Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st September 2021 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 659746)
So I watched Old (2021, M Night Shamlayan).

Sorry, D, but i can't imagine FrankieT picking up any pointers from you when it comes to reviewing. :laugh:

MrBarlow 21st September 2021 09:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Red Letters. 2019. (aka A Satanic Plot)

After seeing a dash cam footage of a police officer entering a building and never to be seen again, two paranormal investigators are hired to look into the case with one of them being a medium.

From the start this seemed to have potential, and will admit the acting may not be great, but half way through some parts just dragged on for 10-15 minutes to the point of a cigarette and coffee were needed and felt like I didn't miss a thing, how I managed to get to the ending must have been a achievement. this lacked any tense moments for the big finale.

Attachment 236395

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st September 2021 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Boston Strangler (1968)

Not sure what i thought of this. After seeing director Richard Fleischer's excellent and similarly themed 10 Rillington Place (1971) last Christmas i was expecting a lot from this but i was a little underwhelmed and felt it was a movie that lacked any edge of the seat moments.

For a film populated by some classy actors such as Henry Fonda and George Kennedy it never really pulled me in. It's certainly watchable and Tony Curtis proves he can act the serious stuff as serial killer Albert DeSalvo aka The Boston Strangler, but Fleischer never really allowed it to get seedy, especially as it holds an 18 certificate to this day here in the UK. The aforementioned 10 Rillington Place was a far more affecting and chilling film and British serial killer John Christie didn't murder and sexually violate women with foreign objects in that one.

I'll also mention that the film has some quite bizarre uses of split screen photography throughout.

nicholasrope 21st September 2021 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 659334)
The Aftermath. 1982

Two astronauts return to earth after a year in space only to discover the earth was involved in a nuclear war, with a gang running the street, a band of people try to survive their onslaught and mutants.

Calling this a B movie may be a insult to other B movies, big man Sid Haig plays Cutter who runs the gang the pillages places and kills those he finds alive for sport mostly men. Steve Barkett writes and directs this film and also plays the main lead who finds survivors and tries to help them with Cutter and his minions. This is one of those films that is sooo bad yet somewhat good. with the homage of Planet Of The Apes and The Omega Man.

Attachment 236249

I'm sure that this is due for a UK release

nicholasrope 21st September 2021 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 659510)
Two Evil Eyes (1990)

Two genre legends in George A Romero and Dario Argento team up to make a couple of tales from the master of the macabre Edgar Allan Poe in The Facts in the Case of Mr. Valdemar (Romero) and The Black Cat (Argento)

A match made in heaven surely?

Well, not really. At around an hour each the stories are padded and too long, especially in Romero's case as his kill him for the money story becomes tedious, Argento fares slightly better thanks to a good showing from Harvey Keitel as Rod Usher (A bit of mix and matching going on there) and some classy directorial flourishes from the director as well as fun gore that divert from the predictability of it all.

I watched this on dvd for the first time in years to see if i wished to upgrade to Arrow's Blu-ray some time in the future. I don't.

Completely agree with this, such a disapointment

Demoncrat 21st September 2021 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 659747)
How was it? worth a watch?

I'm nae spoiling nithing for naebody wi that ain.
Ahem.
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.

Enjoy. :nod: *.

gag 21st September 2021 10:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 659755)
I'm sure that this is due for a UK release

Remember owning this on vhs , cover was better as usual :lol:

Demoncrat 21st September 2021 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 659753)
The Boston Strangler (1968)

Not sure what i thought of this. After seeing director Richard Fleischer's excellent and similarly themed 10 Rillington Place (1971) last Christmas i was expecting a lot from this but i was a little underwhelmed and felt it was a movie that lacked any edge of the seat moments.

For a film populated by some classy actors such as Henry Fonda and George Kennedy it never really pulled me in. It's certainly watchable and Tony Curtis proves he can act the serious stuff as serial killer Albert DeSalvo aka The Boston Strangler, but Fleischer never really allowed it to get seedy, especially as it holds an 18 certificate to this day here in the UK. The aforementioned 10 Rillington Place was a far more affecting and chilling film and British serial killer John Christie didn't murder and sexually violate women with foreign objects in that one.

I'll also mention that the film has some quite bizarre uses of split screen photography throughout.

It's an odd beast. I was quite gripped the last time I watched it, but was watching a lot giallo at the time ....

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st September 2021 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 659760)
I'm nae spoiling nithing for naebody wi that ain.
Ahem.
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.

Enjoy. :nod: *.

Doubtful. The last M. Night Slimyone film i watched was The Happening and that was terrible.

Demoncrat 21st September 2021 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 659763)
Doubtful. The last M. Night Slimyone film i watched was The Happening and that was terrible.

The Marky Mark one? It's hilarious. His cameo in this one really takes the biscuit factory tbh ...

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st September 2021 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 659762)
It's an odd beast. I was quite gripped the last time I watched it, but was watching a lot giallo at the time ....

It didn't help that they caught him with forty minutes to go i guess.

I did laugh when Fonda slugged a guy (no spoilers) in the police station and George Kennedy looks at him disapprovingly. "We don't do that in the police force anymore" he whines.

No of course not George. You were just pissed Fonda did it first.:lol: It's akin to Lee Marvin tutting at on screen violence in movies.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st September 2021 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 659764)
The Marky Mark one? It's hilarious. His cameo in this one really takes the biscuit factory tbh ...

Reminds me. I must revisit Signs some day.

Pure comedy gold. I saw it in the cinema and proper laughed out loud at the car/ tree scene.

'Normal' folks probably thought i was deranged.

Demoncrat 21st September 2021 10:17 PM

Ah, we're a happy family.

Find it in Poundland in 18 months and indulge. It's utterly HIM. ;):nod::lol:

MrBarlow 22nd September 2021 12:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Conjuring:The Devil Made Me Do It. 2021

In 1981 after a exorcism in Connecticut, The Warrens try to help a young man on trial for a killing who they believe was possessed.

I know this has had some flack to be boring, uninteresting, daft, pointless etc, to be honest I actually enjoyed this, ok it does lack it's tense moments from the first two and very little jump scares and does mention the case of Michael Taylor from 1974. I have only seen short clips of the story but never really looked into it but can't really say what is real and what part is Hollywood make believe. This is one I will go back and watch again.

Attachment 236399

MrBarlow 22nd September 2021 01:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A Quiet Place Part II.2020

The Abbott family now venture outside where the horrors await them.

After the other shitty movies I have watched I thought a break would never come but it did with this film, we get the jist at the start how the creatures came to be on earth and what a way to make a entrance...just glad I didn't have a coffee in my hand otherwise i'd be wearing it :lol: It does have some good tense moments and who says kids are never resourceful. If you liked the first one then this is worth a watch.

Attachment 236400

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd September 2021 01:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Brotherhood of Satan (1971)

Aside from one very eerie dream sequence and a good performance from Strother Martin i just can't get excited about this film.

The whole thing felt like a prequel to a parallel universe Children of the Damned with it's bonkers plot of a coven of satanists transferring their souls into children during one final satanic ritual.

Having said that, the film is well photographed especially in the secret hall / room where the ritual takes place, the coven is beautifully realised, but the harsh truth is i simply never found it creepy, scary, gripping or especially interesting.

The Cat O' Nine Tails (1971)

I'm slowly coming round to this film after years of contempt. I was always disappointed that one very stylish early death aside it lacked the usual Dario Argento flamboyance in it's murder set pieces.

Starring Karl Malden as a blind man (There'd be whining and death threats about lack of diversity from the social media virtue signalers if this happened nowadays) who teams up with reporter (James Franciscus) to catch a killer driven by a chromosome imbalance who is killing the staff of a roman research hospital.

This remains one of Argento's weaker efforts from his directing heyday but it still has it's moments, with Malden and Franciscus having a good repartee and the story striking that fine line between mystery and psycho thriller.

Justin101 22nd September 2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 659799)
The Cat O' Nine Tails (1971)

I'm slowly coming round to this film after years of contempt. I was always disappointed that one very stylish early death aside it lacked the usual Dario Argento flamboyance in it's murder set pieces.

Starring Karl Malden as a blind man (There'd be whining and death threats about lack of diversity from the social media virtue signalers if this happened nowadays) who teams up with reporter (James Franciscus) to catch a killer driven by a chromosome imbalance who is killing the staff of a roman research hospital.

This remains one of Argento's weaker efforts from his directing heyday but it still has it's moments, with Malden and Franciscus having a good repartee and the story striking that fine line between mystery and psycho thriller.

I feel like the social justice would be about the murderer's motivations rather than a man with full sight playing a blind man, but I get where you're coming from :lol:

I like Cat... but it is fairly low-key compared to ALL of Dario's other work. Nice soundtrack though.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd September 2021 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 659800)
I feel like the social justice would be about the murderer's motivations rather than a man with full sight playing a blind man, but I get where you're coming from :lol:

Now you're being ridiculous. Finding that out would mean having to watch the film. They won't have time for that when there's the whole world desperate to read their faux outrage on the next subject that has jackshit to do with them.

Justin101 22nd September 2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 659806)
Now you're being ridiculous. Finding that out would mean having to watch the film. They won't have time for that when there's the whole world desperate to read their faux outrage on the next subject that has jackshit to do with them.

Obviously they would have found out about it after watching someone's review of it on Tiktok :lol:

:behindsofa:

MrBarlow 22nd September 2021 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo. 1977

Two pilots smuggle sacks of coffee beans from South America to the U.S. with three migrate workers, unaware a sack is carry some deadly spiders crashes in a small town. When deaths begin to occur the local doctor thinks the deaths are a snake bite but soon uncovers the real enemy.

Made for T.V. Movie released a month after Kingdom of the spiders that makes it a bit more believable and we don't have to put up with William Shatner's acting. This wasn't too bad of a film, nobody seems to over act anyone, Pat Hingle and Claude Akins show off their acting while battling the arachnids. Tom Atkins plays one of the pilots in a small role unfortunately he didn't have more screen time, at least this film shows how to immobilize spiders, worth a glance.

Attachment 236411

MrBarlow 22nd September 2021 11:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Devil's Rain. 1975.

A satanic cult leader burned at the stake 300 years ago returns to find a family who have the book of souls he requires to fulfill his destiny of bringing hell on earth.

This was a strange one, it starts off with The Preston Family of Ma and Pa and their son Mark played by William Shatner panicking about Corbis played by Ernest Borgnine and a amulet that can protect him. He goes out and stuff happens and his mother is nowhere to be seen, Pa Preston strung, he goes to Corbis and weird shit happens then goes to Tom Preston played by Tom Skerritt and his wife Julie who has visions and half way through things are told in a vision/flashback.

This is basically low budget which was funded by a mob and the director Robert Fuest had two makes to make it, give the guy a chance and it could have been decent which is why it's on Roger Ebert's hated list, does this guy like anything? it's decently paced, can't get atmospheric at times and obviously stunt performers lacking or they went for one who can make falling down the stairs laughable. Not sure if anyone has seen it but I enjoyed it.

Attachment 236424

MrBarlow 23rd September 2021 01:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Trace. 2012. (aka The Ancient Gate)

A group of friends try a recording of a EVP session while saying a demonic entity's name and realise a door has opened for it.

Looks like bad horror movies on YouTube strikes again for me, the start of the film made it look interesting and wonder why the guy at the start and why he decided to end his life...I only made it 40 minutes into this movie and by then I was begging for everyone to die quickly. If you want a decent film about EVP re-visit White Noise 2005, run from this one.

Attachment 236425

Susan Foreman 23rd September 2021 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 659812)
Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo. 1977

Two pilots smuggle sacks of coffee beans from South America to the U.S. with three migrate workers, unaware a sack is carry some deadly spiders crashes in a small town. When deaths begin to occur the local doctor thinks the deaths are a snake bite but soon uncovers the real enemy.

Made for T.V. Movie released a month after Kingdom of the spiders that makes it a bit more believable and we don't have to put up with William Shatner's acting. This wasn't too bad of a film, nobody seems to over act anyone, Pat Hingle and Claude Akins show off their acting while battling the arachnids. Tom Atkins plays one of the pilots in a small role unfortunately he didn't have more screen time, at least this film shows how to immobilize spiders, worth a glance.

Back in the late 70's, ITV used to show a 'family friendly' horror-based TV movie early in the evening on a Saturday, and I can remember watching this one at the time

Demoncrat 23rd September 2021 08:41 AM

Watched The Stuff with the LC comm. Quite informative about Cohen's methods whilst filming.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd September 2021 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 659825)
The Devil's Rain. 1975.

A satanic cult leader burned at the stake 300 years ago returns to find a family who have the book of souls he requires to fulfill his destiny of bringing hell on earth.

This was a strange one, it starts off with The Preston Family of Ma and Pa and their son Mark played by William Shatner panicking about Corbis played by Ernest Borgnine and a amulet that can protect him. He goes out and stuff happens and his mother is nowhere to be seen, Pa Preston strung, he goes to Corbis and weird shit happens then goes to Tom Preston played by Tom Skerritt and his wife Julie who has visions and half way through things are told in a vision/flashback.

This is basically low budget which was funded by a mob and the director Robert Fuest had two makes to make it, give the guy a chance and it could have been decent which is why it's on Roger Ebert's hated list, does this guy like anything? it's decently paced, can't get atmospheric at times and obviously stunt performers lacking or they went for one who can make falling down the stairs laughable. Not sure if anyone has seen it but I enjoyed it.

Attachment 236424

I was going to watch this myself last night but instead opted for Robert Hartford Davis' Corruption.

I think Severin brought it out on blu at some stage but i have the dvd from Dark Sky Films which is excellent quality all round.

trebor8273 23rd September 2021 05:48 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeU4UlDWfKI

A know it was mauled at release and nearly bankrupt George Lucas , but I've always enjoyed it, it's so silly and fun, one of the best marvel films made, think it's actually the first film based on a marvel character, that wasn't a tv movie. The 4K release looks really nice, with good level of details and colours.

Now watching, Which is my first time watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWdZVtXT7E

MrBarlow 23rd September 2021 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lucky Ghost. 1942. (aka Lady Luck)

Two friends down on their luck win a the jackpot in a game of dice and wind up at a sanitarium that's used as a illegal gambling den and have to contend with beautiful women, jealous gangsters and ghosts.

This one does start off a bit slow with the two friends played by Mantan Moreland and F.E. Miller then build up to a good comedy horror with a talking skeleton. The film does raise a eye brow with Moreland gambling and trying to cheat and steal but it's all in good humour with some good realistic settings of the graveyard and the inside of the sanitarium.

Attachment 236438

MrBarlow 23rd September 2021 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cry Of The Werewolf. 1944

Celeste, a daughter of a famed New Orleans gypsy woman carries a secret, she can turn into a werewolf and tries to protect the family secret.

I can't recall seeing this, three years earlier Larry Talbot graced the screens with the great acting by Lon Chaney Jr, here Nina Foch takes the lead as the young Princess Celeste who kills to protect the family name and secret. This was very dark, atmospheric and has it's good tense moments, at 63 minutes this was enjoyable even though one or two bits seem to drag, one i'm happy to watch again.

Attachment 236440

nicholasrope 23rd September 2021 09:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Respect

Biopic of Aretha Franklin detailing her life from Childhood to becoming one of the legendry Singers of all time. Jennifer Hudson and Forest Whitiker star with Marc Maron and Marlon Waynes co-staring. I found it informative as I didn't know too much about her back story however I did find it a bit too long for my liking.

Boys Next Door

Charlie Sheen in a early role in which he and his friend go on a rampage over the weekend. Interesting and entertaining Film with the opening credits being some of the strongest I've seen in a while.

MrBarlow 24th September 2021 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Living Ghost. 1942.

Retired detective Nick Trayne is called out when a rich banker is kidnapped only to turn up in a zombie like state and goes to find the ones responsible.

This was a odd ball movie, the first part does have its comical witty sense of humour with some funny exchanges between the stars and when the body re-appears some part seem to drag on a bit, but does have it's good plot line twists. James Dunn has had a good career in film and television but he he is one of those actors who you either hate or love in some of the things he has done, enjoyable enough but not the best who dunnit flick.

Attachment 236467

trebor8273 24th September 2021 08:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWdZVtXT7E

Have too say at nearly 3 hours was expecting this too be quite slow burning and maybe a little boring, but it was surprisingly fast paced ,the earth is slowly dying but a man is giving a chance to save his family and the human race , when a worm hole is discovered orbiting Saturn. Well acted and directed with some great effects, reminded me 2001 in someways. A mixture of space a d time travel with the central theme of the importance of family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdGICDHHndo

Enjoyable if not great little tale of a group of FBI agents that are transporting a prisoner and come under attack from a group zombie convicts that have the unique ability to travel in/trough concrete.

Now watching , which will be the last horror I'll watching until October marathon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqvPviqbb4c

MrBarlow 24th September 2021 08:57 PM

Where did you get Route 666 from Trebor? not seen that little number for a few years

trebor8273 24th September 2021 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 660000)
Where did you get Route 666 from Trebor? not seen that little number for a few years

It's on Amazon prime movies

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th September 2021 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 660000)

I picked it up on dvd cheap a few years ago. Thought it was terrible.

Don't the ghosts come out of the road or something?

MrBarlow 24th September 2021 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 660006)
I picked it up on dvd cheap a few years ago. Thought it was terrible.

Don't the ghosts come out of the road or something?

If I remember it...I think they do, old prisoners that haunt the road

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th September 2021 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 659998)

Now watching , which will be the last horror I'll watching until October marathon.

I'm at that stage too. I've really tried to not watch much horror this month but have been a bit unsuccessful.

I'll try and make sure i don't watch any Sunday to Thursday. Can't really say about tonight and Saturday. :lol:

I know if i can hold off until Friday Oct 1st i'll be desperate to watch horror then sit there looking at the to-watch pile for hours trying to decide what to watch.

gag 24th September 2021 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 660010)
I'm at that stage too. I've really tried to not watch much horror this month but have been a bit unsuccessful.

I'll try and make sure i don't watch any Sunday to Thursday. Can't really say about tonight and Saturday. :lol:

I know if i can hold off until Friday Oct 1st i'll be desperate to watch horror then sit there looking at the to-watch pile for hours trying to decide what to watch.

Still be a lot bloody quicker than trying to find something on streaming sites like Netflix, shudder, prime etc. :lol:

Frankie Teardrop 25th September 2021 10:40 AM

THE SOUND OF VIOLENCE – An experimental musician with powers of unusual synaesthesia gets into brutality in a big way when the sounds of it fuel her visions and give her weird compositions a certain edge… well, there is definite intrigue in the concept! Boneheaded, audacious and nasty, TSOV looks and feels like a true latter day exploitation flick for its better part, but unfortunately it does lose something along the way. A slight bagginess of tone creeps in and it doesn’t quite go for the jugular in the way I wanted. Petty gripes maybe, I just wanted it to do more of what it does, and its handful of crazed set pieces, no doubt its raison d’etre, are uniquely satisfying when they arrive – who could argue with the scene in which a harp is rigged to perform as an instrument of torture at an exhibition? Argento couldn’t top the idea (although he’d probably film it better). Worth checking out, and a re-watch from me at some point.

IN A GLASS CAGE – Agusti Villaronga’s journey into the dark night of the soul, and not something that you would describe as anything other than ‘a grim watch’. It’s a treatise on the mechanics of abusive relationships that centres on a former Nazi experimenter, now confined to an iron lung following a suicide attempt, who makes a pact with his intense new support worker. IAGC takes on some dark themes and shows us a few hard-to-watch images, but then strangely wraps all this awfulness in such heightened visual confectionery that you wonder whether it’s really more interested in capturing the exquisite sight of a lush scarlet cape fluttering down a darkened stairwell (for example) than the profound dissection it otherwise seems to want to undertake. But, a spiritual emetic in the vein of ‘Salo’, and, well, ‘harrowing’.

THE BORROWER – John McNaughton’s a director who’s never quite got his due. This is a stark switch away from the grind of ‘Henry’, and almost seems a little unlikely at first, being ostensibly agreeable nineties schlock about an alien sentenced to life on earth as punishment for undisclosed extra-terrestrial transgressions. Alien guy is not very friendly, and his schtick involves him decapitating his victims so that he can ‘wear’ their heads as his own. ‘The Borrower’ rises above the clunkiness of its period of genre filmmaking by demonstrating a sharpness of wit and some wry social commentary, plus there is a kind of lean, sparse feel to it, and an eccentricity. There’s also a few dabs of prosthetics and gore here and there, not too many, but what it shows is pleasing nonetheless and hooks into my era-specific nostalgia. Overlooked and available for rediscovery courtesy of the newish blu-ray.

Demoncrat 25th September 2021 11:18 AM

As always ... :hail::hail::hail:

Currently trawling through Alantutorial myself, so IAGC would be light relief at the moment ahem :lol::rolleyes:

Frankie Teardrop 25th September 2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 660023)
As always ... :hail::hail::hail:

Currently trawling through Alantutorial myself, so IAGC would be light relief at the moment ahem :lol::rolleyes:

Ha ha, Resnick rules! Found 'This House..." genuinely quite creepy myself.