Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

MrBarlow 24th January 2022 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 666079)
The Bourne Supremacy (2004)

A reasonable story and follow up to 2002's The Bourne Identity is ruined by Paul Greengrass' cluster**** of a directing and editing job on the action sequences. Seen at the time as cutting edge and innovative. Bollocks! It's just uninvolving frantic and shit. Third film, The Bourne Ultimatum (2007), is even worse.

I don't mind the third film apart from the last 20 minutes, but I agree with you this one with the editing, doing a hard Suduku was more entertaining than this one.

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th January 2022 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 666081)
I don't mind the third film apart from the last 20 minutes, but I agree with you this one with the editing, doing a hard Suduku was more entertaining than this one.

Isn't it the third one where there's a rooftop chase in Turkey or somewhere similar? The camera's all over the place bouncing around aiming at anything but the actors running. It was horrible.

MrBarlow 24th January 2022 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 666082)
Isn't it the third one where there's a rooftop chase in Turkey or somewhere similar? The camera's all over the place bouncing around aiming at anything but the actors running. It was horrible.

Yeah I think it was a chase on a roof top that ends with Bourne smashing through a window, Think maybe will watch the original Richard Chamberlain version at some point.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th January 2022 12:51 PM

Quote:

A reasonable story and follow up to 2002's The Bourne Identity is ruined by Paul Greengrass' cluster**** of a directing and editing job on the action sequences. Seen at the time as cutting edge and innovative. Bollocks! It's just uninvolving frantic and shit. Third film, The Bourne Ultimatum (2007), is even worse.

I really like the camera work and editing style in The Bourne Supremacy and Ultimatum. I think it helps to convey the chaotic nature of those chase and combat sequences, ones which mentally would be quite panicked and as frenetic as the editing.

I thought the visual style was very well suited to United 93 but understand why it was barely used in Captain Phillips, two films I rate very highly.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th January 2022 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 666097)
I really like the camera work and editing style in The Bourne Supremacy and Ultimatum. I think it helps to convey the chaotic nature of those chase and combat sequences, ones which mentally would be quite panicked and as frenetic as the editing.

I thought the visual style was very well suited to United 93 but understand why it was barely used in Captain Phillips, two films I rate very highly.

A case of agree to disagree, but i like to see the action sequences. It's similar all over the place filming to Cloverfield where the camera points at the ground for much of the monster sequences. I hated that too.

Demoncrat 25th January 2022 05:06 PM

The Viy (1967, Konstantin Ershov/ Georgiy Kropachyov)

Quite simply, this was worth the wait.
Recommended.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th January 2022 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Whiplash (2014)

Miles Teller plays an ambitious young jazz drummer who is pushed to his limit and beyond by his ruthlessly strict teacher (a superb J.K. Simmons) at a prestigious New York music academy.

Think jazz + college drama + Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket and you have Whiplash.

Superb. I was gripped from beginning to end.

Justin101 25th January 2022 06:15 PM

Those last 20 minutes are more tense than any thriller! Been meaning to watch Whiplash again soon.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th January 2022 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 666114)
Those last 20 minutes are more tense than any thriller! Been meaning to watch Whiplash again soon.

Agreed. Great ending too.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th January 2022 08:16 PM

Whiplash is outstanding and, as is been said, extremely tense. I recently upgraded my Blu-ray to the 4K Ultra HD release for the extra visual detail and Dolby Atmos track but I haven't watched it yet.

J Harker 25th January 2022 08:35 PM

Quote:

I'm glad it wasn't just me thought the second Bourne film was a shaky cam mess.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

MrBarlow 25th January 2022 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Madman. 1981.

Another Summer Camp film and another demented madman hacking up young coeds, but this one is different based on a urban legend style, anyone who utters the name "Madman Mars" he appears like the Boogeyman and kills.

There is a decent back story to the man who murdered his family, hung by a lynch mob who whacked his nose off and didn't feel a thing. Every camp I have gone to when I was younger we always told ghost and horror stories, but one camp member seems to keep things nice for the younger kids, how thoughtful...not. At times you feel the sympathy for the camp councillors and then it's like just kill them, but not Gaylen Ross. The director does a decent job of keeping Mars in the dark shadows, a lot but the kills are mostly off screen at times.

Attachment 238771

nicholasrope 25th January 2022 10:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Promising Young Woman

Carey Mulligan gets acts drunk in order to get revenge on guys who try to rape her after her College friend is raped. Not really sure what to make of this, it certainly had potential but it doesn't really work in my opinion.

Straightheads

Danny Dyer and Gillian Anderson get attacked in the woods therefore get bloody revenge over the attackers. Not bad, can't stand Dyer but I do like Anderson (From her X-Files days) and you do see more of her than possibly anticipated (Certainly compared to The Turning, yes I remember that one lol)

Effects

A Film Production turns deadly. The 1st of 101 Films AGFA Series and based on the Trailer, it looked like it was going to be the better ones especially it stars Joe Pilato and Tom Savani. With it being low budget, I had faith in Savani creating some decent F/X.

I was tired when I put this on and therefore dozed off during however I rather enjoyed what I saw and will watch again when more lively.

Pop Star: Never Stop, Never Stopping

Andy Samberg is an arrogant Pop Star whose fame starts to wane after a flop Album release (Which I think is a rib on U2?) It is actually pretty funny where his songs are meant to say one thing but come off all completely wrong.

MrBarlow 26th January 2022 03:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Virgin Witch. 1972.

Well I can easily say I will never look at the programme "Allo Allo" again without thinking of this film, i'm scarred for life...but in a good way with Vickie Michelle almost showing more than her maid's outfit did. British exploitation on modern day witch coven and who wouldn't want two sisters to join after being promised a modelling Job. Ann Michelle does a good job as the older sister who spends half the time nude or showing her full body. The film starts off well then slowly goes one way then goes a different way which was something I wasn't expecting and enjoyed. Thank you for this one Demdike

Attachment 238781

Dave Boy 26th January 2022 03:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yvette Mimieux tribute..

Attachment 238807
THE TIME MACHINE (1960)

I remember the first time i watched this movie. Lying on front of the TV.
Seeing that Morlock rot away as the Time Machine makes it's escape stuck in my mind for ages.

Attachment 238808
THE BLACK HOLE (1979)

I saw this at the cinema on release. It looked great with the Black Hole turning in the background.
I've still got the action figures, LP soundtrack, annual, novel and bubble gum cards from the time.

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th January 2022 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 666173)

Attachment 238808
THE BLACK HOLE (1979)

I saw this at the cinema on release. It looked great with the Black Hole turning in the background.
I've still got the action figures, LP soundtrack, annual, novel and bubble gum cards from the time.

I wish this was available on Blu.

Apparently you can get it on demand from Disney but they only ship to the US anyway. I doubt we'll ever get a blu the way Disney don't give a shit about physical products anymore.

Dave Boy 26th January 2022 04:04 PM

Yeah, it was a Disney Club exclusive. I've looked on ebay and there are some sellers from the US but too expensive.
It HAD to be this movie that is an exclusive! Aaarrgghh!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th January 2022 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 666178)
Yeah, it was a Disney Club exclusive. I've looked on ebay and there are some sellers from the US but too expensive.
It HAD to be this movie that is an exclusive! Aaarrgghh!!

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was another Disney Club exclusive wasn't it.

Really annoying for collectors of Blu-ray sci-fi over here.

Graveyard 26th January 2022 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 238819

Most recent watches, lucky with my choices.

Dinner in America I really didn't know what to expect with this one, but was a cool movie, nice soundtrack, a punk love story.

Sid and Nancy Following the most recent announcement from Criterion, decided to give a spin on this Cox movie - it's a sad movie but at the same time too long, Oldman does an amazing job.

Munich: Edge of War Last year I read the book, so was happy to see this coming to the "big screen"- for some reason the book it's more exciting than the movie.

MrBarlow 26th January 2022 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Night Of The Comet. 1984.

65 million years ago a meteor wiped out all the dinosaurs...suppose that's what they get for standing in the same place :lol: Jump years later and another meteor hits and wipes out part of the population. One part there is survivors and the other are turned into meteor turned zombies. Enjoyable campy B movie that reminds us of the dress wear, music and some bad acting. This was very low budget but effective horror that has plenty tongue in cheek comments and decent make-up effects.

Attachment 238822

Demoncrat 27th January 2022 09:00 AM

Behind The Curve (2018, Daniel J Clark)

Documentary following some flat earthers around. Mainly muricans. The filmmaker makes no judgements, letting them hang themselves with their own words. Being forced to pray to a piece of cloth in school does sort of "prep" these folks for this sort of nonsense imho.
There is some drama as the chap who claims to have "created" FE throws the odd tantrum on the internet.
Can I recommend it? Not really, hence putting it here. Have at it if you need cheering up. :nod:

MrBarlow 27th January 2022 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shock. 1977.

Father and son Mario and Lamberto Bava bring us this little horror chiller, a mix of a haunted house and possession, Daria Nicolodi, John Steiner and David Colin Jr move into the house that belonged to Nicolodi and her former husbamd who committed suicide and her son's attitude begins to change. Don't expect it to be like full blown possession even though we do see a rotten flesh hand, Marco dry humping his mother and slowly touching her up. The Blu-Ray release is one of the decent picture quality and sound version I have seen of this film.

Attachment 238830

MrBarlow 27th January 2022 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Duel. 1971.

Driving on a lone road on your own can be hellish, Dennis Weaver finds that out in this one when he is stalked by a 18 wheeler truck in a game of cat and mouse. Weaver is portrayed as a mild mannered guy who does not like confrontation yet is trying to find a way to fight back. Spielberg's directorial debut and shows his first hand talent before becoming a great film director, this has always been enjoyable to watch and still has the suspense.

Attachment 238831

MrBarlow 28th January 2022 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Goodbye Charlie. 1964.

A womanizer is shot on a yacht by the husband of a woman he is flirting with, a memorial service is held and after the party a naked woman appears and has amnesia, George believes that it's Charlie who has been reincarnated as a woman.

Some people believe that there is a God and a good joker, Debbie Reynolds plays the reincarnated Charley who begins to freak out when he/she realises what's happened and makes it a bit more comical. Tony Curtis plays the friend George and knows Charlie will never change, the two onscreen actors play both parts really well. Walter Matthau shows up as the jealous husband and may want to take another shot. This does a have a bit of a slow build up with the characters but then becomes a good comedy.

Attachment 238838

Demoncrat 28th January 2022 07:46 PM

Don't Look Up

Satire!!
Not as clever as it thinks it is, edging it slightly into smug territory imho.
Mark Rylance did make me laugh with his "Steve Musk" character tbh.
Broad strokes are applied throughout.
Me? I'm going back to The Tube methinks! :nod:

MrBarlow 29th January 2022 02:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heidi. 1937.

Story of the little orphan girl who goes to stay with her grumpy grandpa in the Swiss Alps.

Finally managed to see this version, even though it's not exactly true to the book but you gotta love Shirley Temple and that sweet little laugh she has along side Jean Hersholt as the secluded Grandpa who manages to play the mean old man and soon friendly giant. With every kids story there is also a mean cold hearted antagonist Mary Nash who plays the housekeeper to disabled Marcia Mae Jones slowly becomes part of Heidi's and grandpa lives. Entertaining to watch at stupid O'clock in the morning :lol:

Attachment 238844

MrBarlow 29th January 2022 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Glass Bottom Boat. 1966.

This was a bit of a screwball comedy with Doris Day and Rod Taylor who hires Day to be his biographer and his boss thinks she is a Russian spy and has her put under surveillance. This may not be one of Doris Day's best film but certainly shows her comedy that can be laughable, Paul Linde is able to provide more comedy and trying to pass as a female. At almost 2 hours I felt that some parts seem to drag on a bit but entertaining enough to pass some time.

Attachment 238855

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th January 2022 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fascination (1979)

Fascination is one of French director Jean Rollin's most accessible works. The plot is quite straightforward and the production boasts one of the most iconic images of Gothic European horror - that of Brigitte Lahaie crossing the bridge dressed only in a open black robe whilst brandishing a scythe.

Taking Rollin's classic elements of beautiful women, vampires, nudity and horror and allowing then to play out in a fun agreeable manner makes Fascination for me, his masterpiece.

The Blackhouse / Screenbound Blu-ray, licensed from Salvation Films (The Salvation logo is there for all to see on the reverse) looks very nice and although extras free for the price i paid - £6 from the recent Classic Films Direct sale - was a bit of a bargain.

Demoncrat 29th January 2022 11:34 PM

Fascination is something of a trifecta for me, 1979, Rollin, off kilter in extremis etc. :nod:

So glad you "got it" D. :hail:

For my sins ...

My Lucky Stars (1985, Sammo Hung)

Prime Peking Opera Boys. Somewhat more serious in tone than others, our plucky trio face off against insurmountable odds with aplomb. Recommended. Plot? REALLY??? :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th January 2022 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 666360)
Fascination is something of a trifecta for me, 1979, Rollin, off kilter in extremis etc. :nod:

So glad you "got it" D. :hail:

It's certainly a vast improvement on the old Redemption dvd i got free with Video World.

Demoncrat 30th January 2022 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 666368)
It's certainly a vast improvement on the old Redemption dvd i got free with Video World.

:pound:
I can imagine an oil and water scenario .... must pull my finger out myself regarding JR BDs!!

Justin101 30th January 2022 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 666372)
:pound:
I can imagine an oil and water scenario .... must pull my finger out myself regarding JR BDs!!

I still have a handful to buy, will get those at some point this year, might even get Zombie Lake, but I love how they all look together.

https://i.ibb.co/FgyhD5h/5011-B6-A0-...A75-CE7-B6.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th January 2022 03:59 PM

Piss off with your Eurocrypt collection will you. :lol:

Justin101 30th January 2022 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 666376)
Piss off with your Eurocrypt collection will you. :lol:

I got it from WowHD it wasn’t ‘very’ expensive! Around £80.

MrBarlow 30th January 2022 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Flashburn: Virus Outbreak. 2017

Wes a Virologist and microbiologist wakes up in a abandoned warehouse with amnesia, held captive by someone called Lazarus who wants Wes to find the cure for a Ebola outbreak.

Post-Apocalyptic story with Sean Patrick Flanery who wakes up after a jeep crash and is told who he is and what he must do by some sinister wannabe voice. This was a blind viewing, and wasn't really expecting much out of it, the plot seems simple but this was a bit of a slow burner with a bit of a nice twist at the end and some good acting from Flanery and Cameron Richardson, don't expect it to be nail biting or edge of your seat thriller.

Attachment 238866

MrBarlow 30th January 2022 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A Cold Night's Death. 1973.

Two researchers arrive at a research station at White Mountains after loosing contact with a lone scientist and discover they may not be alone in the building.

Another made for T.V. movie from the 70s that deals with Claustrophobia, Isolation and Paranoia, Robert Culp and Eli Wallach play the two researchers sent in to find a colleague and finish of the project only for them to turn on each other when they believe someone is with them. This is one of those movies that you know what's happening, who's behind it all yet have you glued to the screen right to the end on how it unfolds. Not exactly a big budget but does have some good suspense build up.

Attachment 238867

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th January 2022 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 666384)
A Cold Night's Death. 1973.

Two researchers arrive at a research station at White Mountains after loosing contact with a lone scientist and discover they may not be alone in the building.

Another made for T.V. movie from the 70s that deals with Claustrophobia, Isolation and Paranoia, Robert Culp and Eli Wallach play the two researchers sent in to find a colleague and finish of the project only for them to turn on each other when they believe someone is with them. This is one of those movies that you know what's happening, who's behind it all yet have you glued to the screen right to the end on how it unfolds. Not exactly a big budget but does have some good suspense build up.

Attachment 238867

Like the sound of this.

MrBarlow 30th January 2022 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 666385)
Like the sound of this.

I found it on YouTube Dem and thought i'd give it a look, some T.v movies are better made than big budget film, the two main stars really worked well together.

iank 30th January 2022 08:00 PM

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan. A school trip by boat takes off from Crystal Lake to New York, with a rather unwanted stowaway - Jason Vorhees! The 8th in the venerable horror franchise gets a lot of stick due to the title being a bit of a cheek, with the film only getting to NY past the hour mark - "Jason Takes A Cruise" would probably be more accurate - but for all that I rather like it. It's pretty well made and acted, and the stuff on the ship as it goes out of control and floods in a storm, with the characters also having to deal with Jason on the rampage, is pretty atmospheric and entertaining. It amused me for its run time anyway! ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th January 2022 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Collateral (2004)

Tom Cruise stars as a cold blooded hitman being driven around LA over the course of one night time by unwitting cabbie Jamie Foxx. Cruise embarks on a series of five ruthless assassinations whilst Foxx tries to work out ways to escape as cop Mark Ruffalo closes in on the trail of death.

Both Foxx and Cruise are excellent here, Cruise in particular is cast against type and is highly effective as the merciless killer. However for me it's director Michael Mann who is the real star of this film, his shooting of night time Los Angeles, both on film and digitally, make the city lights look alternately moody, dangerous and aided by an awesome soundtrack of music from Miles Davis, Paul Oakenfold and Audioslave, supremely stylish and cool.

Loved watching this on Blu-ray, made me long to go back to LA.