Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

nicholasrope 2nd June 2022 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 671306)
Eaten Alive. 1980.

A woman teams up with a mercenary and travels to New Guinea to find her sister who has joined a religious cult that is surrounded by a tribe of cannibals.

This is not Lenzi's greatest achievement movie and uses footage from other cannibal films but still entertains and Jim jones and his Jonestown dream may have been the inspiration for Ivan Rassimov as the religious fanatic. Janet Argen plays Sheila who hires Robert Kerman to find her sister Paola Senatore who has joined the cult. Is it just me or was Mel Ferrer's voice dubbed one moment then his actual voice is heard? At least there is a upside of Me Me Lai appearing on screen half naked.

Attachment 240452

Not going to lie, I'm shocked that this one hasn't had the Shameless or 88 Films treatment. I believe that the last UK release was that Vipco Screamtime release.

Other than the Animal stuff, could it be that they think that some of the other scenes will be cut as well possibly Agren being drugged and assaulted and/or her Sister's death scene.

Demoncrat 2nd June 2022 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 671323)
The Grifters (1990)

An enjoyable neo-noir about three con artists - John Cusack, Angelica Huston and Annette Bening - whose lives are drawn together due to Cusack's hospitalisation following a grift gone wrong.

It's an entertaining film with several scenes of proper brutality as well as full frontal nudity from Bening, however the overall feel is of a bleak movie, none of the characters are sympathetic and it's all pretty grimy.

I finally got round to watching the 101 Films Black Label limited edition Blu-ray and i wasn't impressed. The picture quality is average at best, soft to look at without any depth. I'd say this is one of the worst examples of HD i've come across. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if it were simply a dvd upscale.

Had i not sold my dvd when i originally bought this several years ago i'd have got rid of this Blu-ray.

To be fair, most of the original author's characters aren't really that ... hospitable tbh. He also wrote The Killer Inside Me if that helps cough. Jim Thompson. Recommended. You want hard boiled etc. Ahem.

MrBarlow 2nd June 2022 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 671344)
Not going to lie, I'm shocked that this one hasn't had the Shameless or 88 Films treatment. I believe that the last UK release was that Vipco Screamtime release.

Other than the Animal stuff, could it be that they think that some of the other scenes will be cut as well possibly Agren being drugged and assaulted and/or her Sister's death scene.

Shameless have released Mountain Of The Cannibal God, Cannibal Holocaust and Ferox, they might snap up this one at some point.

MrBarlow 2nd June 2022 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Relic. 1997.

A homicide detective and a anthropologist team up to discover a previous murder leads them to a new exhibition that opens up in a museum where the killer may be and it may not be human.

If Anything Zombie Flesh Eaters and Contamination have taught us, if a boat turns up with no crew or everyone is dead, you know the shit is about to hit the fan and not just in a small way. The stowaway in this just happens to be a big man-eating lizard that has been worshiped as a god from South America.

Tom SIzemore plays the detective teaming up with Penelope Ann Miller to uncover who is doing all these killings and when it turns out it's a creature, Sizemore does ask the best question "how do we kill it" and gets the best answer "got no idea" then start getting creative. Peter Hyams does create a good build up of suppense and tense moments and added in the dread of claustrophobia, only bad thing is part of it filmed in low lighting and a bit of a strain on the eyes.

Attachment 240463

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd June 2022 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just watched I Walked with a Zombie (1943) on BBC4.

I sat down hoping to watch it in glorious HD but sadly it was a fairly tired looking print which was i think worse then the dvd. So i turned it off.

Did i hell as like. I sat there and watched it and loved every single minute of it.

That's what you do with your favourite films i guess.

Please someone afford this some 1080P love. You can even shove a poster, cards and booklet in and charge fifty quid. I'll still buy it.

MrBarlow 3rd June 2022 03:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After watching some of a film that's really not suitable to watch while at work I decided to watch this.

Assault. 1971.

A school girl is raped and murdered in the woods taking a short cut home, a few days later another girl is murdered, the police and a reporter team up to find the culprit.

Peter rogers who produced the Carry On films took a break from them and created this film from the novel by Kendal Young (which I haven't read). Most of the violence is done off screen, we do see the aftermath of the dead body with a shirt ripped open and bra exposed, a teacher getting a bit hands on while a girl is on a stool but that's as far as things go.

Suzy Kendall plays the art teacher who becomes bait to lure out the sexual predator, Frank Finlay plays the baffled detective on the case and Freddie Jones as the reporter who may be a ideal help. There is some twist and turns along the way but the acting is not the best at times but certainly helped pass time.

Attachment 240465

(This went under the title In The Devil's Garden)

MrBarlow 3rd June 2022 05:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Sadness. 2021.

During the midst of a virus breakout turning people into blood thirsty sadists, a young couple try to find each other and survive.

After a few posts about this film I finally checked this out and fook me the Japanese really go full blown no holds barred with this, total gore fest with this film. This is certainly one to watch, good effects and make up used and plenty of tense moments in this. From the start we are thrown into the character build up from the two main stars and then thrown into the midst of the outbreak and hell of surviving.

Attachment 240466

Have a good day all :rockon:

Dave Boy 3rd June 2022 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 671350)
Just watched I Walked with a Zombie (1943) on BBC4.

I sat down hoping to watch it in glorious HD but sadly it was a fairly tired looking print which was i think worse then the dvd. So i turned it off.

Did i hell as like. I sat there and watched it and loved every single minute of it.

That's what you do with your favourite films i guess.

Please someone afford this some 1080P love. You can even shove a poster, cards and booklet in and charge fifty quid. I'll still buy it.

I watched the movie and Cat People before. Yes, tired prints. Same prints they showed in the BBC2 double bill days expect. That was probably the last time they put them on.
A good nights viewing though.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd June 2022 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 671361)
I watched the movie and Cat People before. Yes, tired prints. Same prints they showed in the BBC2 double bill days expect. That was probably the last time they put them on.
A good nights viewing though.

I didn't watch Cat People having only seen the Criterion Blu a few months ago.

MrBarlow 3rd June 2022 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mulberry Street. 2006.

A virus break out in a part of Manhattan, tenants of a run down building try to survive the night.

Whoever said rats carry diseases were right but the rats in this film don't just carry diseases, they can turn people slowly into giant humanoid rats that crave the hunger for fresh human blood. The make-up effects are decently done and shown going from a slow process from human to creature, the actors do a good job of making it believable that shit can happen at any time. Two bits of a downfall, at times the cinematography can seem a bit amateurish and parts used on a home camcorder and there is no explanation for the outbreak, aside from that it's a decent enough movie movie to sit through.

Attachment 240468

Susan Foreman 3rd June 2022 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 671366)
Mulberry Street. 2006.

Attachment 240468

That must be the American release because in the UK the film was known as 'Zombie Virus on Mulberry Street'

MrBarlow 3rd June 2022 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 671368)
That must be the American release because in the UK the film was known as 'Zombie Virus on Mulberry Street'

That will explain a lot with Shudder and their alternate titles.

trebor8273 3rd June 2022 07:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdJrgOKUnL0

More like Borbius!

Michael Morbius has a rare blood disorder , he just happens to be a brilliant scientist that thinks bats can cure him , they do but has the side effect of turning him into a vampire like creature with a thirst for blood , his friend Milo who is also sick played by Matt Smith steals the formula and unlike Morbius imbraces his vampire side and that's about it.

Some really crappy CGI, characters you don't care about and even the actors looked like they wanted to be someplace else!

Now watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo4uoI4QBQo

MrBarlow 3rd June 2022 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Digital Man. 1995.

A out of control cyborg is let loose in a community, the corporation sends in a team to destroy it but begin to suspect that they may be robots too.

Filmed in 1995 this looks like it was made in 1985, very low-budget, Matthius Hues again plays the bad guy Digital Man and looks like he can barely fight with all the gear on. Ed Lauter appears as Army General supervising the operation, this guy had a great career why would he be in this? The plot goes from a search to find another robot that's gone haywire, something about nuclear launch codes then who is actually human, i'm still confused, maybe Xtro 1982 will help me to forget this film.

Attachment 240469

MrBarlow 3rd June 2022 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Xtro. 1982.

While playing with his son and Dog, Sam disappears in a blinding light, three years later Sam returns but something is different about him.

I bet when Harry Davenport was making this he probably had no idea he was making a classic alien movie, the acting can be a bit wooden at times but does have some good creature effects and decent make-up effects.

Phillip Sayer plays Sam, his acting in't that bad but that could be due to the nature of the character he is playing. Bernice Stegers plays the wife who has moved on, been away for three years and a bit of a MILF who can actuually blame her for not being single. Maryam D'Abo plays the french Au Pair/housekeeper who like showing off her body :drool: Danny Brainin plays the new man Joe who comes across as a jealous boyfriend when the hubby turns up and generally acts like a prick. This is one of those films you watch time and time again and never gets boring.

Attachment 240475

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd June 2022 10:58 PM

Playing catch up.

3 Attachment(s)
Robin Hood (2010)

Following Gladiator (2000) director Ridley Scott and star Russell Crowe team up for this revisionist version of how the legend of Robin Hood began. There's some fine acting from an A-list cast as well as some terrific battle scenes, but if you go into this expecting a typical Robin Hood with Crowe dashing round the forest dressed in Lincoln green then you are in for a disappointment as the film is nearer to the aforementioned Roman epic than anything starring Eroll Flynn or Richard Greene.

Earthquake (1974)

Another terrific cast (Charlton Heston, Ava Gardner, George Kennedy, Genevieve Bujold, Lorne Greene, Walter Matthau and more) are caught up in director Mark Robson's thrilling movie of seismic devastation as a huge earthquake tears up LA.

The real life stunt and special effects work is amazing and really gives the impression that the huge chunks of reinforced concrete as buildings collapse are actually happening unlike todays totally computer generated cartoons er' movies such as San Andreas (2015).

Anyone who enjoys 70's disaster movies will love this.

The Blu-ray looks absolutely gorgeous although it doesn't help that silly blood splat which was superimposed on the film when an elevator full of folk plummets to the ground and soaking the stunt people in stage blood failed to work.

Vampyres (1974)

Speaking of blood, Vampyres stars a pair of glamour models in Marianne Morris and Anulka Dziubinska as two beautiful vampires who lure unsuspecting male motorists back to their mansion, sexually exhaust them then murder them in an orgy of blood drinking violence.

Jose Larraz' shocker is probably the film that best encompasses the heady blend of sex and horror in all of British cinema and makes great use of the Gothic Victorian mansion Oakley Court.

MrBarlow 4th June 2022 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Massacre At Central High. 1976.

David a new transfer student notices a group of boys bullying those around them, David tries to intervene but nobody stands upto them. When David is beaten he hatches a plan to get even, when he does the other students try to take control of the school.

This was one of those films I really didn't pay much attention to when I had the Dark Night Boxset Horror, but after revisiting it today why did I avoid this for so many years. It's not your regular slasher film but more revenge on the bullies that the bullied ones try and take over certain patches of the school. The creative killings are done decently that Paul Kersey would be proud of, the acting is decent, may be B grade low budget and outdated film but i'm happy to return to this.

Attachment 240485

trebor8273 4th June 2022 06:40 PM

8http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo4uoI4QBQo

A enjoyable shudder exclusive about a young man who is reviewer for a horror magazine, who follows the boy friend of the his flatmate who he is in loving with he ends up at what he thinks is some type of AA meeting for alcoholics or drug users but ends not long before he figures something is off and that is that they are all serial killers!

So begins a battle for survival against a group of serial killers , each killer is based partially on a well knowing slasher killer, we have a Bateman type and a Jason knock-off. As I said enjoyable with some decent gore .

Was going to watch Salem's Lot but went with this which I've not seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyRkoL45JGk

Off to see Top Gun Maverick tomorrow.

MrBarlow 4th June 2022 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Silent Madness. 1984.

After a error of a patient mix up, a criminally insane killer is released from the psychiatric unit, a young doctor goes back to his home town to warn people of the danger they could be in.

Typical ain't it, there is a mix up and everyone blamed the computer system instead of human error...except when a disaster happens then it's human error and not equipment error. This was a good fun slasher, basically after 5-6 minutes we are thrown into the movie and young nurse Belinda Montgomery goes full blown Dr. Sam Loomis mode to track down killer Solly Marx. The killings are done decently and effective effects and make-up, the acting is enjoyable with Viveca Linfords giving a back story and good twist in the end.

Attachment 240487

nicholasrope 4th June 2022 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 671349)
The Relic. 1997.

A homicide detective and a anthropologist team up to discover a previous murder leads them to a new exhibition that opens up in a museum where the killer may be and it may not be human.

If Anything Zombie Flesh Eaters and Contamination have taught us, if a boat turns up with no crew or everyone is dead, you know the shit is about to hit the fan and not just in a small way. The stowaway in this just happens to be a big man-eating lizard that has been worshiped as a god from South America.

Tom SIzemore plays the detective teaming up with Penelope Ann Miller to uncover who is doing all these killings and when it turns out it's a creature, Sizemore does ask the best question "how do we kill it" and gets the best answer "got no idea" then start getting creative. Peter Hyams does create a good build up of suppense and tense moments and added in the dread of claustrophobia, only bad thing is part of it filmed in low lighting and a bit of a strain on the eyes.

Attachment 240463

Have to watch this again soon, it's been quite a while. Remember enjoying this a lot.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th June 2022 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kong: Skull Island (2017)

I think you know by now if this sort of thing is your bag. Me, i love this film.

The Dolby Atmos track on the Blu-ray is immense. When Kong roared my front room shook.

Nordicdusk 5th June 2022 11:30 AM

I tried to watch Justice League last night the 4 hour cut but i lasted barely an hour its horrendous and looks bloody terrible apart from the actors everything else is cgi and the over use of slow motion was killing me.

MrBarlow 5th June 2022 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cemetery Of Terror. 1986.

A bit of a Mexican mix mash movie that is like a movie rip-off from other films and may inspired another film that came out two years later by Kevin Tenney. We got a group of students who decide to find a place to party, steal a corpse...yeah they won't graduate now, find a book that brings evil spirits. The body they steal belongs to a serial killer and a doctor is on the hunt for the teens who have woken up the dead. A mix of The Evil Dead, Halloween and Night Of The Demons .

This was a bit of a laugh as the young actors really try their best to over act each other, except Hugo Stiglitz who is a pleasure to watch and try to be the hero of the film. The make-up for the zombies look like something you would see in Burial Ground. There is a nice dark atmosphere in and around the cemetery scenes with a bit of a eerie mist going on. This kept me entertained.

Attachment 240492

trebor8273 5th June 2022 07:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSmJsg19r4g

From the son of David Chronenberg comes this tale of body horror/ possession , a woman is a assassins but unlike most assassins she takes over the mind of someone close too the target well directed with some disturbing scenes , one of the last scenes leaves you thinking WTF that didn't just happened! Tone and theme very similar to his farther.

A alligator double tonight thanks too shudder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_f3-h4tGFQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMYA8CUqlKs

MrBarlow 5th June 2022 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Blood Mania. 1970.

A sex crazed nymphomaniac speeds up her father's death to gain the inheritance money for her boyfriend.

I think watching Peter Carpenter in films can be a hit or a miss and may be the reason he gave up acting at a early age but in this he seemed to enjoy himself a bit too much. As for the title it is misleading as there is blood in it but not a great amount and nothing too splattery in it, but does have one or two twists and turns ans some female nudity in it. May give this a re-watch but won't be anytime soon.

Attachment 240493

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th June 2022 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Wind (1986)

Aka Edge of Terror, this thriller from Nico Mastorakis is and i won't deny it even though i love it, an odd beast. Set on a Greek island during high winds it's a bit Gothic horror, a bit slasher movie and a bit Euro weirdness.

It has a neat atmosphere to it but when it all boils down not an awful lot happens other than Wings Hauser chases Meg Foster around for an hour. The windswept island and general strangeness always keep me enthralled then when you add the national treasure that was Robert Morley to proceedings it becomes a true winner for me.

I can see why others may not really have the same love for it though.

I've also watched a couple of old favourites over the last couple of days in Easy Rider (1969) and Withnail and I (1987). Two very different films and yet two strikingly similar ones as well. Similar in that they are about two friends who leave their familiar surroundings and find themselves in inhospitable lands so very foreign to them even though they never leave their respective country.

I've reviewed both multiple times in the past and both are in my top twenty films of all time.

MrBarlow 5th June 2022 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Beast In Heat. 1977.

A senior SS Officer and Doctor create a genetic human beast which she uses to torture and rape female prisoners.

After seeing the trailers for this I knew what I was going into with this film and this landed on the Video Nasty list and one of the few to actually be prosecuted?? Macha Magall plays the officer and doctor who exploits the female prisoners for her own personnel enjoyment, there was many secret experiments going on by the SS maybe this was one of them as they were sicko's. Yeah this did have it's moments of sexual graphic scenes and a fair bit of violence towards women but at times it was laughable, yet exploitation fans won't be disappointed in this.

Attachment 240495

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th June 2022 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 671433)
The Beast In Heat. 1977.

A senior SS Officer and Doctor create a genetic human beast which she uses to torture and rape female prisoners.

After seeing the trailers for this I knew what I was going into with this film and this landed on the Video Nasty list and one of the few to actually be prosecuted?? Macha Magall plays the officer and doctor who exploits the female prisoners for her own personnel enjoyment, there was many secret experiments going on by the SS maybe this was one of them as they were sicko's. Yeah this did have it's moments of sexual graphic scenes and a fair bit of violence towards women but at times it was laughable, yet exploitation fans won't be disappointed in this.

Attachment 240495

Where did you see this? Streaming?

I have it on dvd from Shriek Show and only ask because it's still unreleased (Banned?) over here. If you saw it on Shudder or another platform then it's obvious that anything goes on them regarding BBFC guidelines.

MrBarlow 6th June 2022 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 671434)
Where did you see this? Streaming?

I have it on dvd from Shriek Show and only ask because it's still unreleased (Banned?) over here. If you saw it on Shudder or another platform then it's obvious that anything goes on them regarding BBFC guidelines.

Yeah I found it on a streaming service I came across by chance, Film1k, some of the films on there the BBFC would have a field day with them.

nosferatu42 6th June 2022 04:55 AM

A lot of the banned stuff can be found on youtube of all places.

trebor8273 6th June 2022 09:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWRZrhp3zkw

A family buy a baby alligator but not long after the father flushes it down the shitter. Years later the baby has growing huge because a medical research company dumping dead animals that have been experimented on with grow hormones which it feeds on grows to a giant size and emerges from the sewers and starts munching on the city's population but luckily Robert Foster is there to stop it, always enjoyed this with its bmovie feel and gore.

Also watched the last drive in exorcist 3 episode as usually Joe Bob goes off on one rambling about things not related to the film.

Now watching one of my favourites of the 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Iqy6m7U7c

nicholasrope 6th June 2022 09:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thor: Ragnarok

One of my favorite Marvel Films which sees Thor have to defeat his estranged Sister whilst escaping a planet run by Jeff Goldblum. Loki and Incredible Hulk also have large roles.

Thor is my favorite character in the Marvel Universe and Chris Hemsworth plays hi to perfection. This Film is so entertaining with it's humor as well as great performances. I know that I've gone on about Marvel fatigue, but I'm looking forward to Thor: Love & Thunder.

Reservoir Dogs

Quentin Tarrantino's debut sees the aftermath of a botched robbery and the looking of a Mole in the criminal's camp. In 1993 this was so different to what was being released at the time. Also the banning of the Film helped it's status as well, was the banning due to the violence or was it to do with similar events in real life at the time?

I remember taping off Channel 4 back in the day (Oh the memories) and I quite liked it, watched it many times. I then bought the VHS on sale from HMV and didn't like it as much, I began to think it was overrated compared to other releases around that time. Watched it again and I quite enjoyed it again.

Very weird lol.

Arachnophobia

Jeff Daniels is the new Doctor in town and some of the local residents start dying after a new breed of Spiders hitch a lift inside of a Coffin after a Photographer dies in South America. Julian Sands and John Goodman co-star.

Haven't watched this in many many years and after reading that Blumhouse and The Director of Freaky were doing a remake, I fished out the DVD and watched it as if it was new (I had completely forgotten everything that happens) and I had a great time, it was so entertaining. I think it helps that the Spiders were of normal size and it had tense moments. Can't believe it still got a PG certificate on DVD, thought it would have got a 12.

Demoncrat 7th June 2022 12:00 PM

Hounds Of Love

Wasn't impressed. Watch Snow Town instead. :nod:

All My Friends Hate Me (2021, Andrew Gaynord)

Reunion caper.
When a chap drives into the country to reunite with old friends, his old reputation seems to have preceded him. An odd wee thing (British) and it does rachet up the tension somewhat. Whether this all adds up to a satisfying ending depends on your attitude towards the lead tbh. Hmmm.

Mojo 7th June 2022 05:23 PM

HUNTED ( 1972 )
Edward Woodward keeps June Ritchie hostage as he aims to shoot passers by from her office. But who is his intended target and why?
This absorbing 40 minute drama could easily be a stage play, and the two stars give a terrific performance in this production from the Pemini Organisation - a group of UK filmmakers formed in the early seventies.

ASSASSIN ( 1973 )
The Pemini crew leap to a fully fledged film in this full length feature, starring Ian Hendry as the titular MI5 agent, hired to assassinate a government spy.
Ian Hendry gives a great performance here ( despite his well documented problems ) and the whole thing is wrapped in a lot of mystery.
I’d never even heard of these two films, never mind seen them, so it was a joy to discover them on Indicator’s wonderful Pemini Organisation Blu Ray set.
Great interviews and extras for both these too.

MrBarlow 7th June 2022 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bloody Moon. 1981.

At a language educating school in Spain, someone is committing acts of brutal murders around the area.

Jess Franco's take on the teen slasher genre and like most of them the teens are played by 20 something year old's who still make stupid mistakes in running in the opposite direction, but it's a Jess Franco film so that can be ignored. He gives us a good taste of nudity, most of the time it's topless females but then goes down the path of extreme gore and nicely done killings, the acting may not be great but you can sit back and enjoy. :pop2::pop2:

Attachment 240516

trebor8273 7th June 2022 07:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsv_NQFbQzo

I love this film a devoiced woman and her two sons moves in with her farther. Soon the brothers learn that they face worse problems than Santa Carla being the murder capital of the world. Was Sam gay ? The posters in his room and who says to their brother I'm at the mercy of your sex glands!!

For years I believed the grandfather was a vampire with how he goes too the fringe gets his root beer which looked like blood and the final shot after he tells them about the vampires.

Supposedly they was going to be a post credit scene which goes back to the lost boys hideout and we see a picture taking around 1920 with Max and the lost boys in club/bar which was the hideout before a earthquake.

Now watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ickbVzajrk0

Nordicdusk 7th June 2022 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 240517

Buck Matthews is a vietnam vet from a small town where everyone knows everyone and outsiders are usually not welcome especially by the towns sheriff. Buck returns home after a stint in prison the find the place he calls home overrun by a biker gang operating from the desert on the outskirts. One night Buck is in the right place at the right time to stop a brutal rape but it's wrong place wrong time for his family after they hunt down his family and kill his wife. Left with his little daughter in hospital and a corrupt sheriff Buck is left with no choice but to take the gang down himself.

This was back when Gary Busey was normal so he just comes across as a normal man who just wants to live his life in peace. Buck is a believable character not doing the whole one man army thing just taking the gang down a couple of members at a time more guerilla warfare rather than taking down a whole gang with one clip in his gun. The acting is not the best and the gang are pretty non threatening they only seem to target lone females and never even seem too menacing around the town only driving through recklessly and the leader himself is just as lame as his gang of outlaws all he does whenever he is on screen is rev his bike loudly in a threatening manner of course.

Some decent moments mainly towards the end when the shit hits the fan and stuff is exploding left right and center but the final showdown is pretty disappointing. Definitely a one time watch.

MrBarlow 7th June 2022 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Final Terror. 1983.

A group of people camp out in a unfamiliar part of a forest and become targeted by something lurking in the woods.

Just your average killer in the woods movie but not exactly a high body count as we expect it to be, typical...I really don't know if the actors are meant to be late teens or adults, but after a prank goes wrong, one of the group goes in a huff and goes missing and the suspense starts.

As goes the 80s In The Woods type horror slasher there is a couple having a good time and the killer goes for the Coitus Interuptus but surely the high pitch scream would alarm a few people, but generally it doesn't...must be a very secluded part. You have the ones that find the abandoned cabin in the woods and still think it's smart to go in. You can tell the actors really wanted this to be good and do try even a young Daryl Hannah makes it worth watching, there is a generally good twist and a nice kill at the end.

Attachment 240518

Nordicdusk 7th June 2022 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 240519

Pete Mitchell is called back to Top Gun to teach everything he knows to the best pilots the air force has to offer. This is a top secret mission that no one is expected to return from but Maverick has other ideas but there is a personal connection to this mission Mavericks old wingman and best friend Goose's son is one of the pilots he must mentor and make sure he comes home safe.

I LOVE Top Gun so when this was announced there was a real mix of excitement and terror that they would destroy the whole thing but truth be told i always have faith in Tom Cruise and he always maintained that he wouldn't make it if it wasn't going to be right. As much as i love Top Gun my girlfriend is a super fan it's her favourite film of all time so there was added pressure going to the cinema to see this if i was disappointed she would be crushed but we had no need to worry Top Gun Maverick is bloody AWESOME.

Right from the get go the opening credits are the exact same as the original film same font shot the exact same way once the opening credit fade from black we are on board an aircraft carrier with jets reading to take off suddenly just as the engines ignite the Top Gun theme fades to Kenny Loggins Danger Zone and boom goosebumps i wasn't expecting that :clap:.

The whole film is shot beautifully so many edge of your seat moments and crazy stunts the actual flight scenes are so intense and exhilarating they really get the heart pumping. Throughout there are plenty of flashbacks to the original film but it was done so well that it wasn't overpowering or cheesey and it never felt forced it had a place and relevance to the story not just to pull of the nostalgia and trick you into thinking this was a great film. There are also a few lump in throat moments especially the return of Val Kilmer as Iceman and it hits even more because Tom Cruise fought so hard to make sure Val Kilmer returned for that one scene and you can feel the emotion between them was real.

Tom Cruise never leaves me disappointed and i'm glad he didn't disappoint my girlfriend or the cinema may have been burned to the ground :lol:

9/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th June 2022 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 671514)
Attachment 240517

Buck Matthews is a vietnam vet from a small town where everyone knows everyone and outsiders are usually not welcome especially by the towns sheriff.

Buck Matthews? Isn't that your porn star name? :D