Harris got persuaded to be in this film, he should have ran fast and ran far, even I feel embarrassed about watching it.

Attachment 232600

Ouch! I was looking at this in Asda the other day and was tempted to buy it.

MrBarlow 16th September 2021 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 659471)
Ouch! I was looking at this in Asda the other day and was tempted to buy it.

It's 90 odd minutes of your life wasted save your pennies for something else Dem.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th September 2021 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 659473)
It's 90 odd minutes of your life wasted save your pennies for something else Dem.

Pity. I rather like Jessica Brown Findlay.

Justin101 16th September 2021 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 659473)

Buy sweets :lol: that's what I usually do...

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th September 2021 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 659478)
Buy sweets :lol: that's what I usually do...

That's one thing i never buy. I do like to have a large Dairy Milk knocking around and Wotsits and Monster Munch and also humbug style mints for walking but rarely ever buy sweets.

Dave Boy 16th September 2021 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 659377)
Superman. 1978.

For those that were able to see it at the cinema back in the day now I know how you felt, this was amazing to see and hear.

Oh yes. I saw it here.. (Guildford)

Attachment 236300

Fantastic! My mum bought me the double album soundtrack after from WHSmiths. When I wander through the store now, I always think of that time and where the records used to be. "sigh"

MrBarlow 16th September 2021 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 659477)
Pity. I rather like Jessica Brown Findlay.

That's what drew my attention to the film was the cast but the plot was a failure.

Demoncrat 16th September 2021 06:20 PM

Watching Munchausen with the comm, illuminating stuff. :nod:

MrBarlow 16th September 2021 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fist Of Fury. 1972.

Chen Zen returns to Shanghai and discovers his mentor has died, the local Japanese martial arts school show up at the funeral and insult the Chinese and start bullying. Chen discovers his mentor was posioned and goes on a one man war against the Japanese pupils and their master.

Second film for Bruce Lee and second collaboration with Director Wei Lo from The Big Boss, watching this is like a period film dictating Shanghai only to find most of it was shot in a studio, the set pieces look fantastic. This is also the first film we see Bruce Lee using his nunchakus while fighting a dojo full of pupils, as soon as he pulls them out they may as well admit defeat. There is some racial content that was added by the director which caused disagreements and the last collaboration between the star and director, again the fight scenes are awesome.

Attachment 236307

MrBarlow 16th September 2021 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Enter The Dragon. 1973

Lee is hired by a government agency to investigate a man called Han who is hosting a fighting tournament and may be a poium dealer. Two other Americans Williams and Roper are entering the tournament for other reasons.

This film may be the inspiration for Mortal Kombat, Bloodsport, The Quest and other films about a fighting tournament held every so often, but this is more entertaining. Bruce Lee in his best and final film stars alongside Jim Kelly and John Saxon, all who have sadly passed away. Right from the start this is fast paced with great fighting scenes and different styles of fighting is used, the climatic fight between Bruce lee and Kien Shih is always amazing to watch in the room of mirrors.

Attachment 236312

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th September 2021 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Two Evil Eyes (1990)

Two genre legends in George A Romero and Dario Argento team up to make a couple of tales from the master of the macabre Edgar Allan Poe in The Facts in the Case of Mr. Valdemar (Romero) and The Black Cat (Argento)

A match made in heaven surely?

Well, not really. At around an hour each the stories are padded and too long, especially in Romero's case as his kill him for the money story becomes tedious, Argento fares slightly better thanks to a good showing from Harvey Keitel as Rod Usher (A bit of mix and matching going on there) and some classy directorial flourishes from the director as well as fun gore that divert from the predictability of it all.

I watched this on dvd for the first time in years to see if i wished to upgrade to Arrow's Blu-ray some time in the future. I don't.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th September 2021 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alien (1979)

A tolerable effort from Ridley Scott that takes more than a passing nod to Mario Bava's Planet of the Vampires (1965).

Has it's moments but doubtful it will stay in the memory. ;)

I remember seeing this for the first time on holiday in Anglesey. I was staying with the owners of the B&B we'd visited a few times in the past whilst my mum and dad went out. It was a Sunday night and the World Cup final was on the same evening in 1982 between Italy and West Germany. I'm not entirely sure if Alien was on tv or was a video rental - three year after it's cinema release wasn't really the thing in those days but i can't be sure. Anyway it made for a terrific evenings viewing for a ten year old, a world cup final and a classic sci-fi horror film.

Looks lovely on Blu-ray by the way.

J Harker 17th September 2021 07:04 PM

I've always found Scott's original the weakest of the main series. Apart from maybe Covenant.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th September 2021 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 659551)
Alien (1979)

A tolerable effort from Ridley Scott that takes more than a passing nod to Mario Bava's Planet of the Vampires (1965).

Brilliant use of understatement and sarcasm, Dem!

I can't remember when I saw Alien for the first time, but I've never heard the phrase "here, Kitty" without thinking of Harry Dean Stanton's last moments in the film.

Did you watch the theatrical or director's cut?

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th September 2021 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 659553)
Brilliant use of understatement and sarcasm, Dem!

I can't remember when I saw Alien for the first time, but I've never heard the phrase "here, Kitty" without thinking of Harry Dean Stanton's last moments in the film.

Did you watch the theatrical or director's cut?

Director's cut, Nos.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th September 2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 659552)
I've always found Scott's original the weakest of the main series. Apart from maybe Covenant.

I know what you mean. I think 3 and Resurrection are more fun. I'm always underwhelmed by Aliens though. I'll give the shorter theatrical cut a go sometime soon.

I've always liked AVP. I find it a fun action movie but Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem borders on unwatchable during it's second half. Prometheus was great but i thought Covenant an absolute mess.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th September 2021 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 659558)
Director's cut, Nos.

I prefer the theatrical cut as I don't think the director's cut adds anything essential and actually detracts from the film, making it a bit baggy, less taut and suspenseful.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 659559)
I know what you mean. I think 3 and Resurrection are more fun. I'm always underwhelmed by Aliens though. I'll give the shorter theatrical cut a go sometime soon.

I've always liked AVP. I find it a fun action movie but Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem borders on unwatchable during it's second half. Prometheus was great but i thought Covenant an absolute mess.

Although it is not objectively a great film, with some clear issues due to studio interference, I have a soft spot for Alien³ and the re-cut version with extra footage is a pretty good sci-fi-horror.

I like Resurrection as it's good fun and very watchable, one I like much more than Aliens. All that said, Ridley Scott's first film is the best and my personal favourite.

gag 17th September 2021 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 659551)
Alien (1979)

I remember seeing this for the first time on holiday in Anglesey. I was staying with the owners of the B&B we'd visited a few times in the past whilst my mum and dad went out. It was a Sunday night and the World Cup final was on the same evening in 1982 between Italy and West Germany. I'm not entirely sure if Alien was on tv or was a video rental - three year after it's cinema release wasn't really the thing in those days but i can't be sure. Anyway it made for a terrific evenings viewing for a ten year old, a world cup final and a classic sci-fi horror film.

Looks lovely on Blu-ray by the way.

Or local vue cinema showing Alien I’m tempted to go and watch it on big screen.

Demoncrat 17th September 2021 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 659552)

:laugh:

To be fair I've always seen the film from 1979 in a different light to the ones that followed, this had a lot to do with my loathing of sequels in general, something I've gotten over from :laugh::rolleyes:
I'm still very fired up from that KJ doc tbh.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th September 2021 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 659566)
Or local vue cinema showing Alien I’m tempted to go and watch it on big screen.

I'd love to see Alien at the cinema. If I were you, I would go because it might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

gag 17th September 2021 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 659568)
I'd love to see Alien at the cinema. If I were you, I would go because it might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

I checked It was tonight, but also showing on a mond and also showing Aliens as well on a Wednesday so yes might go see both.

J Harker 17th September 2021 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 659559)

I didn't think Covenant was quite that bad but it didn't feel like it really had a purpose. AVP is great but Requiem was painful. I didn't last longer than 20 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th September 2021 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Killers (1964)

I found this hitman thriller from Don Siegel pretty disappointing. Despite starring Lee Marvin, Angie Dickinson, John Cassavetes, Ronald Reagan and Clu Gulager, the opening acts dragged with not enough Marvin and too much motor racing.

Sadly Marvin and Gulager, the killers of the title, are underused and it hurts the film. By the time Reagan and Cassavetes get round to pulling off a robbery of a mail truck the film is nearly over and all we've really witnessed was car racing and a lot of chatter about dames.

It's possible that i don't get on with Ernest Hemmingway who wrote the original story to this as i also didn't rate his Gary Cooper starring Spanish Civil War epic For Whom the Bell Tolls either. Although the last half hour of The Killers was an improvement on what came before.

Although Arrow's Blu-ray looked splendid i found the PCM Mono soundtrack grating at times with incidental music that drowns out everything else.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th September 2021 09:59 AM

Have you seen the 1946 version of The Killers, Dem? It's vastly superior to the 1964 adaptation of Hemingway's novel.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th September 2021 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 659580)
Have you seen the 1946 version of The Killers, Dem? It's vastly superior to the 1964 adaptation of Hemingway's novel.

No i haven't. Too be honest i can't see myself going out of my way to watch it either. It's still Hemingway and presumably it's all told in flashback as that version was.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th September 2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 659582)
No i haven't. Too be honest i can't see myself going out of my way to watch it either. It's still Hemingway and presumably it's all told in flashback as that version was.

It is told in flashback and the story is very similar. However, with Burt Lancaster and Ava Gardner in the main roles and great direction, music, and cinematography, it's a brilliant film noir that anyone who likes to watch a moody, noir-ish drama should enjoy.

If this trailer piques your interest, try and find a cheap release or stream somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq_gx...el=thecoolidge

trebor8273 18th September 2021 04:03 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tC_5mp3udE

A classic, with so many great characters and quotable lines. When I first started watched , thought this is the worst looking 4k film ,I've seen until I released its the tv commercials and news and that's how it's supposed too look. I'd buy that for a dollar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGhpQWhlzsw

This was a bore fest apart from the last 15 minutes or so when we have some bloody kills and a deranged killer. A film which the films poster / artwork gives a totally different feeling to what you watch. Really felt like a poor soap opera for most of its runtime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOc01_Ty1eQ

If you can get past Charlie Sheen cast as a radio astronomy , we have a enjoyable sci-fi adventure which Sheen's character discovers a mysterious signal from space,not long after he his fired and his friend and co-worker is murdered. He goes seeking answers and discovers that aliens are slowly terrorforming the earth to make it their own.

Up later . Which will be first time viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weO_jdrlRHQ

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th September 2021 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Piranha II: The Spawning (1981)

Most people seem to think this is bonkers and just a little bit crap, however to me it's no different to many other fish creature B-movies from the time and is superior to slog fests like Up from the Depths (1979) and Demon of Paradise (1987).

It's helped by having Lance Henriksen in the cast and some fun special effects work from the legendary Giannetto De Rossi and it remains to this day the best film ever made about flying killer piranha.

The 88 Films Blu-ray looks perfectly decent for what it is, pity about there being no extras though.

MrBarlow 18th September 2021 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tower Of Terror. 1997.

In 1939 Five people enter the Hollywood Tower Hotel lift and disappear, 60 years later burned out reporter Buzzy who creates fictional news to get the headlines and his niece are asked to investigate the now abandoned hotel and discover the truth.

If you want something light, family comedy horror and the guy who use to be funny in Police Academy before bowing out of the franchise and now stars in bad ass movies and Kirsten Dunst then this may be for you. This was made by Disney so you know the scary bits will be mild and very little jump scares but it did help pass some time by, looks like another Halloween film to add to October.

Attachment 236361

MrBarlow 18th September 2021 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Boys of The City. 1940

Street kids are sent to the countryside to a relatives house and are involved in a murder, a judge hiding from the mob and ghosts.

The East Side Kids cause mayhem for themselves and those they encounter around them, this time they are away from the city to a quiet spot in the mountains and uncover a body and try to find out who dunnit and get scared at the creepy organ music being played. Why haven't a studio gave these a upgrade and released them?

Attachment 236362

trebor8273 18th September 2021 09:18 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sohklCKkjV0

Absolutely brilliant , it ranks up there with the likes of The Godfather parts 1&2, Scarface, Goodfellas and Casino. Brilliant performances from both Pacino and Pean. Even though you knew from the beginning it's going to end badly , I found myself still hoping it is would end well for him. Not afraid to say I had a tear in my eye at the end.

It might of just been me but Peans character reminded me of the lawyer in GTA 3.