Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

gag 8th July 2022 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
R I P James caan, only watched this a couple nights ago before he sadly passed away, great films with plenty of feel good action done right, these are the kind of films should be rereleasing to watch at the cinema, the action in this would be great to watch on a big screen.

Demoncrat 8th July 2022 05:10 PM

Nude Tuesday (2022, Armagan Ballantyne)

A couple receive a trip to a retreat run by Jermaine Clement as part of a anniversary present. What transpires was reasonably funny.
Still reeling from that Cronenberg flick, so it's comedy weekend in this lair :rolleyes::lol:
The film's dialogue is mainly a made up "language" that may remind some of Norwegian cough. Subtitled by Julia Davis (in the UK anyhow), so there the humour lies. Some might say, how pretentious. I say, give it a chance, at least there's no Jack Whitehall cameo :laugh:
Ahem.

MrBarlow 8th July 2022 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kickboxer: Retaliation. 2018.

A year after defeating Tong Po, Kurt wins a MMA fight in Las Vegas, he is drugged and sent to a prison in Bangkok to face a murder trial. While there he is given a choice by a fight promoter face fighter Monkut, if he wins he will receive his freedom and $1 miilion dollars or stay in prison.

Alain Moussi returns to the role of Kurt who seems happy at his win then thrown into jail and is met by another inmate Briggs played by Mike Tyson who doesn't like his meditation to be interrupted. Christopher Lambert plays the promoter Thomas Moore who really doesn't fit the villain type. JCVD returns as the now blind Durand and mentor who along with Brings train Kurt more harder to fight off Hafthor Julius Bjornsson in a fight. This was a good sequel, bits in between seem to drag on but the fight is better choreographed in this and Moussi's acting improved a bit more than the previous film.

Attachment 241006

MrBarlow 8th July 2022 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit. 1988.

A private investigator and who hates toons, is the only person cartoon character Roger Rabbit can turn to for help when he is accused of murder.

I got no idea what made me return to this film, I haven't seen it in ages, this is like a lot of films we enjoyed from Disney, a mix of live action with cartoon that director Robert Zemeckis was able to ring to the screen with a very large budget at the time.

Bob Hoskins plays the hard drinking private detective Eddie Valiant who hates toons and we soon know why is paid by cartoon producer R.K. Maroon played by Alan Tilvern to spy and take pictures of Jessica Rabbit voiced by Kathleen Turner playing "Pattycake with Toontown owner Marvin Acme played by Stubby Kaye.

Christopher Lloyd plays the local Judge, Lloyd's performance can be good and terrifying at the same time when his true character shows, talk about giving kids nightmares for life. This was one of those films I worn out on VHS and probably the dvd as well at some point. After not watching it for a while I forgot how funny it can be.

Attachment 241007

MrBarlow 8th July 2022 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Seytan. 1974.

Got no idea why I searched for this one, this is the Turkish version of The Exorcist, Beyond The Door got hammered by Warner Bros yet this one is near word for word, scene by scene imitation and never got touched, the classic gave us Captain Howdy, this one gave us Captain Lersen. the famous Tubular Bells is played throughout the who film, guess they couldn't get Fantasia For Strings? This is very low budget as you can tell by the cheap camera use, the bed jumping scene was just too hilarious to take seriously, but at least we got mushy peas instead of pea soup.

Attachment 241008

MrBarlow 9th July 2022 01:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Police Story. 1985.

The first of the Police Story series by Jackie Chan, the plot is simple, the police want a crime boss and attempt to arrest him, corrupt paid off lawyer gets him away as a free man and then the mobster frames the cop for a crime and his secretary who is under police witness protection. After the first five minutes it's not stop action with Jackie doing some of his best stunts right to the end from hanging onto a bus with a umbrella to sliding down a pole getting electrocuted.

Attachment 241009

Demoncrat 9th July 2022 08:16 AM

Brian & Charles (2022, Jim Archer)

Was impressed with the short that inspired this film, so gave this a go. Reasonably gentle humour.
An inventor finds friendship when he builds a robot :laugh:
Just don't go expecting Maximillian :pound:
The writing could have been a tad more creative, but for a first attempt fair play. Recommended if you loved Detectorists etc ....

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th July 2022 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors (1965)

The first of the Amicus anthology films and one of the best. Largely great with it's scenarios - the killer vines, Christopher Lee and the severed hand - but the Roy Castle voodoo one i always find a slog.

Ends brilliantly as we discover who Peter Cushing really is.

The Screenbound blu-ray, restored by Pinewood Film Studios in 4K, is absolutely stunning in it's picture quality.

Justin101 9th July 2022 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 673004)
Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors (1965)

The first of the Amicus anthology films and one of the best. Largely great with it's scenarios - the killer vines, Christopher Lee and the severed hand - but the Roy Castle voodoo one i always find a slog.

Ends brilliantly as we discover who Peter Cushing really is.

The Screenbound blu-ray, restored by Pinewood Film Studios in 4K, is absolutely stunning in it's picture quality.

The two docs on that disc are really good too!

For the record I quite like the voodoo one actually.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th July 2022 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 673008)
The two docs on that disc are really good too!

For the record I quite like the voodoo one actually.

I'm saving the docs for during the week as filler. I have seen the Nucleus hour long doc as it was on Screenbound's dvd but not he Lee one.

As much as i like jazz i do find the long sections of Roy Castle playing in the club slows the segment down to a standstill.

MrBarlow 9th July 2022 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Police Story 2. 1988.

Inspector Chan now demoted after his apprehension of crime boss Choo who is now out of prison seeking revenge, Chan helps the police force in tracking bombers who are targeting business owners.

This sequel shows that Jackie can mix comedy and fighting with a serious side of acting, it has three different stories spliced together that doesn't really seem like a normal Jackie Chan film. Relationship problems with his girlfriend from the first movie, a extortionist bomber willing to blow up any building and play cat and mouse with the criminal who he arrested. There is good fight scenes and of course some good stunts that the outtakes show that things don't go to plan.

Attachment 241033

MrBarlow 9th July 2022 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Mechanic. 2011.

Arthur Bishop who is a hitman is assigned to take out his mentor and friend Harry after a botched operation. Harry's son Steve is taken under Arthur's wing and teaches him the tricks of the trade and uncover who set it up for Harry's death.

A decent modern remake from the 70s Charles Bronson thriller, Jason Statham teams with Ben Foster as the young apprentice who quickly learns how to be a contract killer. Although Donald Sutherland is only in the film for a short while he does bring good acting to his character. Tony Goldwyn plays Arthur's boss who manages to be outsmarted by his daughter says a lot for a man who can organise a hit but can't organise himself to stay alive. Decent action packed film.

Attachment 241038

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th July 2022 10:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Operation Mincemeat (2021)

A detailed, well scripted, finely acted account of one of the greatest deceptions ever - That of persuading Hitler that the Allied invasion of Europe would come via Greece rather than the intended starting point of Sicily - All thanks to a corpse and a file of secret documents.

It's an intriguing story made even more fascinating because of the absurdity of the plan itself and a good cast of stalwart British actors (Colin Firth, Matthew Macfadyen, Kelly Macdonald, Penelope Wilton, Jason Isaacs...) ensure the story is constantly involving and at times gripping to watch even though this is clearly not your average war drama.

A nice sub-plot involved a certain Lieutenant Commander Ian Fleming seemingly getting ideas along the way for a novel he was planning.

J Harker 9th July 2022 11:02 PM

Thor - Love and Thunder.

What the hell was that? I love the MCU, no shame. But crikey this was a mess, tonally infuriating. Nuts that Ragnorok is one of my faves, this is way down the bottom of the list. Plus side, Christian Bale was good. Felt like he was in a different film.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

MrBarlow 10th July 2022 02:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Righting Wrongs. 1986.

Jason Chan, a prosecutor is fed up with the system protecting criminals, when a key witness and his family are murdered, Chan decides to take the law into his own hands and finds himself up against a female C.I.D Inspector Cindy Si.

Hong Kong star Yuen Biao leads this film as the main prosecutor for the courts who wants to see justice done but fails when witnesses are being killed. Cynthia Rothrock plays the Inspector who is tasked by looking into the killings. At times the dubbing really doesn't match up to the actors and makes it look more comical. Karen Sheperd and Peter Cunningham both good accomplished fighters do have good fight scenes with the two leads. Entertaining.

Attachment 241042

Justin101 10th July 2022 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 673038)
Thor - Love and Thunder.

What the hell was that? I love the MCU, no shame. But crikey this was a mess, tonally infuriating. Nuts that Ragnorok is one of my faves, this is way down the bottom of the list. Plus side, Christian Bale was good. Felt like he was in a different film.

Currently sitting in the Odeon and maybe regretting my life choices it’s about to start in 10 minutes lol…

Demoncrat 10th July 2022 10:17 AM

The King's Man (Matthew Vaughn)

And I thought it was Spud :lol:
Set just before WWI, we get to see the events that inspired the creation of this august body of folk.
Woke? About as woke as it gets, which only annoys history buffs like myself, yes I know it's not a bloody documentary ....
For all that I was more taken with this than the last one tbh.

J Harker 10th July 2022 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 673045)
Currently sitting in the Odeon and maybe regretting my life choices it’s about to start in 10 minutes lol…

Looking forward to your thoughts Justin.

Justin101 10th July 2022 10:57 AM

I didn’t hate it, quite funny and action packed but the tone is a bit wonky you’re right, cartoon style Guardians of the Galaxy fights one second and super serious scenes the next.

4 Guns n Roses songs though, always a plus!!
I liked it way more than Doctor Strange.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th July 2022 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 673049)
I didn’t hate it, quite funny and action packed but the tone is a bit wonky you’re right, cartoon style Guardians of the Galaxy fights one second and super serious scenes the next.

4 Guns n Roses songs though, always a plus!!
I liked it way more than Doctor Strange.

Sweet Child O' Mine and which three others?

I heard Sweet Child during an interview with Portman.

Justin101 10th July 2022 12:43 PM

What Films Have You Seen Recently?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 673052)
Sweet Child O' Mine and which three others?

I heard Sweet Child during an interview with Portman.

Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City and November Rain (the rockin bit with the epic guitar solo)

Also Dio’s Rainbow in the Dark!

J Harker 10th July 2022 12:47 PM

Dio's awesome Rainbow in the Dark kicks in on the ends credits too. Nice surprise to sit through the end credits with.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th July 2022 01:48 PM

I want to see the Thor film now.

Even though i know it'll be shite.

All Thor films are.

Justin101 10th July 2022 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 673057)
I want to see the Thor film now.

Even though i know it'll be shite.

All Thor films are.

If you watch it with that attitude you'll probably think it's OK :lol: I did... haha

Dave Boy 10th July 2022 03:03 PM

It's director Taika Waititi again. Making the movies comedy, firing jokes every minute.
He did not even know Natalie Portman was in Star Wars movies.
This is the director of an upcoming Star Wars movie project!
Not good.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th July 2022 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 673061)
It's director Taika Waititi again.
This is the director of an upcoming Star Wars movie project!
Not good.

What's this one called?

Star Wars: Revenge of the Woke?

Dave Boy 10th July 2022 03:32 PM

Yeah, most probably the way things are going and the way things seem to be with him.
There were a few loud groans at certain scenes from the audience at the new THOR when I saw it.

J Harker 10th July 2022 05:43 PM

It's self indulgent nonsense. Taika Waititi missed the point of why Ragnorok worked entirely. Thor was a serious character, against a quirky comedic backdrop. Love and Blunder takes that quirky humour that worked so well as a contrast to Thor's often pompous delivery and he soaks the whole film in it. It often felt like a spoof, and not in a good way, the jarring serious scenes felt so out of place. And the soundtrack doesn't save it at all really. Best bit was Rainbow in the Dark on the end credits. The use of November Rain was farcical in the scene it was in.
Obviously if like Dem you think all Thor films are crap then don't bother with this rubbish.

MrBarlow 10th July 2022 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Blood Freak. 1972.

A biker meets a woman after helping her change a flat tire, she takes him home to a drug fuelled party and accepts a job on the turkey farm unaware her father is a mad scientist.

from the start we have a very shaky camera so people that suffer motion sickness be advised, even I was feeling dizzy with it, co-writer/director Steve Hawkes plays the lead Hershell who helps a lady in distress and basically becomes a guinea pig to her father. At 79 minutes this film felt longer, the acting is never great, a delay with a leg being sawn off to the scream, a turkey mask that does seem genuine but certainly one not to take seriously. Co-write/director Brad Ginter does make a appearance every so often as the on screen narrator.

Attachment 241044

Nordicdusk 10th July 2022 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 241045

Beavis and Butt-Head are back with their ultimate goal and thats to score going to any lengths to get it done finally. After a complete disaster at the school science fair the boys destroy the school gym and everyones projects. Everyone expects Beavis and Butt-Head to end up in jail but lucky for them the judge in the case watched Touched by an Angel the night before and it changed his view on second chances :lol:. Instead of punishing them they are sent to space camp at NASA what could possibly go wrong.

Obviously when i heard this was coming out i was worried that it would ruined by the times we live in and it would be diluted for a modern audience. I was wrong its still the Beavis and Butt-Head of old with plenty of dick boobs and arse jokes. I was honestly laughing the whole time it felt more like Beavis and Butt-Head save the universe by not afraid to being themselves :lol:

Just as hilarious as it was back in the day.

Nordicdusk 10th July 2022 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 241046

A cop that never sticks by the rules is on one of his many suspensions when he is approached by the FBI with a way to cut his suspension short. The job is to go undercover to infiltrate a biker gang called the brotherhood who are making big moves in the drug market.

Bikes chicks rock n roll boobs and Brian Bosworths amazing mullet i shouldnt really need to say anymore than that :lol:

Stone Cold is such a great film really enjoyed the story and all the fast paced action bike chases fist fighting hairy drunk bikers shooting beer cans off each others heads. With all the things i mention the film is not cheesy in anyway. Brian Bosworth is tough as nails but he isn't a one man army just single handedly busting everyones heads which makes the story more believable. The acting is all good with Lance Henriksen as Chains the President of the Brotherhood and always a favourite of mine William Forsythe as Ice his second in command.

I can't drive home this next point home hard enough to everyone Brian Bosworths Mullet is a work of art especially in the opening scene when he shows up in the supermarket magnifique i repeat MAGNIFIQUE :lol:

Recommended if you enjoy having fun :lol:

Nordicdusk 10th July 2022 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 241047

Oh look a group of city dwelling 20 somethings heading to the woods with their smartarse attitudes and disrespect for nature and local traditions. These "kids" are heading up to do some camping but the area has a killer past and the sheriff is worried that no good will come to this kids if they go messing about and poke their noses in places they should not be. In this place there is a legend about Viking Beserker warriors and what they would do to their enemies and also that the spirit of these warriors lives on through their ancestors as long as the bloodline survives.

This started out as all these films do teens drinking smoking dope getting pulled over by the cops for some stupid reason and the teens not listening to any sort of warning so nothing new so far but the story was original so i was interested to see how this would go. It didnt go well when it comes to the kills not that there are many most of the people in the film survive which is rubbish for a start anyway when the kills are happening it just looks like the people getting mauled are get getting rubbed with a big furry glove and everyone ended up with the exact same cuts in the exact same places of their bodies every single kill is a carbon copy of the one before :lol:.

Bad acting and bad kills is one thing but the pay off in this was bloody trash with the final show down just left me sitting here saying WHAT THE F****************

Not recommended.

MrBarlow 10th July 2022 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 673084)
Attachment 241047

Oh look a group of city dwelling 20 somethings heading to the woods with their smartarse attitudes and disrespect for nature and local traditions. These "kids" are heading up to do some camping but the area has a killer past and the sheriff is worried that no good will come to this kids if they go messing about and poke their noses in places they should not be. In this place there is a legend about Viking Beserker warriors and what they would do to their enemies and also that the spirit of these warriors lives on through their ancestors as long as the bloodline survives.

This started out as all these films do teens drinking smoking dope getting pulled over by the cops for some stupid reason and the teens not listening to any sort of warning so nothing new so far but the story was original so i was interested to see how this would go. It didnt go well when it comes to the kills not that there are many most of the people in the film survive which is rubbish for a start anyway when the kills are happening it just looks like the people getting mauled are get getting rubbed with a big furry glove and everyone ended up with the exact same cuts in the exact same places of their bodies every single kill is a carbon copy of the one before :lol:.

Bad acting and bad kills is one thing but the pay off in this was bloody trash with the final show down just left me sitting here saying WHAT THE F****************

Not recommended.

It's amazing how ill we get and we end up watching shit, remember Nordi no matter what you do...you can never unsee a bad movie :lol:

Demoncrat 10th July 2022 08:45 PM

My goodness, that poster reminds of The Wall somewhat.
Ahem.

One Cut Of The Dead (2017, Shinichiro Ueda)

Finally got to see this one. Was it worth the wait? Yes ... and no tbh.
A film crew making a horror film end up battling real monsters. Sounds great doesn't it? Well .... it is and it isn't. I had high hopes with this one, and I just felt that it didn't hang together properly. Though I may have not been in the right frame of mind tbh. Still thinking about that Cronenberg flick. It's been years since a film left such an impact tbh. The last one was Calvaire.
Ahem.

Nordicdusk 10th July 2022 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 673086)
My goodness, that poster reminds of The Wall somewhat.
Ahem.

One Cut Of The Dead (2017, Shinichiro Ueda)

Finally got to see this one. Was it worth the wait? Yes ... and no tbh.
A film crew making a horror film end up battling real monsters. Sounds great doesn't it? Well .... it is and it isn't. I had high hopes with this one, and I just felt that it didn't hang together properly. Though I may have not been in the right frame of mind tbh. Still thinking about that Cronenberg flick. It's been years since a film left such an impact tbh. The last one was Calvaire.
Ahem.

Its almost the same.

nicholasrope 10th July 2022 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 672936)
Kickboxer 3: The Art Of War. 1992

David and Xian travel to Rio for a Kickboxing exhibition and uncover a child slavery and prostitution ring.

Sasha Mitchell and Dennis Chan return, this time in South America and meet somewhat rich man who promotes fights and has a business thing going on the side which seems to upset our American heroes who try and break it up. Sasha's acting does seem a bit wooden in this but does make up with the big fight. This was one of those that must have went straight to video and for what it's worth this was decent, sadly not available to get number 4 and 5 so Kickboxer: Vengence is up next.

Attachment 240993

I believe that you stopped watching this set of Kickboxer Films at the right point. Whilst Mitchell is in IV, Quissi is not and Tong Po was back. It looked weird, not seen number 5.

MrBarlow 10th July 2022 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 673091)
I believe that you stopped watching this set of Kickboxer Films at the right point. Whilst Mitchell is in IV, Quissi is not and Tong Po was back. It looked weird, not seen number 5.

From watching The Amityville films...there is a point where to stop unfortunately with them I stopped at the wrong point, with Kickboxer I'm not going to look for the other two. Good call with the third though Nicholas, that was better than I thought it would be.

nicholasrope 10th July 2022 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 672938)
Attachment 240994

Ten years after he witnesses his brother get murdered in Thailand Jake is back to avenge his brothers death. Jake is now a cop and is on an undercover mission to bring down an organisation making kung fu snuff films. Haunted by the memories if what happened to his brother at first he turns down the case but after watching one of the films the man who killed his brother appears on screen and Jake knows the time has come to settle the score.

Holy shit the film is so hilariously bad the fights are decent enough but the acting is so shockingly bad the whole film is like an 80s arcade game with Jake looking like the hero in every single beat em up you ever played :lol:. He spends most of the film shouting in peoples faces while they try conduct a normal conversation and his constant overly dramatic screams of anguish are just mind blowing :lol:. Then there is Billy Blanks matching Loren Avedon every step of the way for crown of worse actor in the film :lol: . Towards the end of the film they dont even bother remembering the main characters name and they start calling him Jack instead of Jake :lol:
Just to top it off the end of the film they throw in a few random explosions just so our hero can stand in front of the flames with his new gal in his arms :lol:

After all is said and done is this an entertaining film? Hell yeah it is it never gets boring at any stage well worth watching if you need a good laugh.

Recommended if your in that sort of mood :lol:

So love this Film, watched it many times:

I remember on my 15th Birthday. I got 20 quid (A lot of money back in those days) and I remember on a Saturday back in 95 in November, I got Dance Mania 95 (Had many of the biggest Dance Hits of that year) instead of Shine 3 (Yes I remember) and picked up the 4 Front Video (Oh the memories of them and Cinema Club) of King Of The Kickboxers for 6.

Many years later whilst browsing the HMV DVD Racks, I notice that Universal had released a DVD for the same price (Weird) so obviously I bought it however the picture was poorer (For a DVD) I've looked for a Blu-Ray but it's only under German Import under the title Karate Tiger 6 (Can't buy it due to the disrespect lol) 88, anyone, a UK release would be very much appreciated.

Anyway when I watched the DVD, I noticed that there was an extended scene, this was where they were shooting a Film in the Garage and the DVD showed a cover being pulled off and revealing a dead, bloody, naked Woman an Blanks placing the guy on the hook. The VHS cut off that scene at where Blanks bashed the head on the table.

The Movie that Avedon watched (At least the talking was from No Retreat, No Surrender 3: Blood Brothers which starred Avedon and a couple other actors from King Of The Kickboxers.

Also Avedon and the Actress apparently couldn't stand each other.

Billy Blanks does make a convincing Villain.

Nordicdusk 10th July 2022 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 241049

A woman has a lucky escape from a serial rapist and murderer who is terrorising a seaside town. She is the first victim to survive but she also got to see his face when he removed his mask but unfortunately for the cops because of the trauma she suffered she has blocked the face from her memory. After trying to kill herself she is saved by a stranger who turns out to be a different rapist living in the same town now she is his sex slave. What are the chances.

Oh god this was terrible :lol:. There is so much happening in every scene that makes no sense for example our main female character gets a phone call that starts out all calm suddenly she is screaming her head then playing with her boobs in the mirror then a second phone call that has her in a panic and fear so much going on in less than a minute :lol:

The killer wears a mask and a runner glove with long rubber claws but manages to rip through all his victims chests stomachs and out their backs and even worse its the exact same kill over and over the same shot each time maybe the colour of blouse changed once :lol:. In many of the scenes when the camera cuts away from our female lead when it cuts back she has a totally different hairdo going on :lol: Also the same tune is playing over and over through the whole film which was annoyed the t**s off me.

Some bits made me laugh but thats not a good thing.

Demoncrat 10th July 2022 09:42 PM

Fragasso innit? Never forget he brought us Troll 2 :loveeyes::lol::hail: