Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

sawyer6 23rd June 2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 252722)
Here's the link... :)

Drakula Istanbul'da Youtube

Don't forget to click the cc button for the subs. ;)

keirarts 24th June 2012 07:03 AM

Wanderlust. Middle of the road comedy with Jennifer Aniston and Paul rudd as a suburban couple hit by the recession and end up living on a commune. Not terrible and certainly Aniston's best role in years, its not a comedy classic either. For the most part it sticks very much to the template of a lot of american comedy's to the extent I could call the plot twists fairly easily. Probably worth seeing though, if only for Alan Alda.

J. Edagar. A clint eastwood directed biopic about J edgar hoover, the film suffers from a poorly structured screenplay, at first we think its him dictating his autobiography, but then in the middle of the film it switches to flashbacks unrelated to the established structure and ends up being a little confusing. Shame because the film is otherwise great with an excellent central performance from leonardo dicaprio.

Ghost rider Spirit of vengence. I'm becoming convinced that nic cage's acting method consists of a sleazy reptillian drug dealer stood off-screen with a large bag of cocain and plenty of ketamine in order to try and balance out his performance. As expected ghost rider is a big sloppy turd of a movie with a rotten screenplay and dreadful acting. The FX actually look ok though and it certainly appears to have been made for 3D. If your drunk and looking for something truley rotten to watch it might be worth a look.

A Dangerous method. Beautifully shot, excellent acting, well paced. A genuinelly classy film about Freud, jung and the woman who came between them. Definately worth the accclaim it recieved, I did however spend a large portion of the film hoping one of the characters would turn into an insect, or perhaps viggo mortensen's beard would turn into a video casette and program Fassbenders willy to become a shotgun... I really do miss the old bodyhorror pics!

Slippery Jack 24th June 2012 09:19 AM

Frankenhooker

Annoyed it took me this long to revisit Henenlotter - I saw Bad Biology a few years back, hated it, and that put me off checking out his older stuff. I loved this! Think maybe I was expecting a nudge-wink knowingly so-bad-it's-good kind of vibe (which I hate), but no, it was just good! I laughed throughout (with it not at it), and found the inventive practical effects great fun. Sure, James Lorinz isn't the greatest actor, but he has a natural likability - kind of like a young Steve Buscemi. The Frankenhooker reveal didn't disappoint, Patty Mullen totally sold the effect - how did she do that thing with her mouth!? Really good :clap: . . .

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th June 2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 252712)
Welles' accent was quite amusing at times. Still, a lot better than DiCaprio's in Gang's of New York. :D

I've never understood why DiCaprio's accent in The Gangs of New York has been maligned and ridiculed. The character is an immigrant who spent his formative years mixing with other immigrants from various parts of Europe, hence his speech having 'no fixed abode'.

If you want to talk about bad accents, look no further than Sean Connery's Irish cop in The Untouchables!

Hawkmonger 24th June 2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 252753)
Frankenhooker

Annoyed it took me this long to revisit Henenlotter - I saw Bad Biology a few years back, hated it, and that put me off checking out his older stuff. I loved this! Think maybe I was expecting a nudge-wink knowingly so-bad-it's-good kind of vibe (which I hate), but no, it was just good! I laughed throughout (with it not at it), and found the inventive practical effects great fun. Sure, James Lorinz isn't the greatest actor, but he has a natural likability - kind of like a young Steve Buscemi. The Frankenhooker reveal didn't disappoint, Patty Mullen totally sold the effect - how did she do that thing with her mouth!? Really good :clap: . . .

Years of practice and cocain addiction (followed swiftly by cold turkey).:loco:

Gojirosan 24th June 2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 252768)
If you want to talk about bad accents, look no further than Sean Connery's Irish cop in The Untouchables!

And not forgetting his Iberian nobleman in the "classic" Highlander...

:rolleyes:

Slippery Jack 24th June 2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 252768)

What, you mean he wasn't really Irish!?! He had me convinced :loco:

He pullsh a knife, you pull a gun. He shends one of yoursh to the hoshpital, you shend one of hish to the morgue!

Gojirosan 24th June 2012 11:25 AM

This annoys people, but I really believe that anything good that Connery has been in since the early 70s (such as The Untouchables) has been despite his presence.

He's an arrogant, selfish actor who just doesn't make an effort. Watching the likes of Marnie, The Offence or The Hill makes me sad as he certainly had at least the beginnings of something. But the more money he made, the less he bothered.

Being Bond destroyed his will to act.

Paul@TheOverlook 24th June 2012 11:35 AM

But he made great films (some you mention) during and after his tenure as James Bond.

I do agree that most of his choices were clearly money motivated but the same could also be said about other actors, especially pre-millennium Michael Caine ;)

Gojirosan 24th June 2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 252795)
But he made great films (some you mention) during and after his tenure as James Bond.

I do agree that most of his choices were clearly money motivated but the same could also be said about other actors, especially pre-millennium Michael Caine ;)

Other actors aren't innocent :lol:

I think Connery is the poster boy for me though. His presence would put me off seeing a film.

I can't think of many great films he did after Bond...there's The Untouchables, Time Bandits, The Man Who Would Be King...er...Outland is OK...The Wind And The Lion (?, never seen it) that's about it isn't it?