Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2012, 06:49 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Jaws - 1975 Us d: Steven Spielberg

To see this on the cinema screen was an honour. A genuine modern masterpiece and Spielberg's greatest achievement by some considerable amount.

From it's early, Hitchcock-like scenes of suspense, through the Altman-esque overlapping dialogue to the plain brilliant B film style final act out at sea this is an amalgamation of most of the best aspects of Hollywood story-telling. Plus it's a monster film.

Some occasional, understandable focus issues with the Panavision rigs out at sea on tiny boats, this is a glorious piece approaching flawlessness.

You MUST catch this at the cinema. You simply must.
I'm going to go and see it tomorrow. Can't wait.
Gojirosan likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 18th June 2012, 07:05 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
I must say I share your opinions on these.
Btw you should really check out Drakula Istanbul'da which is a much much better Dracula film (I do realize that The Living Corpse is not really a Dracula film btw )
It's available fansubbed on youtube (don't forget to click the cc button for the subs).
I'll have to check it out - is it completely devoid of singing and dancing though, b?!
Old 18th June 2012, 07:15 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I like singing and dancing. Especially dancing. Maybe I should check out the one that perturbed you, BE?
Old 18th June 2012, 07:18 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I'll have to check it out - is it completely devoid of singing and dancing though, b?!
There is a short dance routine in there I seem to remember but it's functional.

Btw I wish someone would restore this film properly.

"The 1953 Turkish film Dracula in Istanbul was the first to link historical Vlad with fictional Dracula: it was also the first since 1922's Nosferatu to show the Count with fangs."

"Drakula İstanbul'da (Dracula in Istanbul) is a Turkish 1953 film version of Bram Stoker's original novel Dracula.

The screenplay was based on a 1928 novel by Ali Riza Seyfi called Kazıklı Voyvoda ( "Impaler Voivode"), and is more or less a translation of Stoker's novel, but there is no Renfield character and Güzin, the "Mina" character, is a showgirl given to performing in revealing outfits. Drakula/Dracula is played by balding Atif Kaptan. Both the novel and the film make an explicit connection with the historical Vlad the Impaler, the Prince and three-time Voivode of Wallachia."

"This was only the third film version of the novel"
Old 18th June 2012, 07:20 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I like singing and dancing. Especially dancing. Maybe I should check out the one that perturbed you, BE?
It was my reaction to watching The Living Corpse (AKA Dracula in Pakistan) - see a couple of pages back. As I said in my short review, it is a film I would recommend as it is genuinely interesting, but for me, the Bollywood style dance routines completely de-railed the story and spoilt what could have been a very nice little film!
Old 18th June 2012, 07:25 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
It was my reaction to watching The Living Corpse (AKA Dracula in Pakistan) - see a couple of pages back. As I said in my short review, it is a film I would recommend as it is genuinely interesting, but for me, the Bollywood style dance routines completely de-railed the story and spoilt what could have been a very nice little film!
Yeah, so, I think I need to buy this.
Old 18th June 2012, 07:27 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
There is a short dance routine in there I seem to remember but it's functional.
Functional dancing... Is there such a thing?!

Quote:
Btw I wish someone would restore this film properly.

"The 1953 Turkish film Dracula in Istanbul was the first to link historical Vlad with fictional Dracula: it was also the first since 1922's Nosferatu to show the Count with fangs."

"Drakula İstanbul'da (Dracula in Istanbul) is a Turkish 1953 film version of Bram Stoker's original novel Dracula.

The screenplay was based on a 1928 novel by Ali Riza Seyfi called Kazıklı Voyvoda ( "Impaler Voivode"), and is more or less a translation of Stoker's novel, but there is no Renfield character and Güzin, the "Mina" character, is a showgirl given to performing in revealing outfits. Drakula/Dracula is played by balding Atif Kaptan. Both the novel and the film make an explicit connection with the historical Vlad the Impaler, the Prince and three-time Voivode of Wallachia."

"This was only the third film version of the novel"
I've had a quick look on Youtube and it does look interesting. Completely agree with you on the restoration issue; the quality is pretty shocking.

However, it's still watchable and has English subs, so that's all I need to be able to watch it! Tonight's viewing is now sorted
bdc likes this.
Old 18th June 2012, 07:39 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

"Annie Ball (Güzin) gives three impressive dance sequences that call to mind the American musicals of Betty Grable or Vera Ellen. Her flimsy attire hiding no secrets as she enthusiastically throws herself into her routines."

But they are functional and not too long...and they add some spice.

Btw I always wondered who Annie Ball was and why she appeared in many Turkish films?
Did they import her for the more risky stuff?
Old 18th June 2012, 07:44 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Btw I always wondered who Annie Ball was and why she appeared in many Turkish films?
Did they import her for the more risky stuff?
I've never heard of her either, but according to IMDB she's starred in a total of 9 films from 1953 - 1966:

Annie Ball - IMDb
Old 19th June 2012, 09:08 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Not so special for people outside of Germany perhaps, as we have a pretty late start of the film in September, but I am so flashed by the film, I post it here that I was fortunate to get the film at our weekly sneak preview yesterday - oh, what film? The excellent The Cabin in the Woods. I really think that this is a milestone in the genre, it combines good references and quotes to many well- or less-known films of the genre, fair acting, a well-working story with good twists and an welcome ending (no spoilers from me ). I can hardly await rthe BD release of this, I hope it will be treated well, becauswe there is so much that shouts out for bonus material throughout the film...

No less than 10/10 for me!

Like this? Share it using the links below!