Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Justin101 23rd May 2022 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 670874)
Don't know what it is but just can't get into found footage , maybe I should of actually watched the trailer.

There is a documentary about found footage films just released on Shudder. Don’t bother watching it, it’s tedious and badly edited with loud music over every interview. Not sure if I was the right audience to begin with also having little patience with the genre as a whole.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd May 2022 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 670892)
There is a documentary about found footage films just released on Shudder. Don’t bother watching it, it’s tedious and badly edited with loud music over every interview. Not sure if I was the right audience to begin with also having little patience with the genre as a whole.

As with all horror genres or indeed movie genres there are some excellent examples of found footage films. However they are greatly outweighed by dross.

The example mentioned above - Jeruzalem - i really enjoyed as it had a scale to it, not to mention a budget and the fact it was filmed on the streets of Jerusalem brought something else to a genre that normally takes place in confined or seemingly confined spaces.

One i particularly recommend is a British found footage film called The Borderlands. It's not about the supernatural or Bigfoot. Rather it's core is in Folk horror and Pagan rites and beliefs. Plus there's great characterisation which always helps.

Barry Levinson's The Bay is also excellent.

MrBarlow 23rd May 2022 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 670892)

Nah Justin it wasn't you, I watched part of it and switched it off

Justin101 23rd May 2022 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 670894)
Nah Justin it wasn't you, I watched part of it and switched it off

I watched all 100 mins more fool me lol…

Dem, I always trust your recommendations so I’ll check those out. I don’t dislike all FF films but only when it’s a device to make a quick and cheap movie rather than having a good idea to start with.

Demoncrat 23rd May 2022 04:34 PM

I'll also recommend The Borderlands then as it's a fine piece of work. As is Noroi: The Curse if we are talking FF.

trebor8273 23rd May 2022 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 670893)
As with all horror genres or indeed movie genres there are some excellent examples of found footage films. However they are greatly outweighed by dross.

The example mentioned above - Jeruzalem - i really enjoyed as it had a scale to it, not to mention a budget and the fact it was filmed on the streets of Jerusalem brought something else to a genre that normally takes place in confined or seemingly confined spaces.

One i particularly recommend is a British found footage film called The Borderlands. It's not about the supernatural or Bigfoot. Rather it's core is in Folk horror and Pagan rites and beliefs. Plus there's great characterisation which always helps.

Barry Levinson's The Bay is also excellent.

I really enjoyed borderlands probably one of the few of these type of films I'm sure someone on here recommended it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd May 2022 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 670903)
I really enjoyed borderlands probably one of the few of these type of films I have sure someone on here recommended it.

Probably me. :)

MrBarlow 23rd May 2022 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rambo: Last Blood. 2019.

Decided to give this one a re-watch after SymbioticFunction mentioned about watching the previous Rambo film, Our hero goes against a Mexican sex trafficking ring, gets his ass handed to him then seeks revenge his own way and battles out on his own turf. This does have the usual Sly blood lust killings but not as brutal as the previous film. Sly was 73 and still able to pack a punch then i'm up for him to keep making the movies.

Attachment 240321

trebor8273 23rd May 2022 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 670904)
Probably me. :)

Think it was!

trebor8273 23rd May 2022 08:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTIwfN-4hZ4

Thanks to everyone recommending to watch this , just like borderlands a great found footage film , there are some good ones out thier but sadly you have to wade through a river a shite to find them.

As been mentioned by others this gets marks with being set in Jerusalem, thought the smart glasses was a interesting idea and the character's aren't super annoying.

Now watching , who can't like a film which a demon pees on a priest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06YwV1KRQWk

After this will end the night with something completely different a episode or two of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MawR-tA61dM

MrBarlow 23rd May 2022 09:52 PM

Glad you liked JeruZalem Treb, :pop2:

trebor8273 23rd May 2022 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 670938)
Glad you liked JeruZalem Treb, :pop2:

The bay is also on shudder and that's also been recommended so will give that a try later this week.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd May 2022 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Proposal (2009)

Sandra Bullock plays a bitchy publisher who finds out she has no US visa and is to be deported back to Canada. She bribes her assistant (Ryan Reynolds) to marry her in return for a publishing deal. However things get complicated when they visit his family in Alaska in an effort to convince immigration officials they really are in love.

An amiable easy to watch rom-com with Bullock and Reynolds in good form - Thankfully Reynolds isn't playing Deadpool - and a strong cast including Betty White and Mary Steenburgen make sure it's not all about the two leads.

In all truth there's nothing that's new here and it's the sort of comedy that could easily have come out of the forties with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn. That's probably why i like it.

The Alaskan scenery and colourful towns means this would look lovely on Blu-ray.

Note to self - Have a look for the Pacino / Williams thriller Insomnia on Blu if you want to see gloomy Alaska.

MrBarlow 23rd May 2022 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 670940)
The bay is also on shudder and that's also been recommended so will give that a try later this week.

If you like foreign subtitled movies check out The Medium on Shudder, it's over two hours long but wasn't too bad

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd May 2022 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 670940)

I missed your Jeruzalem thoughts until now, Treb. Pleased you enjoyed it.

The Bay is different in how the found footage is put together which is pretty cool. It's not a bunch of clowns filming on phones or shit like that.

In fact i think i'll rewatch it myself now.

trebor8273 23rd May 2022 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 670947)
I missed your Jeruzalem thoughts until now, Treb. Pleased you enjoyed it.

The Bay is different in how the found footage is put together which is pretty cool. It's not a bunch of clowns filming on phones or shit like that.

In fact i think i'll rewatch it myself now.

That's the problem with found footage 90% of them are some idiots who think they can make a film with a mobile phone and zero talent.

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th May 2022 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Bay (2012)

A found footage horror film from the Oscar winning director of Rain Man (1988), Disclosure (1994) and Good Morning Vietnam (1987), Barry Levinson.

The Bay is something truly different. Set at the July 4th celebrations of a small Maryland town in 2009 where people inexplicably become sick with a variety of symptoms including terrible rashes. It's deduced it may have come from toxic sea water caused by excrement from the local chicken industry that's dumped into the waters of the bay.

A prologue states that this documentary style horror film (a mockumentary ?) contains digital footage confiscated by the US Government in an attempt to cover up what happened. Now three years later that footage from various sources from home video, to police car dash cams to CCTV, to actual news reports has been leaked and put together by an upcoming university reporter in an attempt to tell the world what happened.

A cross between Jaws and eco-horror this was a personal film for director Levinson who grew up in Maryland. He was approached to make a documentary about the Chesapeake Bay area's issues with pollution in it's water and it being 40% dead. Finding out such a doc had recently been made he decided to turn his findings into a horror film.

Actually having it as found footage from multiple sources gives the film a proper docudrama feel allowing the viewer a genuine insight into the town, the whole picture, from the hospitals and the CDC to the police and naturally the local townsfolk. The film doesn't follow one single person but the girl putting all the footage together narrates events as they happened to her knowledge at the time.

At times very gruesome and guaranteed to make your skin crawl - you think images of Monkeypox makes you itch - The Bay is a horror film that is 80% true and the cause of the infection is deep rooted in reality.

Excellent.

MrBarlow 24th May 2022 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scooby-Doo. 2002.

After Mystery. Inc breaks up, they are individually invited to investigate strange goings on at Spooky Island attraction park.

Being a PG rated film, this does have a bit of adult humour, jokes that can still crack a smile even with Rowan Atkinson is able to bring some comedy with with his facial gestures. Freddie Prinze Jr and Sarah Michelle Gellar play Fred and Daphne who starts off being the damsel in distress but kicked it up a notch which didn't seem right. Linda Cardellini plays the brainstorming Velma and able to almost sound like the original cartoon character and Mathew Lillard playing Shaggy. Even though Scooby is made by using CGI, Lillard is able to make it look real when they are on screen together.

Attachment 240334

Justin101 24th May 2022 07:13 PM

What Films Have You Seen Recently?

I wish Linda Cardellini was in more stuff, she’s really good in this and cult TV show Freaks and Geeks.

MrBarlow 24th May 2022 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 670980)
I wish Linda Cardellini was in more stuff, she’s really good in this and cult TV show Freaks and Geeks.

Last film I saw her in was The Curse Of La Llorona and she was good in that.

MrBarlow 24th May 2022 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed. 2004.

The gang return to take on the monsters from their previous cases who have been resurrected.

The four main actors from the first film return this time teaming up with museum curator Seth Green and believe they are taking on The Black Knight Peter Boyle who seems to enjoy his comedy moments. The CGI for Scooby seems a bit more touched up from the first film and returning characters from the cartoon series. Alicia Silverstone stars as the journalist/news reporter who seems to have a hatred for the Mystery. Inc team.

Attachment 240335

Frankie Teardrop 25th May 2022 10:16 AM

TITANE – From the maker of ‘Raw’, Julia Ducournau. ‘Titane’ isn’t playing anyone’s game except its own, and I imagine it’ll baffle many. It starts out as an arguable art-slasher movie with this odd, quite blunt JG Ballard-type imagery, then shifts gear and transforms into a relationships drama about righting the wrongs of severed attachments. Unexpected, but that’s not to say the film is aesthetically inconsistent – beneath the sheen of the camerawork there’s this constant grinding physicality that unifies on a tonal level, and a countervailing surreality that comes and goes. Few reviews have mentioned that it’s actually quite funny; a blackly comic undercurrent sets out its stall early on when the lead character basically murders someone by trashing their face with a chair and then finds she’s so knackered that she has to take a quick sit down in it (one of the legs is still implanted in the guy’s eye socket)! Well, I laughed. ‘Titane’ is a demanding film that probably rewards a couple of viewings over just one. Recommended, but don’t expect a standard genre flick or even a re-run of ‘Raw’.

SPECIES 2 – The ‘Species’ series seems interesting now, because in horror these days you don’t really ever see the same kind of collision between a relatively big budget (at least for the first two) and an out-and-out B-movie trash approach (all of ‘em). I thought they were pretty enjoyable then and probably even more so now. ‘Species 2’ simply picks up where the original left off and doles out more of the same, which includes some tasty body morphing special fx and gore. Immaculately disposable cinema and basically a posh direct-to-video flick if ever there was one, but fun, which is obviously the point. The 88 disc looks very good.

TOXIC ZOMBIES – Potheads get sprayed by The Man’s crop-duster and turn into etc. A very low budget offering from the late seventies which makes up in creaky charm for any lack of (insert basic cinematic value of your choice here). It plays like a poor relation of “I Drink Your Blood” – the themes of marginal groups rubbing up against square society, and of poisoning as the mode of zombie production, are similar. ‘Toxic Zombies’, unlike IDYB, is no trash classic, but if you fancy ninety minutes of stumbling around in the woods with a bit of red paint here and there you can check out a nice looking transfer on YT. Shoddy but not dire, with a couple of cheap thrills and a slightly ‘off’ atmosphere. I liked it, but it’s my kind of thing.

MrBarlow 25th May 2022 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Evil Come Evil Go. 1972.

A religious fanatic kills people who are engaging in sex.

Anyone looked at the description of a movie, know it's gonna be cheesy and so bad yet you still wind up putting it on? Yes that is what I have done with this film. At clocking in at almost 70 minutes this felt longer. The acting is more laughable than creepy and half the cast spend most time undressed than dressed, the director thought it be good to put in some sex scenes and full male and female nudity (yep everything is shown and near up close). The kills scenes are not the best and no effort put into it by the actors. I'm sure someone from the 70s would have got their rocks off watching this.

Attachment 240344

MrBarlow 25th May 2022 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Project X. 1968.

A spy coming back from the East holding memories of a new weapon, when he looses his memory, scientist use a advance technology to get the answers they need.

William Castle veers away from the horror genre and jumps feet in first with this film dealing with biological warfare, somewhat human manipulation and a deep mystery thriller. Despite this appearing to look low budget Castle does go with what he can with was he is given but manages to get Christopher George, Greta Baldwin and Henry Jones on board. Being filmed in the 60s this was far from being boring, this was interesting and certainly not be the last time it be watched.

Attachment 240349

Demoncrat 25th May 2022 06:38 PM

Butt Boy (2019, Tyler Cornack)

Second time with this oddity. I might take it more seriously :rolleyes: but the lead still reminds me of Marcus Brigstocke :lol:. A detective who is trying to remain sober begins to realise that his sponsor might just be more than anally retentive.

Witchhunt (1994, Paul Schraeder)

Hopper plays the detective Lovecraft this time (sequel to Cast A Deadly Spell), a bit more noir this time but with plenty of that old black magic to balance it out. DH seems a bit out of sorts and you do miss Fred tbh.

Extraordinary Tales (2013, Raul Garcia)

Animated Poe anthology. Decent enough, even if the Lugosi one was abridged ahem. Some visuals worked better than others imho.

Castle Freak (2020)

Appallingly shit apart from the creature design. Kneejerkingly bad on every level.
AVOID.

MrBarlow 25th May 2022 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Big Trouble In Little China. 1986.

A truck driver Jack Burton and his friend Wang Chi battle a ancient sorcerer in San Francisco's Chinatown.

Kurt Russell and John Carpenter team up again for this Comedy, Science-Fiction, Horror and Action movie, yeah the dialogue is cheesy and daft but when Victor Wong turns up he makes the film a bit more comedic. James Hong plays the old sorcerer Lo Pan who manages to have light coming out of his mouth. Dennis Dun plays the small sidekick and is able to dish out some good kicks. Kim Cattrall plays the somewhat daft heroine who manages to get kidnapped and needs rescuing. Still entertaining.

Attachment 240351

MrBarlow 25th May 2022 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 671031)

Castle Freak (2020)

Appallingly shit apart from the creature design. Kneejerkingly bad on every level.
AVOID.

Surprised you didn't like this one, I thought it was a good remake, yeah the creature designs were decent

trebor8273 25th May 2022 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 670960)
The Bay (2012)

A found footage horror film from the Oscar winning director of Rain Man (1988), Disclosure (1994) and Good Morning Vietnam (1987), Barry Levinson.

The Bay is something truly different. Set at the July 4th celebrations of a small Maryland town in 2009 where people inexplicably become sick with a variety of symptoms including terrible rashes. It's deduced it may have come from toxic sea water caused by excrement from the local chicken industry that's dumped into the waters of the bay.

A prologue states that this documentary style horror film (a mockumentary ?) contains digital footage confiscated by the US Government in an attempt to cover up what happened. Now three years later that footage from various sources from home video, to police car dash cams to CCTV, to actual news reports has been leaked and put together by an upcoming university reporter in an attempt to tell the world what happened.

A cross between Jaws and eco-horror this was a personal film for director Levinson who grew up in Maryland. He was approached to make a documentary about the Chesapeake Bay area's issues with pollution in it's water and it being 40% dead. Finding out such a doc had recently been made he decided to turn his findings into a horror film.

Actually having it as found footage from multiple sources gives the film a proper docudrama feel allowing the viewer a genuine insight into the town, the whole picture, from the hospitals and the CDC to the police and naturally the local townsfolk. The film doesn't follow one single person but the girl putting all the footage together narrates events as they happened to her knowledge at the time.

At times very gruesome and guaranteed to make your skin crawl - you think images of Monkeypox makes you itch - The Bay is a horror film that is 80% true and the cause of the infection is deep rooted in reality.

Excellent.

Watched this last night and totally agree , another excellent footage film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06YwV1KRQWk

Yes it's shit but I enjoy it every time I've seen it , supposedly Barker hated it but as he's was the screen writer his just as much too blame as anyone. Quite sick and gory in places and unintentionally funny.

Now watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuAo1CRGClc&t=10s

Followed by

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEopHQHTLCs&t=7s

Both not seen before.

trebor8273 25th May 2022 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 671033)
Surprised you didn't like this one, I thought it was a good remake, yeah the creature designs were decent

I actually enjoyed it as well and thought it did a few things better than the original.

Demoncrat 25th May 2022 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After 10 minutes I had predicted exactly what was going to happen. Next!

Midnight Ride (1990, Bob Bralver)

The Dudikoff? Mark Hamill?? Robert Mitchum???
Ahem. A cop saves his failing marriage by chasing down the maniac that has kidnapped his wife. Well, that's what happens :lol:
Ahem. About as Cannon as it gets tbh, what with the endless set pieces and that. The ending especially :laugh:

nicholasrope 25th May 2022 08:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Never Ending Story

1984 Fantasy Film which sees a bullied boy read a book set in a fantasy world called Fantasia, where a warrior has to save Fantasia from ruin. In 2022, it's not all that bad, it's short with some decent effects for it's time.

The title song is now in my head

Top Gun: Maverick

The Sequel which some thought that may never have come sees Tom Cruise return to the Top Gun School to teach the new recruits before they go on a dangerous mission.

We finally have that blockbuster film (That's not Marvel) that is well worth it, it's fun and really enjoyable.

SPOILER:
Instead of a Volleyball game, we have a American Football game in the Sea

SPOILER:
And in the best scene, we have a conversation between Cruise and Val Kilmer

A proper Popcorn Film

MrBarlow 25th May 2022 09:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Conan The Barbarian. 1982.

After his family is killed, young Conan becomes a slave, grows up to be a fighter and goes on a crusade of revenge.

Big Arnie becomes the sword fighter teaming up with prisoner with Subotai played by Gary Lopez, female warrior Valeria played by Sandahl Bergman and wizard played by Mako. James Earl Jones plays the bad guy who enjoys whacking people's heads off Thulsa Doom who represents the snakes. I have always preferred Conan The Destroyer over this but i'm am warming up to it quickly.

Attachment 240364

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th May 2022 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hard Rain (1998)

Fun actioner in which a river floods a town and whilst the waters rise Christian Slater's armored truck is involved in a heist led by Morgan Freeman and his gang.

It's pretty much none stop action from start to finish. A decent cast including Randy Quaid and Minnie Driver sort of convince but it's all about the spectacle really and the gun fights, and the crazy boat shit that goes down, not to mention the nearby dam exploding and the Golden Girls Betty White sat up a tree.

Undemanding, enjoyable, entertainment.

trebor8273 25th May 2022 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 671045)
Hard Rain (1998)

Fun actioner in which a river floods a town and whilst the waters rise Christian Slater's armored truck is involved in a heist led by Morgan Freeman and his gang.

It's pretty much none stop action from start to finish. A decent cast including Randy Quaid and Minnie Driver sort of convince but it's all about the spectacle really and the gun fights, and the crazy boat shit that goes down, not to mention the nearby dam exploding and the Golden Girls Betty White sat up a tree.

Undemanding, enjoyable, entertainment.

I'm sold at Betty White sat up a tree!

Justin101 26th May 2022 03:20 PM

TOP GUN: MAVERICK

The ridiculous and hugely entertaining action film I didn’t know that I needed but I honestly smiled and teared up back and forth through the entire film. Brilliant fun! Soundtrack is amazing as well!!

Just enough fan service to not be annoying but also still be effective. Go and see it on the big screen it’s so much fun.

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th May 2022 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 671061)
TOP GUN: MAVERICK

The ridiculous and hugely entertaining action film I didn’t know that I needed but I honestly smiled and teared up back and forth through the entire film. Brilliant fun! Soundtrack is amazing as well!!

Just enough fan service to not be annoying but also still be effective. Go and see it on the big screen it’s so much fun.

Is that actually a story to this one?

The first film is just nothing. Totally empty.

Justin101 26th May 2022 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 671062)
Is that actually a story to this one?

The first film is just nothing. Totally empty.

There is actually a narrative yes! Not just boys flying planes and playing beach volleyball :lol:

MrBarlow 26th May 2022 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Exit Wounds. 2001.

Inner city tough cop Orin Boyd is transferred to a precinct and uncovers discovers corruption, dirty cops.

One of Seagal's better movies before they went straight to dvd and he was sporting a goatee, developed more chins than a Chinese phone book, able to move about and show more moves before getting tired out. Here he plays with his own rules which gets him transferred to Jill Hennessey's precinct and only fits in with Isaiah Washington. Michael Jai White plays the locker room leader (seriously what does this guy bench press) and controls his own little kliq of dodgy coppers.

DMX plays the somewhat shady business man with club owner Anthony Anderson who seems to have his own agenda in making deals and exposing the wrong people to the right people. Tom Arnold plays the T.V. show host who gets involved with Boyd through the anger management class, guess he is still angry at being married to Roseanne? This one is decent to watch and have a laugh at.

Attachment 240375

MrBarlow 26th May 2022 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jackass Forever. 2022.

After a long break, the crew are back with some new faces and more daft stunts, even grandpa Irvine Zisman gets launched higher than before. In jackass 3D Knoxville had a encounter with a bull and lost yet he does it again and still lost and came off worse than ever. But as usual they filmed too much so Jackass 4.5 will come out soon enough. This still made me laugh though.

Attachment 240376

trebor8273 26th May 2022 09:34 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm64rbORo_w

Ron Howard's more talented brother plays a local ice cream man who's ice cream the neighbourhood can't get enough of , little do they know what the secret ingredient is that makes it so tasty a gory black comedy horror , while Clint Howard's ice cream man is creepy you do feel sorry for him, watch out for Jan Macheal Vincent as inept cop as well David Naughton. A lot better than I thought it would be.

Know watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A33OxMfB0WE

Afterwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTttW_g8SE0