Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th April 2022 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Beautiful Stranger (1954)

An excellent British crime drama set on the French Riviera which stars Ginger Rogers as an ex-actress living in luxury courtesy of Stanley Baker's wealthy businessman - a wealth built on crime. Enter a handsome French artist (Jacques Bergerac) and a seedy criminal (Herbert Lom) and the film goes off on a hugely fun twisty-turny journey of mistaken identities.

Classy and gripping, i couldn't have ever predicted how the film ends up from the first twenty minutes. All four leads are very watchable especially Herbert Lom in a shifty con role usually reserved for Peter Lorre whilst Rogers was perhaps too old for her role as a former show girl but still exuded sex appeal. The script was pacy and the French locations excellent, yeah, i was impressed by this.

Recommended.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th April 2022 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ghosts of Mars (2001)

John Carpenter's second riff on Rio Bravo following 1976's Assault on Precinct 13, but this time he takes the action to what is essentially a western ghost town on a Martian landscape populated by over enthusiastic Marilyn Manson fans.

The story is a well trodden affair in which the law (Natasha Henstridge, Pam Grier, Jason Statham) have to team up with bad old Ice Cube and his bunch of cons in a bid to survive the night.

I know this really isn't classic Carpenter but i really like Ghosts of Mars. It's a tight pacy affair with good dialogue and razor sharp action. It's also early in Statham's career and he's nowhere near top billing (Henstridge and Ice Cube are the leads). How times have changed.

Ghosts of Mars has been a film i've returned to a lot over the years so it was a no-brainer that i picked up the Indicator Blu-ray last year especially as the film looks and sounds better than ever.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th April 2022 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Island of the Fishmen (1979)

Reasonable adventure yarn which is a cross between The Creature from the Black Lagoon and The Island of Doctor Moreau with bits of War Gods of the Deep thrown in for good measure and all done in that wonky Italian style.

Starring Richard Johnson, Joseph Cotton and the lovely Barbara Bach, this is from the prolific Sergio Martino. Whilst the afore mentioned are all fine as the villains what the film lacks is a stand out hero because sadly Claudio Cassanelli is no Doug McClure as a shipwreck survivor who ends up on an uncharted island, home to Johnson's Edward Rackham (a descendant of Jack perhaps?) who appears to be using strange marine creatures to help him mine the sunken city of Atlantis of it's treasures. Yes, the plot is absurd in that mad way only Italians can manage and it's not as action packed as you might have hoped but because there's so much to cram in it's always watchable.

The films main disappointment are the fishmen themselves. They really look poor, The Sea Devils from Doctor Who eight years earlier looked far more convincing, and yet the fishmen come across as entertainingly bad. Witness the scene as one attempts to swim away following an attack. The poor actor just dives head first into a puddle and Martino quickly pans his camera away. I guess the money was all used up on three international stars, lovely locations and really impressive sets.

'Cheesy fun' is a phrase many films are labeled with and it certainly fits Island of the Fishmen.

Frankie Teardrop 13th April 2022 05:15 PM

BLOOD BEACH – ‘Blood Beach’ is an early eighties monster flick that hasn’t had much of a digital renaissance, although you’ll often hear fans going on about it. I can remember seeing it on ‘The Horror Channel’ years and years ago and thinking “that’s nice, it’s got John Saxon in it.” The Sax is pretty fab here actually, especially when he loses it in a municipal meeting about police dept funding. That’s quite funny. You would be right in questioning whether ‘Blood Beach’ scales any giddy heights (or plummets to any stomach turning depths for that matter), but its slightly TV-esque flatness is amiable enough, and is countered by a certain coolness of manner and a few deft one-liners. You could enjoy it on a double date as ‘Humanoids From The Deep’s’ better behaved cousin, maybe.

ROCKTOBER BLOOD – There are some truly mad heavy metal horror flicks out there; ‘Heavy Metal Massacre’, ‘Rock ‘n’ Roll Nightmare’ etc. Something about the fusion of these genres attracts brutally rubbish filmmaking that succeeds just by being so ‘off’. ‘Rocktober Blood’ seems to have that kind of reputation in some quarters, but I wasn’t convinced. I was mildly entertained; it’s basically a lame crapfest with a clunky supernatural slasher plotline (of course) that strings together a whole load of stiff acting and period cheese / ‘charm’ (if you’re the kind of eighties fan who dotes over people breaking out into aerobics mid-conversation you may be amused). But the main creepo, when he yowls that song… I’d sing it to you, but you can’t hear me.

RETURN OF THE FAMILY MAN – Thanx once again to Demoncrat, your review of a few months back alerted me to this one. ROTFM, a late-onset eighties slasher, is tongue-in-cheek at heart, though with the necessary grimness that the theme of family massacre ought to at least imply. Again though, this is offset by a crazed DIY approach to self-defence of the neo-survivalist Blue Peter school; the young guys and gals in the house where all the bad stuff goes down do their best to combat the menace of their mad foe by pulling together a load of stupidly contrived weapons made of domestic detritus, air tanks and bits of cameras. I quite liked that. It’s quite switched on as these flicks go, and pithily pitches its killer as a sort-of embodiment of neocon values, after all this talk of slashers manifesting some kind of primordial morality. Another one that seems inexplicably neglected; surely ripe for 4K-in-a-posh box rediscovery.

Demoncrat 13th April 2022 06:25 PM

Glad you approved FT!!

:hail::hail::hail::hail:

Fatal Instinct (1993, Carl Reiner)

Armand Assante and Sean Young head up this silly spoof of erotic thrillers. AA gives it his all, and SY smoulders with the best of 'em.
Cop slash lawyer Ned Ravine has his work cut out for him, what with trouble brewing at home and femme fatale client who won't take no for an answer.
The references are thick and fast, so no blinking!! :nod:

trebor8273 13th April 2022 07:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSlh4dcPSAo

A enjoyable Sherlock Holmes tale , with the great detective on the hunt for Jack the Ripper which could have connection too the highest powers in England. A great cast but Plummer just didn't feel like Holmes too me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--gdB-nnQkU

First time I've seen this , highly enjoyable tale of a new York Street gang The Warriors who are hunted by the other gangs off new York when it's believed they are responsible for the murderer of the leader of the most powerful gang who wanted to unite the gangs too take over new York. Will be one of many watches too come.

Now watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpZPPrnEd_k

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2022 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The House with Laughing Windows (1976)

Don't know about laughing?

It's so dull there were tears of boredom.

MrBarlow 14th April 2022 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Ghoul. 1933.

Egyptologist Henry Morlant who is slowly dying has a wish to be buried with a jewel and warns of dire consequences if his wish is unfulfilled. When a grave robber steals the jewel, Henry returns from the dead to seek revenge on those who desecrated his grave.

When Boris Karloff gives a wish then make sure it's carried out to the latter otherwise he will return and does so very deformed and a tad upset just a bit. This has a great dark atmosphere contributed with cinematography and light that creates a shadow over the main character in the background. The acting is decent and can appear to be more chit chatty but does help build up the suspense with a great background haunting score, thanks to Mr Demdike for this classic that's best watched in the dark.

Attachment 239735

trebor8273 14th April 2022 08:48 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpZPPrnEd_k

I really didn't think this would work but it has to be one of best animated batman films here we have Batman and the Turtles teaming up together too take on the combined forces of Ra's al Ghul and Shredder as well as other infamous villains including Joker.

Now watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2c9MsP3OVs

Followed by invitation to hell (1984)

MrBarlow 14th April 2022 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hands Of The Ripper. 1971.

Anna watches her father Jack The Ripper murder her mother, years later Anna goes into a trance state and begins to hear his voice encouraging her to kill while a doctor tries to treat her mental state.

This was a good Hammer Horror, it does have a slow pace but makes up with good acting and some good violent killings mixed in. Angharad Rees plays the grown up daughter of the killer and able to keep a blank stare when going into a trance. Eric Porter plays skeptical Dr. Porter who tries to use his own method of getting inside the head of Anna and uncover her past, there is a good small appearance from Lynda Baron who meets a grizzly end, one she doesn't see coming.

Attachment 239746

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2022 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 669455)

Anna watches her father Jack The Ripper murder her mother, years later Anna goes into a trance state and begins to hear his voice encouraging her to kill while a doctor tries to treat her mental state.

This was a good Hammer Horror, it does have a slow pace but makes up with good acting and some good violent killings mixed in. Angharad Rees plays the grown up daughter of the killer and able to keep a blank stare when going into a trance. Eric Porter plays skeptical Dr. Porter who tries to use his own method of getting inside the head of Anna and uncover her past, there is a good small appearance from Lynda Byron who meets a grizzly end, one she doesn't see coming.

Attachment 239746

The girl in the bath with the knife through her neck was one of the images in a Monster Mag i got my paws on instead of a comic when i was about six, thanks to a neighbour who took me to the park and for a comic to read - i chose Monster Mag and it bloody scarred me for life. Seriously gruesome images.

It was a colour close up of the make up effects from the image below in horribly gory fashion. Far sicker than the actual murder in the film itself.

MrBarlow 14th April 2022 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 669463)
The girl in the bath with the knife through her neck was one of the images in a Monster Mag i got my paws on instead of a comic when i was about six, thanks to a neighbour who took me to the park and for a comic to read - i chose Monster Mag and it bloody scarred me for life. Seriously gruesome images.

It was a colour close up of the make up effects from the image below in horribly gory fashion. Far sicker than the actual murder in the film itself.

How to scare yourself Sh!tless :pound:

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2022 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 669466)
How to scare yourself Sh!tless :pound:

Oh yes. There was also a large pic of Dennis Price from Twins of Evil with his neck slashed open. Seriously gory stuff barely glimpsed on screen.

Susan Foreman 15th April 2022 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 669455)

This was a good Hammer Horror, it does have a slow pace but makes up with good acting and some good violent killings mixed in. Angharad Rees plays the grown up daughter of the killer and able to keep a blank stare when going into a trance. Eric Porter plays skeptical Dr. Porter who tries to use his own method of getting inside the head of Anna and uncover her past, there is a good small appearance from Lynda Byron who meets a grizzly end, one she doesn't see coming.

Sorry, but do you mean Lynda Baron?

MrBarlow 15th April 2022 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 669472)
Sorry, but do you mean Lynda Baron?

Yeah her too :lol:

Dave Boy 15th April 2022 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 239757
THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD (1965)

Epic biblical movie that was a bit of a flop on it's release.
The money is there on the screen for sure. A huge amount of stars in this one, some only fleeting like Shelley Winters as a woman who is healed and John Wayne as a centurion at the crucifiction who's line "Surely this man is the Son Of Gaad" had audiences rolling in the aisles. It's a terrible moment.
Big in scope and trying to fit a lot in, the trial and crucifiction occur in the final fifteen minutes so to me are a bit rushed but overall a slow but great looking movie with a good music score.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2022 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cleopatra (1963)

At four hours and eleven minutes Cleopatra is the longest film i've ever sat through. This was the second time and first with the stunning looking Blu-ray.

It's one of those films that kind of defies reviewing. It looks f*cking sensational, the sets, the costumes, the extras involved, the sheer scale of it is simply mind boggling and it's also brilliantly performed by the superb Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton and Rex Harrison.

However it's also very much flawed. The first two hours prior to the intermission tend to drag a bit after a while as there's little in the way of action so to speak and very lengthy scenes of dialogue. It's made up for by the second half which ups the ante and scale even more with the introduction of a brilliantly staged sea battle (With real ships made for the film) and lots of deception and intrigue story wise thrown in as the Roman senate alienate Marc Anthony for becoming Cleopatra's lover and Egypt having too much influence in Rome's affairs.

If you get the chance to see this on Blu-ray or 4K you should because despite it being a lumbering beast at times it's spectacle is to be admired and remains one of the great cinematic achievements of all time.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th April 2022 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 669484)
Cleopatra (1963)

If you get the chance to see this on Blu-ray or 4K you should because despite it being a lumbering beast at times it's spectacle is to be admired and remains one of the great cinematic achievements of all time.

I've seen Cleopatra once, quite a few years ago, and can understand both why initially bombed and why it is regarded by some as an incredible cinematic achievement.

Like you say, it's a film to be watched in the best format possible and I would like to own and watch it in 4K with full HDR and Dolby Vision treatment.

MrBarlow 15th April 2022 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Devils. 1971.

Father Urbain Grandier seeks to protect the town of Loudun from corrupt Cardinal Richelieu while the sexually repressed nun of sisters of Saint Ursula convent accuse Grandier of Witchcraft.

Thought I would check out Shudder and what should be the first thing that pops up, this little classic, I will admit defeat that this is only version we will see of this Ken Russell film. Ollie Reed seems to have his way with woman, god knows how he manages it and upset a few town folk as well as John Woodvine who's daughter is pregnant by the man of the cloth.

Vanessa Redgrave plays the Mother Superior of Saint Ursula Sister Jeanne who seems to have certain thoughts of Grandier and confesses to Father Mignon who deems her to be possessed by devils. Michael Gothard plays the exorcist/witch-finder Father Barre who is able to convince everyone that the devil is at work.

For it's time of release this was controversial with one or two scenes that have been removed and lost yet Mark Kermode managed to find them, is it still controversial today...who knows, I'm sure there is one or two people still find it a insult or offensive, yet from start to finish it has great acting, direction and cinematography.

Attachment 239769

Rob4 15th April 2022 10:57 PM

The Northman

Robert Eggers' Viking folklore vengeance tale is definitely worth a visit. It feels clichéd at first with some very obvious Conan steals (homage?) but it just keeps getting better and better as it goes along. A mixture of testosterone fueled action and folk horror mysticism with some very good performances from an eclectic cast thrown in.... oh, and Anja Taylor-Joy's bare bum...

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2022 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 669500)
The Northman

Robert Eggers' Viking folklore vengeance tale is definitely worth a visit. It feels clichéd at first with some very obvious Conan steals (homage?) but it just keeps getting better and better as it goes along. A mixture of testosterone fueled action and folk horror mysticism with some very good performances from an eclectic cast thrown in.... oh, and Anja Taylor-Joy's bare bum...

Did you see it at the cinema?

Rob4 15th April 2022 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 669501)
Did you see it at the cinema?

Yes, at the local

Justin101 16th April 2022 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 669500)
The Northman

I had the opposite reaction myself I was hyped at the start but got more and more disappointed as it went on. However, the final fight was pure spectacle and it was awesome.

On the plus side the score and the sound design are both amazing. The landscape shots were beautiful. Björk was totally believable as a Seer and finally the Valkyrie riding into Valhalla was a sight to behold.

Dave Boy 16th April 2022 08:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 239772
THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST (2004)

Mel Gibson's movie following events from the betrayal of Jesus to the crucifiction.
Excessive violence, some scenes completely over the top make this a grueling watch, but the movie remains a powerful experience.

MrBarlow 16th April 2022 05:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Train To Busan. 2016.

Train going from Seoul to Busan has a passenger on board infected with a unknown virus that turns her into a zombie while mass hysteria is reported on the news. The passengers fight to stay alive and find safety.

After hearing mixed reveiws about this film, I decided to watch it, there are characters you like and hate and there is always one person you love to see a bit of karma coming for them. One character who seems a bit whimpish manages to find a set of balls and take fight.

There isn't much of a back story to the virus except a leak from a Bio-Tech research facility and seems to borrow some bits from 28 days Later, people turning into Zombies quick and can only see in the light where as in 28 Days Later they only see in the dark. There is a good amount of blood splatter and a couple of tense moments, don't know if i'd be in a hurry to watch this again.

Attachment 239779

MrBarlow 16th April 2022 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum. 2018.

Internet blogger hires a team of one celebrity and few unknown people for a live broadcast of Horror Time web show to investigate a abandoned asylum, what starts off as a joke becomes a frightening night for everyone.

A Japanese version of Grave Encounters that solely relies on Go-Pro POV cameras, another found footage that has a slow start but half way through the supernatural begins to start. This had something that was inspired by The Blair Witch Project, people going round in circles in a small forest. The acting isn't too bad and some of the jump scares are a bit predictable. Entertaining to watch in the dark.

Attachment 239780

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th April 2022 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Haunting of Pendle Hill (2022)

Slow burn yarn about a daughter searching for her father who mysteriously went missing in the forests (?) around Pendle Hill. Forests supposedly haunted by the old witch Demdike and her granddaughter Jennet.

Nicely atmospheric, especially for a low budget production, with mostly decent acting and in flashbacks good use of olde-world English ala Robert Eggers The Witch. The film sort of tells a jumbled story of the peddler John Law who was cursed by Alizon Device and subsequently died. The death was followed up by local Justice of the Peace, Roger Nowell.

So basically the film tells two stories. One set in 1612 and one in the modern day that cleverly interweave at the finale. The ghostly Demdike is in a way reminiscent of Black Phillip in the aforementioned The Witch in that she utters creepy sentences to those around trying to lure them to their deaths, whilst Alizon is seen several times in the woods wearing a weird cat mask.

Most disappointing was the fact that the film makers never set foot in Lancashire to film this thing. It looks more like somewhere in Ireland, certainly never seen Pendle. Stock footage of mountains and huge forests don't help matters either. In fact there's not one single shot of the real Pendle Hill.

Even though i got something out of this - a local historical thing- i'm not sure i'd recommend it. The pace really is snail like and for those without an interest in the subject there's nothing here that hasn't been in better films.

MrBarlow 16th April 2022 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Darling. 2015.

A young girl is hired to look after a house and begins to question her sanity.

If anything, Stephen King taught us never take a job as a caretaker in a empty building, this has all been done before a mix of repulsion and The Shining, filmed in Black and White this had potential to be something new but instead this went on a slippery slope downwards. Even though Sean Young is in this she has a small screen appearance and voice calls but that is about it. Very dull for me to enjoy.

Attachment 239782

MrBarlow 16th April 2022 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Bunker Game. 2022.

A Live Action Role Playing Game in a German Bunker is interrupted by power failure and some leave, those stay behind look for another person who has disappeared.

Why would anyone want to be a member of the Third Reich in any game is beyond me and why play it in a bunker that was used in the story line at the start of the film?? The acting was decent as everyone seems to get into their character, suppose this does show what isolation and claustrophobia does to people and have a ghost. at 95 minutes this felt it was longer and going in a different direction that was intended.

Attachment 239784

(The poster may be in German but the actors are English)

trebor8273 16th April 2022 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Invitation to hell (1984)

Out the same year that Craven made nightmare on elm Street , while this TV movie is not a patch on it there is still some fun too be had with this bonkers story of a family that move into a new neighborhood and everyone wants them too join the country club , soon the father notices changes in his family , what strange going one are happening at the club, it's up to Robert Urich and his cut price iron man suit too save the day.

A blizzare mixture of hallmark, horror ,sci-fi and stepford wife's.

Now watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eZgEKjYJqA

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th April 2022 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Guns of Navarone (1961)

An excellent boys own war time adventure from author Alistair MaClean starring Gregory Peck, David Niven, Anthony Quayle, Irene Papas, Stanley Baker and Anthony Quinn, about a daring commando mission to blow up a pair of huge new German guns on the Greek island of Navarone which prevent Allied ships crossing the Aegean Sea.

Good characterization and some gripping scenes exploring the dynamic of the group help make this a lot of fun even if it's not quite as action packed as that other MaClean based war classic Where Eagles Dare.

However when the commando's bombs destroy the guns shit certainly blows up.

Demoncrat 16th April 2022 11:18 PM

During my Maclean binge, I was surprised how much I had retained from memory D. :nod:

Residue (2017, Rusty Nixon)

Where to start here .... I'll get to back to you soon though .... I watched this and was reminded of the time I saw The Infinte Man (2014) (recommend cough)
Not that that is any comparison.
Half the best screen version of Burroughs' work in intent and half ... that will have to wait for the rewatch.
A private eye takes on the case of his life. Max Headroom pops up. I need some respite so I'm off to watch The Sadness finally

Overview tomorrow ahem ....

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th April 2022 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)

I never used to appreciate Robert Fuest's Dr. Phibes films thinking they come off like a poor mans Theatre of Blood (1973). It doesn't help that Vincent Price is both expressionless and often silent throughout, although i must mention the skeletal Phibes at the climax as the films highpoint. However this time around i got a lot more out of it especially the camp streak of sadism running through as Phibes murders those he blames for the death of his wife with the supposed ten curses of the Pharoah.

I always find the death of Terry Thomas particularly unpleasant viewing as Phibes drains him of blood pint by pint in a ghastly medical procedure. This is one of my genuine fears, like some people are scared of drowning or being buried alive, seeing my life blood drained away pint by pint in this manner does my head in, it really does. Vampires really aren't the same thing though. I have no problem with them.

The Blu-ray looks really good, especially the outdoor sequences. Well worth picking up whilst it's in the current Arrow sale, i'd say. A big thanks to Mr.Barlow again for sending me his copy of this film.

trebor8273 17th April 2022 06:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eZgEKjYJqA

While it's not even close to being as violent and depraved and unsettling as Hoopers masterpiece . It's still a enjoyable and creepy in places , with Spielberg being involved his influence is unmissable with the typical Spielberg suburban family and setting. Always remember the gory face pulling .

Now watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv276Wg3e7I

nicholasrope 17th April 2022 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 669512)
Train To Busan. 2016.

Train going from Seoul to Busan has a passenger on board infected with a unknown virus that turns her into a zombie while mass hysteria is reported on the news. The passengers fight to stay alive and find safety.

After hearing mixed reveiws about this film, I decided to watch it, there are characters you like and hate and there is always one person you love to see a bit of karma coming for them. One character who seems a bit whimpish manages to find a set of balls and take fight.

There isn't much of a back story to the virus except a leak from a Bio-Tech research facility and seems to borrow some bits from 28 days Later, people turning into Zombies quick and can only see in the light where as in 28 Days Later they only see in the dark. There is a good amount of blood splatter and a couple of tense moments, don't know if i'd be in a hurry to watch this again.

Attachment 239779

Wasn't it explained in Seoul Station?

MrBarlow 17th April 2022 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 669534)
Wasn't it explained in Seoul Station?

It's more like a leak and the main character with his daughter and his assistant talk about the shares and funding for the company dropping. Unless I missed something

nicholasrope 17th April 2022 10:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Matewan

Based on true events and set in the 1920's, sees Chris Cooper try to organize the exploited Coal Miners into a Union and falls foul of the powerful Coal Company who insists on employees spending their wages in shops that are owned by the company. The 2 company representatives are vile as they are able to intimidate the locals. James Earl Jones and Bob Gunton co-star in a Film which has it's slow moments but it's decent not rubbish, however it's not a Film which I'll probably not watch in a very long time.

Critical Condition

Richard Pryor fakes being crazy in order to avoid Prison however he ends up pretending to be a Doctor after a Storm and mistaken identity. Released in 1986, this easily could have been one of those of it's time Films but it isn't and is pretty funny. Wesley Snipes as a cameo.

nicholasrope 17th April 2022 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 669535)
It's more like a leak and the main character with his daughter and his assistant talk about the shares and funding for the company dropping. Unless I missed something

Can't remember however I thought it could have been covered as it's the 1st part of the trilogy.

trebor8273 17th April 2022 10:11 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv276Wg3e7I

For me De Palma best , expertly directed with great performance all round , a great 80s soundtrack and it's not hard too see how this heavily influenced GTA vice city. The film shows just what a great actor Pacino is , with Tony and Michael Corleone both being gangster types but they couldn't be any different , Michael is calm and collective while Tony is brutal and savage and a little deranged.

Now watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC3-fCLcYdo

MrBarlow 17th April 2022 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 669537)
Can't remember however I thought it could have been covered as it's the 1st part of the trilogy.

Just away to watch Train To Busan: Peninsula. Got some high hopes for this one