Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd June 2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 252691)
Village is MILES better imo :nod: . . .

I do prefer Village, but Children is a great sequel. It's a lot darker than the original too in many ways, what with the
SPOILER:
mention of the children being our evolutionary betters, and the various world leaders panicking that their countries secrets could be psychically shared and eventually ordering the children's termination, leading to the tense showdown and mass slaughter at the church gates at the end.

I like how it's a nice reminder that we as a species are scared of beings more intelligent than our selves and react with panic and violence (flashes of The Day the Earth Stood Still in some respects), which shows how really weak and primitive we still are.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd June 2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 252692)
Rita Hayworth sizzles in Lady From Shanghai.

Have you seen it before B_e?

Hope you liked it.

Nope; this one was a first time viewing.

I did like this one a lot. The showdown at the end in the hall of mirrors was fantastic, which in turn leads to such a powerful and blunt finale. Great stuff.

Oh, and Rita does indeed sizzle. ;)

Slippery Jack 23rd June 2012 10:09 PM

Everett Sloane is a hoot in that film :lol: and Welles' Oirish accent is priceless . . .

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd June 2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 252711)
Everett Sloane is a hoot in that film :lol: and Welles' Oirish accent is priceless . . .

Welles' accent was quite amusing at times. Still, a lot better than DiCaprio's in Gang's of New York. :D

bdc 23rd June 2012 10:26 PM

Did you enjoy Drakula Istanbul'da BE?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd June 2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 252716)
Did you enjoy Drakula Istanbul'da BE?

I did, thanks for the recommendation mate. :)

I liked the fact that it was very similar to Stoker's original story, and whilst it did put an interesting cultural spin on the material, did not sway too much from the classic Dracula tale.

The main things that spoiled it were the poor quality presentation and more notably the audio, which often muted, popped, and crackled. Obviously, these things couldn't be helped, but it did detract from the experience and therefore my enjoyment of the film somewhat...

...AND... there were 3 musical numbers, so I was cursing your name as each additional performance started, b. ;)

sawyer6 23rd June 2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 252717)
I did, thanks for the recommendation mate. :)

I liked the fact that it was very similar to Stoker's original story, and whilst it did put an interesting cultural spin on the material, did not sway too much from the classic Dracula tale.

The main things that spoiled it were the poor quality presentation and more notably the audio, which often muted, popped, and crackled. Obviously, these things couldn't be helped, but it did detract from the experience and therefore my enjoyment of the film somewhat...

...AND... there were 3 musical numbers, so I was cursing your name as each additional performance started, b. ;)

I should check that too :)

bdc 23rd June 2012 10:42 PM

:lol:

I personally really liked the graveyard sequences with Sadan,I always thought it was strange they were missing from Dracula (1931).

SharonLynette 23rd June 2012 10:43 PM

Feeling a bit sleepy this weekend. Only managed to watch "Dial M for Murder" and that's a film I've seen several times. I just love Ray Milland.

Just started to watch "How to Make a Monster" but I think I need an early night.

bdc 23rd June 2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 252718)
I should check that too :)

Here's the link... :)

Drakula Istanbul'da Youtube

Don't forget to click the cc button for the subs. ;)