Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

MacBlayne 10th August 2022 03:57 AM

Carter

CARTER

Carter is the latest action extravaganza from Jeong Byeong-Gil, the lunatic behind 2017’s The Villainess. And if you thought that film teetered on the edge of insanity, then Carter is a freefall descent down the abyss.

Carter can be somewhat described as Crank meets Resident Evil meets The Bourne Identity meets John Wick meets Mad Max: Fury Road meets every Steven Seagal film meets Rope. And this is Carter’s blessing and curse. Using a lot of digital trickery, Carter is one long tracking shot that flies above the action, swoops between combatants, and dives under moving vehicles.

As you may have noticed from the logline, Carter is not especially focused on plotting. Really, the plot is an excuse for the jaw-dropping action that barely lets up. The film is constantly dialled to 11, captured by a swirling camera, and may turn you off. If you anyways susceptible to motion sickness, Carter will turn your living room into a vomitorium.

However, where moronic trash like Fast and Furious tries to use modern technology to cram cartoons into an established reality, Carter, like Michael Bay’s Ambulance, uses modern filmmaking to erode reality into a surreal facsimile. Ambulance does it much better, as Carter suffers from a budget much lower than its ambitions. It’s easy to spot all the digital tape, although I did stop paying heed after about 30 minutes. The one-shot approach means the many stabbings uses distracting digital blood, and the CGI helicopters stand out like the average Marvel rubbish.

However, Carter pushes further into surrealism than Ambulance does. Carter is what Fast and Furious pretends to be. This is a film with exploding teeth, bodies flying 50 feet in the air and crashing into buses, goons swinging from helicopters, and waterfalls of zombies. Sometimes, even the backgrounds become deliberately fake. One scene had a revelation, and all the surrounding colour seemed to slowly drain away.

The performances are another thing that makes Carter stand out from other films. Everybody is clearly in on the joke, but nobody is going to betray the gag. Joo Won is adept at delivering many beatdowns, but displays a comedic sensibility that sells his character’s confusion. The supporting cast range from scenery chewing, to conveying enough melodrama to sell the tone. Another element I liked, and probably due to it being a Netflix production designed to appeal to non-Korean audiences too, is the use of foreign extras. These extras are even given some lines, betraying their lack of experience. It feels like a delightful late 80s Hong Kong production.

This is why I ended up loving Carter. Like those Hong Kong films, it’s a scrappy effort that uses every trick in the book to reach beyond its means. Carter is bound to delight as many as it will infuriate. I recommend watching it, because even if you end up hating it, there will be the odd moment where you can’t help but smile at the audaciousness of it all.

And that’s Carter. Maybe not as good as Jimmy, but better than Billy.

J Harker 10th August 2022 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 674502)
Troll (1986)

Just noticed Cex will give me either a £13 voucher or £9 cash for the Eureka Troll / Troll 2 set.

Sayonara, Trolls.

Do I take this as a recommendation not to buy?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2022 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 674596)
Do I take this as a recommendation not to buy?

My copy has now gone to Cex. :lol:

For me it was a one watch experience. The documentary film was the best thing about it. I couldn't see me ever watching it again and i really couldn't see me watching Troll 2.

Troll was just bland Charles Band puppet nonsense, no different to stuff like Ghoulies, Hideous or The Creeps, that Full Moon, Charles Band era of 80'/ 90's movie making

Demoncrat 10th August 2022 04:29 PM

Whereas Troll 2 is a prime Italian cheese fest. Ahem.

FF double bill.

Followed (2018, Antoine Le)

Youtuber cajoles his inner circle to stay over Halloween at a haunted hotel.
He's an arse, so couldn't wait to see him get his. Sadly it goes all Korean (US flick cough) for a bit and the final reveal was under ... whelming to say the least.

Death Of A Vlogger (2019, Graham Hughes)

Maryhill bound (hmm, they flats look awfy familiar ...) for a recap of a tale of twisty turny folk.
YT folk seem kinda needy tbh. This one likes pranks, so when a seemingly authentic event is captured by accident, a new horizon beckons ... or does it?
Needlessly convoluted mair like ken? :lol:
Ghostwatch was fun, but jist do yir ain thing mannie ahem.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2022 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 674616)
Whereas Troll 2 is a prime Italian cheese fest. Ahem.

After Death, Beyond Darkness and Night Killer are prime Italian cheese fests, all of which i am delighted to own. Troll 2 is just shit. ;) Plus it's more American than Italian any day of the week. Take Fragasso's name off it and everyone would just think it was a typically poor Full Moon munchkin fest.

How many horror films did he direct after Troll 2? I'll give you a clue. None, zilch, zero. It was so poor it killed his career stone dead. :lol:

I bet Frankie T absolutely loves it.

Demoncrat 10th August 2022 05:59 PM

:laugh:

Speaking of cheese ....

Monster Shark (1984, Lamberto Bava)

When people start to go missing along a coastal stretch and a rather large tooth is found ....
Various folks have their say about this situation, the sherrif wants to kill it with fire and local science types want to preserve it for posterity. No one asks the beastie. Like the rest of his work, this is a mixture of dross and hilarious nonsense. The dub just adds to this. 4K NOW dagnabbit!! :laugh::nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2022 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 674622)

Speaking of cheese ....

When people start to go missing along a coastal stretch and a rather large tooth is found ....
Various folks have their say about this situation, the sherrif wants to kill it with fire and local science types want to preserve it for posterity. No one asks the beastie. Like the rest of his work, this is a mixture of dross and hilarious nonsense. The dub just adds to this. 4K NOW dagnabbit!! :laugh::nod:

Dare i ask what the shark looks like in this? Not the nicked footage from Jaws or whatever but the actual shark that does the killing.

trebor8273 10th August 2022 06:36 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DWu_dT0Phc

A disgruntled general has taking over the rock and has chemical rockets pointed at San Francisco unless his demands are met. Hope lies in the only man to escape the rock , the original James Bond , Sean Connery himself who teams up the Nicholas Cage who plays a FBI chemical weapon expert . Even in 60s Connery shows he can kick ass with the best of them. a enjoyable and fast paced action movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olvpk5BXWCI

One of the best action movies of the 90s , here Cage plays a army Ranger whom accidentally kills a man and is sent to prison , nine years later he's released eager to meet the daughter he has never seen, but the plane he's on is highjacked by some of the worst criminals on the planet led by Cyrus the Virus ( John Malkovich) it's up to Cage to stop them along with help from John Cusack FBI agent we also have Steve Buscemi as deranged psychopath who for some reason I wanted to escape . A none stop action flick. Lots of shit definitely blows up.

Now watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-nDX0BeFoQ

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2022 06:38 PM

Excellent double bill there, Treb.

Mojo 10th August 2022 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 674623)
Dare i ask what the shark looks like in this? Not the nicked footage from Jaws or whatever but the actual shark that does the killing.

Never seen this one myself, but I’m thinking it might look a bit like this:

Attachment 241637

trebor8273 10th August 2022 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 674627)

Attachment 241637

Had one of these as a kid, seen the prices these go for on eBay.

Susan Foreman 10th August 2022 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 674622)

Speaking of cheese ....

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 674627)

Attachment 241637

Demoncrat 10th August 2022 07:48 PM

Quote:

Murk and teeth and tentacles is all I can remember. Hence my desperate wish for restoration ahem .... :pray:

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2022 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 674635)
Murk and teeth and tentacles is all I can remember. Hence my desperate wish for restoration ahem .... :pray:

Well tentacles is one word i don't generally associate with sharks.

nosferatu42 10th August 2022 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 674598)
My copy has now gone to Cex. :lol:

For me it was a one watch experience. The documentary film was the best thing about it. I couldn't see me ever watching it again and i really couldn't see me watching Troll 2.

Troll was just bland Charles Band puppet nonsense, no different to stuff like Ghoulies, Hideous or The Creeps, that Full Moon, Charles Band era of 80'/ 90's movie making

"You can't piss on the Troll films, I won't allow it !!!!

Attachment 241642

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2022 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 674637)
"You can't piss on the Troll films, I won't allow it !!!!

Attachment 241642

First time viewing you really think he's going to piss on the kid don't you as that's what the kid did over the dinner table.

nosferatu42 10th August 2022 08:20 PM

I'm not a massive Troll 2 fanboy like some, but to me it's worth keeping for the piss on the table, Popcorn lovemaking witch woman and the Noooo scene.

I really liked the original as well when it first came out, i'd have been 12.
I've got a double bill dvd that will do me just fine.

I would however rather watch them than the Pirates films any day of the week though.

:behindsofa:

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2022 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 674640)
I'm not a massive Troll 2 fanboy like some, but to me it's worth keeping for the piss on the table, Popcorn lovemaking witch woman and the Noooo scene.

I really liked the original as well when it first came out, i'd have been 12.
I've got a double bill dvd that will do me just fine.

I would however rather watch them than the Pirates films any day of the week though.

:behindsofa:

It must be a child thing then like The Goonies and crap like that. I never saw Troll as a kid. I avoided stuff like that. The first film i ever rented was Scanners, followed by Treasure of the Four Crowns and The Kindred so it was adult stuff all the way with me. Never rented kids films.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2022 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Brides Wore Blood (1972)

A regional offering from Florida. The acting is average at very best, but the plot amuses, think Rosemary's Baby with added vampires as a vampire patriarch basically auditions young women round the dinner table to be his son's vampire bride.

I did find the scenes of Occult vampiric rituals satisfying, in fact the whole film was actually really enjoyable, despite some woeful joke shop fangs.

Would be lovely if this was put out on Blu-ray as my Retro Media could certainly be improved on even if it is a decently pleasing transfer.

(Waits for chorus of "It's on Vinegar Syndrome")

MacBlayne 11th August 2022 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 674624)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olvpk5BXWCI

One of the best action movies of the 90s , here Cage plays a army Ranger whom accidentally kills a man and is sent to prison , nine years later he's released eager to meet the daughter he has never seen, but the plane he's on is highjacked by some of the worst criminals on the planet led by Cyrus the Virus ( John Malkovich) it's up to Cage to stop them along with help from John Cusack FBI agent we also have Steve Buscemi as deranged psychopath who for some reason I wanted to escape . A none stop action flick. Lots of shit definitely blows up.

I showed this to my wife last weekend. Every ten minutes she'd point and say, "I've seen him before!"

She rooted for the badguys because they just wanted to escape. She really liked Cyrus because he was realistic about issues, and he really hates rapists (interestingly, when Cyrus notices an unconscious Johnny 23 handcuffed, he doesn't care enough to inquire, or release him). She wanted the badguys to get away in the end.

She was especially delighted with the ending...

"Yay! He got away! I liked him a lot!"

"The guy who murdered all of those kids?"

"... Yes."

MacBlayne 11th August 2022 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 674641)
It must be a child thing then like The Goonies and crap like that. I never saw Troll as a kid. I avoided stuff like that. The first film i ever rented was Scanners, followed by Treasure of the Four Crowns and The Kindred so it was adult stuff all the way with me. Never rented kids films.

When a friend showed me Trolls 2, and it came to the bit where ghost grandpa warns the kid to not let the family eat the sandwiches, I said, "I'd laugh if the kid just pisses all over the food."

Well, I laughed.

Demoncrat 11th August 2022 08:35 AM

The Vampire Is Still Alive (1989, Godfrey Ho)

Ostensibly a "sequel" to Robo Vampire :pound:
When two movie sorts accidentally disturb a Taoist ritual, their weekend doesn't go to plan.
In the Hoverse, time and space swap places, logic flies out the window and language ceases to have meaning. Or something.
Features a sequence that puts it up there with Xtro, It's Alive! and Men :lol:
Ahem.

Justin101 11th August 2022 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 674654)
The Vampire Is Still Alive (1989, Godfrey Ho)

Ostensibly a "sequel" to Robo Vampire :pound:
When two movie sorts accidentally disturb a Taoist ritual, their weekend doesn't go to plan.
In the Hoverse, time and space swap places, logic flies out the window and language ceases to have meaning. Or something.
Features a sequence that puts it up there with Xtro, It's Alive! and Men :lol:
Ahem.

Sounds good :lol: will I find that one on YouTube?

Demoncrat 11th August 2022 09:32 AM

Yup, look for .... Robo Vampire 3 ;):lol::pop2:

ENJOY

Justin101 11th August 2022 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 674656)
Yup, look for .... Robo Vampire 3 ;):lol::pop2:

ENJOY

Also, kind of still reeling from that scene in Men, do I really want to see a Hong Kong version of that :lol: :D

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th August 2022 11:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A Taste of Blood (1967)

Synopsis from Wiki seeing as i can't be bothered to write one

Quote:

A Miami businessman, John Stone, receives a parcel from England containing two old bottles of Slivovitz brandy from his recently deceased ancestor, and after drinking both bottles, becomes a vampire. Stone uses his newfound vampire powers to keep his wife, Helene, in a trance as he travels to England to kill the descendants of Abraham Van Helsing that murdered Count Dracula. Meanwhile, Helsing's distant relative, Howard Helsing, pursues Stone with the intent to put the reborn vampire to rest for good.
In a nutshell the vampire scenes are good and gory it's just that in a film lasting two hours there really aren't enough of them. There are however interminable periods where people simply talk and talk and talk. Sometimes they are stood up but but more often than not sat down. Take a shot of vodka every time the principle characters look like they are sat around the set of a tv soap opera and see how long you last.

The Gruesome Twosome (1967)

Mrs. Pringle and her mentally disabled son run a wig shop. The question is where do they get the hair for their products?

A lot more fun than A Taste of Blood, and thankfully fifty minutes shorter too. This has some genuinely great and gross gore especially the opening scalping which the camera takes slow delight in lingering on.

I laughed at one point when 'crazy son' pulls a girls liver out from below her belt buckle. A bit of basic biology might have been helpful in the realism stakes, Herschell.

MacBlayne 11th August 2022 01:30 PM

Firefox

FIREFOX

Clint Eastwood’s Firefox is a generic spy techno-thriller that lumps the political exposition of Robert Ludlum with the techno fetishism of Tom Clancy (admittedly, Clancy had yet to debut as a novelist). What it lacks is the flair of Ian Fleming, or the heart of John LeCarre.

Maybe I was high on cleaning fluids (I just finished my period of isolation, and sterilized my flat), but I was so engrossed in the film that I forgot about my glass of ale. Firefox is the type of film we used to take for granted – a genre exercise directed with solid craftsmanship.

Watching Clint hide out in a Moscow Metro train commanded my attention. That’s Clint on a real train, doing laps around real metro stations, all lit up with actual lighting. Even when Clint skulks to a bathroom, you know the filmmakers searched up and down the city (Vienna) to find a location that matched the requirements of shooting, as well the tone.

Also, being a film from that era, it takes time to breathe. Granted, the exposition scenes ramble on far too long (I get it – Russia built a superjet!), but Eastwood includes little character moments that give him and his cast something to sink their teeth into.

The film is complimented by some gorgeous anamorphic photography, and Maurice Jarre’s score sounds a little Superman-ish, but the visual effects by John Dykstra are a letdown. The filmmakers are trying to replicate the dogfights from Star Wars, but where Star Wars’s battles take place against the black void of space, Firefox throws its action against cloudy skies, snowy mountains, or sparkling daytime oceans. The black matte lines become way too obvious. There are some cool bits though, such as the experimental jets’ supersonic waves tearing the ocean or rapidly evaporating the snow into mist.

Firefox is film with not much worth talking about, but shows how much we have lost. I saw this many years ago and was bored senseless. Now, I found it to be an enjoyable afternoon timewaster. Definitely worth a gander whenever it pops up on ITV.

Demoncrat 11th August 2022 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 674657)
Also, kind of still reeling from that scene in Men, do I really want to see a Hong Kong version of that :lol: :D

Nothing so "graphic" here, so fear not J!! ;)

davcol 11th August 2022 06:53 PM

I been watching a few comedies like Harold and Kumar, Tropic Thunder, Stir Crazy Trading Places. Also watched the Prestige for the first time since it came out and Clints final western Unforgiven.

MrBarlow 11th August 2022 07:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cameron's Closet. 1988.

A father experiments with his son's psychokinetic abilities and unleashes a demon that wants to possess his body.

I hadn't seen this film since I rented it back in the day, written by Gary Brander of The Howling to create a movie with the Monster in the closet spook era that scares young kids. It has one or two decent deaths with Tab Hunter and Gary Hudson, the gore and blood are very lacky with some predictable so called jump scares. The acting is very 80s cheese fest but decent enough, only snag is the ending the monster really doesn't do much and seems very rubbery but it was enjoyable to see it again.

Attachment 241649

MrBarlow 11th August 2022 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mechanic: Resurrection. 2016.

Arthur Bishop is living a peaceful life on a island when his foe kidnaps his girlfriend and tasks him to assassinate three people and make them look like accidents.

Jason Statham returns as the man who can kill people and make heir deaths look like accidents and here this film makes the deaths look good. Jessica Alba stars as the love interest Gina and Sam Hazeldine as the old friend and enemy who wants Bishop for a job that comes with a twist that is slowly found out. Aside from the good cinematography and explosive kills and a small appearance by Tommy Lee Jones, this is not the best sequel for Statham but passes the time though.

Attachment 241650

MrBarlow 12th August 2022 12:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Grudge. 2004.

An American nurse living in Tpokyo, goes to care for a dementia patient at her home and is exposed to a supernatural curse.

American's seem to have a thing for remaking horror films, Sam Raimi had the good idea of hiring the director of the original film and allowed him to run loose with this remake and is able to make it work. The original was a bit darker and that's why Ju-On The Grudge and Ringu are enjoyable to watch due to the Japanese believing in superstitions and bringing them to the screen.

Sarah Michelle Gellar plays the young nurse Karen, who is sent in to a house to care for Grace Zabriskie and see's what is tormenting her, which some parts are told in flash backs. Takashi Shimizu is able to hold your attention from start to finish with some memorable moments with Takako Fuji with her role as Kayako and her groan.

Attachment 241651

MacBlayne 12th August 2022 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 674686)
The Grudge. 2004.

An American nurse living in Tpokyo, goes to care for a dementia patient at her home and is exposed to a supernatural curse.

American's seem to have a thing for remaking horror films, Sam Raimi had the good idea of hiring the director of the original film and allowed him to run loose with this remake and is able to make it work. The original was a bit darker and that's why Ju-On The Grudge and Ringu are enjoyable to watch due to the Japanese believing in superstitions and bringing them to the screen.

Sarah Michelle Gellar plays the young nurse Karen, who is sent in to a house to care for Grace Zabriskie and see's what is tormenting her, which some parts are told in flash backs. Takashi Shimizu is able to hold your attention from start to finish with some memorable moments with Takako Fuji with her role as Kayako and her groan.

Attachment 241651

Since living in Japan, I can confirm that there is definitely a difference between how Japan and the West view the supernatural.

It's hard for me to explain this properly, but Japan seems to view ghosts less of spirits lost on this world, but as an energy imbalance. It's often why those unfortunate people usually kill themselves in an isolated environment, so that the bad luck doesn't linger at home. A suicide at a large house (or even a vicious murder) can bring the price crashing down because many believe the bad energy is here.

Should enough people fall victim to this bad energy, it becomes sttonger and can manifest itself into a demonic entity. Japan already has demons called oni, but they are mostly harmless, preferring to avoid humans, and are mostly mischievous. But this other thing craves suffering, torment, torture, and death as it feeds off the fear.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th August 2022 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972)

Vincent Price returns as the grizzled Dr. Phibes in what is essentially a rerun of the first film except the majority of the action swaps London for a steam steam going ocean liner followed by a trip into the Egyptian Valley of the Kings.

The film keeps the campy fun values as well as one or two ingenious murders but on the whole isn't just as good as The Abominable Dr. Phibes. Terry Thomas (in a different role) returns in a blink and you'll miss it cameo as does Peter Cushing and i was wishing wooden co-star Robert Quarry did like wise. Thankfully Vincent Price is 'er priceless in hammy roles like this and always entertains whilst the production values are a step up all round.

MrBarlow 12th August 2022 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Grudge 2. 2006.

This picks up where the second film ended, Amber Tamblyn taking the lead is sent to Japan to bring her sister Karen home and finding out what happened, teaming up with journalist Edison Chen and uncover the origins of kayako.

Three school friends visit the famous haunted house that does not go well and fell they are being followed by the spirit of Kayako and Toshio. Trish played by Jennifer beals moves in with her boyfriend and his children and soon things begin to wrong with the neighbours and their daughter before it affects the family next door.

Some sequels never really live up to the hype or frenzy of it's predecessor but this one had me entertained from start to finish, ok the jump scares are a bit predictable at times but director Takashi Shimzu is able to create a bit more of a darker tone with this and paces things up to the last 15-20 minutes of the film.

Attachment 241659

MrBarlow 12th August 2022 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Grudge 3. 2009.

A young Japanese girl travels to America to the apartment block where Kayako was last seen and tries to stop her before she infects the people living in the building.

This is set...some time after the second film with Jake from the second film in a psychiatric hospital and new people moving into the Chicago building where the shit hit the fan at the end of the second film. Toby Wilkins takes the directors chair and Aiko Horiuchi replaces Takako Fuji as Kayako, but the budget must have been lower than the previous two films. The Japanese knew when to call it quits after two films, why did we have to have a third installment, this did start of...interesting then then went down hill to the point of no return.

Attachment 241660

MrBarlow 12th August 2022 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tough Guys. 1986.

Tow old gangsters are released from prison who try to go straight end up causing more trouble than they realise.

Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas play the ageing gangsters Harry and Archie who served 30 years for a train robbery and released into modern day 80s and things have changed. Dana Carvey plays their parole officer and tries to introduce them to modern day America while Charles Durning plays the arresting officer who wants them to screw up and take back to prison and Eli Wallach as a near sighted hitman.

Both main leads still had some miles in them while trying to smooth over two ladies but still able to bring a laugh and a smile to the screen with some of their good one liners that are well written and nicely directed at a good pace.

Attachment 241663

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th August 2022 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 674742)
Tough Guys. 1986.

Tow old gangsters are released from prison who try to go straight end up causing more trouble than they realise.

Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas play the ageing gangsters Harry and Archie who served 30 years for a train robbery and released into modern day 80s and things have changed. Dana Carvey plays their parole officer and tries to introduce them to modern day America while Charles Durning plays the arresting officer who wants them to screw up and take back to prison and Eli Wallach as a near sighted hitman.

Both main leads still had some miles in them while trying to smooth over two ladies but still able to bring a laugh and a smile to the screen with some of their good one liners that are well written and nicely directed at a good pace.

Attachment 241663

When i first saw this on dvd i was surprised at how smutty it was. :lol:

Nordicdusk 12th August 2022 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 241662

We get to see the rise of Elvis through the years from poor white boy living in an African American part of town to the larger than life start he became and up until his death through the perspective of his manager Colonel Tom Parker the man responsible for most of the bad decisions throughout Elvis's career.

After the rave reviews of this film i was excited going as an Elvis actual Elvis fan and even hearing his own daughter praising the film so highly but does it live up to the hype weeeeeellllllll not really.

The first stumbling block for me is the director Baz Luhrmann im not a big fan of his style i mean he uses colour very well but he makes a lot of films just look like a pop music video and that definitely didnt suit a film about Elvis. One scene stood out like a sore thumb bare in mind this is 1950s America Elvis is strolling down Bourbon Street and the music and there is rap music playing over the scene and this happens again a bit further in to the film absolutely ridiculous it actually mad me mad that i felt like not watching the rest of the film.

The on stage stuff is all great with so much attention to detail with outfits Elvis wore on stage and i was really impressed with how accurate Baz was with the different jumpsuits Elvis sported during his Vegas years even many of the lesser known suits mad and appearance which was great to see not just the usual white ones.

Running at 2 hours 40 minutes the film still feels very rushed and i would of preferred he had released this in two parts even just 6 months apart because he just glosses over so many big moments during Elvis's career the worst was the exclusion of the Aloha concert the biggest world wide viewing of any single artist and it was only given a brief mention which is an absolute joke the pinnacle of the mans career how is this missing HOW.

The problem with this films is they really do focus on the worst aspects of the persons life the film just shows Elvis as this miserable person all the time when the truth it that he was full of life and always playing practical jokes on his friends and the Memphis Mafia we don't get to see the fun side of him yes there is a tough times in the mans live but i hate seeing him defined by that and not seeing the true person.

I will watch the longer version if it's ever made available but apart from that i wouldn't watch this again sadly.

I wont lie i did shed a few tears at the end when they used real footage of Elvis starting with the very sad footage of him singing Unchained Melody extremely overweight and drenched in sweat but you can see he is giving it his all or as much of his all he could give.

One day will might get a film that shows why this man was called The King and is more than some fat man that people make joke about. I was hoping this was it but it wasn't. I haven't seen John Carpenters Elvis i must watch it again soon im pretty sure thats a better film from what i remember.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th August 2022 09:25 PM

Nice write up on Elvis, Nordy.