Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th June 2022 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 671991)
I don't sorry and it'll be tomorrow when I get it out of my boxes. Does it maybe turn off the menu noises? Early blu-ray discs were stupid like that, especially the Sony ones.

Could have been, yes. I have seen 'menu sound on / off' buttons on other discs.

MrBarlow 17th June 2022 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Salpel. 1977.

A deranged surgeon restore's a beaten girl's face that almost resembles his deceased daughter.

This seemed to start off well and slowly becomes more psychological than a full blown horror film with the doctor having a split personality disorder, almost Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with some Dr Frankenstein persona.

The film's pace seems to go steady then fast with Robert Lansing being the mad doctor who has been cut out of a will and uses go go dancer Judith Chapman as a guinea pig for his plan. This is like a slow decent into being a good doctor then flick a switch to total paranoia. At times the acting can go over the top and some scenes lasting longer than what they should be but a nice little twist at the end.

Attachment 240689

Demoncrat 17th June 2022 08:49 PM

Wild In The Streets (1968, Robert Thom)

I always wanted to see this one after reading the novelisation years ago.
A pop singer becomes POTUS on a ticket of "youth power". Hilariously of its time and then some. Shelley Winters the storm :rolleyes::lol:
Richard Pryor turns up playing a drummer (maan) and there is a line that would have them all cancelled nowadays :pound:.
Here's a nice song to end on .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bGXP2FoNRE

MrBarlow 17th June 2022 11:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Paranormal Activity: Next Of Kin.

Sarah who was abandoned by her mother when she was a baby, travels to a remote Amish community with two colleagues and document the answers they find, only to find something evil.

I don't mind the previous Paranormal Activity movies, they aren't great but aren't terrible either, for me with this, it seemed a cash in on the name even though it was made by Paramount. The demon's name is mentioned slightly in the first film but that's it, it has no connection to the previous films. I thought this was to be a found footage but seems to jump from POV to normal, and has a slight rip-off from the film [REC]. Surely now this has to be the last one.

Attachment 240694

Demoncrat 18th June 2022 08:08 AM

Mind Killer (1987, Michael Kruger)

A nebbish thinks he's found the answer to his lack of a love life when he discovers an old manuscript.
The lead has one of those faces that screams WHO? Not a good start.
He develops a weird ability to "control" his prey, which is alternately hilarious and badly staged :lol:
The FX at the end was fun for all that.
Next!!!

Frankie Teardrop 18th June 2022 11:19 AM

THE LOST BOYS – Even though I know I must have seen them at some point, there are some movies I can never recall ever having watched. Strangely enough for such an ‘eighties watershed’, TLB is one of those. I can only think that I first laid eyes on it back when I’d only feel positive about really extreme or obscure stuff, then pegged it as a sixth form vamp fantasy for part-time goths before throwing it in with the rest of my mental garbage. These days, after so many years, I can finally see the good in it. Although maybe that’s a bit like visiting a murderous uncle at the end of their life sentence. Anyway, I like the bits that I like – the eighties stylistics, the misfiring comedy with Corey Feldman, the clunky generation clash “stand up to yer dad, Oedipus” kinda thing, and f@ck it, even the ‘sixth form vamp fantasy for part-time goths’ angle – think I don’t have a couple of Poppy Z Brite paperbacks still lying around? There are worse ways of doing nostalgia than to revisit this.

EVIL LAUGH – As ever with these movies (by which I mean, these bad, bad movies), one person’s irredeemable dreck is another’s triumph of incompetence. ‘Evil Laugh’ is even more complicated because I’m not entirely sure whether or not it’s intended as a spoof. Parts of it are. Then there are… the other parts. It’s a slasher movie – the slasher’s gimmick is that they have an evil laugh – geddit? I think that’s genius. It’s not even that much of an evil laugh (although one guy, tied to a chair awaiting a drilling, thinks so. “You have an evil laugh,” he says as the drill inches towards his cranium. Again, genius.) I don’t have time, space or the patience to list every one of the the very many missteps made by ‘Evil Laugh’, but just about my favourite is an extended musical interlude which shows the team of slasher fodder doing house work and DIY to a catchy new wave synth tune. That might not sound like much, but in the context of a slasher flick, it’s like “wha…?” Then again, I could just as easily mention the death-by-microwave scene, or just the generally quite weird filming style, which tends to use static shots based on conspicuously posed tableaus where everyone’s been bluntly positioned to fit in the camara field so it doesn’t have to move… odd, man, odd. Again, is it the result of some arcane vision or just total bollocks? I don’t have any answers, I never do, but I can’t deny that ‘Evil Laugh’ entertains with this incessant flow of low-level strangeness. Because of the comedy angle and the fact that there are a few mentions of Friday the 13th and Fangoria magazine, many fans and commenters seem to see fit to tag it as an example of pre-‘Scream’ self-referentiality and thus some kind of suave but unheralded slice of sophisticated genre deconstruction avant la letter. I don’t think so, it’s just a (partial, probable, possible) spoof. Even back in the eighties that kind of approach to things was fairly common. I take it as I find it – merely a really odd movie that doesn’t make sense. I would love to see this done up on blu ray, in fact there must be a reason why it hasn’t happened. It’d make a nice double with that other cruddy horror comedy baffler, ‘Iced’ – there, how’s that for faint praise?

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th June 2022 11:41 AM

I have Evil Laugh on dvd, Frankie. From a US company that may well be called Lucky 13 (Got a couple of their releases actually).

You sum it up rather well i think. It's just odd. I've probably seen it four times over the years.

I've seen The Lost Boys once.

Justin101 18th June 2022 11:57 AM

Don’t be coming for me with my love of The Lost Boys “death by stereo” and my Poppy Z Brite paperbacks lol… pretty sure I have Exquisite Corpse somewhere.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th June 2022 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 672013)
Don’t be coming for me with my love of The Lost Boys “death by stereo” and my Poppy Z Brite paperbacks lol… pretty sure I have Exquisite Corpse somewhere.

Didn't every horror and fantasy reader of the mid 90's buy or at least read this edition?

I know i did.

Frankie Teardrop 18th June 2022 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 672013)

Ha ha, that 'death by stereo' is such a top eighties moment! Poppy should've switched the Dahmer fetish for a few of those, but yes, I can see 'Swamp Fetus' from where I'm sitting.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th June 2022 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 672017)
Ha ha, that 'death by stereo' is such a top eighties moment! Poppy should've switched the Dahmer fetish for a few of those, but yes, I can see 'Swamp Fetus' from where I'm sitting.

I imagine your lair being full of fetus in dusty old jars.

Frankie Teardrop 18th June 2022 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 672019)
I imagine your lair being full of fetus in dusty old jars.

I line them up on top of my harpsichord and admire them when I get bored.

Justin101 18th June 2022 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 672015)
Didn't every horror and fantasy reader of the mid 90's buy or at least read this edition?

I know i did.

Haha, yes, that exact one…

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th June 2022 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last Night in Soho (2021)

As with Licorice Pizza last week Last Night in Soho was a film i'd heard just enough about to intrigue me into wanting to buy and watch without delving too deeply into their story lines before hand.

And just like Licorice Pizza this was fantastic.

It follows timid Cornish fashion student Ellie ( a superb Thomasin McKenzie) obsessed with the sixties who moves to London to attend the London College of Fashion. Unhappy with her student digs she moves into the Soho flat of an elderly lady (Diana Rigg).

That night Ellie dreams of being back in sixties Soho where she observes or perhaps becomes Sandie (An equally impressive Anya Taylor-Joy) as she goes about trying to become a night club singer at the Cafe De Paris and falls for the charms of wide boy entertainment manager Jack (A very out of character Matt Smith).

Pretty much from then on things get really f*cked up as dream blends with reality and ghosts from the past enter the present day with shocking results.

Imagine if you will 1959's Beat Girl crossed with The Woman in Black with an Argento-esq finale and that sort of sums up Last Night in Soho. It's a love letter to the swinging sixties but not the cool sixties, no, this is the sixties usually featured in messed up BFI Flipside releases by the likes of Gerry O' Hara and Arnold Miller. A sixties of degradation, permissiveness, sleaze and violence.

I really didn't know where the film was heading at all and the denouement was both unexpected and grittily violent as the film transformed from dark fairy tale to a nightmarish supernatural horror. There's such a juxtaposition from the stunning first eye opening shot of sixties London as Ellie appears opposite a cinema showing Thunderball (a sequence that looks magical on Blu-ray) to what happens at the end.

Director Edgar Wright has given the film a superb soundtrack of sixties music as well as songs which could be sixties music. From Taylor-Joy's gorgeous melancholy rendition of Petula Clark's Downtown to Sandie Shaw, The Kinks, The Who and Siousxie and the Banshees. Wright makes the songs as pivotal to the film as he did with his last outing Baby Driver (2017) and it all sounds so stunning in Dolby ATMOS.

Last Night in Soho is a neon drenched fantasy horror drama with a killer soundtrack that is a wonderful antithesis to the formulaic sequels and reboots clogging up cinema today. I heartily recommend it.

MrBarlow 18th June 2022 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ebola Syndrome. 1996.

A criminal wanted in Hong Kong travels to South Africa contracts the Ebola strain and returns to Hong Kong infected those he comes into contact with.

Not only does the Ebola strain make you seriously ill, according to the Japanese in this film it makes you horny as well. After a bit of a slow start laughable start to the film, the panic happens 30-40 minutes into the film and although I don't condone violence in any way towards woman, it is a bit funny how the main character contracts the virus.

The acting in this is not that bad switching from subtitled to near perfect dubbing, it's not over the top violence that we usually get from the Japanese films, it does have it's sick moments but nothing to gory or gut wrenching, this was enjoyable.

Attachment 240711

MrBarlow 18th June 2022 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Enter The Devil. 1974.

A art student comes across a crucifix and dreams that finds her being nailed to it and slowly becoming possessed.

Another Italian Exorcist rip-off, how many of The Exorcist knock-off's were actually made because I just keep seem to finding them. The young student Stella Carnacina is asked to restore a crucifix with a Christ like figure on it, who indeed is Ivan Rassimov who is in fact Satan and wants a soul. Only the Italians would make a film of possession that has some whipping with flowers, sexual antics and a plot that seems to go decently enough.

Attachment 240712

Demoncrat 18th June 2022 11:05 PM

Mad God (2021, Phil Tippett)

A thing of beauty.
The work that must have gone into it.
I'm not sure really what the point was, but then I may have to revisit this one sooner than later.
The one thing I will say is that a familiar face will turn up.
Recommended. :rolleyes::nod::behindsofa:

Demoncrat 19th June 2022 01:21 PM

1974: La Posesion De Altair (2016, Victor Dryere)

FF.
Skating over the "what domestic camera was available in mainland Europe at the time" :lol:
What we get is something that starts reasonably then crumbles in a welter of cliches. Did slightly jump at 2 bits for all that.

The Whisperer In Darkness

What with Stanley clearing his name (cough), it looks like we'll be getting his other two HPL adaptations I suppose.
So revisited this one. A bravau attempt to film something that hasn't really got the structure for it (original story being a series of correspondences betwixt two folk ahem). Some of this works, some does not. The end sequence has to be amongst these as it literally flies in the face of what he wrote ;)
Ahem.

MrBarlow 19th June 2022 06:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Faust. 2000.

A man wants to avenge the death of his girlfriend and sells his soul to a mysterious man, when the deed is done, M wants John to carry on the killings or he risks losing his girlfriend's soul.

I'm sure we all know the story about the man selling his soul to the devil which was a bit of a dark story, Brian Yuzna helms the director's chair with Andrew Divoff playing the mystery man known as M. He is a bit darker in this but not as Wishmaster, he still has the sinister look and voice. Mark Frost plays the lead John who tends to do some over acting at times but then we do get Jefferey Combs playing a decent policeman. This does seem mild for a Yuzna movie, there is blood in it but not his usual gore movie, this has always been good to watch every now and again.

Attachment 240714

MrBarlow 19th June 2022 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Female Vampire. 1973.

The last of the Karlstein family, Countess Irana looking for a life long partner which results in deaths.

When it comes to Eurotrash films we can always count on Mr. Franco to give us that and probably a lot more if he could get away with it. Lina Romay plays the female lead mute vampire Irana, who wears a cloak, a crotch belt and boots, yeah that's it. When you get past the nudity in the film there is a somewhat decent plot to the film with a nice dark atmosphere at times .

Attachment 240715

Demoncrat 19th June 2022 09:20 PM

It's just such a lot of nudity to get through ... :lol:;)

MrBarlow 19th June 2022 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 672053)
It's just such a lot of nudity to get through ... :lol:;)

And that's why we love it :pop2::lol:

nicholasrope 19th June 2022 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 671981)
Primal Rage. 1988.

A scientist at a university in Florida, doing research on dead brain tissue in Baboons creates a virus that gets unleashed.

Think Danny Boyle must have seen this film and it became the inspiration for 28 Days Later but with more gore that we love to see on screen, even though this has it's moments. Umberto Lenzi is credited to being one of the writers who probably thought the audience want to see people suffer at the hands of animals.

This was released when Halloween IV, They Live, Child's Play came out and probably fell under people's radar, 80s low budget cheese fest film so we get bad writing, bad acting same music and background score from other Italian movies and Bo Svenson playing a mad scientist. Ashamed to say this...but I enjoyed it.

Attachment 240687

These are the type of Films, I want to see releasing. The ones you would find in a Video Shop back in the day.

nicholasrope 19th June 2022 10:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Fire, Ice And Dynamite

Roger Moore is the eccentric Millionaire who stages a dangerous Cannonball Run type competition where the winners win his fortune whereas his Creditors miss out getting paid what they owed (Go figure) At first, I thought that this was really sloppy (As in it was too stupid) but when it gets the actual completion, the incredible stunts is where it shines.

Die Hard With The Vengeance

The 3rd film of the series (I don't recognize the other Sequels after this one) sees Jeremy Irons send Bruce Willis alongside Samuel L. Jackson (1st Film seeing him) on a wild goose chase, solving riddles whilst robbing a Gold Reserve and setting off bombs. Really enjoyable and shows that Serious British Actors make the best Villains.

Blastfighter

Italian take on the newcomer running foul of the locals and fighting back. Decent enough effort with it being 85 minutes, it doesn't overstay its welcome. Really good at the end where he shoots them with a high powered Gun as that's where the effects coming in. Michael Sipkow and George Eastman star.

Sipkow also starred in Massacre In Dinosaur Valley and Devouring Waves, which is a Italian Jaws rip-off, which I have seen the Trailer for and wouldn't mind a UK based company to release it.

MrBarlow 19th June 2022 11:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Enter The Devil. 1972.

In South West Texas where a cult once worshiped Satan, a Sheriff investigates a series of unexplained deaths. A journalist looks into these deaths and believes that the mysterious cult may still be active.

This was a bit of low budget and looks like its was mostly filmed in the back end of nowhere that gives it the isolation effect that this film needs. There is no big movie stars or people I recognize but they do try their best to make it believable. There is some tense moments and one or two bits that may be cringe worthy, it may be a slow/steady pace film but decent enough movie.

Attachment 240719

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th June 2022 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 672057)

Blastfighter

Italian take on the newcomer running foul of the locals and fighting back. Decent enough effort with it being 85 minutes, it doesn't overstay its welcome. Really good at the end where he shoots them with a high powered Gun as that's where the effects coming in. Michael Sipkow and George Eastman star.

Sipkow also starred in Massacre In Dinosaur Valley and Devouring Waves, which is a Italian Jaws rip-off, which I have seen the Trailer for and wouldn't mind a UK based company to release it.

He's called Sopkiw not Sipkow. :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th June 2022 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Prom Night (1980)

One of those classic slasher films that in all truth barely resonates as a slasher for the first hour, as to put it bluntly, sod all happens following the opening where a kid is killed falling from a window as his friends taunt him. Things then turn to the present day or six years later as the screen caption states. This is kind of strange as the kids who all appeared to be around nine or ten have all become fully fledged drinking, driving and f*cking adults and in Jamie Lee Curtis case 22 years old.

It does come to life in it's final third which has a tense stalking sequence through the dimly lit corridors of the school not to mention the head rolling down the stage murder which is a highlight of not just this film but slasher cinema in general.

The afore mentioned Curtis is once again in 'final girl' mode as she was in 78's Halloween and also Terror Train from 1980. Where Prom Night differs is *SPOILER ALERT* despite being the final girl she's never actually in any danger as the killer turns out to be her loving brother.

Unfortunately Prom Night is a typical 101 Films presentation on Blu-ray meaning yes it's in high definition (Thankfully) but it hasn't been restored and the image is plagued by dirt spots and flickers throughout.

iank 20th June 2022 09:04 PM

Ready Or Not. A young bride is not expecting to have play a game with her new in-laws on her wedding night - let alone one where the goal is to kill her. This 2019 comedy horror is still engagingly fresh, funny and gory and seems likely to become a repeat favourite. :nod:

MrBarlow 20th June 2022 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 672115)
Ready Or Not. A young bride is not expecting to have play a game with her new in-laws on her wedding night - let alone one where the goal is to kill her. This 2019 comedy horror is still engagingly fresh, funny and gory and seems likely to become a repeat favourite. :nod:

You gotta love the accidentally killing of Tina with the crossbow :pound::pound:

MrBarlow 20th June 2022 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cannonball Run II. 1984.

The Sheik from the previous Cannonball Run decides to open up a new race after his son disappoints him, with some of the original racers competing for the $1 million prize draw.

Burt Reynolds and Dom Deluise return to their seats with Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr teaming again this time as police officers in the race. Jackie Chan has a new driver/team mate in the form of Richard Kiel, did he struggle to get in and out of the car they had? This basically rips off some good films but the cast do bring their laughs a bit more.

Attachment 240734

iank 20th June 2022 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 672117)
You gotta love the accidentally killing of Tina with the crossbow :pound::pound:

I laughed out loud at that in the cinema. No else did. :lol:

MrBarlow 20th June 2022 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 672119)
I laughed out loud at that in the cinema. No else did. :lol:

It's the only thing you can do at that bit is just laugh

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th June 2022 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Man (2005)

Amiable fish out of water buddy comedy that's hated by many but i find an enjoyable if not exactly laugh out loud funny romp which sees dental salesman Eugene Levy implicated in an arms deal with Luke Goss' gunrunner so he gets thrown in with maverick cop Samuel L Jackson in stopping the deal before Internal Affairs comes down hard on him.

Basically if you like Eugene Levy and Samuel L Jackson playing themselves then like me you might enjoy this. It's undemanding viewing and one i can watch every few years.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st June 2022 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A Study in Terror (1965)

Fascinating Sherlock Holmes film where the great detective and faithful friend Dr. Watson get involved in the Jack the Ripper case.

John Neville makes for a rather fine Sherlock Holmes and it's a pity this was his one and only performance but Donald Houston's Watson gets lost in a role that is only sporadically well written. On the whole the casting is good in this Tony Tenser production. Frank Finlay is memorable as Inspector Lestrade (Wonder where Abberline is?) and Robert Morley plays Mycroft like only Morley can plus he also gets a scene with the wonderful Cecil Parker.

Playing out as much a Gothic horror as it is a Holmes story, the film features some gruesome murders for 1965 and thankfully dispatches the typically whiny, one dimensional Barbara Windsor, quite quickly at the hands of the ripper.

Pacy and involving, i rather like A Study in Terror.

MrBarlow 21st June 2022 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Race With The Devil. 1975.

Two couples on a road trip in a R.V. stop by a campsite and witness a satanic ritual. They report it to the local sheriff, when they set off they are hunted by the cult members.

A good classic 70s B movie with Peter Fonda and Warren Oates with their wives Loretta Swit and Lara Parker who decide to stop by a off the map road and witness a cult sacrifice and then the chase begins. R.G. Armstrong plays the local Sheriff who may know more about what's going on in and around his little town.

The dialogue isn't really the best Peter and Warren do try their best to keep things entertaining, but the chase scenes are good and can be a good tense moments right up to the end when everyone thinks they are safe and all hell can break loose.

Attachment 240746

MrBarlow 22nd June 2022 06:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Brood. 1979.

Frank Carveth tries to uncover a doctor's unconventional treatment on his institutionalised wife after his daughter comes back from a visit bruised and thinks there is a connection with a series of brutal murders that have been happening to the clinic.

This has always been one crazy weird film from David Cronenberg that I still find entertaining, Oliver Reed plays Dr Hal Raglan who is able to put his patients into a near hypnosis state that produces welts and sores on their body from their inner rage. Samantha Egger plays Nula Carveth who is the star patient and able to produce more than just welts on her body and create deformed dwarfs that she can control to do her bidding. Art Hindle plays Plays Frank who tries to uncover what Dr. Raglan is trying to do with his patients but at the same time trying to keep his daughter safe.

The writing by Cronenberg can only come from his own mind and inner rage manifesting itself in a strange way through warts and boils. Howard Shore's background score is brilliantly done and able to create a sense of dread at the right moment. The acting is brilliant from start to finish, Oliver seems very much calm through the film and explaining the brood and knows what can happen that leads to a good tense moment in the shed's attic.

Attachment 240750

gag 22nd June 2022 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 672160)
The Brood. 1979.

Frank Carveth tries to uncover a doctor's unconventional treatment on his institutionalised wife after his daughter comes back from a visit bruised and thinks there is a connection with a series of brutal murders that have been happening to the clinic.

This has always been one crazy weird film from David Cronenberg that I still find entertaining, Oliver Reed plays Dr Hal Raglan who is able to put his patients into a near hypnosis state that produces welts and sores on their body from their inner rage. Samantha Egger plays Nula Carveth who is the star patient and able to produce more than just welts on her body and create deformed dwarfs that she can control to do her bidding. Art Hindle plays Plays Frank who tries to uncover what Dr. Raglan is trying to do with his patients but at the same time trying to keep his daughter safe.

The writing by Cronenberg can only come from his own mind and inner rage manifesting itself in a strange way through warts and boils. Howard Shore's background score is brilliantly done and able to create a sense of dread at the right moment. The acting is brilliant from start to finish, Oliver seems very much calm through the film and explaining the brood and knows what can happen that leads to a good tense moment in the shed's attic.

Attachment 240750

Brood for it day is a very good and disturbing film, Cronenberg really does go beyond with some of his films and come up with something different, scanners and videodrome anyone, He really is certainly one of a kind, until he went mainstream and none horror there was only I think 2 films he didnt write, makes you wonder what goes on in people heads to come up with some of this stuff.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd June 2022 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 672166)
Brood for it day is a very good and disturbing film, Cronenberg really does go beyond with some of his films and come up with something different, scanners and videodrome anyone, He really is certainly one of a kind, until he went mainstream and none horror there was only I think 2 films he didnt write, makes you wonder what goes on in people heads to come up with some of this stuff.

It's interesting to see that Cronenberg wrote the first nine films he directed – The Dead Zone was the first based on someone else's material. Since eXistenZ (1999), he's written two of the eight films he's directed.

I'm not sure why Wikipedia says wrote Naked Lunch; it's based on a novel by William S. Burrows, someone who, with Kafka, is a major influence on Cronenberg's creative output.

Justin101 22nd June 2022 09:55 AM

He wrote the script adaptation from the book so it’s still technically written by Cronenberg even if the story was someone else’s.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd June 2022 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 672169)
He wrote the script adaptation from the book so it’s still technically written by Cronenberg even if the story was someone else’s.

That's true. It's different from The Dead Zone (screenplay by Jeffrey Boam) and M. Butterfly (play and screenplay by David Henry Hwang) because Cronenberg wrote the screenplay, so Naked Lunch is similar to Crash (based on J.G. Ballard's novel) in that respect.