Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th May 2022 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 670270)
I’m glad you enjoyed it, I really quite liked it as well when I watched it and I’m looking forward to a rewatch.

Having watched all 5 in succession, is the 3rd instalment still the low point? I watched the original 3 late last year on iTunes and because I couldn’t be bothered to look for Scream 4 in my boxes I skipped it and went straight to 5 lol… it’s been years since I watched that one.

It's difficult to rank them i think.

I did until yesterday think Scream the original was comfortably the best, although that could be because i saw it at the cinema and that opening ten minutes was like nothing i'd ever seen before. It does tend to go downhill a bit after that.

I used to think the second film was the low point but really enjoyed that on Tuesday. Courtney with her red streaks Mmmm! The third film i've always enjoyed but i didn't think that stood up as well when you watch them consecutively.

Scream 4 was largely very good too, however i think this new one as a whole film with the storyline, superior acting and genuinely at times touching script made me think it was probably the best.

Really i guess only time will tell. That first film is 25 years old and still incredibly entertaining, will Scream (2022) have that longevity? Who knows?

None of them are awful by any means.

Justin101 7th May 2022 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 670273)

I did until yesterday think Scream the original was comfortably the best, although that could be because i saw it at the cinema and that opening ten minutes was like nothing i'd ever seen before. It does tend to go downhill a bit after that.

I used to think the second film was the low point but really enjoyed that on Tuesday. Courtney with her red streaks Mmmm! The third film i've always enjoyed but i didn't think that stood up as well when you watch them consecutively.

Scream 4 was largely very good too, however i think this new one as a whole film with the storyline, superior acting and genuinely at times touching script made me think it was probably the best.

Really i guess only time will tell. That first film is 25 years old and still incredibly entertaining, will Scream (2022) have that longevity? Who knows?

I mean the 3rd has Parker Posey so that’s a plus point! I think it’s the ‘reveal’ that lets it down, it’s more convoluted than a late period giallo haha.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th May 2022 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 670275)
I mean the 3rd has Parker Posey so that’s a plus point! I think it’s the ‘reveal’ that lets it down, it’s more convoluted than a late period giallo haha.

I look forward to Scream 6 next year.

Gotta' admit i didn't think the latest would really stand up with a new directorial team but it really does.

The 'drinks for Wes' was quite a nice touch during the film.

trebor8273 7th May 2022 07:31 PM

Friday the 13th the final chapter.

I used to think this was the better of the movies before Jason turned zombie , but this time just found it a little dull with some boring kills but it is worth watching just for this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocgj9tewHso

Insidious

After a family's young son falls into coma strange things beging too happen , it soon becomes apparent that some supernatural and evil is responsible, better than I remember with some good acting and scares even if in relies to much on loud noises and jump scares.

Insidious part 2.

Taking place straight after the first , the family's problem have not gone away with the wife believing that her husband is now possessed by the evil spirit with the old lady dead who can help them . Enjoyable and a little darker in tone .

Tried watching Robert (the doll) but had too switch off after ten minutes , some of the worst acting and direction I've seen.

So watching insidious part 3.

Followed by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDoRcg42lQI

MrBarlow 7th May 2022 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 670278)
Tried watching Robert (the doll) but had too switch off after ten minutes , some of the worst acting and direction I've seen.

Not a film you would recommend then :lol: i did contemplate on watching it until I saw who the director was and remembered he directed The Haunting At The Rectory and The Amityville Asylum and even they were enough for me, noticed the director is planning a Horror Express remake :scared:

trebor8273 7th May 2022 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 670281)
Not a film you would recommend then :lol: i did contemplate on watching it until I saw who the director was and remembered he directed The Haunting At The Rectory and The Amityville Asylum and even they were enough for me, noticed the director is planning a Horror Express remake :scared:

No need too remake horror express especially by some one who appears to have zero talent how the hell he got the money to make another four!

Did he just walk around the streets picking people at random do work in the film.

MrBarlow 7th May 2022 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 670282)
No need too remake horror express especially by some one who appears to have zero talent how the hell he got the money to make another four!

It's a true classic movie that still entertains.

We got Paranormal Activity, Asylum gave us Paranormal Entity and then we got this from the director.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVS7Ag6zfRo

MrBarlow 8th May 2022 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Black Sunday. 1960.

A vengeful witch and her lover return from the grave and seeks revenge on the descendants who killed them.

Although Mario Bava had co-directed a lot and was initially uncredited this was his first main feature film and what a great start to career in giving us classic memorable films. Barbara Steele plays the witch who's grave is disturbed along with her servant Arturo Dominici who want revenge and to possess the bodies of the descendants.

Right from the start to finish this has a dark Gothic atmosphere, great cinematography, and great set designs you wouldn't expect nothing else from a Bava movie, Steele and Bava never had a great time making this film yet she is able to pull it off with her great acting skills. This was a film I never appreciated but over time and more watches it is a firm favourite.

Attachment 240114

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th May 2022 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Season of the Witch (1973)

I've really grown to love Season of the Witch and class it higher among Romero's output than most would.

For all it's witches in modern suburbia aspect it's as much a psychological study into sexually frustrated, alcoholic housewives as it is horror. In fact probably more so.

Seeing it on Arrow's Blu-ray for the first time last night was a beautiful experience. I didn't think it would look this good.

iank 8th May 2022 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 670273)

You have got to be joking. Scream 2022 was absolute gobshite.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th May 2022 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 670240)
Thought i might watch the theatrical cut on Sunday evening.

Just finished the theatrical cut of Waterworld. Still really good but the Ulysses cut at three hours certainly adds more character development and does make it a superior film in my opinion.

SymbioticFunction 8th May 2022 10:03 PM

Saw Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness.

It's not as good as the first film but it's still enjoyable enough entertainment. Perhaps I'm being unfair but it kinda seems more like a Disney Marvel Studios product than a true Sam Raimi film.

Having said that, there are certainly Raimi moments in it such as the way a tenticled monster is despatched, the Bruce Campbell cameo and the deadite look of the undead Dr Strange.

I'd probably award a 7/10 film score and whilst I really did want a 4K UHD of the first movie, this time I'll be more than content with a regular 1080p blu-ray.

btw Maybe a disc featurette will demonstrate that Raimi had much more input than it's currently seeming. I just sometimes wonder if quite often Marvel Studios films are already fully planned out even before the director is hired.

nicholasrope 8th May 2022 10:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Iron Eagle

1986 Film which sees a Teenager's Father get captured by a Foreign Nation and put on a Sham Trial. Said Teen after finding out that the U.S. Air Force won't launch a rescue mission, takes it upon himself to rescue him himself. He is assisted by Lou Gossett JR.

Released before The Rescue, if you are able to get passed the ludicrous scenario that Teenagers have free reign at a Airbase and are able to get on Planes, steal documents (Even in the 80's) then it's not a bad little pass the time on Movie. Pretty decent Soundtrack as well.

Firestarter

David Keith's Daughter (Drew Barrymore) has the power to start fires using telekinesis and is on the run from a shadowary organization. I remember seeing this decades ago and didn't remember much of it. I found it to be good when there's action but there's a lot of the Film where it's just talk and lulls.

I am interested in the Blumhouse remake as I believe they will make the necessary adjustments to make it more action packed.

New Year's Eve

Sort of Sequel to Valentine's Day which sees more multiple connecting storylines associated with New Year's Eve. Definitely not as good as Valentine's Day but the Seth Meyers/Jessica Biel storyline where they are battling another couple to win the first baby born in the New Year is funny.

trebor8273 8th May 2022 10:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PbCaKBgsZ0

Have too say I really enjoyed this and of the last few marvel film's released its been my favourite , here Strange has too protect a young girl whom can travel across the multiverse from a familiar and extremely deadly and powerful foe.

It's quite gory in places with exploding people and heads and beheadings amongst other gruesome ends, but it makes you think just how violent and gory it could of been if a film higher than a 12a could be made and Raimi was giving full control .

We have a Bruce Campbell cameo that usual for Raimi, lots of nods and Easter eggs for comic book fans , we even have a deadite Doctor Strange ! Some quite impressive effect scenes and thought the music magic battle was quite cool.

One I definitely will be picking up when it's out too buy. It seems not matter what reality Captain Marvel is always arrogant and annoying!

Now watching .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l9zV-t8U9o

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th May 2022 10:51 PM

Is that Professor X in the image in the DR Strange trailer or just Patrick Stewart playing a different character?

trebor8273 8th May 2022 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 670319)
Is that Professor X in the image in the DR Strange trailer or just Patrick Stewart playing a different character?

Yes he's playing professor X. Even has his iconic yellow wheelchair in this.

SymbioticFunction 8th May 2022 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 670319)

It's Professor X. I was reluctant to say he was in it as I thought it'd be a spoiler (didn't realise he'd appeared in YouTube promo vids).

trebor8273 8th May 2022 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 670321)
It's Professor X. I was reluctant to say he was in it as I thought it'd be a spoiler (didn't realise he'd appeared in YouTube promo vids).

Kind of spoiled it showing him and others in the final trailer .

Be interesting too see how the X-Men and fantastic four are going to brought in.

SymbioticFunction 8th May 2022 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 670318)
Some quite impressive effect scenes and thought the music magic battle was quite cool.

That music note battle was very cool. :)

Justin101 9th May 2022 06:41 AM

You two must have seen a different version of Doctor Strange to the DREADFUL one I saw yesterday haha. I hated it, and especially the musical notes ‘fight’ I’ve never fidgeted in my seat as much as I did then. Deadite Strange was a good idea and Bruce Campbell doing his slapstick was fun but not enough for me not to rate the film a big NO out of 10 lol…

trebor8273 9th May 2022 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 670332)
You two must have seen a different version of Doctor Strange to the DREADFUL one I saw yesterday haha. I hated it, and especially the musical notes ‘fight’ I’ve never fidgeted in my seat as much as I did then. Deadite Strange was a good idea and Bruce Campbell doing his slapstick was fun but not enough for me not to rate the film a big NO out of 10 lol…

It's been quite diverse in it's reviews , so would say it's a very Marmite experience.

MrBarlow 9th May 2022 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Slumber Party Massacre II. 1987.

Courtney the younger sister of Valerie, joins her friends at a condo for the weekend but has re-occurring dreams that the killer is coming back.

It is true what people say, girls who have sleep over do have almost naked pillow fights, but these girls look like they are in their mid 20s so we are safe enough to ogle over. The killer has been resurrected as a Ritchie Valens look a like with a guitar that has a drill on it and isn't afraid to use it in the last 20 minutes or so of the movie when it gets bloody. The acting isn't great at all and some of the visual effects look cheap but this film kept me entertained for the 75 minutes running time.

Attachment 240121

SymbioticFunction 10th May 2022 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 670332)

I really liked the magic animated notes fight. Reminded me of Hero, Kung Fu Hustle and the Disney Fantasia films. And I like being reminded of those movies. :)

Demoncrat 10th May 2022 08:33 AM

Bloody Muscle Body Builder In Hell (1995, Shinichi Fukazawa)

Yes, they were still knocking off The Evil Dead this late it seems :nod::lol::pop2:
A vengeful ghost plays fast and loose with a trio of friends when they try and move into her domicile. Grotty and silly in execution, they even says the G word at the appropriate time :lol:
Recommended. :behindsofa:

Dave Boy 10th May 2022 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 240134
DR STRANGE AND THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS

Add me to the list of those that liked this movie. Yeah, really enjoyed that.
I went in with no spoilers apart from seeing the trailers.
Going in like that, it was a head spin to find out who the villan of the movie was.

trebor8273 10th May 2022 09:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDoRcg42lQI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1oy_TQ9tyE

Well we all know the story of the first film but I had never seen the second till know from reviews I was expecting it to be truly awful but enjoyed it maybe or maybe not as good as the first but it's a daft bit of fun, here William Ragsdale of fright night fame plays a young man who gets a job at the same department store in the first one when a dummy comes alive for a promotion he appears he is the recantation of Prince and she is his true love who was cursed a 1000 years ago by a evil sorcerer who just happens to be alive. Hollywood returns in this as well as the actor whom played the janitor in the first who is now a security guard it's unclear if he's the same person.

Now watching some mutant killer baby's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pW99eaMons

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th May 2022 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Underworld: Evolution (2006)

Picking up straight from where Underworld (2003) ended, although Scott Speedman has gained a new hairstyle somehow, Underworld: Evolution is a brilliant example of how to make an action horror film empty, lifeless and remarkably boring.

MrBarlow 11th May 2022 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Last Matinee. 2020.

On a rainy night, small group of patrons take shelter in a cinema, unbeknown to them they are joined by a serial killer.

A entry into the slasher genre from Uruguay, this is like a homage to the 80s, even though the film is set 1993, and the film playing in the background looks very much like a 80s film. The serial killer looks like "The Fisherman" from I Know What You Did Last Summer. and carrying a jar of pickled eyes. The killings are done decently with good effects and Cinematography, there isn't really much of a explanation as to the killer is or why he is killing or maybe I missed something.

Attachment 240152

Demoncrat 11th May 2022 05:11 PM

Fresh (2022, Mimi Cave)

I watched this then. Can't say too much but it starts slow then picks up somewhat. Best to go in blind here imho. Helpful demon! :lol::rolleyes:

Dangerous Men (2005, John S. Rad)

This was worth the wait then. Another Iranian ex pat director making his mark in the action scene :pound:
The plot is .... rather circuitous I felt. Many things happen. :nod:
Up there with Samurai Cop/ Miami Connection etc. Recommended!! (Decent print on YT ahem).

MrBarlow 11th May 2022 07:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Insidious: The Last Key. 2018.

Elise, Specs and Tucker travel to New Mexico to help a man who's house is haunted, only problem for Elise it's her old childhood home where her problems began.

This instalment I really never took to when I first watched it, It just seemed to lack the tension that the previous films had but over time it has grown on me as the Mrs has watched it more than me. Lin Shaye, Leigh Whannell and Angus Simpson return with some what a bit more humour but not overly done, The tone is a lot more darker and best watched in the dark so you ain't straining your eyes. Spanish Actor Javier Botet plays the ghost in this Keyface and doesn't seem to have much screen time but give credit to the make-up department though for making him look scary enough.

Attachment 240155

Demoncrat 12th May 2022 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Kill Or Be Killed (1976, Ivan Hall)

Yes, apparently that Kill And Kill Again was a sequel! So we get this instead.
A chap who bears a grudge certainly asks our well spoken arse kicker to join his gang as he is recreating an old challenge with hopes of salvaging his dignity this time. Towards this we get a load of occidentals looking like corn beef getting their comeuppance daily (training montage), some romance (the only woman in the area easily falls for our chap natch ...) and a dwarf manservant!! A Sud Afrikan one at that :lol:
Ahem.

Dave Boy 12th May 2022 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 240166
THE MASK OF FU MANCHU (1932)

Karloff is superb as Dr Fu Manchu in this great movie. Fu Manchu looks excellent. The make up giving him pointed ears and long fingernails you could actually call him a monster. The warped face of Fu Manchu in the mirror is the shape of things to come as we get traps of walls with spikes and an alligator pit. Fu's daughter also gets all so sadistic pleasure from whipping the hero!
The uncut restored movie is on the 'Legends Of Horror' box set and if you can get hold of that great set do so, as I very much doubt that due to the content of The Mask Of Fu Manchu that you may not see this anywhere else again on disc and certainly not on TV!

Justin101 13th May 2022 05:06 PM

You know what time it is… work done for the week, time to kick back. Not sure which one though, perhaps Jason Lives.

https://i.ibb.co/MGYQvPn/7-FC9-F41-C...C705581-F0.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/WHzyNrk/4573-B740-2...E3-C945299.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th May 2022 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 670516)
You know what time it is… work done for the week, time to kick back. Not sure which one though, perhaps Jason Lives.

It's The New Blood for me tonight followed by a start on Crystal Lake Nightmares.

It's not The New Blood by choice, it's just that's where i'm up to on the box set i bought last summer.

Justin101 13th May 2022 05:58 PM

The New Blood is a maybe for me tonight, I do enjoy that one! I was going to watch a bit of Crystal Lake Memories too :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th May 2022 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 670520)
The New Blood is a maybe for me tonight, I do enjoy that one! I was going to watch a bit of Crystal Lake Memories too :)

Obviously i'd like to watch an Urban Legend film too but may leave that until Saturday.

MrBarlow 13th May 2022 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Delirium. 1979.

A group of vigilantes target those that have escaped the justice system, a member of their group Charlie starts killing anyone he comes into contact with.

I had to watch this twice as I fell asleep through it, one of those movies that made our video nasty list, not for the over the top gore, but more for the hatred of women as they seem to be the main targets for Charlie...well young ladies seem to send him in a spiral. The acting seems very amateurish and doesn't really deliver well, the ending was a bit of a disappoint as I thought we would see a good shootout.

Attachment 240172

trebor8273 13th May 2022 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 670516)

https://i.ibb.co/MGYQvPn/7-FC9-F41-C...C705581-F0.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/WHzyNrk/4573-B740-2...E3-C945299.jpg

Spooky just started watching it, probably in the minority but much preferred the movies from here on when Jason is a zombie.

Demoncrat 13th May 2022 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After attempting to watch some Diabolik knock off, I thought "Why not go for gold here?" Hence revisiting ...

For Y'ur Height Only (1981, Eddie Nicart)

... mainly because it's just a joy to behold. See a tiny man run rings around various despots and the like. A hoot. :hail:
When Agent Double 0 gets sent in to sort out some scuzzy types ... it's a free for all. From the incredibly familiar main theme :pound: to the sheer chutzpah of it all, it always makes me smile.
Ahem. :nod::pop2:

trebor8273 13th May 2022 08:39 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0K97czqecQ&t=9s

A amicus production in which Doug McClure plays Doug McClure, a group of British sailor's and some civilians are picked up by a German U-boat, they end up at the land that time forgot a place with dinosaurs and caveman amoust other dangers , can the two crews work together and escape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQTJepXbcFg

Taking place a few months after the first , two groups are interested in the killer tots one wanting to exterminate them and the other study and protect the father from the first joins them trying to protect the murderous tots but that doesn't go well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_HfT3LQ7H0

Taking place sometime after the last movie the surviving tots are sent too a island , of course a few years pass and group set out wanting to see how they are doing.
Think this was my favourite thanks largely to Michael Moriarty who is always enjoyable to watch and plays the father of one of creatures , also more gory than the other two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l9zV-t8U9o

The late Fred Ward plays Harry Phillip Lovecraft a private eye in a alternative LA which magic is real his latest case involves zombies, monsters , demons and a certain book called the necronomican the films is a lot and fun and great blend of two genres.

Both this and it's sequel witch-hunt deserve a blu ray release in this country.

Finished Jason lives so with what today is just starting the new blood ( was going to watch the green slime but it's is Friday the 13th so thought no it's new blood)