Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th December 2021 05:32 PM

December 10th

1 Attachment(s)
Popcorn (1991)

A class of film students hold an all night horrorthon at an ornate old movie theater find themselves stalked by a disfigured psycho avenging the loss of his face.

The plot is standard slasher stuff albeit with some nice gooey practical effects with the killer reminiscent pf Dr. Phibes but it's the films playing on the festival screen that take this in a slightly different direction evoking the gimmicky movies made by William Castle and the students brilliant attempts to recreate them for their audience in the stalls.

For the film Mosquito we have a large mosquito prop sent across the audience with pulleys, electrified seats for Attack of the Amazing Electrified Man and so on. It's recreated with affection by writer Alan Ormsby and director Mark Herrier.

What doesn't work so well, at least for me, were the lengthy segments of the films that we saw. They went on forever and really took me out of the actual slasher story due to their goofiness. It's okay showing the odd scene but i reckon a third of Popcorn's run time was spoof scenes playing out on the cinema screen.

Although Popcorn is okay, it didn't come close to other similar movie theater set films like Demons and Midnight Movie as far as gripping horror goes.

:xmasnuts::xmasnuts: / 5

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th December 2021 10:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Downton Abbey (2019)

Not exactly Cult Labs material, but boy, does this look superb on Blu-ray.

A joy for the eyes to take in.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th December 2021 09:14 AM

I watched The Last Matinee last night on Ving synd blu ray.
Very Argento/Bava/Soavi orientated,gory and suspenseful.

A director to watch in the future.

Highly recommended for those who love their slasher films.:santanukem:

Demoncrat 12th December 2021 09:35 AM

Noted R!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th December 2021 06:18 PM

December 11th

1 Attachment(s)
Doom Asylum (1987)

Comedy horror that is neither funny nor scary about a disfigured lawyer murdering stereotypical kids in the abandoned asylum where he was once held.

Honestly this is terrible. The dialogue, which hits us like force ten monologues from every dumb character, is monotonous drivel spouted by one and all to nobody whatsoever as they tramp around the abandoned building waiting to be killed off. It really doesn't help that none of the cast can act, including Sex and the City's Kristin Davis, but the situations they are deployed really doesn't give them much of a chance.

For example. Davis walks into a room sees the lunatic with the disfigured face wielding a drill, screams and runs away. Er' no. She shuts the door, walks towards the killer then sits in a chair directly in front of him, all the time talking f*cking rubbish. So the killer walks up to her and drills her jaw away from her skull. (Probably just to shut her up)

The killer himself spends his time seemingly watching Tod Slaughter films on a loop in his dingy lair when he's not dipping girls heads into acid baths. When you realise the film is only 77 minutes long the lengthy Slaughter inserts are clearly there to bulk out the run time.

It's absolutely nuts and only partly in a good way. The best thing Doom Aslyum has going for it are some hugely impressive practical gore sequences that Lucio Fulci would be proud of. Added to the fact it's shot on film it makes Doom Asylum appear a far better movie, at least aesthetically, than it has any right to be.

:psychosanta::psychosanta: / 5

nicholasrope 12th December 2021 10:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
West Side Story

Steven Speilberg Directed version of the Musical which sees the rivalry between The Jets and Sharks., which is complicated by a Romeo & Juliet style romance. This is the 1st version, I've seen and I rather enjoyed it.

Must admit, I had flashbacks of Adam Sandler singing "I Feel Pretty" from Anger Management and TBH, I felt that this was a stronger 12A, wondering just how close it was to being a 15?

Case Of The Bloody Iris

Weird Giallo Film in which a woman escaping some sort of Cult moves into a Complex where several women were murdered. Reminded me of Sliver (Without the voyeurism) No really sure what to make of this one.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th December 2021 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jamaica Inn (1939)

Alfred Hitchcock's final film before he set off for Hollywood really doesn't feel like one of his productions. I think it's the presence of producer and star Charles Laughton who gives one of his over indulgent bloated performances that many 'actors' in Britain did at that time (See Todd Slaughter for another example).

It's also the least of Hitchcock's three Daphne Du Maurier films, Rebecca (1940) and The Birds (1963) being the other two, but that's not to say Jamaica Inn isn't good. It is. I like it a lot.

The wrecking scenes are well done giving the film some authenticity whilst Maureen O'Hara in her debut role gives a spirited and versatile performance. It's also safe to say that the magnificent O'Hara would never look this unkempt on screen again.

Probably due to Laughton's scene stealing Leslie Banks as innkeeper Joss Merlyn feels underused especially when he's the real main character of Du Maurier's work.

Laughton himself is actually fine once you get used to him. He's big, bold and boisterous and very theatrical both vocally and in his movements. Slightly over bearing to begin with (He's more subdued thankfully in James Whale's The Old Dark House) but he soon totally owns every scene and i quite like him, he also does 'creepy' very nicely as he attempts to flee Cornwall with the captive O'Hara as they are pursued by the militia in a gripping swashbuckling finale.

Demoncrat 13th December 2021 08:24 AM

New York Ninja (1984/2021)

Vinegar Syndrome did an amazing job with what they had here. The voice actors they got just adds to the fun. You might think you know where this one is going, but never say never ahem.

PS I love the band in Doom Asylum :rockon:

Susan Foreman 13th December 2021 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 664385)
Downton Abbey (2019)

Not exactly Cult Labs material

It's psychotronic by association!

For example:
  • Creator, writer and executive producer Julian Fellows also wrote 'Gosford Park' which was released by Arrow Academy
  • Hugh Bonneville appeared in 'Mary Shelley's Frankenstein', 'Tomorrow Never Dies', Burke And Hare' and the 'Paddington' films
  • Jim Carter was in 'Flash Gordon', A Company Of Wolves' and 'Transformers: The Last Knight'
  • Maggie Smith was in 'The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie', 'Murder By Death' and 'Clash Of The Titans'
  • Penelope Wilton was in 'Shawn Of The Dead', 'The Borrowers' and 'Doctor Who'
  • Imelda Staunton was in 'Harry Potter', 'Psychoville' and 'Doctor Who'

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th December 2021 11:40 AM

Watched the Oz zombie epic UNDEAD on bd last night.
Ain’t seen it since ABUK released it on dvd.

It’s not bad until the alien bullshit kicks in.

Those who love Jackson’s BAD TASTE and BRAINDEAD will get a kick out of this one.

Discwise,Umbrella had done a fine job.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th December 2021 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 664402)
New York Ninja (1984/2021)

PS I love the band in Doom Asylum :rockon:

You can barely hear them. They don't seem to be making any sounds.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th December 2021 07:48 PM

December 12th

1 Attachment(s)
The Iguana with the Tongue of Fire (1971)

A cracking giallo set in Dublin starring Luigi Pistilli as a detective investigating the murder of a woman that could have connections with the Swiss consulate.

Apparently director Ricardo Freda wanted Roger Moore as his lead but at the last minute he got Pistilli. A shame really as Pistilli is very good as a Dublin cop albeit with dubbed Irish accent and it's always fun to watch Anton Diffring in films like this, especially when it became knowledge that he had no idea what the story was about when he filmed the Doctor Who adventure Silver Nemesis in 1988. If he had no idea what that was about God knows what he made of The Iguana With the Tongue of Fire.

Freda's film is bewildering from the off. Everybody is pretty much a red herring especially Diffring's ambassador, his family and staff. Watching i was thinking everybody was the killer, in fact the one person i didn't suspect logically turned out to be the murderer who carried out savage cut throat razor attacks. It didn't help that the initial kill was done by someone in sunglasses, naturally Freda proceeded to give every shifty character shades throughout the film, even Pistilli's detective. Even more of a mind f*ck was that everyone seemed to own a cut throat razor too.

The Iguana with the Tongue of Fire isn't a top level giallo but i thought it was thoroughly entertaining with some gorily sadistic murders not to mention Dagmar Lassander spicing things up.

:psychosanta::psychosanta::psychosanta: ½ / 5

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th December 2021 08:01 PM

December 13th

1 Attachment(s)
Black Christmas (1974)

A film i'm slowly warming to although i still don't think it the classic that many fans do.

Bob Clark's film about the girls at a sorority house terrorized by a maniac, firstly through obscene phone calls and then murder. What's different about this proto slasher is that the killer is actually hiding in the attic so as well as establishing a tone and mood for the forthcoming slasher phenomenon it also sets a precedent for the lesser filmed hider in the house genre.

Although the killer's identity is never determined we soon discover that they are in the sorority house which contributes immensely to the tension, however the films middle third veers away from the thrills to concentrate on sheriff John Saxon and his deputies searching the local area for what they believe is one of the madman's victims and there's a lot of comedy which detracts from the seriousness of the film itself.

Olivia Hussey and Margot Kidder are excellent as sorority sisters and give what could be stereotypical final girls some much needed screen presence.

:psychosanta::psychosanta::psychosanta: / 5

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th December 2021 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973)

The second of Columbia Pictures three Sinbad films is a thoroughly entertaining affair with some stunning Dynarama stop motion from Ray Harryhausen in bringing the six armed statue of the Goddess Kali to sword wielding life.

John Phillip Law is decent as Sinbad, whilst Tom Baker chews whole mountainsides as the sorcerer Koura, meanwhile Caroline Munro looks pretty but is devoid of acting talent. It's also fun seeing Martin Shaw in an earlyish role as Sinbad's right hand man, Rachid.

Watching it on Indicator's beautiful Blu-ray in 2021 it's clear how much of an influence this film was on George Lucas and Steven Spielberg as so many ideas in it have been seen again in their Indiana Jones movies.

SymbioticFunction 15th December 2021 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 664476)
Black Christmas (1974)

A film i'm slowly warming to although i still don't think it the classic that many fans do.

Bob Clark's film about the girls at a sorority house terrorized by a maniac, firstly through obscene phone calls and then murder. What's different about this proto slasher is that the killer is actually hiding in the attic so as well as establishing a tone and mood for the forthcoming slasher phenomenon it also sets a precedent for the lesser filmed hider in the house genre.

Although the killer's identity is never determined we soon discover that they are in the sorority house which contributes immensely to the tension, however the films middle third veers away from the thrills to concentrate on sheriff John Saxon and his deputies searching the local area for what they believe is one of the madman's victims and there's a lot of comedy which detracts from the seriousness of the film itself.

Olivia Hussey and Margot Kidder are excellent as sorority sisters and give what could be stereotypical final girls some much needed screen presence.

I really like Black Christmas but always get a bit annoyed with the Olivia Hussey character. Did she really have to tell her boyfriend that she was pregnant and getting an abortion just before his big piano exam? :)

gag 15th December 2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 664480)
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973)

The second of Columbia Pictures three Sinbad films is a thoroughly entertaining affair with some stunning Dynarama stop motion from Ray Harryhausen in bringing the six armed statue of the Goddess Kali to sword wielding life.

John Phillip Law is decent as Sinbad, whilst Tom Baker chews whole mountainsides as the sorcerer Koura, meanwhile Caroline Munro looks pretty but is devoid of acting talent. It's also fun seeing Martin Shaw in an earlyish role as Sinbad's right hand man, Rachid.

Watching it on Indicator's beautiful Blu-ray in 2021 it's clear how much of an influence this film was on George Lucas and Steven Spielberg as so many ideas in it have been seen again in their Indiana Jones movies.

Love sinbad films and stuff like jason and the Argonauts .

nicholasrope 15th December 2021 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spider-Man: No Way Home

Following on from the previous Movie which sees Peter Parker deal with the aftermath of his identity being revealed. I've have stated previously that I was having Marvel fatigue but I really enjoyed this as it was a continuation of a story rather than a origin story like the previous 3 Marvel Movie releases (Black Widow, Shang-Chi & Eternals)

SPOILER:
What I also liked was the fact that they introduced the Bad Guys from the other versions of Spider-Man and the appearances of Maguire and Garfield. Not sure if it was the intention but I felt that it's a stroke of genius to make those Movies relevant. Also you have an appearance from Matt Murdoch.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th December 2021 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 664523)

Following on from the previous Movie which sees Peter Parker deal with the aftermath of his identity being revealed. I've have stated previously that I was having Marvel fatigue but I really enjoyed this as it was a continuation of a story rather than a origin story like the previous 3 Marvel Movie releases (Black Widow, Shang-Chi & Eternals)

SPOILER:
What I also liked was the fact that they introduced the Bad Guys from the other versions of Spider-Man and the appearances of Maguire and Garfield. Not sure if it was the intention but I felt that it's a stroke of genius to make those Movies relevant. Also you have an appearance from Matt Murdoch.

Murdoch eh? Did he also look a bit like Batman?

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th December 2021 04:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Withnail and I (1987)

A glorious rites of passage tale about two out of luck (and booze) actors who decamp from London to a dilapidated cottage in the Lake District where they struggle to survive the weather, a local poacher, a rather randy bull and Withnail's lecherous Uncle Monty.

As well as the superb Richard E Grant (Withnail) and Paul McGann (I), credit definitely where it's due to writer / director Bruce Robinson who based the film on his own exploits in sixties Camden Town.

Arrow's Blu-ray is a massive improvement over their older dvd.

The Italian Job (1969)

Classic British crime caper in which Michael Caine and his band of cons steal a haul of gold bullion on the streets of Turin.

Effortlessly watchable, endlessly quotable, charming, funny, featuring possibly the greatest car sequence in the history of cinema, certainly the greatest to feature Mini Cooper's. The Italian Job is a film that gets better with every sitting.

Loved seeing it on Blu-ray for the first time. The high definition image gives those mountains glorious clarity.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th December 2021 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 664476)
Black Christmas (1974)

It's a right creepy bastard of a film though Dem.
You can almost FEEL the cold coming through your screen.

In the sense of a traditional horror pic,I rate it as a seasonal classic.

However,I MUCH prefer the tongue in cheek and sheer ourageousness of DON'T OPEN 'TILL CHRISTMAS and SILENT NIGHT DEADLY NIGHT.:xmasnuts:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th December 2021 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 664523)

SPOILER:

In my book there's only one spiderman.... ;) EMOMAN! :hohoho:

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th December 2021 10:47 PM

December 15th

1 Attachment(s)
Shining Sex (1977)

A weird minimalistic fever dream of eroticism which is largely plotless as Lina Romay's exotic dancer is seduced and then enslaved by an inter dimensional being and her male human f*ck toy.

I'm not entirely sure how to even start on this, it's so sparse and lacking in story but what it doesn't lack is sex as director and co-star Jess Franco lets his camera playfully visit wife Romay's now shaven (Yes, really) vagina. In fact Romay's vagina is the star of the show - It gets so much screen time - as she succumbs to an alien life form her body glitters and shimmers as she goes about killing people with her love making until the finale where she's practically a dying silver alien herself.

Perhaps not one of Jess Franco's best films but it was certainly a lot of fun in a fascinatingly pervy way and you can be damn sure the recent Screenbound Blu-ray is missing at the very least the NSFW out takes of Romay performing rough close up fellatio that i watched on the Severin disc.

SymbioticFunction 17th December 2021 01:40 PM

Watched the new Candyman film. My blu-ray has a front cover quote from Alan Jones describing it as the best horror film of the year. I wouldn't go that far but I did like it. Despite the misleading repeating movie title, this is most definitely a sequel entry and not a remake. There's quite a lot of references to the original movie and it is certainly better than Candyman 2 (I've never seen Candyman 3).

There's a couple of moments where a retelling of past events wasn't quite accurate but I'm pretty sure that's just to show that urban legends are often mutated from truth. One thing did drive me nuts: that a character wouldn't go to hospital with a bad infection much earlier, or that other characters wouldn't also be saying "you need to go to a hospital." But I can still recommend this.

btw I was confused by the film's opening studio logos being backwards but then I realised that it was meant to be a mirror image.

MrBarlow 17th December 2021 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 664592)
Watched the new Candyman film. My blu-ray has a front cover quote from Alan Jones describing it as the best horror film of the year. I wouldn't go that far but I did like it. Despite the misleading repeating movie title, this is most definitely a sequel entry and not a remake. There's quite a lot of references to the original movie and it is certainly better than Candyman 2 (I've never seen Candyman 3).

There's a couple of moments where a retelling of past events wasn't quite accurate but I'm pretty sure that's just to show that urban legends are often mutated from truth. One thing did drive me nuts: that a character wouldn't go to hospital with a bad infection much earlier, or that other characters wouldn't also be saying "you need to go to a hospital." But I can still recommend this.

btw I was confused by the film's opening studio logos being backwards but then I realised that it was meant to be a mirror image.

When people say that quote i tend to be skeptical, think I will watch it over the weekend, think anything will be better than Candyman 3 imo.

Justin101 17th December 2021 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 664577)
Shining Sex (1977)

A weird minimalistic fever dream of eroticism which is largely plotless as Lina Romay's exotic dancer is seduced and then enslaved by an inter dimensional being and her male human f*ck toy.

I'm not entirely sure how to even start on this, it's so sparse and lacking in story but what it doesn't lack is sex as director and co-star Jess Franco lets his camera playfully visit wife Romay's now shaven (Yes, really) vagina. In fact Romay's vagina is the star of the show - It gets so much screen time - as she succumbs to an alien life form her body glitters and shimmers as she goes about killing people with her love making until the finale where she's practically a dying silver alien herself.

Perhaps not one of Jess Franco's best films but it was certainly a lot of fun in a fascinatingly pervy way and you can be damn sure the recent Screenbound Blu-ray is missing at the very least the NSFW out takes of Romay performing rough close up fellatio that i watched on the Severin disc.

That's the one with the silver "aliens" isn't it, as you say a fever dream, it feels like a dream that I have actually watched it, but yes, I remember vividly the razor burn on the freshly shaved parts :lol:

SymbioticFunction 17th December 2021 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 664595)
When people say that quote i tend to be skeptical, think I will watch it over the weekend, think anything will be better than Candyman 3 imo.

I'd be curious to read your thoughts. I should have also probably mentioned that the music was impressive which seems important for a Candyman film. I'm toying with the idea of picking up Candyman 2 on UK blu-ray, haven't seen it for quite some time and although I can't be certain, I'm pretty sure that Candyman 4 doesn't contradict anything in that first sequel. Will give that Candyman 3 a miss. :) Like I said, I've never seen it but I've also never heard anything good about it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th December 2021 03:04 PM

December 16th

1 Attachment(s)
Virgin Witch (1972)

Two pretty girls are recruited for a modeling assignment at a large country mansion. All is not what it seems though as a witches coven lurks in the background,and aims to use the girls in their erotic rites.

Other films dealing with witchcraft such as Legend of the Witches have over the past few years been re-evaluated and been given more credit than they first received, not so Virgin Witch which is still seen as a guilty pleasure, a piece of sexploitation, rather than an acclaimed seventies horror film. Director Ray Austin gives the audience plenty of up-skirt shots and his camera comes to a halt each time it focuses on a pair of bare breasts or a pert posterior, adding to the smuttyness of the proceedings. Its these values that make Virgin Witch an offbeat, sleazy almost unsettlingly voyeuristic movie. The horror aspects to the film largely go unexplored until the last third.

The film has impressive scenes of the black arts. Quite similar to Alex Sanders pseudo documentary Secret Rites (1971) The sequences are directed with abundant glee as Ann Michelle's Christine is "taken" on the alter the rest of the coven are happily enjoying their own erotically charged rituals. Sans kit naturally.

The film itself is enjoyable enough if not actually scary or horrific, it has good production values and was filmed at the beautiful Admiral's Walk manor house near Woking, the same place Norman J Warren filmed Terror and the brilliant Satan's Slave.

The new Blu-ray from Screenbound looks lovely. Outdoor shots are very highly detailed.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th December 2021 06:11 PM

This month's films so far, mostly from the HMV Premium Collection:

To Catch a Thief (1955) ★★★★
One of Hitchcock's most enjoyable capers with a lively script, stunning photography and, in Cary Grant and Grace Kelly, a wonderful leading duo.

VIPCO: The Untold Story (2019) ★★½
A reasonably interesting documentary on the notorious video label which sprang to prominence during the 'video nasty' era. This would have been better if it was a little shorter and the participants put their phones on silent during the interviews! It's one of two documentaries on the bonus disc with the Spoekies Blu-ray set from 101 Films.

Top Gun (1986) ★★★½
It's cheesy and clichéd, but I find it hugely enjoyable and the Dolby Atmos track is a notable step up from the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 soundtrack from the previous Blu-ray release.

Airplane! (1980) ★★★★
this excellent spoof has aged extremely well – it's still very funny with some cracking one-liners, well-written characters, and a scenario which (aside from post-9/11 aeroplane security) hasn't aged in the last 40 years.

Pretty in Pink (1986) ★★★½
This John Hughes-scripted coming of age comedy is quite endearing with fine performances from Molly Ringwald, Harry Dean Stanton, Jon Cryer, Annie Potts, and James Spader, and assured direction by Howard Deutch. This was my first viewing – it definitely won't be my last.

The Young Master (1980) ★★★
After watching the extended and international cuts of this, I decided to watch the theatrical version with the Cantonese audio. I'm not sure which version I prefer, but it's definitely better with the Cantonese audio track. The film isn't one of Jackie Chan's best, though it has some excellent stunt work and sequences for the star to showcase his phenomenal strength and flexibility.

Ghost (1990) ★★★★
A wonderful blend of drama, comedy, romance, fantasy, and horror, with genuine chemistry between Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore, though Whoopi Goldberg steals every scene in which she appears. It's a very clever and engaging film with an accessible storyline on the grieving process.

Urban Cowboy (1980) ★★½
Half the film seems to be about Bud, John Travolta's oil worker riding a mechanical bull and engaging in some form of domestic abuse, victimising his girlfriend, Sissy (Debra Winger). I didn't love this but didn't hate it either; I think I need to watch it again.

King Creole (1958) ★★★½
Similar in some ways to Rebel Without a Cause, though lacking the intensity of James Dean's performance. Instead, we have arguably Elvis Presley's best film performance – he's a believable character, the songs are good and well integrated into the narrative, and Presley is well supported by Dean Jagger, Carolyn Jones, and Walter Matthau.

They Were Expendable (1945) ★★★★½
A brilliant World War II drama about PT boats and the men crewing them. John Ford's direction is superb and the performances from the likes of Robert Montgomery, John Wayne, and Donna Reed are all top-notch.

Super Fly (1972) ★★★★
While not as famous as films like Shaft, Sweet Sweetback, or Foxy Brown, this groundbreaking blacksploitation Gordon Parks Jr. is a compelling watch with an intelligent, pulsing soundtrack from Curtis Mayfield and a fine leading performance from Ron O'Neal.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th December 2021 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 664613)
This month's films so far, all from the HMV Premium Collection:

VIPCO: The Untold Story (2019) ★★½
A reasonably interesting documentary on the notorious video label which sprang to prominence during the 'video nasty' era. This would have been better if it was a little shorter and the participants put their phones on silent during the interviews!

The Young Master (1980) ★★★
After watching the extended and international cuts of this, I decided to watch the theatrical version with the Cantonese audio. I'm not sure which version I prefer, but it's definitely better with the Cantonese audio track. The film isn't one of Jackie Chan's best, though it has some excellent stunt work and sequences for the star to showcase his phenomenal strength and flexibility.

:xmasnuts:

Demoncrat 17th December 2021 07:39 PM

Woodchipper Massacre (1988, Jon McBride)

SOV. 3 kids are left in the care of their rather strict aunt. A nasty accident's consequences spiral wildly out of control. The sanest film I watched that night :lol:
The actors are all wooden, most of the action is off camera and the denoument was ... typical of the genre :pound:

Devil Fetus (1983, Liu Hung Chuen)

HK horror. Highly recommended is this one. If it's logic you're after though ... :rolleyes:
A simple impulse purchase ends in the apocalypse. Top tier madness. Which leads to ....

Blood Beat (1983, Fabrice - Ange Zaphiratos)

You know when you watch something and think "this guy has seen some Bava methinks!!". Maybe it's just me??? :rolleyes::laugh:
Or out of the frying pan, into the mire ... :hohoho:
A family gathering should be welcoming ... shouldn't it?
See for yourselves .... I dare you :laugh::rolleyes:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th December 2021 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 664614)
:xmasnuts:

Now edited and corrected.:burningtree:

Frankie Teardrop 18th December 2021 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 664625)
Woodchipper Massacre (1988, Jon McBride)

SOV. 3 kids are left in the care of their rather strict aunt. A nasty accident's consequences spiral wildly out of control. The sanest film I watched that night :lol:
The actors are all wooden, most of the action is off camera and the denoument was ... typical of the genre :pound:

Devil Fetus (1983, Liu Hung Chuen)

HK horror. Highly recommended is this one. If it's logic you're after though ... :rolleyes:
A simple impulse purchase ends in the apocalypse. Top tier madness. Which leads to ....

Blood Beat (1983, Fabrice - Ange Zaphiratos)

You know when you watch something and think "this guy has seen some Bava methinks!!". Maybe it's just me??? :rolleyes::laugh:
Or out of the frying pan, into the mire ... :hohoho:
A family gathering should be welcoming ... shouldn't it?
See for yourselves .... I dare you :laugh::rolleyes:

'Blood Beat' is amazing. As is 'Devil Fetus', for that matter.

Frankie Teardrop 18th December 2021 11:30 AM

As we head into the foul depths of the seasonal recess, part one of a pre-xmas splurge -

THE NEST – I always wondered about this one whenever I clocked the VHS case during my late-eighties trips to the local Video Library. Now I have my answers. Notable for elegantly shoehorning the dynamics of a smalltown melodrama about property development into splattery bug horror; also in its favour are its rad, bad scientist and the gloopy Thing-esque mutant bug-human hybrid totem entity at the end. Light but schlocky, it is what it is. Whaddya want? If Fellini did a film about killer roaches you could watch that instead.

HIGHWAY TO HELL – A trip across the desert of some parallel underworld, featuring a satanic highway cop, bikers, encounters with the devil and some other stuff. I enjoyed it because I found it hard to place – somewhere between horror, black comedy and fantasy, left-field for the early nineties but not avant or anything, at its heart a romance. Are those ‘zombies’ in floppy wigs at the rubbish dump meant to resemble Andy Warhol? The ever-expanding list of questions we need answers to NOW.

SWALLOW – Pica. I learned about it back in the day, when I worked with people with mental health issues. The person at the centre of ‘Swallow’ has a bad case of it. Chilly and distant, ‘Swallow’ feels a little like Cronenberg with the schlocky marrow sucked out, a psychosomatic take-down of familial oppression and control dynamics. I liked it, but its psychological landscape is a little on the neat side, especially when it all boils up to something that smacks too much of a conventional resolution. I thought it might be more twisted… but f*ck it, here’s xmas around the corner, who needs bad vibes?

DON’T BREATHE 2 – That blind ex-marine guy from the first one is back, this time alongside a kidnap victim he’s raised as his own. Some nefarious types have contrived to bust into his house (again), and a similar scenario to part one unfolds… until it takes a clumsily telegraphed turn into slightly hysterical territory which I won’t spoil, but which elevates a very standard B-movie into something more nastily hilarious. Along the way are the expected bits of gore and ill-will. Quite good, but if you’re going to charitably donate this xmas, make sure it’s not to any shifty-looking medics…

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th December 2021 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 664647)
As we head into the foul depths of the seasonal recess, part one of a pre-xmas splurge -

THE NEST – I always wondered about this one whenever I clocked the VHS case during my late-eighties trips to the local Video Library. Now I have my answers. Notable for elegantly shoehorning the dynamics of a smalltown melodrama about property development into splattery bug horror; also in its favour are its rad, bad scientist and the gloopy Thing-esque mutant bug-human hybrid totem entity at the end. Light but schlocky, it is what it is. Whaddya want? If Fellini did a film about killer roaches you could watch that instead.

I saw this fairly recently (Might have been two years ago come to think) and really enjoyed it.

Much better than the Fellini remake i thought.

Demoncrat 18th December 2021 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 664646)
'Blood Beat' is amazing. As is 'Devil Fetus', for that matter.

Tonal similarities betwixt the two made the demon sit up and take notice somewhat :nod:

MrBarlow 18th December 2021 11:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tomorrow Never Dies.

I know I went through the Bond movies last year but I think at Christmas time there should be one or two Bond films watched.

Pierce makes his second mark as the British government agent along with Chinese agent Michelle Yeoh, both targeting media mogul Jonathan Pryce, who uses his brain and network news as his weapon plus a stealth boat to create World War III almost. From the start right up to the end, the plot gets better and better, the acting between M and the Navy General is always a laugh to watch.

Attachment 238155

Frankie Teardrop 19th December 2021 11:28 AM

More pre-christmas non-christmassy shit

THE LAUGHING DEAD – From SP Somtow, author of such early nineties horror fic fare as ‘Vampire Junction’. Here, his sights are set on Aztec rituals, a burned-out priest searching for his lost love and her arsehole of a son, and various other little plot points and side-shifts that seemed to flicker past in the haze. The main course, surely, is the craziness – when it arrives, it arrives in style. By this point, the film has morphed from a blackly comic but slightly taxing travelogue into a splatter-fixated surrealist’s version of ‘Temple of Doom’, complete with a monster dinosaur battle; I recommend it to you thusly.

RAIDERS OF ATLANTIS – Ruggero Deodato – we already know about his grim side. ‘Cannibal Holocaust’. ‘The House on the Edge of the Park’. But are you aware that he also has a slightly silly side? Well, maybe, maybe not, but on the basis of ROA, I’m tempted to hazard that he does. Christopher Connolly goes to an island and it all has to do with scientists in jeopardy, punks on bikes, the lost city of Atlantis and a big plastic dome that closes across the sky. An Italian action sci-fi rip-off in the mode of high fever, I did have to stop once or twice to ask myself “Good grief Frankie, what IS this film about?” Might have been the booze, might have to re-watch, but a recommend until proven otherwise.

MONSTER – A first timer for me, having avoided it countless times on late night TV back in the nineties (I think). Blimey, I’d been missing out. A truly shabby piece of seventies British gnarliness, it has Joan Collins in terrified thrall to her offspring, a baby who is quite frankly a bit of bastard. Any sprog equipped with enough psychopathic wherewithal to murder Ralph Bates by full-on hanging with a big noose is quite irredeemable in my eyes. There’s a lot of that kind of thing in ‘Monster’, a briskly-paced jaw dropper pungent enough to subdue even likes of Donald Pleasance, who here seems as baffled as anyone. It all has to do with ex-stripper Joan having been cursed by an angry dwarf! Find of the year.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th December 2021 11:30 AM

December 17th

1 Attachment(s)
Dream Demon (1988)

The virginal Gemma Redgrave suffers increasingly fraught and realistic nightmares as she fears consummating her impending marriage.

A bizarre oddity that rips off and really wants to be a British A Nightmare on Elm Street but ends up more like Freddy's Dead-The Final Nightmare.

The acting, from Redgrave in particular, is average at best. It's unfortunate but for me Gemma Redgrave doesn't have a voice that translates well to film. Be it this or her semi-frequent role in Doctor Who, she appears to be reading from cue cards at a distance. Yet in her twenty minute interview on the Arrow Blu-ray she comes across as warm, affectionate and wonderfully natural and a pleasure to watch.

The film itself is a bit nuts. The dream sequences are outlandish and often pretty gory such as Gemma punching right through the grooms head on her wedding day, but Timothy Spall as the main 'dream demon' is too daft to take seriously. Almost carrying on as if her were still in Ken Russell's Gothic from a couple of years earlier.If Robert Englund was Freddy Krueger then Spall is the equivalent of Funny Man. But it's still very watchable and certainly fast paced even if it's not at all scary.

What was kind of interesting was that in among the craziness there do appear to be metaphors for 1981's wedding of Charles and Diana throughout which seven years on seemed a bit weird.

I'd never seen Dream Demon before so didn't know what to expect, although i wasn't really expecting comedy horror. The film has enough about it for me to want to watch it again in that batshit crazy style of the afore mentioned Gothic. A film that i've truly come to adore over the years.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th December 2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 664670)

MONSTER – A first timer for me, having avoided it countless times on late night TV back in the nineties (I think). Blimey, I’d been missing out. A truly shabby piece of seventies British gnarliness, it has Joan Collins in terrified thrall to her offspring, a baby who is quite frankly a bit of bastard. Any sprog equipped with enough psychopathic wherewithal to murder Ralph Bates by full-on hanging with a big noose is quite irredeemable in my eyes. There’s a lot of that kind of thing in ‘Monster’, a briskly-paced jaw dropper pungent enough to subdue even likes of Donald Pleasance, who here seems as baffled as anyone. It all has to do with ex-stripper Joan having been cursed by an angry dwarf! Find of the year.

:xmasbanana:

Did you pick up the Network Blu, Frankie? It's a nice package with plentiful extras and booklet that i recommend if you haven't.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th December 2021 11:56 AM

December 17th Part 2

1 Attachment(s)
Southbound (2016)

Excellent anthology horror film in the vein of Trick r' Treat (2007) in which five different stories taking place in the American desert become interlinked with characters and situations bleeding into one another along the way.

As with all anthology films not every segment is 100% successful especially seeing as they are by five different directors so the tone does occasionally shift. The five tall tales themselves ranged from the okay - Siren - to the superb - The Accident - twenty minutes of unbelievably tense, knuckle whitening horror with a beautifully gory conclusion. In fact it was probably the best slice of new horror i've seen in as long as i can remember.

Definitely one to watch multiple times as i'm sure there was so much i missed or didn't register with me at the time especially in the first couple of stories.

:psychosanta::psychosanta::psychosanta: ½ / 5 (5/5 for The Accident)