Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

MrBarlow 8th March 2022 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 667947)
How can you watch a Christmas film in early March? :loco:

Simple...you stick in on and just sit back and watch it....that's how most people watch a movie:pound:

The streaming site doesn't keep things up for long and thought it be the only chance to watch this entry.

MrBarlow 8th March 2022 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 667948)
He's a psycho clearly :lol:

:crazy:

MrBarlow 8th March 2022 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Walking Tall. 1973.

Bufford "Bull" Pusser returns to home only to find corruption amongst the town's Sheriff and Judge when he is attacked and left for dead. He decides to run for the Sheriff at the next election and tries to clean up the town.

Based on the real life of Bufford who served as a technical advisor on this sees Joe Don Baker taking the role on and this was never received well by the audience. The remake is more action style with The Rock, this original version shows a bit more drama rather than swinging a bat around. Bruce Glover plays the deputy who doesn't agree with the present Sheriff's antics and Felton Perry plays the outcast who is deputised and joins the ranks of law and order. This does have it's fair share of violence for it's time but you can only cheer on the good guys.

Attachment 239362

MrBarlow 8th March 2022 11:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Walking Tall Part II. 1975.

Sheriff Pusser continues his war against crime in his district.

Bo Svenson takes on the role this time round as Bufford, Bruce Glover returns as deputy Grady and Robert DoQui as deputy Obra, taking over from the role Felton Perry played in the previous film. This does have more action sequences and good car chases. Richard Jaeckel has the pleasure of seeing his sports car being body cavity searched in public which you feel his sympathy in seeing a good car getting stripped. This was a decent sequel and worth watching. Before filming Sheriff Pusser was to appear on the film but was killed in a car crash that people believe was a contracted killing.

Attachment 239363

MrBarlow 9th March 2022 11:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Walking Tall: Final Chapter. 1977.

Bufford still Sheriff and still seeking prosecution for the death of his wife, has the town people slowly fearing him with a mob boss trying to stir things up. and a movie producer looking to make a film about him.

Bo Svenson returns as Bufford Pusser and shows his final days as the Sheriff who is voted out of office and returns to civilian life only for trouble to keep finding him. This is a bit more dramatic and has toned down some of the action but still enjoyable and does show the demise of his life. The acting is really enjoyable and shows Bufford trying to be reasonable when it comes to some youths and a lawyer disagreeing with his methods. These are certainly worth a watch.

Attachment 239365

MrBarlow 9th March 2022 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Substitute 3. 1999.

Mercenary Karl Thomasson takes a job as a English college Professor after his friend's daughter who is a teacher is beaten up by the school football players.

Treat Williams returns as Karl who goes undercover when a friend is beaten and comes across a mobster who is supplying enhancement steroids to the local college coach. There is plenty of action and good fight sequences, Treat is able to take on the biggest guy to prove a point in diplomacy. James Black and Claudia Christian play Rahmel and Andy who help out Karl and provide some laughter to the fight. Even though it's a b grade straight to video movie this was a decent entry into the franchise.

Attachment 239369

Super 8 9th March 2022 04:26 PM

Watched Brightburn (2019) on Film4 and was surprised that it was shown uncut and includes the 'glass splinter' scene which was cut by the BBFC for a 15 rating,So are the UK DVD/Blu ray cut also in the same two scenes?

The film can be seen on the All4 channel.

MrBarlow 9th March 2022 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Witching Season. 2016.

5 original anthology of stories.

Killer On The Loose
A escaped murderer stalks in the shadows of a house where a young girl takes refuge.

Princess
A mother and her young daughter move to a new house, in the basement the daughter finds stuff toys that the previous owner does not want them returned.

Not Alone
Kyle wakes up from a bad dream and tries to rationalise what is real and what isn't when he sees a shadow in his room.

They Live Inside Us
A horror novelist spends the night in a reportedly haunted house to find inspiration for his new book.

Is That You?
Courtney confined to her bedroom and sees a figure outside her house and thinks someone is playing a prank on her.

I don't think these are original as they seem to have been done before or r=the makers paying homage to other horror stories. Each one like previous anthology films we love do come with a twist that we can predict but it's fun to watch them play out. The acting isn't great and the stories last about 15 minutes except the third which lasts 30 minutes, the makers did try to give us chills.

Attachment 239372

Demoncrat 9th March 2022 05:40 PM

Trapped Alive (1988, Leszek Burzynski)

Sort of sleazy, sort of nasty, sort of a thriller ahem. A disparate group congregate when Cameron Mitchell sends his daughter off into the night. Extremely of its period this one. The main villain is a right bleedin' scumbag. Recommended? Hmm.

Liquid Sky (1982)

Revisit of this oddity as mate wanted to see it. A group of hipsters find more than the next fix when an alien lands on their tenement. Still a divisive flick, mate loved the dialogue and the odd titbit of info I threw in.

MrBarlow 9th March 2022 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Naked Witch. 1961.

A witch rises from her grave to seek revenge on the descendants of the ones who persecuted her.

This starts off like a documentary style tale telling of witches throughout the ages for about ten minutes then we are placed in the film, set in Germany Texas, a student finds the grave of a witch and is resurrected. I'm not gonna say this was a brilliant film, Libby Hall who plays the witch is seen naked...from a distance and then a black line appears obscuring her from the front. There is some mild nudity we see but not the best. The picture quality is a bit fuzzy like it was done on a very old camcorder. It does have more questions than answers, at 59 minutes it doesn't seem fast paced, it helped to pass time.

Attachment 239377

trebor8273 9th March 2022 08:56 PM

With horizon forbidden west, dying light 2, elden ring and gran turismo 7 haven't posted in awhile .

Finished all the Harry potter's as others mentioned deathly hallows part 1 was by for the worst just seemed Harry and co wander around for most of the movies, but part two was one of my favourites along with goblet of fire but prisoner of azkaban was probably my favourite.as the films went on they got darker an darker while Radcliff acting improves greatly.

Also watched the hills have eyes which is very gritty and a unsettling dirty atmosphere. The story of a family who are on a camping holiday and are hunted by a group of inbred cannibals but soon the tables are turned and the survivors become even more violent than thier torturers.

Now watching.

Roxanne (1987) and off too see The Batman tomorrow.

MrBarlow 9th March 2022 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Psychic Killer. 1975.

Arnold uses a medallion given to him that causes astro projectory and seeks revenge on those who he thinks have wronged him.

Jim Hutton plays the lead who is incarcerated in a mental asylum for a killing of a doctor and meets Emilio played by Stack Pierce who tells him he plans his revenge as well.

Although it isn't a long scene, the exposition between the two and why they are locked up is brilliant on how they give their dialogue, from two guys being strangers and looking out from a wire fence watching for a train, then to be good friends in a matter of minutes.

Paul Burke plays the detective who is baffled by two strange deaths in a matter of hours and soon finds the connection and trying to prove Arnold is behind the killings but doesn't know how he can do it. Julie Adams plays the psychiatrist who is drawn into the investigation and seeks help from a parapsychologist who may know the answer.

Right from the start to the end, this is fast paced and entertaining with a new take on the astro-projectory theme, this film doesn't rely on blood and gore but more on suspense moments as we see who is on the list and how they will meet their demise.

Attachment 239379

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th March 2022 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 668017)
Psychic Killer. 1975.

I've never seen this. keep hoping one of our labels will eventually release it.

I know it's out via someone Stateside.

MrBarlow 9th March 2022 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 668022)
I've never seen this. keep hoping one of our labels will eventually release it.

I know it's out via someone Stateside.

Vinegar Syndrome has released it but needs a good Blu Ray release here

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th March 2022 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 668023)
Vinegar Syndrome has released it but needs a good Blu Ray release here

Perhaps 101 might get their grubby mitts on it eventually. They seem to have a deal with VS for those AGFA titles. :pray:

MrBarlow 9th March 2022 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 668024)
Perhaps 101 might get their grubby mitts on it eventually. They seem to have a deal with VS for those AGFA titles. :pray:

It needs a good release

MrBarlow 10th March 2022 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Carnage. 1984.

A newly wed couple move into a new house where a couple had committed suicide years earlier and believe they are haunting the house.

I came across this film two years ago and thought very little of it, decided to give it a re-watch, managed to find a decent copy of it online and strangely I enjoyed it, the acting may not be the greatest, the visual effects of the ghosts appearing and disappearing isn't the best. The kill scene is a laugh as you can see its a mannequin. The house itself does have that Gothic looking atmosphere that makes it the perfect setting but with Andy Milligan you really can't complain.

Attachment 239381

MrBarlow 10th March 2022 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Vendetta. 2015.

After two killer brothers go free and target a detective's family and kills his wife and child. Denvers decides to get payback, take out one brother and get thrown in jail to confront the other brother.

Hell in a cell...the movies tagline made by WWE who also produced this film with The Soska Sisters at the directors chair so you can expect plenty of blood splatter. Dean Cain plays the vengeful detective who wants payback on the convict Victor Abbott played by Paul Wight (The Big Show). This is a bit like In Hell meets Lock Up, the pace is decent and plenty good fights but Big Show is best staying in the ring rather be in a film.

Attachment 239386

Demoncrat 10th March 2022 06:36 PM

Carry On Columbus (1992, Gerald Thomas)

Well I finally cracked and watched it. Now at least I can say I found a worse CO than England :pound::rolleyes:

Jim Dale takes a break from singing on stage to carry on :behindsofa: the fine tradition of knob and pussy gags we all grew up with.
Or not. Never mind the fact it looked more like one of the TV episodes, it just wasn't funny even if the Inqusition did make me larf when they turned up to spoil things for our intrepid adventurer. Woeful. I never learn.

MrBarlow 10th March 2022 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 668066)

Well I finally cracked and watched it. Now at least I can say I found a worse CO then England :pound::rolleyes:

Jim Dale takes a break from singing on stage to carry on :behindsofa: the fine tradition of knob and pussy gags we all grew up with.
Or not. Never mind the fact it looked more like one of the TV episodes, it just wasn't funny even if the Inqusition did make me larf when they turned up to spoil things for our intrepid adventurer. Woeful. I never learn.

I'm sure we have all seen it Demon and one thats always forgotten easily.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th March 2022 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Church (1989)

A group of worshippers and a wedding party are trapped in a cathedral when the new librarian is possessed by the spirits of devil worshippers, massacred centuries before and buried beneath the building.

The Church is a stylish and often gruesome film with a confused narrative that often doesn't make sense but this kind of adds to the films charm. The film seems much influenced by it's producer and co-writer, Dario Argento, especially with it's inventively gory deaths, lavishly surreal set pieces and lashings of religious hokum, yet it is also these reasons that the film yields greater rewards with repeat viewings.

The imagery on offer is simply superb. The medieval witch hunt is downright nasty especially the burial of the bodies, not all who are dead i might add, under lime as the church foundations are laid. This of course is just the beginning. As the evil under the church is woken from it's sleep the film becomes a brilliant macabre classic. Naturally there's strong gore but the Gothic atmosphere offered up by Soavi is thick with foreboding. From captivating sequences such as the winged demon with a naked woman wrapped inside it's wings to the final set piece as the bodies rise from the grave as one in a seething, malignant alter of human sacrifice. Soavi defines modern Gothic horror to a tee.

Watching the film in HD via the Shameless blu last night was pretty awesome.

nicholasrope 10th March 2022 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 668066)

Well I finally cracked and watched it. Now at least I can say I found a worse CO then England :pound::rolleyes:

Guess you saw this on Talking Pictures?

nicholasrope 10th March 2022 09:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Cyrano

Peter Dinklidge is the titular character who has a crush on Haley Williams but helps another man to woo her. I found this to be rather enjoyable with Dinklidge putting in a rather good performance.

Soylent Green

What is the secret of Soylent Green? well if you watch the Trailer, it tells you. This supposedly 1973 Sci-fi Film is set in 2022 and things aren't going too well in New York with rioting and food shortages. Charlton Heston is a Cop assigned to investigating a murder of a Businessman. This Film had some really good elements (I'm sure some World Leaders would like to use The Scoops in real life lol) but it's too slow. Maybe a remake would tighten it up and fulfill the potential this Film has.

Coming 2 America

Didn't realize that this was going to be released on physical media this week and whilst it does bring back most of the cast from the 1st Film and gives the Easter Eggs and nods to the original, this was rather a missed opportunity.

Demoncrat 10th March 2022 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 668076)
Guess you saw this on Talking Pictures?

Yes. Was housesitting so took advantage ahem. Lesson learned :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th March 2022 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Suspiria (1977)

If i thought the Shameless release of The Church was awesome it paled in comparison with Shameless parent company Cult Films release of Suspiria which i watched on Tuesday night.

High definition really makes the colour palettes used by Argento stand out even more, it's absolutely beautiful to look at, a feast for the eyes whilst the new 5:1 DTS sound mix is truly something else and takes Goblin's legendary score to a totally new dimension.

An audio visual delight.

MrBarlow 11th March 2022 09:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Night Watch. 1973.

A woman believes she witnessed a murder but who was actually murdered.

This was a blind watch for me and had no idea what I was in for, Elizabeth Taylor plays Ellen who had a mental breakdown after the death of her husband years earlier and now living with her new husband. During a thunderstorm she believes she has seen a murder in the abandoned house across from hers, the police search the house and find nothing.

This was a bit tense and feels like Rear Window set in the posh part of London, Laurence Harvey and Billie Whitelaw plays the husband and best friend and try to prove that there was no murder committed. Bill Dean plays the Police Inspector who leads this mysterious investigation. This does have a good direction as you think it goes one way then throws a curve ball then throws in another. This may seem low budget but certainly worth watching.

Attachment 239399

MrBarlow 11th March 2022 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Topper. 1937.

A fun loving couple die in a car crash and are stuck in limbo, and come into contact with Cosmo Topper and bring some cheer into his life.

Cary Grant and Constance Bennett play the couple who's lives come to a tragic end, they have done nothing bad nor good and decide to do something good for once. The pace for this is a bit slow but Grant does show a lot of comedy and perks in this, the effects for this at the time are quite good which shows a drunk guy being carried around. This was the first of the Roland Young trilogy of the Topper character.

Attachment 239401

iank 11th March 2022 08:41 PM

The Cottage. A pair of bumbling kidnappers get more than they bargained for when they abduct a gangster's daughter and hide out in a remote country cottage, not only from their gobby hostage, but the farmer next door... who turns out to be a demented serial killer. Andy Serkis and Reece Shearsmith star in this late 2000s British flick that starts as a comedy-thriller and then heads into Texas Chainsaw Massacre territory in the second half (albeit still with a sense of humour). Never heard of this till recently, but it's a hoot, funny and VERY gory. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th March 2022 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 668129)
The Cottage. A pair of bumbling kidnappers get more than they bargained for when they abduct a gangster's daughter and hide out in a remote country cottage, not only from their gobby hostage, but the farmer next door... who turns out to be a demented serial killer. Andy Serkis and Reece Shearsmith star in this late 2000s British flick that starts as a comedy-thriller and then heads into Texas Chainsaw Massacre territory in the second half (albeit still with a sense of humour). Never heard of this till recently, but it's a hoot, funny and VERY gory. :nod:

Jennifer Ellison's suited to that role. :lol: A fun film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th March 2022 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No, the Case Is Happily Resolved (1973)

An excellent Italian crime drama about a young man who witnesses the murder of a prostitute by a respected university professor. To avoid hassle he decides not to report it to the police but soon realises the killer has reported him to the police and blamed him for the murder.

Another from Arrow's Years of Lead box set and another classy film. The initial murder is pretty harrowing to watch but the rest of the film plays out like a game of cat and mouse as the young man tries to extricate himself from the crime as the police hunt him down. It's highly intriguing and a very satisfying watch even if the ending is as downbeat and ambiguous as at all possible.

As with the other two films i've seen in this collection the film deals with the class struggle in Italy during the early seventies and the idea that the wealthy commit crimes partly out of the dreariness of their own lives and also because they simply feel they can get away with it.

The acting is uniformly excellent and the plot a real gripper. Vittorio Salerno's film is for me an unheard of gem and a beautifully vitriolic swipe at the Italian justice system.

Demoncrat 12th March 2022 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Treasure Of The Amazon (1985, Rene Cardona Jr)

Stuart Whitman? Donald Pleasance?? Bradford Dillman??? Sold.
RC does Indiana Jones (cough) the only way he can. Maximum Exploitation Style.
Human rights be damned as they burn the locals and each other in a race for some trinkets. See someone eat a spider! :lol::behindsofa:
A hoot.

MrBarlow 12th March 2022 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Topper Returns. 1941.

Ann Carrington is accompanied by her fun loving friend Gail to attend her's father manor and Gail is murdered and her spirit seeks help from Topper who they meet briefly.

Roland Young returns as the banker who has ghost troubles again when he is trying to prove there was a murder and yet the body has disappeared and Donald MacBride turns up as the inspector to investigate who can't really grasp on what's going on. Eddie "Rochester" Anderson plays Topper's chauffeur who is dragged to the Carrington Manor and believes the house to be haunted before anyone has died.

This was a fun and laughter sequel set in a dark gloomy mansion with a few hidden secrets and a man dressed in black who lurks in the shadows, aside from being a comedy this does have the usual who dunnit murder mystery that we all love, this has always been entertaining to watch.

Attachment 239422

Frankie Teardrop 12th March 2022 01:55 PM

SCANNER COP – Like the ‘Scanners’ sequels, ‘Scanner Cop’ does away with the Cronenberg original’s characteristic petri-dish atmosphere and plays it like a straight B-movie. It starts with a kid who impresses the local cops when they bust his scanner dad; years later, said youngster’s own psychic talents are put to work when he pins on a badge and takes on ultimate movie creepo Richard Lynch. ‘Scanner Cop’ serves up its meat and potatoes with the right attitude – keep it punchy, keep it moving, pause only to show the odd exploding head or freaktastic asylum dream sequence. No new ground broken here, but it’s a recipe that works. Nostalgics like myself will probably appreciate the added charm of that clunky-slick early nineties look.

THE DARK RED – A woman in a psych ward recounts her cautionary tale, which is basically “don’t get off with charming young men who you meet at funeral wakes, even if you don’t believe they’ll ultimately leave you in the clutches of a baby-snatching cult.” A few years back director Dan Bush made ‘The Vault’, a James Franco supernatural heist flick which I quite rated despite its mixed reviews. I was less taken with ‘The Dark Red’. It hits a few of the right notes at first with its washed-out, wintry atmosphere, but there is something a bit stilted and on-the-nose about the way it unfolds, too much exposition and too many obvious moves, though strangely enough the silly, slightly actiony pay-back climax made me perk up a bit. Worth a look if you can’t sleep and fancy a few hours of aimless streaming.

AMITYVILLE: DOLLHOUSE – We pay another visit to Amityville (or maybe just to anywhere in small-town America, it’s not entirely clear) and to that horror perennial, the theme of familial strife. Young kid’s birthday present is a creepy doll’s house (based on – you’ve guessed it); for the vaguest of reasons, harsh-looking insects swoop inside unwary ears and mom gets horny for her stepson’s toned abs. ‘Amityville: Dollhouse’ doesn’t hang together very well at all and more than once I found myself thinking “they’re making it up as they’re going along, and if there is some idea that unifies this mess then frankly it’s too much effort to figure out”. With its undead dads and interdimensional portals, AD perhaps leans closer to films like ‘Poltergeist’ and ‘House’ than the original. It strains for a few of those eighties / nineties “big fx-type moments”, particularly near the end, but it can’t quite deliver them because of a paucity of means. Still, a film with as little to say as AD is wise to prioritise throwaway moments of schlock horror over sense, and on this level it's mildly enjoyable.

MrBarlow 12th March 2022 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I Married A Witch. 1942.

A 17th century witch returns to persecute the descendant of the person who hanged her, a up and coming politician.

Veronica Lake plays Jennifer who is released from her prison in a tree thanks to a bolt of lightning, and plans to seek revenge with Cecil Kellaway who keeps reminding her that she is evil and that's why they were hanged. Fredric March plays the politician Wooley who seems to fall for Jennifer.

From start to finish this had a good comedy moments, the effects do seem outdated at times but the acting in this made it more entertaining, Veronica Lake seems to be known more for her film noir roles but in this she is shown to have a comedic side rather being a femme fatale, certainly worth checking out this little number.

Attachment 239423

Demoncrat 12th March 2022 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 668152)
SCANNER COP – Like the ‘Scanners’ sequels, ‘Scanner Cop’ does away with the Cronenberg original’s characteristic petri-dish atmosphere and plays it like a straight B-movie. It starts with a kid who impresses the local cops when they bust his scanner dad; years later, said youngster’s own psychic talents are put to work when he pins on a badge and takes on ultimate movie creepo Richard Lynch. ‘Scanner Cop’ serves up its meat and potatoes with the right attitude – keep it punchy, keep it moving, pause only to show the odd exploding head or freaktastic asylum dream sequence. No new ground broken here, but it’s a recipe that works. Nostalgics like myself will probably appreciate the added charm of that clunky-slick early nineties look.

THE DARK RED – A woman in a psych ward recounts her cautionary tale, which is basically “don’t get off with charming young men who you meet at funeral wakes, even if you don’t believe they’ll ultimately leave you in the clutches of a baby-snatching cult.” A few years back director Dan Bush made ‘The Vault’, a James Franco supernatural heist flick which I quite rated despite its mixed reviews. I was less taken with ‘The Dark Red’. It hits a few of the right notes at first with its washed-out, wintry atmosphere, but there is something a bit stilted and on-the-nose about the way it unfolds, too much exposition and too many obvious moves, though strangely enough the silly, slightly actiony pay-back climax made me perk up a bit. Worth a look if you can’t sleep and fancy a few hours of aimless streaming.

AMITYVILLE: DOLLHOUSE – We pay another visit to Amityville (or maybe just to anywhere in small-town America, it’s not entirely clear) and to that horror perennial, the theme of familial strife. Young kid’s birthday present is a creepy doll’s house (based on – you’ve guessed it); for the vaguest of reasons, harsh-looking insects swoop inside unwary ears and mom gets horny for her stepson’s toned abs. ‘Amityville: Dollhouse’ doesn’t hang together very well at all and more than once I found myself thinking “they’re making it up as they’re going along, and if there is some idea that unifies this mess then frankly it’s too much effort to figure out”. With its undead dads and interdimensional portals, AD perhaps leans closer to films like ‘Poltergeist’ and ‘House’ than the original. It strains for a few of those eighties / nineties “big fx-type moments”, particularly near the end, but it can’t quite deliver them because of a paucity of means. Still, a film with as little to say as AD is wise to prioritise throwaway moments of schlock horror over sense, and on this level it's mildly enjoyable.

:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:
SC just about makes my day every time it comes into view. Kudos!!

Demoncrat 12th March 2022 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fatal Possession (2002, Adeeb Barsoum)

Go on, guess why I watched it then :laugh:
What does this remind me of? Not much. The rather grounded :lol: tale of Egyptian fandom and its perils is still whirling around my head. Was it really that dull? Did I really pause it halfway through to finish watching YMS play Silent Hill really badly? (I did). Rivals Don't Go In The Woods for sheer tedium. For all that I was transfixed. The actors are .... uniformly amateur, the print was out of sync and the FX :pound:
I needed a laugh and I got one. Double bill with The Pyramid :nod::laugh::rolleyes:

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th March 2022 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Creeping Flesh (1973)

Peter Cushing stars as a scientist who discovers a mysterious skeletal creature whilst exploring New Guinea. On returning home he discovers it comes alive when touched by human blood, eventually transforming into a murderous creature.

Christopher Lee lends the film a strong presence in a co-starring role as an asylum curator.

This is a grim entry in the Gothic cannon, produced by Tigon and well directed at a swift pace by the excellent Freddie Francis. Francis uses many long shots and gives the film a sense of bleak desolation as the creature stalks the countryside in the form of a black hooded putrifying ghoul.

Cushing is partly in Frankenstein mode here. Being slightly sympathetic but also coming across as obsessed by his work with terrifying results.

Francis even goes to the extreme of having a camera shot from inside the creatures head as it stalks Cushing, the viewer looking through the eye holes throughout the attack. A technique and viewpoint he used constantly in his earlier film The Skull (1965)

MrBarlow 13th March 2022 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dracula: Prince Of Darkness. 1966.

10 years have passed since Dracula was defeated by Van Helsing, Four tourists take shelter in Castle Dracula and he is resurrected by the blood from one of the group.

Christopher Lee returns to the role he is more remembered for in this Hammer movie, This entry was one I was never daft on but over the years it has definitely grown on me and more appreciated. Unlike Horror Of Dracula Lee never utters a word but is able to bring terror with his presence.

Barbara Shelley, Francis Matthews, Suzan Farmer and Charles Tingwell plays the tourists who are told to stay away from from the Castle and find themselves being taken to it and meet Klove played by Philip Latham who gives a creepy sinister performance as Dracula's servant. Andrew Keir plays Father Sandor of the monk monastery and believes there is no more evil yet warns the travelers of the Castle, he gives out a great performance as the angry yet empathetic monk who wants to wipe out Dracula once and for all.

This is very atmospheric with the inside of the castle thanks to great cinematography, even inside the monastery it may seem dark until Klove appears then there is the dark cloud over it. The resurrection of Dracula is well done for it's time and a lot of effort put into it. The acting is brilliant to watch even with Thorley Waters who seems to be a take on Renfeild eating a fly.

Attachment 239439

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th March 2022 06:52 PM

Nice write up of an excellent film, Mr.B. :clap:

MrBarlow 13th March 2022 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 668211)
Nice write up of an excellent film, Mr.B. :clap:

:thankingyou: good sir, just in the process of buying Dracula Has Risen from The grave and Taste the blood of Dracula.