Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

nosferatu42 16th March 2022 10:23 PM

I haven't got a photographic memory but i've got a F*ckographic memory, as in i remember stupid shit that just screws with yer mind at any given opportunity.

nosferatu42 16th March 2022 10:24 PM

Also I kinda have a thing for early Diane Keaton, She's sweet as in Sleeper and Love and Death.

:behindsofa:

nosferatu42 16th March 2022 10:32 PM

Oh yer he also mentioned I bury the living and Wait until dark, all films that i sought out and enjoyed, I'll have to look it up, it was a thing where he describes 20 films in a loose way. Or something like that.:confused:

nosferatu42 16th March 2022 10:36 PM

I was a proper King fiend until he started writing 1000 page novels, then i was f*ck that shit.
IT killed King for me.
As i get older i'm even more so...
I want a 200 page book and an 1hr and a half film, anything longer and i might have a heart attack and never know how it all works out.

nosferatu42 16th March 2022 11:19 PM

Ok the Danse Macabre thing is on page 207 in my copy.:pop2:

MrBarlow 16th March 2022 11:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing But The Night. 1973.

Three trustees of the Van Traylen fund die of apparently suicide, when a coach carrying children and other trustees crashes, Police Colonel Bingham teams up with pathologist Doctor Ashley to discover what actually happened.

This was good little number of a psychological chiller with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, not as enemies but more acceptances and are on the same wave length that something mysterious is happening around a home and the centre is a young girl Mary played by Gwyneth Strong.

Keith Barron plays a young doctor who believes that hypnotherapy can open Mary's mind and uncover what exactly happened with the bus crash and involves a journalist who uncovers more than she expected. Diana Dors plays Mary's mother with a tormented past and can come across as a real bitch but also has her intentions with her daughter's safety.

The main part is set in London then switches to a island in Scotland that makes it feel like a good Hammer Horror film set on a Scottish Island. This did peak my interest on how it changed location and does come with a nice twist and murders that happen and be connected with a cult or pagan theme. This was a blind watch and definitely worth a watch.

Attachment 239469

nosferatu42 17th March 2022 01:29 PM

Just reading that part of Danse Macabre i mentioned yesterday while i was a bit tipsy.

In the segment King sets a quiz where he describes 20 films he finds frightening.

Describing Looking for Mr Goodbar he says...

"Once upon a time there was a sad girl who picked up men in bars, because when the men came home with her she didn't feel so sad. Except one night she picked up a man who was wearing a mask. Underneath the mask he was the boogeyman."

I remembered seeing it on TV when i was young and it stuck with me, Keaton is very good in it and the ending is pretty disturbing. Not released on dvd or anything in the UK, i recorded it off channel 5 when it was shown a few years back.

And just because i'm looking at the page here are the films King recommends.

1. Wait until dark
2. Halloween
3. Psycho
4. Coma
5. Looking for Mr Goodbar
6. Alien
7. The Haunting
8. Midnight Express
9. The Bad Seed
10. Night of the hunter
11. Night watch (1973)
12. Night of the living dead
13. The Birds
14. Dementia 13
15. Whatever happened to Baby Jane
16. I bury the living
17. Macabre (William Castle)
18. X- Man with the x ray eyes
19. The Omen
20. Deliverance

Haven't seen Macabre or Night watch still so may have to look them up.:pop2:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th March 2022 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 668376)
Haven't seen Macabre or Night watch still so may have to look them up.:pop2:

Lambert Bava's Macabre is a good film, along with House by the Cemetery and Sleepless, one of the first released by Arrow Video. There is a major point that is often given away by the poster artwork, so try and avoid that if you want to get the most from the story.

nosferatu42 17th March 2022 03:44 PM

I've seen and own the Bava Macabre the one King refers to is by William Castle.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th March 2022 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 668380)
I've seen and own the Bava Macabre the one King refers to is by William Castle.

I'm sure I have seen it and there is a reasonable quality version on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-zD8bV5jPI

As one of our esteemed members might say, rewatch!

;)

MrBarlow 17th March 2022 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Unbreakable. 2000.

David Dunn is the sole survivor of a train crash and learns something extraordinary about himself.

After The Sixth Sense M. Night Shyamalan created something very different that focuses on comic book collector Elijah Price played brilliantly by Samuel L. Jackson who suffers from a genetic disorder that his bones break and finds out there is someone opposite to him, David played by Bruce Willis, who isn't a action star but a family man in a simple job with problems.

This isn't really fast paced but slow that is done deliberately for the character build up between the two main stars as we learn from their past, there can be moments of tension that is built up greatly with a good back ground score and does have Shyamalan's idea of a good twist added in with Price's ending speech that makes it feel like a superhero film with his nickname "Mr Glass".

Attachment 239472

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th March 2022 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 668398)
Unbreakable. 2000.

David Dunn is the sole survivor of a train crash and learns something extraordinary about himself.

After The Sixth Sense M. Night Shyamalan created something very different that focuses on comic book collector Elijah Price played brilliantly by Samuel L. Jackson who suffers from a genetic disorder that his bones break and finds out there is someone opposite to him, David played by Bruce Willis, who isn't a action star but a family man in a simple job with problems.

This isn't really fast paced but slow that is done deliberately for the character build up between the two main stars as we learn from their past, there can be moments of tension that is built up greatly with a good back ground score and does have Shyamalan's idea of a good twist added in with Price's ending speech that makes it feel like a superhero film with his nickname "Mr Glass".

Attachment 239472

I've never seen this but bought Glass cheaply from Sainsbury's. I turned it off after twenty minutes. I never turn off films. It was unwatchable.

MrBarlow 17th March 2022 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 668399)
I've never seen this but bought Glass cheaply from Sainsbury's. I turned it off after twenty minutes. I never turn off films. It was unwatchable.

Unbreakable is certainly worth a watch and it's a lot better than The Village and The Happening :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th March 2022 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 668401)
Unbreakable is certainly worth a watch and it's a lot better than The Village and The Happening :lol:

I bet it's not a comedy classic like Signs though.

MrBarlow 17th March 2022 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 668403)
I bet it's not a comedy classic like Signs though.

The only thing i remember about that film was Joaquin Phoenix shouting vamonos at the t.v. :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th March 2022 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 668404)
The only thing i remember about that film was Joaquin Phoenix shouting vamonos at the t.v. :lol:

I was laughing out loud at the car crash scene with the tree whilst in the cinema. I was getting some looks as well from people who thought i was being insensitive but it was so funny.

MrBarlow 17th March 2022 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 668405)
I was laughing out loud at the car crash scene with the tree whilst in the cinema. I was getting some looks as well from people who thought i was being insensitive but it was so funny.

Watching that bit I thought is she gonna say "tell Scarlett I don't give a dam" the way Jim Carrey said it in The Mask :pound:

MrBarlow 18th March 2022 03:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Rage. 2017.(aka Instant Death)

John Bradley, a former Spec Ops soldier suffering PTSD decides to travel to England and re-connect with his daughter and granddaughter. After seeing a killing, the local mob boss decides to attack his family, John wants his revenge.

I don't think i have seen anything done by director Ara Paiaya but he seems to get praise for his work, half the cast I don't think I have seen or heard of except main stair Lou Ferringo. At the Age of being 63-64 he still has the big physique and he doesn't slow down while packing a good punch.

This does have a lot of violence and some moments may be upsetting to others with a violent rape, beating, this may be seen as a British version of Death Wish and Rambo mixed together, although at times Ferringo seems to find it tough to act this was entertaining.

Attachment 239476

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th March 2022 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 668398)
Unbreakable. 2000.

I recently bought the Blu-ray of Unbreakable after watching a video in which Quentin Tarantino named it as one of his favourite movies from 1992-2009. I've seen it once but can't remember what I thought about it at the time.

I wanted to watch again before re-watching Split.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th March 2022 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 668411)
I recently bought the Blu-ray of Unbreakable after watching a video in which Quentin Tarantino named it as one of his favourite movies from 1992-2009. I've seen it once but can't remember what I thought about it at the time.

I wanted to watch again before re-watching Split.

That was it - Split...not Glass. :doh:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th March 2022 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 668416)
That was it - Split...not Glass. :doh:

I haven't seen Glass yet – it's one I want to watch because I thought Split was engaging, suspenseful, and entertaining.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th March 2022 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 668423)
I haven't seen Glass yet – it's one I want to watch because I thought Split was engaging, suspenseful, and entertaining.

Ah so there is a film called Glass. I was right in the first place then. It was Glass i turned off after twenty minutes.

Demoncrat 18th March 2022 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 668423)

Do not watch Glass then. :lol:
It is none of those things.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th March 2022 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Colt 38 Special Squad (1976)

An awesome poliziottesco movie. Massimo Dallamano's film is action all the way as a police captain whose wife has just been murdered by crime lord Ivan Rassimov sets up a secret squad of four rogue cops, each armed with an unlicensed .38 Colt Diamondback revolver and a fast motorbike.

With more than a few nods to Clint Eastwood's Magnum Force from three years previous this is fast paced, violent mayhem, replete with thunderous road chases and shoot outs a plenty.

Totally different to the other three films in the Years of Lead box set i've seen (Still got Highway Racer to go) as it's not as much of a social commentary and more a classic breathless action packed crime film with several brutal terrorist style bombings thrown in.

I really enjoyed this. Highly recommended.

J Harker 18th March 2022 09:34 PM

Interesting discussion on M.Night Shayamamlyamamlalala or whatever his name is. I like all his films in one way or another except The Crhappening. Good lord that was bad. I've not seen Glass or his latest Old(?) yet.
Split was ok if a bit messy.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th March 2022 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Going in Style (2017)

Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and Alan Arkin play three old guys whose bank has basically shit on them and their pensions so decide to rob it. Besides they have nothing to lose.

A charming, amiable, light hearted film that has fun with the age of the characters involved.

I picked up the Blu-ray today for the sum of a single English pound and for the third time of asking had a lot of fun watching it.

Although perhaps not a film anyone would call an all time favourite it's one that certainly has it's moments (often senior ones) as well as a few laughs and a whole lot of smiles. An easy watch - you know what? I've seen this more times than i've seen The Godfather.

Frankie Teardrop 19th March 2022 09:17 AM

SAINT – ‘Amsterdamned’ director Dick Maas hits back with this splattery seasonal horror comedy, which is kind of a culturally specific take on the ‘evil Santa’ trope. St Nicholas, patron saint of children, is celebrated on the 6th of December in Holland, so it’s a surprise to see him trashing Amsterdam on his white steed and setting fire to paediatric wards; apparently, it’s all connected with lunar cycles and cover-ups involving the Vatican (and probably The Hague). ‘Sint’, which somehow also plays a bit like a raucous riff on John Carpenter’s ‘The Fog’, is quite good fun overall, but it didn’t hook me. I don’t have a massive aversion to what I would call ‘mid-period CGI’, but sometimes it has a cheap smoothness about it that grates if it’s in the wrong place, and maybe ‘Sint’ seemed to slide a little out of focus in the bits between the mayhem. Nevertheless, it was amusing to observe Holland’s laid-back attitude to dildo-based humour in the classroom.

ALISON’S BIRTHDAY – Thanks to the Demoncrat and their recent review for reminding me that this one is doing the rounds. It’s an early eighties Australian offering that opens with a Ouija board séance, then delves into occult birth rights and covens. Alison is asked to ‘come back home’ for her birthday by her sinister aunt... guess what? On the one hand AB is pulled down by stock characters and a conventional storyline, but it rises above all that with passages of quiet eeriness and a skewed, dreamy late-seventies atmosphere; the scene where Alison discovers a mini-Stonehenge reminded me of the sequence in ‘Picnic at Hanging Rock’ when the camera pans across the stones and crags, making them loom with a creepy watchfulness as the electronic soundtrack throbs away. Other nice moments include the appearance of a shimmering entity at a torch-lit ceremony, and a graveyard chase made wonky by bursts of electro-punk. Torpid in places and stiff in others, but definitely worth catching for the weird vibes, right up until that total downer of an ending.

NOBODY SLEEPS IN THE WOODS TONIGHT – Some internet and social media-addicted young people have been sent to a behavioural modification camp in the middle of a massive Polish forest. Too much fresh air and a lack of Facebook are the least of their worries when a duo of pustulant ogres decide to ravage everything in sight. It took me a while to warm to it, but after a slow start NSITWT lays on a good dose of splattery mayhem; if that doesn’t float your boat, there’s something interesting going on in the way it melds straight-ahead slasher tropes with nods to less obvious sources such as fairy tales and weird fiction (‘The Colour Out Of Space’, at a pinch.) It looks good in that slightly hyperreal, modern way and the off-beam soundtrack simultaneously intrigues and irritates. In the end it didn’t take me anywhere new, but it was enjoyable enough.

nicholasrope 19th March 2022 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 668429)
Colt 38 Special Squad (1976)

An awesome poliziottesco movie. Massimo Dallamano's film is action all the way as a police captain whose wife has just been murdered by crime lord Ivan Rassimov sets up a secret squad of four rogue cops, each armed with an unlicensed .38 Colt Diamondback revolver and a fast motorbike.

With more than a few nods to Clint Eastwood's Magnum Force from three years previous this is fast paced, violent mayhem, replete with thunderous road chases and shoot outs a plenty.

Totally different to the other three films in the Years of Lead box set i've seen (Still got Highway Racer to go) as it's not as much of a social commentary and more a classic breathless action packed crime film with several brutal terrorist style bombings thrown in.

I really enjoyed this. Highly recommended.

Might have to pick this Box Set when it comes in a sale.

nicholasrope 19th March 2022 03:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The Batman

Robert Pattinson is The Batman in this version and he's up against Paul Dano's version of The Riddler. I didn't have the highest expectations for this one and I was pleasantly surprised by this one but at around 3 hours, it was too long.

Cube 2: Hypercube

So you have had a surprise cult hit and you do the inevitable Sequel but instead of doing the violent traps which were the highlights of the original, you instead introduce parallel realities and make things confusing.

I knew that there was a reason, I didn't like it originally.

Batman Forever

Val Kilmer is Batman and he's up against Harvey Two Face (Tommy Lee Jones) and The Riddler (Jim Carrey who in 1995 was really the only choice for the role) Chris O'Donnell is introduced as Robin. I really liked this, it had a corny script but it was fun and (Controversially I know) I prefer the not so serious Batman Films.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th March 2022 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Highway Racer (1977)

Maurizio Merli, minus tache and looking more like a cross between Will Ferrell and the newly botoxed Tim Allen in Christmas with the Kranks, plays a police driving ace with a reputation for risk taking - seriously you don't want to be his partner in this one - who goes undercover driving for mobster Il Nizzardo.

My final watch from the Years of Lead box set and possibly i unknowingly saved the best till last as i thought this was terrific. More a popcorn action fest than ever before, this has stunts and car chase sequences that are insane thanks to the brilliance of stunt driver Rémy Julienne, especially when two cars descend at speed Rome's famed Spanish Steps, flipping over half way and crashing down the rest of the steps. How they got away with that i'll never know. Outrageous and wonderfully thrilling as is the finale which was jaw dropping.

Anyone who wants to watch a real car chase film needs to see this, done for real no CGI of course. Makes The Fast and the Furious look like the cartoon it is.

The Years of Lead box set of Italian poliziottesco films is an outstanding release. All five films are excellent. Highly recommended.

Demoncrat 19th March 2022 04:56 PM

Retribution (1987, Guy Magar)

Always remembered the VHS sleeve. Never took it out though .... probably for the best as I think twould have been cut back in the day ahem.
A nebbish tries to take the easy way out but falls foul of .... hmmm, how to word this correctly without spoilers .... something :rolleyes::lol: and so finds himself on the rocky road to recovery, aided by a concerned medic and a genuine tart with a heart. An odd beast. Takes certain tropes and just runs with them. Some wild kills and an overarching "feel" of something not quite right pulled this one out of standard schlock fare imho. Plus Rand Peltzer turns up as a cop!

MrBarlow 19th March 2022 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 668455)
Retribution (1987, Guy Magar)

Always remembered the VHS sleeve. Never took it out though .... probably for the best as I think twould have been cut back in the day ahem.
A nebbish tries to take the easy way out but falls foul of .... hmmm, how to word this correctly without spoilers .... something :rolleyes::lol: and so finds himself on the rocky road to recovery, aided by a concerned medic and a genuine tart with a heart. An odd beast. Takes certain tropes and just runs with them. Some wild kills and an overarching "feel" of something not quite right pulled this one out of standard schlock fare imho. Plus Rand Peltzer turns up as a cop!

Has this had a U.K. Blu-ray release?

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th March 2022 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Copshop (2021)

Frank Grillo plays a con artist who gets himself arrested and thrown in a police cell to escape assassin Gerrard Butler who also gets himself locked up as a means of getting to Grillo, with only Alexis Louder's rookie cop between the two of them.

Despite being set in a swish modern American police station this is very much an old school thriller with nods to John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13. The three leads are all excellent as is Toby Huss as another hitman who enters the police station hellbent on killing pretty much everyone.

It has that pulpy, tense, violent seventies style that made it feel like a great follow on from Highway Racer, even the soundtrack was Lalo Schifrin styled in fact with the menu music and opening credits had you not been in the room you'd have presumed it was the poliziottesco that was still playing.

To sum up. Copshop is a fun and thoroughly entertaining throwback to seventies cop thrillers, loud, violent and bloody. Just the way i like 'em.

It made for a terrific double bill with Highway Racer.

Demoncrat 19th March 2022 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 668458)

I don't think so. It came from ... somewhere ... cough. ;):behindsofa:

Justin101 19th March 2022 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 668458)

I’m surprised it hasn’t, Vinegar Syndrome in the US I think. It was one I always saw in the video shop when I was younger, I’ll always remember that poster art.

MrBarlow 19th March 2022 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 668464)
I’m surprised it hasn’t, Vinegar Syndrome in the US I think. It was one I always saw in the video shop when I was younger, I’ll always remember that poster art.

The old VHS front cover.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th March 2022 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 668454)
The Years of Lead box set of Italian poliziottesco films is an outstanding release. All five films are excellent. Highly recommended.

Agreed. All the films are very good and I'm very glad I bought the box set.

I watched them all once over about a week and, because I don't think was paying complete attention to the TV for a couple, have left the box set out near my Blu-ray player to watch them again and write reviews similar to yours.

gag 19th March 2022 08:49 PM

Malignant,

Watched last night I enjoyed it, the police station scene was action-packed and entertaining, what I did find is imagine two people have been given the same project but they have to make it completely different but same concept, well I found IMO this was exactly that in a modern version of basket case with a twist.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th March 2022 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jungle Cruise (2021)

For the first hour i was really enjoying this what could be called a modern update of The African Queen. There was a certain chemistry between Dwayne Johnson's grizzled river boat captain, Emily Blunt's adventurer and Jack Whitehall's turn as her comedy brother, not to mention Johnson's pet CGI jaguar and the film was a lively, occasionally laugh out loud romp along the river.

However the second half got so bogged down in dead conquistadors, ancient trees, ridiculous plot points and OTT effects that it became really boring really quickly. It was as if the usually dependable director Jaume Collet-Serra and the writers decided that human drama and fun had to end in case the audience got attention deficit disorder so we'd better chuck as much CGI shit at the screen and turn it into a sub par Pirates of the Caribbean sequel.

Hopefully a one off miss fire from Collet-Serra.

Demoncrat 19th March 2022 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 668467)

Exactly. Recommended tbh.