Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179496Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The 28th Reich A rather spritely tale about time travel, metal nazi spiders and....well, isn't that enough?? Apparently part of a series ala the old serials etc, was ok in a ok kind of way.
As mates hadn't watched The Boxer's Omen, didn't give them Attack of the Herbals to enjoy. Their loss. Then they text me and say that because its R1, they can't watch it.....first time i've had to deal with that in a while!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:49 AM
Ex-member

saw BROKEN on horror channel last night
not bad but seen many better low budget Brit horrors
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:30 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
metal nazi spiders
Blimey - why is everything about spiders nowadays?

Look - they have lots of legs and eyes. They are creepy and they can walk up walls

Spiders are NOT NICE - OK?
fuzzymctiger likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Spiders are amazing!

I heart spiders lots.

The slight frissons to be had from their otherness just makes them more wonderful.
Pete likes this.
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched a couple of remakes this weekend on blu-ray, Footloose and Fright Night.

Footloose sucked. And not just because it's a dance film, because I don't really mind the original! The main character was annoying (and looked like Lou Diamond Phillips crossed with a duck), the music was all either bad covers of the 80's tracks from the first one, or completely unremarkable MOR rock/hip-hop. Also, the kids danced all the way through it, which made the end pretty redundant.

Fright Night was better, but not a patch on the original. There was nowhere near enough Evil Ed, so I didn't even remotely give a shit about him or his broken friendship, there was a ton of just throwaway stuff in the script (why make a point that he collects trainers? It meant nothing at any point!), the CGI monster vampire bits were poop and the last 20 minutes or so were complete cheddar. Toni Collette was wasted, but Farrell and Tennant were excellent. Mintz-Plasse could've been AMAZING given more to work with, so that's a missed opportunity for sure.
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:47 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
Fright Night was better, but not a patch on the original. There was nowhere near enough Evil Ed, so I didn't even remotely give a shit about him or his broken friendship, there was a ton of just throwaway stuff in the script (why make a point that he collects trainers? It meant nothing at any point!), the CGI monster vampire bits were poop and the last 20 minutes or so were complete cheddar. Toni Collette was wasted, but Farrell and Tennant were excellent. Mintz-Plasse could've been AMAZING given more to work with, so that's a missed opportunity for sure.
Interesting. I thought Mintz-Plasse was dreadfully miscast and ineffective in the part and wondered if they had shed more scenes of his for this reason? I think they were wise to keep Evil Ed to a minimum in the remake. I agree that more Toni Collette was needed, she was excellent in what little we saw of her.
Old 2nd July 2012, 02:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I like him as an actor, and I think he could've done a lot more with the role given more screen time. I think he comes across as miscast because the writing was so shit. I found it quite difficult to grasp where his anger and persistance was coming from, because there wasn't any real context behind it, so ultimately, when he gets turned then pops his clogs, I just didn't care at all.

Also, his fight was too reliant on stupid wire work and flying about doing flips and shit.

It makes me sound like I'm criticising it for not being along the lines of LTROI, but even for a popcorn film it was missing any sort of characterisation.
Old 2nd July 2012, 05:29 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Zombie Women of Satan (2010)

An excellent low budget British horror comedy. I had little in the way of hope for this and held off watching it as i thought it may be amateurish rubbish but was hugely surprised. It has excellent cinematography and a supremely witty script played to perfection by an excellent yet unknown cast. I actually laughed out loud several times. The dwarf taking a dump in the woods was side splitting, all down to the actors facial expressions whilst doing it.

The film features buckets of bloody mayhem with largely impressive gore effects which juxtapose nicely with the laughs. Zombie Women of Satan should sit well with all fans of The League of Gentlemen, in fact its far superior to the League's own film from a few years ago.
Old 2nd July 2012, 06:06 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Blimey - why is everything about spiders nowadays?

Look - they have lots of legs and eyes. They are creepy and they can walk up walls

My Tarantula Reggie would strongly disagree.
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 2nd July 2012, 06:08 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
My Tarantula Reggie would strongly disagree.
PICS PLEASE!

Like this? Share it using the links below!