Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th February 2022 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 666728)
I started watching it last night and turned it off after about 15 mins, it's VERY dark and I either wasn't in the right mood or it was incredibly dull, but it was still in the flashback bit, Claire & Chris still young kids in an orphanage. I might try again later!

Right, thanks.

Next. Not wasting fifteen quid on that then. It was a box office flop too. Something that can't be said for Paul WS Anderson's films.

Justin101 8th February 2022 05:25 PM

It’ll be £2.50 in CEX by the end of the year :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th February 2022 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 666730)

Yeah. I'll save the pennies until then.

MrBarlow 9th February 2022 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Wraith. 1986.

This was when Charlie Sheen was in his prime and starred as a ghost wanting revenge in the style of racer with a suped up sports car and a black leather bike gear wielding a shot gun. I always remember my dad wanted to rent this and the shop always had it sold out, you can tell this was a 80s film with the soundtrack, Randy Quaid was a bit more full of life and Clint Howard makes a appearance. This film still stands up for entertaining and the old nostalgia roller boots and the funky hair do's.

Attachment 239011

Susan Foreman 9th February 2022 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 666730)

...and it'll be £1:00 (or less) in every charity shop that I go into by the end of June

SymbioticFunction 9th February 2022 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 666393)
Nobody seems to have anything good to say about Halloween Kills. I thought the first one sucked so doubt i'll be shelling out for this one.

Halloween Kills really is terrible, it makes Halloween 2018 look like a minor classic. btw I was seriously unimpressed with the 2018 film first time around but I warmed up to it on a later second viewing. Decided to keep the blu-ray, definitely won't be revisiting Halloween Kills. Dreadful.

MrBarlow 9th February 2022 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Zombie High. 1988

This was the first time I have seen this, Virginia Madsen and Sherilyn Fenn play the new room mates at a prestigious school, yet the pupils seem to be well behaved. The first half just seems a bit slow and drag on with some character build up then goes onto the horror side which made me think of Horror Hospital and Disturbing Behaviour. There is some comedy mixed in and some good acting but felt the ending seemed to be a bit rushed, re-watch of this will happen.

Attachment 239015

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th February 2022 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
National Lampoon's Vacation (1983)

I bought this as part of a four film box set because i really wanted Christmas Vacation on Blu-ray which was £7.99 so for two pounds extra i got the other three films as well.

I adore Christmas Vacation it's a real favourite of mine however i'd not seen the original film since the vhs days. Unfortunately it doesn't hold up well and seemed really dated.

I know this came first but the SWAT ending seemed like a rip off from Christmas Vacation in fact the whole ending felt like a riff on Christmas Vacation. As i said i appreciate this came first but it seemed like a rip off because of my love for said Christmas film.

Most of the jokes fail to hit home and i barely cracked a smile, although i did laugh out loud when Jane krakowski discusses kissing with Audrey. Cousin Eddie always tends to raise a smile too but in general i was pretty blank faced throughout.

iank 9th February 2022 08:54 PM

I don't dislike it, but personally I found the much-maligned European Vacation much funnier. ;)

MrBarlow 9th February 2022 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ghostbusters: Afterlife. 2021

All I can say if you love/like the first two movies....well this will be right up your street. The comedy with is basically like the original you can't help but laugh and a lot better than the 2016 film and nobody tries to out act anyone. The stars of the original except Rick Moranis show up as their characters and still able to bring a laugh with some subtle nods, and some good special effects. Finn Wolfhard, Mckenna Grace, Logan Kim, Celeste O' Connor do play their parts well with Paul Rudd and Carrie Coon.

Attachment 239022

nicholasrope 9th February 2022 09:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Arena

In Space there is an intergalactic fighting competition in which no human has won in 50 years. Quite a novel concept but not much fighting. Still worth a look though.

The Founder

Michael Keaton is a Salesman who comes across what is the 1st McDonalds Restaurant and convinces the owners to start franchising it out. However things don't turn out well in the end. Not bad and I believe that the film tries to tell both sides of the story and that both sides had relevant points.

The Martian

Excellent Film which sees Matt Damon stranded on Mars and his attempts to survive and get back to Earth. This has a all star cast and what helps it out was the fact there was wit and humor as well as a good Soundtrack. This could have easily been another serious Sci-Fi Film.

Wrong Turn

The 2003 version which sees a group of people get stranded in The Woods but end up being hunted by Mountain Men. Some nice gore and it's shorter than I remembered. There was a annoying woman in it however.

trebor8273 9th February 2022 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 666788)
Arena

In Space there is an intergalactic fighting competition in which no human has won in 50 years. Quite a novel concept but not much fighting. Still worth a look though.

The Founder

Michael Keaton is a Salesman who comes across what is the 1st McDonalds Restaurant and convinces the owners to start franchising it out. However things don't turn out well in the end. Not bad and I believe that the film tries to tell both sides of the story and that both sides had relevant points.

The Martian

Excellent Film which sees Matt Damon stranded on Mars and his attempts to survive and get back to Earth. This has a all star cast and what helps it out was the fact there was wit and humor as well as a good Soundtrack. This could have easily been another serious Sci-Fi Film.

Wrong Turn

The 2003 version which sees a group of people get stranded in The Woods but end up being hunted by Mountain Men. Some nice gore and it's shorter than I remembered. There was a annoying woman in it however.

Well at least it was only one annoying person unlike the remake/reboot which they where all horrible and just couldn't wait for them to dying in the most painful and gruesome ways possible.

MrBarlow 9th February 2022 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 666792)
Well at least it was only one annoying person unlike the remake/reboot which they where all horrible and just couldn't wait for them to dying in the most painful and gruesome ways possible.

You weren't the only who was hoping that they would all die quickly

J Harker 9th February 2022 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 666783)
I don't dislike it, but personally I found the much-maligned European Vacation much funnier. ;)

I love the first three. Christmas Vacation for some reason does have a certain something extra. Bit more heart.
The Vegas one however was toss.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th February 2022 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 666794)
I love the first three. Christmas Vacation for some reason does have a certain something extra. Bit more heart.
The Vegas one however was toss.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

The recent Vacation for me was head and shoulders above any of the others bar Christmas Vacation. I positively howled with laughter the two times i've seen it.

SymbioticFunction 10th February 2022 01:02 PM

Watched the new Dune film. Surprisingly, I have to say that it's incredibly boring, not even interesting on a visual level. And I was so sure that this would be a safe purchase. I'm not sure how the excellent Blade Runner 2049 tanked yet Dune was so successful amongst critics and audiences.

Villeneuve's Dune fight scene moments are flat and tremendously unexciting and Stellan Skarsgard's Baron Harkonnen just seems to be a clone of Marlon Brando performances. I should probably mention that Once Upon A Time In The West is my favourite film to show that I'm not necessarily opposed to slower movies.

I would much rather rewatch the flawed Lynch adaption than this newer version. I actually think this is the most boring big budget film that I have ever seen. And it was a terrible blind buy.

Justin101 10th February 2022 02:18 PM

I've watched Dune three times since it came out, I think it looks gorgeous and spectacular! Like the saying goes "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" everyone has differing opinions which makes things interesting!

Funny though, the last time I watched it was with my friends over Christmas and they hated it. Especially Rebecca Fergusson's mumblecore performance.

I'm going to pick up the UHD as soon as it drops into a multibuy offer as I'm not planning to watch it again in the next month or so, therefore paying £25 over £15 is ludicrous, even for me and my spending ways :D

:pop2: :pop2: :pop2: :pop2: :pop2: / 5 for me :D

SymbioticFunction 10th February 2022 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 666803)
I've watched Dune three times since it came out, I think it looks gorgeous and spectacular! Like the saying goes "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" everyone has differing opinions which makes things interesting!

Funny though, the last time I watched it was with my friends over Christmas and they hated it. Especially Rebecca Fergusson's mumblecore performance.

I'm going to pick up the UHD as soon as it drops into a multibuy offer as I'm not planning to watch it again in the next month or so, therefore paying £25 over £15 is ludicrous, even for me and my spending ways :D

:pop2: :pop2: :pop2: :pop2: :pop2: / 5 for me :D

I side with your friends. :) I didn't even like the visual effects for the fighting shields! :)

Justin101 10th February 2022 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 666804)
I side with your friends. :) I didn't even like the visual effects for the fighting shields! :)

I did want to show them the Lynch film but I think any ideas of Dune had out-stayed their welcome :lol: I do wish they read the book though...

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th February 2022 02:41 PM

Another one to strike from the 'to buy' list.

If someone could just say Ghostbusters Afterlife sucked that would put an end to the new release buying list once and for all.

GB:A was the least interesting to me anyway as although i have the first tow on Blu i'm not the biggest fan of the films.

SymbioticFunction 10th February 2022 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 666805)
I did want to show them the Lynch film but I think any ideas of Dune had out-stayed their welcome :lol: I do wish they read the book though...

I do rate the spice diver fan edit of Lynch's Dune. I've seen it on YouTube and it's a big improvement. As regards the book, I tried reading it as a teenager but found it to be a bit of a slog and moved onto something else (hangs head in shame).

SymbioticFunction 10th February 2022 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 666806)
Another one to strike from the 'to buy' list.

If someone could just say Ghostbusters Afterlife sucked that would put an end to the new release buying list once and for all.

GB:A was the least interesting to me anyway as although i have the first tow on Blu i'm not the biggest fan of the films.

Afterlife is fun. Treads an interesting line between being an independent film and a 'summer blockbuster.' Nothing game changing but enjoyable enough.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th February 2022 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 666808)
Afterlife is fun. Treads an interesting line between being an independent film and a 'summer blockbuster.' Nothing game changing but enjoyable enough.

Being about kids in what is essentially an 80's film always brings The G**nies to mind which is enough to completely put me off.

SymbioticFunction 10th February 2022 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 666809)
Being about kids in what is essentially an 80's film always brings The G**nies to mind which is enough to completely put me off.

If you don't like The Goonies, then no, I wouldn't recommend picking up Afterlife. :)

Justin101 10th February 2022 03:40 PM

All the time watching it (Ghostbusters) I was thinking Demdike will hate this being a miserable git :lol: it's a shame because it really is a fun film :)

MrBarlow 10th February 2022 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dragnet. 1987.

Straight by the book Sergeant Joe Friday is partnered with a laid back Pep Streebek and try solve unexplained crimes and a attempt kidnapping.

Dan Arkroyd stars as the straight face by the book Friday while Tom Hanks plays the easy going Streebek who tries to get his new partner to be more like him and introduces him to the place where they serve good coffee...a stripper bar. Late Christopher Plummer plays the T.V. minister who also has his own agenda on crime and leads his followers of pagans. Dabney Coleman plays the publisher of magazines in a homage to Hugh Hefner. This does have some comedy provided by Hanks but just a shame Arkroyd didn't write in much comedy for himself except some facial expressions still entertaining.

Attachment 239028

nosferatu42 10th February 2022 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 666807)
I do rate the spice diver fan edit of Lynch's Dune. I've seen it on YouTube and it's a big improvement. As regards the book, I tried reading it as a teenager but found it to be a bit of a slog and moved onto something else (hangs head in shame).

Exactly the same on both counts, I've always liked Lynch's version but can see why it would be confusing to some, the Spicediver fan cut really adds to, explains and enhances the original version, just wish it could be legally released as Lynch is never going back to it.:nod:

I also read about a hundred pages of the book and never finished it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJykw3H4PDw

MrBarlow 10th February 2022 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Defender. 1994.

One of Jet Li's films that looks like it was influenced by the 1992 film The Bodyguard, which was originally titled The Bodyguard From Beijing that comes with all the out of placed bad dubbing, this combines martial arts and gun shooting which is a first for Li to combine with. The plot is easy a spoiled woman who was a witness to a killing is assigned a bodyguard and becomes a major pain in the ass and slowly becomes a friendly person. The fight scenes were decently choreographed and some comedy elements added in.

Attachment 239029

MrBarlow 11th February 2022 12:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Voice From The Stone. 2017.

A nurse takes a job to help with a young mute boy Jacob and thinks there is something going on within the house.

The premise of the film is something we have seen before but set in Tuscany and has a sinister Gothic mansion that seems to harbour a secret within the walls. Emilia Clarke plays the young nurse hired by Marton Csokas to care for his mute son who has never spoken since his mother's death played by Edward Dring. This was a very slow burner that seems to have a good direction with cinematography, perfect atmosphere setting but just falls flat towards the end that has certainly been done before.

Attachment 239030

MrBarlow 11th February 2022 03:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
V/H/S/ 94. 2021

A S.W.A.T. team raid a warehouse and find some tapes that a sinister cult have pre-recorded.

Storm Drain.
A small American town reports of a creature living in the sewers, a news reporter and a cameraman try to to uncover what is actually been seen by some residents.

The Wake
A funeral home assistant is working late during a storm and feels that something is wrong with the body in the coffin.

The Subject.
A doctor is kidnapping people and doing experiments on them only for a S.W.A.T. team to take him down unaware something else is coming to life and hunt them down.

The Terror.
A group of hunters are preparing to go on the biggest hunt only to fall foul to something else they have captured.

The first two films were decent and something new, V/H/S/ Viral segments were ok apart from the bunch of people trying to find a ice cream van on the loose that made no sense what so ever to me. I been hesitant to watch this, The Storm Drain Segment has almost the same ending as a classic 80s film. The Terror almost feels like the creatures have the same effects from Blade II. The Wake was more tense and felt like it was supposed to be on the premise of the occult. The Subject even though it seemed to drag on a bit has to be the best segment out of this film, will give the makers credit for the blood and gore effects.

Attachment 239031

Dave Boy 11th February 2022 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 239039
RESIDENT EVIL WELCOME TO RACOON CITY

Mmm.. okay.. This is a quite slow moving adaptation of RE 1 and RE2, sort of!
A lot of work has been put in to make a lot of what happens here a mirror image of the video games and I have to give it credit for that. I think this is very much aimed at the video game fandom rather than a casual viewer and some may get a kick out of looking for the herbs in the background etc..
The movie does has it's moments but there is a lot of slow build up and too much back story about Chris and Claire. Also they made Leon Kennedy a complete idiot for some reason.. just for laughs I expect. By the time the movie sorts itself out it comes to an ubrupt end. There was a teaser in the end credits but I doubt another movie will be made?
It's just a popcorn movie and if you just go along for the ride it's enjoyable enough.

MrBarlow 11th February 2022 11:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Crazies. 1973.

A toxin called "Project Trixie" is released over a small town polluting the main water and turning those infected psychotic and the military are sent in to contain it.

This was George A. Romero's attempt on mixing a toxin virus and a battle of survival and is able to do it on a budget and it pays off well, with some decent acting. Do often think who is crazy, the towns people for trying to escape or the military giving out orders to contain and eliminate those infected with a so-called cure that may not even work or the right time to administer it. Right from the start we are basically thrown into the madness and paranoia on who to trust with some tense moments.

Attachment 239040

Frankie Teardrop 12th February 2022 12:03 PM

DOCTOR SLEEP – The Overlook gets a revisit in this Mike Flannagan adaption, which I guess nods as much to Kubrik as it does to King’s sequel. Ewan McGregor plays Danny, who has grown up to be a barfly but finds his special powers calling him to assist super-shiner Kyleigh Curran in her struggles with creepy Rose The Hat. I found ‘Doctor Sleep’ to be lengthy but engaging, immersive enough to lull me into being able to Overlook the fact that it feels (and aesthetically resembles) a big Netflix series squashed into one handy feature; also, although it contained some surprisingly dark scenes, I couldn’t detect the disturbing atmosphere of, say ‘Occulus’ or ‘Absentia’. But – a good film.

SIREN – A group of stag-do guys go off to find the last-chance strip-club of their dreams… but is it the strip-club of their nightmares? Maybe it’s not even a strip-club really, there’s an awful lot of occult stuff happening. I checked this out on Netflix at the end of a long Friday and basically wondered if I might just yawn and fall asleep, but ‘Siren’ is oddly nightmarish and surprisingly creative in its little horror tableaus, with wormy-haired medusas and soul-to-soul memory transplants via off-brand tequila or something like that. Hannah Fierman, the titular Siren, has wide, creepy eyes and runs around naked. Based on a segment of ‘VHS’ that I have no recollection of.

HITCH HIKE TO HELL – Post- Norman Bates type drives a truck and strangles (with a coat hanger – he delivers laundry!) young runaways who remind him of his errant sister. ‘Hitch Hike to Hell’ was made in the late seventies but feels at least five years older than that. It has the creaky, grainy charm of knackered drive-in reels about it, and all the threadbare limitations of that kind of filmmaking – off-beam performances, minimal staging, a feeling of vast cheapness. Also, as is the case with many of those films seen in the cold light of day, its bark is worse than its bite. But you could retort by saying that a lot of those obscure drive-in movies had a very definite atmosphere, and that’s true here. There are only three or four sets in it, each appearing one after the other in pretty rigid repetition, and it conjures a peculiar claustrophobia which is very much in keeping with its subject matter. Also, there are classically ‘off’ grindhouse touches, like sudden outpourings of surreal music on the soundtrack, and the obvious comedy of Norm when he fiddles with his glasses before doing a brutal assault. And despite all I’ve said, there’s something fairly well-made about it, it doesn’t lurch around or drag. I saw this maybe thirteen or so years ago and found it slight but haunting – that’s pretty much what I thought of it after watching the Arrow blu ray.

SURF 2 – Sunny Californ-i-a type dudes hang out and surf (2) whilst an embittered nerd seeks vengeance against the Beautiful People via his brand of toxic cola, which happens to induce zombie mutation. If you’ve got this far without screaming “this obviously resembles something from Troma’s reject bin and I should avoid it at all costs,” well, good luck to you. I actively despise a certain kind of broad, T&A fuelled eighties teen comedy – mostly because I tend to watch movies whilst playing a harpsichord, smoothing the creases in my velvet smoking jacket and trying to look like Vincent Price – and this is basically one of those, made badly and spliced with what I guess are supposed to be nods towards horror; “The feeling is bad, the feeling is bad,” as Eddie Grant once said. Even low-brow hopes for gore are scuppered by zombies who do absolutely feck all, leaving me with jack shit to hang onto apart from the look / feel of eighties ripeness, a sense of giddy incoherence and a handful of weird bits. Do I think that those latter three qualities are worth the price of admission? No. For fans of the excruciating only, although at least you could say that it predates a couple of films with similar themes and has a good soundtrack.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th February 2022 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 666878)
– mostly because I tend to watch movies whilst playing a harpsichord, smoothing the creases in my velvet smoking jacket and trying to look like Vincent Price

:pound:

Demoncrat 12th February 2022 05:33 PM

The King's Man (2021, Matthew Vaughn)

I loved the first film. Thought the second was overblown and not as exciting. This? Woke drivel that looks worse than the first film. A fantasy set in the early part of the 20th century, with all the due care and attention shown to that era :pound:

Demon says AVOID.

Demoncrat 12th February 2022 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 666878)
DOCTOR SLEEP – The Overlook gets a revisit in this Mike Flannagan adaption, which I guess nods as much to Kubrik as it does to King’s sequel. Ewan McGregor plays Danny, who has grown up to be a barfly but finds his special powers calling him to assist super-shiner Kyleigh Curran in her struggles with creepy Rose The Hat. I found ‘Doctor Sleep’ to be lengthy but engaging, immersive enough to lull me into being able to Overlook the fact that it feels (and aesthetically resembles) a big Netflix series squashed into one handy feature; also, although it contained some surprisingly dark scenes, I couldn’t detect the disturbing atmosphere of, say ‘Occulus’ or ‘Absentia’. But – a good film.

SIREN – A group of stag-do guys go off to find the last-chance strip-club of their dreams… but is it the strip-club of their nightmares? Maybe it’s not even a strip-club really, there’s an awful lot of occult stuff happening. I checked this out on Netflix at the end of a long Friday and basically wondered if I might just yawn and fall asleep, but ‘Siren’ is oddly nightmarish and surprisingly creative in its little horror tableaus, with wormy-haired medusas and soul-to-soul memory transplants via off-brand tequila or something like that. Hannah Fierman, the titular Siren, has wide, creepy eyes and runs around naked. Based on a segment of ‘VHS’ that I have no recollection of.

HITCH HIKE TO HELL – Post- Norman Bates type drives a truck and strangles (with a coat hanger – he delivers laundry!) young runaways who remind him of his errant sister. ‘Hitch Hike to Hell’ was made in the late seventies but feels at least five years older than that. It has the creaky, grainy charm of knackered drive-in reels about it, and all the threadbare limitations of that kind of filmmaking – off-beam performances, minimal staging, a feeling of vast cheapness. Also, as is the case with many of those films seen in the cold light of day, its bark is worse than its bite. But you could retort by saying that a lot of those obscure drive-in movies had a very definite atmosphere, and that’s true here. There are only three or four sets in it, each appearing one after the other in pretty rigid repetition, and it conjures a peculiar claustrophobia which is very much in keeping with its subject matter. Also, there are classically ‘off’ grindhouse touches, like sudden outpourings of surreal music on the soundtrack, and the obvious comedy of Norm when he fiddles with his glasses before doing a brutal assault. And despite all I’ve said, there’s something fairly well-made about it, it doesn’t lurch around or drag. I saw this maybe thirteen or so years ago and found it slight but haunting – that’s pretty much what I thought of it after watching the Arrow blu ray.

SURF 2 – Sunny Californ-i-a type dudes hang out and surf (2) whilst an embittered nerd seeks vengeance against the Beautiful People via his brand of toxic cola, which happens to induce zombie mutation. If you’ve got this far without screaming “this obviously resembles something from Troma’s reject bin and I should avoid it at all costs,” well, good luck to you. I actively despise a certain kind of broad, T&A fuelled eighties teen comedy – mostly because I tend to watch movies whilst playing a harpsichord, smoothing the creases in my velvet smoking jacket and trying to look like Vincent Price – and this is basically one of those, made badly and spliced with what I guess are supposed to be nods towards horror; “The feeling is bad, the feeling is bad,” as Eddie Grant once said. Even low-brow hopes for gore are scuppered by zombies who do absolutely feck all, leaving me with jack shit to hang onto apart from the look / feel of eighties ripeness, a sense of giddy incoherence and a handful of weird bits. Do I think that those latter three qualities are worth the price of admission? No. For fans of the excruciating only, although at least you could say that it predates a couple of films with similar themes and has a good soundtrack.

:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

nicholasrope 12th February 2022 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 666882)
The King's Man (2021, Matthew Vaughn)

I loved the first film. Thought the second was overblown and not as exciting. This? Woke drivel that looks worse than the first film. A fantasy set in the early part of the 20th century, with all the due care and attention shown to that era :pound:

Demon says AVOID.

Yep, I agree. Other than the last scene, there was no way it was a Kingsmen Movie.

It was more like a Vipco special where they take a random Film and change the title so it'll be a sequel.

nicholasrope 12th February 2022 10:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Eddie

Really fun Whoopi Goldberg Film in which she becomes the Head Coach of the struggling New York Knicks Basketball Team. Whilst it follows all the usual clichés, it does them really well.

Bloodsucking Freaks

A Theatre Show Producer and his assistant basically torture Women in ways that are quite creative.

Remember first coming across this whilst it was being shown on The Horror Channel and couldn't believe what I was watching. Got the Troma DVD of this and whilst I'm not sure if it got released for Rental and if it did I'm surprised that it didn't end up on the Video Nasty List or that 88 Films got released for Blu-Ray.

Salo

What to say about this one other than if The Fun House got banned, then based on the content, it's a no brainer that if it was around on Video during the Video Nasty Era, then it should have had it's own feature on Nucleaus's Video Nasty Definitive Guide inbetween Nightmares In A Damaged Brain And Snuff.

I do know how it managed to avoid being banned and it's quite ludicrous and I watched it with the English dubbing. I'll give it that it did lead to a crescendo at the end and that there was no happy ending.

Dragnet

Wanted a nice palate cleanser and after Mrbarlow's recent review, this got the call as it was a favorite of mine when younger (Watched it many times after taping it when it was shown on BBC 1) and it's easy to forget that Tom Hanks starred in Comedy Films in the 80's. Still really enjoyable with good performances from Christopher Plumber and the Actress who played The Police Commissioner.

nosferatu42 13th February 2022 01:10 AM

Bloodsucking freaks is a unsung masterpiece.
Salo is also a F*cked up Sadean nightmare...guess which i prefer.

Salo is an arthouse classic, but i'd rather defend freaks in court.
Story of my life...

Demoncrat 13th February 2022 10:40 AM

Once showed a mate Salo, with the dub, and he laughed all the way through it :nod::lol:
Takes all sorts.