Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

MrBarlow 4th July 2022 07:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 672745)
I had no idea either. I also don't care. :pound:

Are you telling us that these posters aren't tempting enough for you to go and have a look at these films :pound:

Attachment 240931 Attachment 240932

MrBarlow 4th July 2022 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rapid Fire. 1992.

Jake Lo goes into witness protection after seeing a Chicago mobster take out a Chinese heroin dealer. When the protection fails, Jake teams with Ryan, a detective who is stuck in the middle of a drug war that may end his career.

Like his father Bruce Lee, Brandon got recognized early in his career and done a great picture before being taken away from us at a early age, this one shows Brandon can carry a leading actor role playing Jake who teams with Powers Boothe to take down a drug war between Nick Mancuso and Tzi Ma who control the heroin supply and shipment. The acting is what you expect from a 90s movie, tough ruthless cop attitude that never gets dull, boring or drags on and there is some good fight scenes.

Attachment 240933

Demoncrat 4th July 2022 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Final Justice (1984, Greydon Clark)

Joe Don Baker surely has to play Trump in the inevitable Stone biopic surely??
Ahem.
Wanna watch JDB run around after Venenantino Ventinini? On Malta? :nod::lol:
Ahem. What's a good old boy to do when some bum plugs yer pardner right in front of y'all? Hunt the sum bitch down that's what.
Never mind the fact the ST reminded me of Auf Wiedhersen Pet in part or that it has a clear whiff of Brannigan about it :laugh:
A tad sluggish but overall a hoot. :nod:

Attachment 240934

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th July 2022 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Mummy (2017)

The film that was supposed to kick off Universal's Dark Universe film series which was basically going to be The Mummy, Dracula, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, Frankenstein's Monster etal in a shitty Marvel style reboot. Thank god for small mercies it didn't do as well as expected and this superhero monster madness was put back in the box titled ' F*cking stupid ideas'.

Starring Tom (Here on auto) Cruise and featuring Russell Crowe hamming it up as Henry Jekyll, The Mummy is a hugely flawed film but not without it's moments of watchability. There's some decent action but the actual Mummy is a concept that's largely irrelevant in movies today. A shambling bandaged figure just wouldn't shock unless the film is a small scale slasher style horror which this isn't. So the film sexes up the mummy by having her played by Sofia Boutella but then not really knowing what to do with her once she's alive and kicking so they chain her up in Jekyll's underground lair.

Although Cruise and Crowe are pretty much phoning it in they remain the films biggest draws and always grab the attention because of their screen presence and make sitting through it a better experience than the critics at the time would have you believe. I've seen this twice now, once on dvd and now on Blu-ray and it did improve second time around possibly helped by the impressive Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

MrBarlow 4th July 2022 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Lost Boys. 1987.

One of the classic 80s vampire flicks with a soundtrack, good acting from Carey Haim and Jason Patrick as the two new brothers in Santa Carla, Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander as the fearless vampire killers Frog brothers who scream and hold each other while a vampire dies in a bath of holy water. Kiefer Sutherland plays the leader of the pack David while guarding a secret head vampire, still love the beach bonfire scene.

Attachment 240936

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th July 2022 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 672751)
The Lost Boys. 1987.

I'm not a fan of this film but seeing your review did just inspire me to watch it for the second time.

However i have absolutely no idea where in my collection it is and i can't find it so i'm going with the recently released to Blu-ray Monster Man instead seeing as it's years since i saw that last and i can find the dvd.

MrBarlow 4th July 2022 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 672752)
I'm not a fan of this film but seeing your review did just inspire me to watch it for the second time.

However i have absolutely no idea where in my collection it is and i can't find it so i'm going with the recently released to Blu-ray Monster Man instead seeing as it's years since i saw that last and i can find the dvd.

Really? are you more of a Near Dark fan over The Lost Boys??

MrBarlow 5th July 2022 12:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Turbulence. 1997.

On a flight to Los Angeles, two criminals are being transferred and along side few other passengers, when a prisoner tries to over power everyone, Weaver steps in only for things to get worse.

Ray Liotta (R.I.P) plays the charming Ryan Weaver only for his psychotic side to kick in, Brendan Gleeson plays the hard nose prisoner Stubbs who hijacks the plane first with stewardess Lauren Holly playing the leading lady. This film does have quite a few noticeable flaws but this was still entertaining, even Ben Cross makes a good appearance, Liotta's performance has always been good to watch in this.

Attachment 240937

MrBarlow 5th July 2022 03:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Man On Fire. 2004.

Former C.I.A agent John Creasy takes on a job of bodyguarding a 9 year old girl Lupita , when she is kidnapped Creasy wages a one man war on those responsible.

This one I have always liked with Denzel Washington playing the lead as a hard drinking agent who nowadays won't be trusted looking after a pet let alone a 9 year old girl until he sobers up and goes on a warpath. There is a good character buildup with Washington and Dakota Fanning who manages to break the barrier on Creazy.

Christopher Walken plays the old agent friend Paul Rayburn who helps Creazy get the job and seems guilty about what happens and tries to help. Walken's performance in a film is always great to watch, even in this describing Creazy as a artist in death to Giancarlo Gianni is brilliant to see what a character we are watching. Radha Mitchell and Marc Anthony play Lupita's parents who may know something or hiding information on the kidnapping.

Director Tony Scott is able to give a prologue of kidnappings and then just takes a slow and not boring build up of things and manages to make tense moments more gritty with a man looking for answers and will dish out pain happily.

Attachment 240938

Have a great day all :cool:

Nordicdusk 5th July 2022 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 672752)

Have you checked on the shelf next to The Goonies for The Lost Boys Dem?

:lol:

Justin101 5th July 2022 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 672751)
The Lost Boys. 1987.

One of the classic 80s vampire flicks with a soundtrack, good acting from Carey Haim and Jason Patrick as the two new brothers in Santa Carla, Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander as the fearless vampire killers Frog brothers who scream and hold each other while a vampire dies in a bath of holy water. Kiefer Sutherland plays the leader of the pack David while guarding a secret head vampire, still love the beach bonfire scene.

Attachment 240936

I'm dying to rewatch this but determined to wait until the new 4k comes out in the autumn :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th July 2022 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 672762)
Have you checked on the shelf next to The Goonies for The Lost Boys Dem?

:lol:

The Goonies never went on a shelf. Just in the bin.

Nordicdusk 5th July 2022 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 672770)
The Goonies never went on a shelf. Just in the bin.

:pound:

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th July 2022 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Monster Man (2003)

A bizarre blend of frat boy road trip movie, Spielberg's Duel, Jeepers Creepers and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre that's both annoying and great fun at the same time.

The opening twenty minutes are mindless idiocy as two lads hit the road in order so one of them can tell his ex that he loves her before she gets married. The guys irritate the hell out of me with their constant squabbling and godawful banter. It's only when what can only be described as a monster truck tries to run them off the road does the film pick up and from then on it's a lot of comedy horror hijinks.

The fact they pick up a sexy hitchhiker adds to the dynamic no end before the film enters Texas Chainsaw territory with a nice left field twist in the final third.

Although the film isn't scary at all some of the comedy does work especially in the middle third whilst the final acts are gross out horror meaning on the whole Monster Man is a largely satisfying dollop of trash cinema.

I have absolutely no need to buy the 101 Films Blu-ray as the 2003 High Fliers dvd looks outstanding upscaled.

Frankie Teardrop 5th July 2022 04:16 PM

THE CARPENTER – Weirdly arty semi-slasher goes in for light surrealism over body count, and at some point it had me thinking that if early Channel 4 commissioned splatter movies, had been Canadian and could access Wings Hauser, this would be the inevitable result. Woman recovers from a breakdown in a big house with a bad rep; her hubby is a real shit, and we’re meant to think that when nocturnal handyman Wings comes along he’s the embodiment of her internalised relationship with crap maleness. It’s difficult to see the credulity-stretching radical DIY kills as anything other than the projections of a fragmented psyche, but by the end we see that maybe there’s some supernatural stuff going down for real. Nothing here is really outside of the slasher sandbox when it comes down to it but there’s a strange serenity in the air that I really liked. I would’ve preferred Wings in full demonic flight (he reigns it in a bit here) but ultimately, despite the floaty atmosphere, it’s the kind of movie where only silliness can prevail; the ending, with the sisters laying into the structure of the house because smashing its walls in literally has the same effect on Hauser, is a hoot. Otherwise, dig those blissed out synths on the soundtrack and a preponderance of quirk that I would hesitate to call ‘somehow a bit Lynchian’, but then hey guess what I just did? But the more pressing question is, “where is this on Blu Ray, or even DVD?”

THE BOY FROM HELL – Brilliant oddball Japanese Monkey’s Paw variant from Mari Asato, actually a Hideshi Hino adaption, in which a surgeon reanimates her dead child – he comes back as a real sickly-looking whelp who reminds me a little of the tyke from the end of ‘Phenomena’. TBFH packs a hefty dose of brain frazzle into its 54 minutes, and is by turns goofy, psychedelic and deeply, genuinely horrific in a way that only certain strains of Japanese horror seem capable of pulling off. The dirt-cheap minimalist video aesthetic really works, its frequent bursts of crude gonzo visuals somehow vaulting towards the visionary. It might not be possible to fathom all of TBFH’s strange depths - the giallo-esque soundtrack is an easy enough ask, but don’t try to guess why the detective turns Pinocchio - but general freakiness aside, somehow it all comes down to the Frankensteinian pathos of a ghoul child who just can’t understand why the other kids run away. If this can’t cut through a jaded palate, nothing can. Do yourselves a favour and watch TBFH.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th July 2022 04:58 PM

I watched Jaws last night, the second viewing of the 4K Ultra HD disc and I was again extremely impressed by the picture and sound quality. The skin tones, detail on clothing, and the sunlight on the water is astonishing for a 47-year-old film (on a 45th Anniversary disc).

As for the sound, the Dolby Atmos track is fully immersive, heightening John Williams' iconic score and the movements on board the Orca. It's probably not a demo track in the same way that a film with plenty of weather or gunfire would be, but it's a step up from a 5.1 mix.

Away from the technical aspects, the film is a joy. It's as much about a killer fish as it is about the relationships between Brody, Hooper, and Quint and how Chief Brody makes a personal journey from an aquaphobic New Yorker to someone who literally puts his life on the line by going on a fishing boat to save Amity Island from financial ruin.

The film is beautifully written, a splendid adaptation of Peter Benchley's bestselling novel, and the stripped-down narrative makes the two-hour runtime fly by – it would be a poorer film for including Brody's wife's affair with Hooper or the mayor's mob ties and financial woes.

I laughed, I jumped, and I made a mental note to watch it at about the same time next year.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th July 2022 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 672775)
I watched Jaws last night, the second viewing of the 4K Ultra HD disc and I was again extremely impressed by the picture and sound quality. The skin tones, detail on clothing, and the sunlight on the water is astonishing for a 47-year-old film (on a 45th Anniversary disc).

As for the sound, the Dolby Atmos track is fully immersive, heightening John Williams' iconic score and the movements on board the Orca. It's probably not a demo track in the same way that a film with plenty of weather or gunfire would be, but it's a step up from a 5.1 mix.

Away from the technical aspects, the film is a joy. It's as much about a killer fish as it is about the relationships between Brodie, Hooper, and Quint and how Chief Brodie makes a personal journey from an aquaphobic New Yorker to someone who literally puts his life on the line by going on a fishing boat to save Amity Island from financial ruin.

The film is beautifully written, a splendid adaptation of Peter Benchley's bestselling novel, and the stripped-down narrative makes the two-hour runtime fly by – it would be a poorer film for including Brody's wife's affair with Hooper or the mayor's mob ties and financial woes.

I laughed, I jumped, and I made a mental note to watch it at about the same time next year.

Something i noticed watching it on Saturday night was the first half hour or so isn't like the rest of the film. It's almost as if the camera is listening in on conversations of people reacting to the shark attack rather than anything that drives the narrative along. Conversations flit ina nd out of earshot and the things people say are often totally irrelevant to the plot.

Nordicdusk 5th July 2022 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 240944

Paul and his mother move to a new town where Paul has been invited to work with Dr. Johanson. Paul is a genius un robotics and has developed his own robot he calls BB. Paul installed artifical intelligence in BB who has time goes by he no longer is relying on Paul's commands but he is starting to learn for himself and becoming more intelligent and independent by the day. On Halloween night while out with BB Paul and his friends decide to pull a prank that goes wrong and BB is destroyed as a result which is a disaster that leads to something even worse when Sam Pauls friend and developing love interest is killed by her abusive father. Paul comes up with the idea that he can bring Sam back the same way he gave life to BB but obviously this is a terrible idea.

Bloody hell how have i not seen this before. I was hooked from the first scene when BB chokes out a would be car thief. I really like the story yes its just Frankenstein of the 80s but its still a great tale. The start of the film is more of a buddy film showing the development of the friendship between Paul Sam Tom and of course BB and eventually the romantic relationship that was starting to blossom between Paul and Sam that is cut short before tragedy strikes. The last quarter of the film has some great make up effects and some great kills especially the basketball kill was funny and bloody as hell and quite satisfying considering the victim :lol:

I have to give a special mention to the soundtrack there is some seriously great scenes that are given a totally different vibe when the music kicks in. I will have to investigate if there is a release somewhere.

MrBarlow 5th July 2022 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Conan The Destroyer. 1984.

Conan leads a small group with a princess and her bodyguard on a quest to find a jewel.

Arnie teams up with his new companion Malak plaayed by Tracey Walters, female warrior Zula played by Grace Jones, Mako returns as Akiro the wise wizard. Olivia D'Abo plays the young Princess Jehnna and Wilt Chamberlain as loyal bodyguard Bombaata, who Jehnna constantly screams out his name 3/4 of the film.

Did Arnie have something against Camels, in the first one he practically knocks one out, in this one the Camel recognises him, spits at him then Arnie whacks it on the head. Although this does have a bit of a serious tone to it like the previous film but this does have a bit of comedy or laughs added in. Basil Poledouris returns to compose the score and makes it feel more adventurous and medieval at the same time. still entertaining.

Attachment 240945

nicholasrope 5th July 2022 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 672780)
Attachment 240944

Paul and his mother move to a new town where Paul has been invited to work with Dr. Johanson. Paul is a genius un robotics and has developed his own robot he calls BB. Paul installed artifical intelligence in BB who has time goes by he no longer is relying on Paul's commands but he is starting to learn for himself and becoming more intelligent and independent by the day. On Halloween night while out with BB Paul and his friends decide to pull a prank that goes wrong and BB is destroyed as a result which is a disaster that leads to something even worse when Sam Pauls friend and developing love interest is killed by her abusive father. Paul comes up with the idea that he can bring Sam back the same way he gave life to BB but obviously this is a terrible idea.

Bloody hell how have i not seen this before. I was hooked from the first scene when BB chokes out a would be car thief. I really like the story yes its just Frankenstein of the 80s but its still a great tale. The start of the film is more of a buddy film showing the development of the friendship between Paul Sam Tom and of course BB and eventually the romantic relationship that was starting to blossom between Paul and Sam that is cut short before tragedy strikes. The last quarter of the film has some great make up effects and some great kills especially the basketball kill was funny and bloody as hell and quite satisfying considering the victim :lol:

I have to give a special mention to the soundtrack there is some seriously great scenes that are given a totally different vibe when the music kicks in. I will have to investigate if there is a release somewhere.

You can put this in the how has this not received a UK release pile?

I've only seen it because I found a old Ex-Rental VHS.

nicholasrope 5th July 2022 09:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Seventh Curse

When a Doctor saves a woman from a Worm Tribe, he is cursed and has to return to find a cure.

I have no idea how to describe this, it's bonkers, you get some crappy creature effects along with some good gore and some Martial Arts along with a casual scene where Children are sacrificed (Only in Asia) It's short but the dubbed version is 3 minutes shorter (Don't know why) it's definitely worth a watch.

This is one Film that is what is described by the cover unlike the write-up on the cover of The Devil's Honey.

Eve Of Destruction

An Android with the looks and memories of it's creator goes on a rampage and it's up to Gregory Hines and the creator to stop it. Even though it was made before Species, it has the same basic storyline. It has some nice scenes, a satisfying purchase for what I paid for it.

Retroactive

A woman comes a psychotic James Belushi and after surviving him, she comes across a secret facility where time travel has just been discovered and by accident she is sent back in time but only makes things worse.

Another purchase in the recent 88 Films HMV Sale and for me it's a little unearthed gem, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Belushi is great as expected.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th July 2022 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 672776)
Something i noticed watching it on Saturday night was the first half hour or so isn't like the rest of the film. It's almost as if the camera is listening in on conversations of people reacting to the shark attack rather than anything that drives the narrative along. Conversations flit ina nd out of earshot and the things people say are often totally irrelevant to the plot.

It's like Spielberg wants to give you a sense of time and place, to know who people are and how they interact with each other before narrowing the focus to three men versus a shark.

Even on board the Orca, we want Brody to survive and return to his wife and two children, for Hooper to go back to the Institute and wow them all with stories of the 25-foot shark he encountered off Amity Island, and for Quint to continue on his one-man revenge mission against sharks, seeking vengeance for what happened after the Japanese sunk the USS Indianapolis.

We want Mrs Kintner to know the shark that killed her son is not a threat to any other children, that no one else will suffer a loss like hers.

Demoncrat 6th July 2022 09:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Breeders (1986, Tim Kincaid)

Another one?
This time though, it's more or less C. H. U. D. with less clutter imho. A doctor and a detective team up to solve a series of seemingly random assaults. Told flatly with little verve, there is some claret (and a malfunctioning prop cough) and a slightly sordid tone, but for all that it held my attention. Hmmm.

Attachment 240950

MrBarlow 6th July 2022 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Punisher:War Zone. 2008.

Frank Castle tries to take out mobster Billy Russoti and fails only to disfigure him and starts off a revenge spree with his brother Looney Bin Jim to end Castle's reign as The Punisher.

I have always been a fan of the punisher movies and comics, Lundgren was good in the 80s film, Thomas Jane's performance was good but a bit of drama added in, this one goes full blown guns drawn and blood splatter. Ray Stevenson portrayal as Frank Castle is decent, and able to show guilt in away and dish out revenge his way without breaking a sweat.

Dominic West plays Billy/Jigsaw who wants revenge on a family who's accomplice he had was a F.B.I agent and Castle for ruining his good looks, he plays the character decently but tends to over act at times. Doug Hutchinson plays his brother Jim and I am not a big fan of the character as he tends to bring his dialogue a bit slow, was he told to act like someone who is going cold turkey from medication or what and tends to over act a lot more than anyone.

Colin Salmon plays the F.B.I agent Budiasnky assigned to the Castle/Punisher task force lead by Martin Soap played by Dash Mihok. One plays the tough guy and the other looks like he hasn't been in the field a lot and can bring some smirks or laughs to the screen. This is one took it's time to warm up to and enjoy.

Attachment 240953

MrBarlow 6th July 2022 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mary Poppins. 1964.

A magical singing Nanny helps two children become close to their busy neglectful working father with songs and adventure.

Like The Wizard Of Oz, no matter how old you are you still enjoy it and this one is still enjoyable with Julie Andrews who made the title character one nanny we all want to have. Dick Van Dyke plays Bert the musical street busker, pavement drawer and chimney sweeper who tags along for the singing and dancing. Michele Dotrice and Mathew Garber play the young children who look for a nanny that Mary Poppins meets their requirements that their father David Tomlinson doesn't approve of and mother Glynis Johns seems to have no say in the matter. Classic movie that never gets boring.

Attachment 240954

Is Mary Poppins Returns a decent watch??

MrBarlow 6th July 2022 06:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Monster. 2008.

Two American students in Tokyo record what seems to be a earthquake but turns out something else caused the earthquake.

Theatrical or Unrated version doesn't really help this rip-off from Cloverfield, that film had a alien this one had a giant Octopus...sorry spoiler alert, but we only see the tentacles. This probably sounded better in someones head and also good on paper but executing it on screen is a total failure, some bad movies are good for background noise but I can't even recommend it for that either.

Attachment 240955

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th July 2022 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 672819)
Monster. 2008.

Two American students in Tokyo record what seems to be a earthquake but turns out something else caused the earthquake.

Theatrical or Unrated version doesn't really help this rip-off from Cloverfield, that film had a alien this one had a giant Octopus...sorry spoiler alert, but we only see the tentacles. This probably sounded better in someones head and also good on paper but executing it on screen is a total failure, some bad movies are good for background noise but I can't even recommend it for that either.

Attachment 240955

Totally agree, Mr.B. Monster sucked!

MrBarlow 6th July 2022 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 672820)
Totally agree, Mr.B. Monster sucked!

I had some hope this would be as good as Cloverfield but that was quickly dashed, how I made it to the end is anyone's guess.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th July 2022 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 672821)
I had some hope this would be as good as Cloverfield but that was quickly dashed, how I made it to the end is anyone's guess.

Well i'm guessing you had other monitors to look at to pass the time. :lol:

MrBarlow 6th July 2022 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 672822)
Well i'm guessing you had other monitors to look at to pass the time. :lol:

Yeah:lol: and nice members of the public to assist, it's amazing how you miss a few minutes of that film and you really don't miss much :pound:

Demoncrat 6th July 2022 07:11 PM

H P Lovecraft's Witch House (2021, Bobby Easley)

Well, I found one that's worse than The Colour Out Of Space :lol:
The protagonist is called Gilman, they stay in an attic room, and there's a witch.
Here's where we and HPL separate somewhat :rolleyes::lol: as you really need some sort of budget to really tackle this particular tale imho.
This is lacking here. So what we get instead are some rats, some gore and some lesbian romping. All in really dark DTV. Seriously. :nod:
Avoid.

Susan Foreman 6th July 2022 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 672813)
Is Mary Poppins Returns a decent watch??

It's an entertaining time waster, but not a patch on the original

MrBarlow 6th July 2022 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 672830)
It's an entertaining time waster, but not a patch on the original

Thanks Susan xx

MrBarlow 6th July 2022 10:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Raid. 2011

A S.W.A.T. team become ambushed and trapped in a tenement building while trying to arrest a drug lord and his henchmen.

From a unknown director and a bunch of actors I never heard of , this becomes a fast paced adrenaline non stop action flick with plenty of shootouts, tense moments and good fight scenes. Director Gareth Evans isn't biased about who gets killed, the body count on both sides mount up, even the main actor Rama gets his fair share of ass kicking. Definitely one film that gets better with every watch.

Attachment 240960

Demoncrat 6th July 2022 11:01 PM

Crimes Of The Future (2021, David Cronenberg)

No, it's not a bloody remake! :lol:
Viggo and the bint from Twilight carry on in that well, Cronenbergian way.
With the news that he will hopefully be filming his novel next, this is a welcome return. His last film was a rather sour rejoinder to Hypocritewood, so don't go expecting a musical this time :laugh:
Recommended. :rolleyes::nod::hail:

MrBarlow 7th July 2022 01:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Shogun Assassin. 1980.

When the wife of a master samurai is killed, the man known as Lone Wolf and his son go on a killing spree for revenge.

This must have turned a few heads when it was aired as Lone Wolf And Cub with the blood splatter or was that just edited in when it was released under this name?? Tomisaburo Wakayama certainly knows how to handle a weapon or two and certainly not shy on who he kills. Only downfall I feel with this, it's builds up the trio of Masters Of Death and at the end, there isn't really a big fight for the finale. Still enjoyed this though.

Attachment 240961

MrBarlow 7th July 2022 03:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
China O'Brien. 1990.

After the killing of a youth in a fight, China leaves the big city and head home to her hometown, her father is the local Sheriff and killed, she decides to fight for the local Sheriff spot and clean things up with a few friends.

If the plot sounds familiar then it is, somewhat female version of Walking Tall with a shady business man, corrupt cops and plenty fighting sequences from start to finish. Cynthia Rothrock stars as the lead with her own fighting skills, teaming up with Richard Norton and Keith Cooke and some high school teens as deputy's for the final confrontation. The pace can be a bit slow at times but decently enough to watch and enjoy.

Attachment 240962

Have a good everyone :rockon:

Justin101 7th July 2022 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 672846)
Shogun Assassin. 1980.

When the wife of a master samurai is killed, the man known as Lone Wolf and his son go on a killing spree for revenge.

This must have turned a few heads when it was aired as Lone Wolf And Cub with the blood splatter or was that just edited in when it was released under this name?? Tomisaburo Wakayama certainly knows how to handle a weapon or two and certainly not shy on who he kills. Only downfall I feel with this, it's builds up the trio of Masters Of Death and at the end, there isn't really a big fight for the finale. Still enjoyed this though.

Attachment 240961

Shogun Assassin is the first two Lone Wolf films re-edited and released with an American dub. I highly recommend the Criterion box set of all 6 films plus Shogun Assassin if you can get it past the wife unnoticed lol…

MrBarlow 7th July 2022 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 672848)
Shogun Assassin is the first two Lone Wolf films re-edited and released with an American dub. I highly recommend the Criterion box set of all 6 films plus Shogun Assassin if you can get it past the wife unnoticed lol…

When there is a will there is a way :lol: I'm sure I can try it...somehow :pound:

Justin101 7th July 2022 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 672849)
When there is a will there is a way :lol: I'm sure I can try it...somehow :pound:

I tried... and failed when I bought the Shout F13 box set, got it in the flat without notice easy enough, but as soon as it was on the shelf it was noticed... "that's new and looks like it cost more than £100...." I can't keep a straight face in that situation so the jig was up immediately haha :D

Lone Wolf though, easy, it's a Criterion digipak the size of 2 discs, can easily get away with that one haha :lol: